BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-12-2023, 08:15 PM   #1
Gabyracing
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330

Finally there is a way to upgrade the paddles for the DCT trans 135’s. I have been working with Paddoq to make this work on our cars.
Link to paddles: Paddq e9x M3 Magnetic Paddles

Hit them up and they will be able to help you gathering all you need!
Their instagram: Paddoq

As it is known there seems to be a difference between the way the paddles on the 135 DCT work vs an M3, making the paddles for the 135 harder to swap.
Here is a link to that thread to read more about it: link

From testing the guys over at Paddoq found it was something within the steering wheel itself. When they tested their paddles with the OEM 135 steering wheel they did not work, but when used with an OEM e9x M3 steering wheel mounted on the 135, the paddles, and multi function buttons (MFB) all worked as intended. Buttons do retain the OEM mapping of the 1 series so the lovely M button just switches the audio input from Bluetooth/aux/etc

With all that it sounded like the difference in how the paddles work, and why M3 paddles dont work on the 135, is because of something in the MFB.
To test this theory out, I ordered some e9x M3 MFB from ebay. When they arrived, I did a quick mock up and they worked! So now I am able to run the M3 magnetic paddles from Paddoq in my 135 with a DCT.

First picture is of the mock up to try it out. I only removed the airbag, disconnected the 135 MFB from the car. Connected M3 MFB to the car with Paddoq’s M3 magnetic paddles

Do not know of this will work with regular e9x MFB

TLDR
You can run Paddoc’s M3 magnetic paddles on a DCT 135 by swapping the MFB in the steering wheel with M3 ones.

All you need are Paddoq’s Magnetic paddles and e9x M3 MFB or a full e9x M3 steering wheel
e9x M3 MFB P/N: 307091785-AB

Paddoq is currently working on design a housing for their paddles that is compatible with the 135 steering wheel. The cutout where the paddles sit is different from the M3 and the 135 steering wheel. You can still use the M3 housing on the 135 steering wheel it will just not sit 100% flush.
If you reach out to Paddoq, let them know what wheel you have and they will make sure you get the correct things.

Did this on my phone so not sure how pictures will come out. I’ll get on my computer to type up a proper step by step

Picture 1: mock up setup
Picture 2: e9x M3 MFB PN I got from ebay
Picture 3: fully installed in my car
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      11-13-2023, 04:41 PM   #2
Bmwdoubles_
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 535

Garage List
  [0.00]
Looks sick!
Attached Images

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFu...fWjCtOz49FDMlg
Appreciate 1
      11-14-2023, 09:52 PM   #3
lemansblau135is
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 135is

Garage List
2013 bmw 135is  [0.00]
An old thread said Nelson racing make some?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2023, 08:52 PM   #4
Gabyracing
United_States
Rep

lemansblau135is can you provide the link to that thread?

I saw the Nelson Racing Paddles when I was looking for the upgrade, bu I didnt see magnetic paddles from them. What I saw was only a Paddle adapter/paddle combo that mimics the M3 style mounting for the paddles

The paddles from Paddoq replace the whole switch for the paddle since the mechanism is magnetic.
These are just a different alternative if you are looking for magnetic paddles.

Here is a snapshot from Paddoq’s website on how they look mounted from the back of the steering wheel.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-15-2023, 08:54 PM   #5
Gabyracing
United_States
Rep

Bmwdoubles_ now that is a good looking steering wheel with amazing paddles!
Appreciate 1
      11-15-2023, 09:21 PM   #6
Bmwdoubles_
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 535

Garage List
  [0.00]
[QUOTE=Gabyracing;30657862]Bmwdoubles_ now that is a good looking steering wheel with amazing paddles!

New housing in the making for your platform.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFu...fWjCtOz49FDMlg
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2023, 12:22 AM   #7
lemansblau135is
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 135is

Garage List
2013 bmw 135is  [0.00]
Nelson's were replacements for the standard paddles, made in metal and larger the stock ones. I can't remember if it was on this forum or the E9x forum on this site
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2023, 06:35 AM   #8
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

I did the Nelson Racing modification on my 135i DCT setup. It was straight forward. There is plastic adapter they sell with the kit or you can just buy the adapters by themselves. I got the larger anodized black paddles with the adapter. The only gripe I have about the adapter is that there's a bit of slop where the is some free play. But that's just me being nit picky. I made a thread about this mod with pics. I'll see if I can find it.

ETA: Found it.

https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show...=nelson+racing
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 09:28 PM   #9
stealthlooplv
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw 135i

I got the mag Paddles from Mode Auto Concepts as they swore it works for LCI. Has the dang blue connectors. Found the M3 controls on ebay. Man I must have got the wrong part number with AA at the end. I takes the wider brown connectors. Have to see if I can return ebay purchase now. I couldn't find the part number you indicated. Did you find on ebay as well? I would imagine the new OEM would be super expensive.

Edit...
Wait a minute. I just looked at your pick again and the input for the wires are the same. How did you get the blue connectors to work?

Looked again. Didn't realize you used the pre-lci paddles. Didn't think to do that as the housing is different. more of an odd square as opposed to a wide rectangle. I've noticed they have the brown connectors like the stock ones but never thought to try them because there is always a pic of the push pull stock paddles not the left down right left I have.
Attached Images

Last edited by stealthlooplv; 04-22-2024 at 11:07 PM.. Reason: forgot to write something.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 09:29 PM   #10
stealthlooplv
Registered
Rep

I didn't like the Nelson Paddles. My fingers got stuck between the blinker and washer controls when turning and shifting. Currently using ebay Fseries paddles with the oem guts in it.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2024, 03:27 AM   #11
BBD_135is
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550i, 2007 Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthlooplv View Post
I didn't like the Nelson Paddles. My fingers got stuck between the blinker and washer controls when turning and shifting. Currently using ebay Fseries paddles with the oem guts in it.
How did you get the f series paddles to work? Can you explain?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2024, 10:06 AM   #12
stealthlooplv
Registered
Rep

BBD_135is You remove the pin to take out the f80 guts. Same with stock 135i ones. switch. keep the pins same to the paddles. be careful of springs. I got the idea from a youtube video titled - Refresh the Driving Experience of Your E Series BMW! (M3/M4 Paddle Shifter Retrofit).

Jason Joyrides channel.

I used cheap f series paddles from ebay. $60-80. Not the best finish where plastic parts meet up together but only if you inspect a few inches from your face. The Nelson paddles are installed the same way. I just didn't like how my fingers got stuck in between the clicker and the washer control when turning. Also huge paddles don't shift well up high. You want to shift closer to where it attaches.

Perfect cheap upgrade imo till I can figure out the mag paddle situation for our car. I have to return a set because even though they told me they are for lci, they had the blue connectors. We have brown wider 3 pin connectors. I ordered some cheap mag paddles for pre-lci to try and connect to this m3 buttons I purchased. Base seams different though. Hoping the guy that started thread can elaborate.
Appreciate 0