BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-28-2013, 11:39 AM   #45
Fifty3bags
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suprgnat View Post
Don't rest your foot on the clutch pedal; premature wear of the throw out bearing and/or pressure plate fingers.
I have had this problem happen to me in my old 89 Mustang, I never realized I did it until the throw out bearing finally failed on my after 6 yrs.

My question is, I didn't think it would be a problem in the 1 series. I figured that would come from a cable setup more than a hydraulic setup. I've already taught myself not to do it, but I am just curious. Am I wrong in thinking that or does it work the same?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 09:50 PM   #46
JTB
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Engine braking - good. Engine breaking - bad .

I like to drive a manual daily as it allows my muscle memory to stay current. Double clutching, heel toe, rev matching and even shifting all take practice and repetition. I guess it allows me to think less while racing.

With that said, things to avoid:

When shifting at red line from third - don't get second instead of 4th.
Don't lug the engine - 4th gear at 10mph is hard on the engine.

Btw, no need to slip the clutch on a hill or use the hand brake - hill assist.
2009 135i - let the modding begin!
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 10:47 PM   #47
EINSER M
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 rex

Garage List
i hate first gear
i love 2nd and 3rd
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2013, 06:20 AM   #48
Fifty3bags
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by EINSER M View Post
i hate first gear
i love 2nd and 3rd
How could anyone hate first gear? That's where all the magic happens
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2013, 07:23 AM   #49
Sylon
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, SG/CR, 6MT, M-Sport

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.20]
Quote:
i hate first gear
i love 2nd and 3rd
When I test drove the automatic transmission demo 135i my dealership had (before DCT came out), I hated 1st gear in that thing. It felt like I had to change gear after only 5 feet.

2011 BMW 135i | Space Gray | ///M-Sport | BMW CCA #450291
Facebook / Instagram / YouTube / Twitter
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2013, 07:46 AM   #50
EINSER M
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 rex

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifty3bags View Post
How could anyone hate first gear? That's where all the magic happens
maybe its worth nothing i hate 1st gear in ANY manual transmission setting? now that the car is back to stock i hate all gears
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 07:47 AM   #51
TwinTurboed
Turbo Power
United_States
Rep

Quote:
maybe its worth nothing i hate 1st gear in ANY manual transmission setting? now that the car is back to stock i hate all gears
The only things first gears are good for are burnouts, and drag times. Never use first gear on a track once you start rolling.
      10-06-2013, 09:14 PM   #52
Pkaia524
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i 6MT coupe

Why doesn't anyone mention periodic gearbox fluid changes? I change my gearbox fluid every 30K. Car now has 102K miles, no issues at all with the 6MT.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2013, 08:51 AM   #53
GMD
Enlisted Member
Rep

A "Do" for me would be replace your CDV with a modified one. I did that this past weekend and I feel like I have more control over my clutch, and therefore the car as a whole. Its hard to explain, but definitely noticeable and a much more positive driving experience than with the OEM CDV.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2013, 08:52 AM   #54
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifty3bags View Post
I have had this problem happen to me in my old 89 Mustang, I never realized I did it until the throw out bearing finally failed on my after 6 yrs.

My question is, I didn't think it would be a problem in the 1 series. I figured that would come from a cable setup more than a hydraulic setup. I've already taught myself not to do it, but I am just curious. Am I wrong in thinking that or does it work the same?
It is the same.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2013, 02:45 PM   #55
TwinTurboed
Turbo Power
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkaia524 View Post
Why doesn't anyone mention periodic gearbox fluid changes? I change my gearbox fluid every 30K. Car now has 102K miles, no issues at all with the 6MT.
Definitely agree with that. But, this thread is about how to properly drive a Manual, not about how to maintain it, mentioned in the first post.
      10-07-2013, 09:15 PM   #56
cat-like
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW 135i

35 years of owning and driving cars and I have always engine braked and rev matched my MTs, sometimes very aggressively when having a bit of fun. This is the way I was taught to drive. Despite some opinions that I've read to the contrary, I also do it in my DCT and the DSG I owned before it.

In that 35 years I have had one engine issue (touch wood), 2 faulty tappets on a car that was less than one month old and fixed under warranty. I still know where 2 of my previous cars are, and both are well over 10 years old with no major engine issues.

So based on my experience, there is nothing wrong with engine braking and rev matching and if manufacturers can't put cars together that can handle it, then I might as well catch the bus.

Last edited by cat-like; 10-07-2013 at 09:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 08:16 AM   #57
shah269
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009

Do Reve the Engine at every stop light when pulled up next to a minivan, point forward, wait for the light to turn green drop the clutch and fly into hyperspace while the sad soul who was once a man can only look at you with envy as the pigmy cannibals in the back seat scream like banshees about how they want to eat/poo/fight/cry

Do Reve the Engine whenever there is a cute girl within 100ft of the car. It’s a well known fact that any I6 mated to a twin turbo causes instantaneous orgasm by any woman who is either a size 6 or under the age of 26. Sadly it’s also well known that this sound also attacks a vast array of low end cougars who look as if they took a nose dive off the top of the ugly tree, hit every branch on the way down and were promptly run over by the ugly express showing up to your car with their fake long nails and rings on every finger air 4ft tall all sounding like Fran Drecher telling you that and I quote now “What a pretty car! I like how it purrs!”

Do point at the stick and smile while on a first date and say “want to grab it and feel the power!” FYI pepper spray does wash off from the head liner rather well…sadly I high heel damage on said head liner may require professional treatment!

Do think less of people who do not know how to drive stick and call them all kinds of silly names like sloppy silly paddles or slushy the sally slush box....though in your deep dark dreams you really do wish you had an auto on you 40min / 15mine beep and creep ride to work!
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2013, 11:19 AM   #58
Worra
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is/6, 1995 540i/6

Garage List
1995 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2013 BMW 135is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shah269 View Post
Do Reve the Engine at every stop light when pulled up next to a minivan, point forward, wait for the light to turn green drop the clutch and fly into hyperspace while the sad soul who was once a man can only look at you with envy as the pigmy cannibals in the back seat scream like banshees about how they want to eat/poo/fight/cry

Do Reve the Engine whenever there is a cute girl within 100ft of the car. It’s a well known fact that any I6 mated to a twin turbo causes instantaneous orgasm by any woman who is either a size 6 or under the age of 26. Sadly it’s also well known that this sound also attacks a vast array of low end cougars who look as if they took a nose dive off the top of the ugly tree, hit every branch on the way down and were promptly run over by the ugly express showing up to your car with their fake long nails and rings on every finger air 4ft tall all sounding like Fran Drecher telling you that and I quote now “What a pretty car! I like how it purrs!”

Do point at the stick and smile while on a first date and say “want to grab it and feel the power!” FYI pepper spray does wash off from the head liner rather well…sadly I high heel damage on said head liner may require professional treatment!

Do think less of people who do not know how to drive stick and call them all kinds of silly names like sloppy silly paddles or slushy the sally slush box....though in your deep dark dreams you really do wish you had an auto on you 40min / 15mine beep and creep ride to work!
I had a good laugh at this post. Bravo, sir.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2013, 05:28 PM   #59
2012_135i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i, 6MT, M-Sport

Quote:
i hate first gear
i love 2nd and 3rd
I know what you mean. The revs come up pretty quick and the engine sounds like it wants you to upshift but not much is happening. You have to get your power and clutch engagement just right and hit it hard then into second at 3000 RPM or so and hit it again to feel the torque. I found the DCT to be easier to drive fast than my manual. The DCT you just have to put your foot down and blast off. The manual you have to drive with attention and intention. It is not a city car.
      10-09-2013, 06:24 PM   #60
dorkdog
Big Mouth No Filter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i Montego Blue 6MT Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012_135i View Post
The manual you have to drive with attention and intention. It is not a city car.
Agreed. That's why I love it so much. If I am paying attention to my driving, I am paying attention to my driving. I credit driving a manual for getting me out of at least one accident in my driving life of 40 years. I can't listen to music and lapse my concentration with a manual like I could with an automatic.

Besides, it's like I've heard my dad say as long as I can remember "If you ain't shifting you ain't driving!"

I know I mention him a lot, but he is how I got my (good and bad) habits.

I've never had to replace a clutch, except in old Mustangs and Falcons, usually due to an oil leak. I do the following things regularly:

1. I downshift, even into 2nd gear especially during an intersection turn.
2. On every trip, at some point I exercise the transmission to its limit, by shifting at 5-6K. Most of the time I shift at 2-3K or less if my wife grabs the door handle too much.
3. I mix between engine and pad braking. Depends on the situation, usually long descents and speed limit reduction are engine braking, coming to a stop at a light or a panic maneuver I use the brakes.
4. As a matter of course, I rev match. Old habits die hard; my dad used to use the downshift as a braking tool, sometimes downshifting from 4th to 2nd (in a 1963 VW) in a panic stop. I don't think he trusted the braking system; he would always tap the brakes to make sure they were working.
5. I try to keep the clutch pedal out as much as possible, only pressing it in to shift. I usually press the pedal in and put it into 1st when the light goes yellow in the cross direction.
6. I pay to have the MT and rear end fluids changed at 50K if possible. If it's a new car they get changed at 1-2K and then again at 50K.
      10-10-2013, 10:56 AM   #61
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan Engineer View Post
DON'T engine brake. Use your bloody brakes, that's what they're there for. Now, I don't drive semi's, but for normal cars I've never had insufficient brakes. If they were insufficient, engine braking wouldn't helped anyways. Pads are cheaper than engine parts.
I really don't understand why people are saying to never engine brake, as it will somehow prematurely wear out or damage your engine. This is not true if one knows how to engine brake properly. In fact, engine braking is encouraged in some driving situations like driving down steep mountain roads. I see if frequently driving in the mountains out here. People will be going down steep grades and are riding their brakes. This causes the brakes to become very hot and begin to fade, or possibly fail altogether. This is a prime example of when you should use engine braking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan Engineer View Post
DO avoid cars that don't allow it's owners to select a real transmission (*cough* Mercedes )
      10-10-2013, 10:58 AM   #62
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
I really don't understand why people are saying to never engine brake, as it will somehow prematurely wear out or damage your engine. This is not true if one knows how to engine brake properly. In fact, engine braking is encouraged in some driving situations like driving down steep mountain roads. I see if frequently driving in the mountains out here. People will be going down steep grades and are riding their brakes. This causes the brakes to become very hot and begin to fade, or possibly fail altogether. This is a prime example of when you should use engine braking.

100% agreed. i think that advice to 'not engine brake' is just his theory or opinion....but there's objectively no information to support that it is true. Engine braking is a natural part of driving and does not do harm to the engine. In fact many of the owners of very old school classic sports have told me it's good to stretch the engine out, keeps things moving and mechanically active. I subscribe to this 'theory'.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 08:05 PM   #63
Ferstlerslim
noob
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
You are using MORE fuel by coasting in Neutral. Coast in gear and the injectors are completely off, coast in neutral is the same as sitting idle.
I didnt know this....good info.

Dave
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2013, 02:33 PM   #64
SayHack
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 128i

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 Tii View Post
Don't ride the clutch on a hill. Use the brake or parking brake. Plus BMW hill assist makes it even easier for n00bs (not calling you one).

Don't downshift to first unless you're coming to a complete stop.

Don't start in 2nd gear.

Don't coast in neutral to save gas.

Don't have to double clutch in these cars.

Don't engine brake more than you need to, brakes are replaceable and cheaper than motors.

Do rev match.

Do heel/toe.

Never, ever, ever shift to first while the car is moving.....that's how you get synchro damage.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2013, 07:48 AM   #65
2tonik
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i Sport 6MT Ti Silver

Why not double clutch? And CDV delete notes...

I heel and toe or double de-clutch on virtually every downshift.

This saves wear on the syncros as they don't have to work as much - and it's a driving technique and discipline I really enjoy.

I learned to drive on a rally-prepped 1970 Datsun 510 in 1976 sitting in my dad's lap at the age of 12 - and I was heel and toeing then and will always use this technique as long as I'm driving a manual transmission car.

The issue with the CDV for me is that it lengthens the duration of shifts and downshifts, and thus the throttle/clutch timing that is a critical part of the driving experience.

This delay interferes with fast upshifts and downshifts - on fast double de-clutchings the clutch engages too slowly on pedal release which can actually lead to ground gears as the revs drop below optimal value and the syncros can't spin up fast enough to cover the difference in rotational speeds.

Getting rid of the CDV quickens the shifting experience both on upshifts and downshifts. It was the first change I made to my car.

My understanding is that BMW put the CDV in to soften clutch response when the car is hard launched and shifted, as in drag or (God forbid) street racing. I don't drive this way so I'm not worried about frying the clutch or breaking the transmission. I've only replaced a clutch once and that was one a 160,000 mile 1980 Mitsubishi Champ that was a family car with multiple drivers. None of my sporting cars ever wore out a clutch or broke a transmission.

1984 Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE
1985 Porsche 944
1987 Ford Mustang 5.0 LX
1988 Toyota MR2
1990 Honda Civic Si
1994 Acura Integra GS-R
1994 BMW 325is
2004 Mazda RX-8

Last edited by 2tonik; 10-13-2013 at 08:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2013, 08:17 AM   #66
Andrewcoja
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i MSport

I think it was so you don't slip your foot off the pedal while it's down and have it slam the clutch in.
Appreciate 0