BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-17-2011, 11:28 AM   #23
Schnorbitz
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 318d

TTRS values are rock solid, I sold my year old example back to a dealer for £38k. £5k loss in a year and 10,000 miles.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2011, 01:23 AM   #24
Shost
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe BSM

Kmpowell, I don't get your finance figures. Are you saying the bigger your deposit the lower the GMFV?

I've posted re this elsewhere as I nearly was finance priced out of the 1M and into a Cayman S. What kept me in was a assurance from the sales and finance guys of two separate BMW dealers that BMW GMFV are very low compared to others. Thus equalling high monthlies. Where as Porsche and Merc both advised me that the there will be negligible equity to get back.

I've taken a gamble that BMW won't on the price of used that I will get a reasonable equity with BMW finance. But I'm not counting on it.

Therefore if your worried about depreciation keep it longer.

At the end of the day it's a small relatively economical and very fast turbo car made in somewhat limited numbers (how many 1Ms would they sell if it was unlimited??) Compare it to competitors, TTRS et al They've decent residuals. Do it!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2011, 01:29 AM   #25
as7920
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2023 SG/FR M4 xDrive Competiti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shost View Post
Kmpowell, I don't get your finance figures. Are you saying the bigger your deposit the lower the GMFV?

I've posted re this elsewhere as I nearly was finance priced out of the 1M and into a Cayman S. What kept me in was a assurance from the sales and finance guys of two separate BMW dealers that BMW GMFV are very low compared to others. Thus equalling high monthlies. Where as Porsche and Merc both advised me that the there will be negligible equity to get back.

I've taken a gamble that BMW won't on the price of used that I will get a reasonable equity with BMW finance. But I'm not counting on it.

Therefore if your worried about depreciation keep it longer.

At the end of the day it's a small relatively economical and very fast turbo car made in somewhat limited numbers (how many 1Ms would they sell if it was unlimited??) Compare it to competitors, TTRS et al They've decent residuals. Do it!
Apparently BMW FS have been burned before on settings residual values too high so yes, I believe they are much lower now. I was quoted £14,700 after 4 years, there's definitely equity there. However I financed through Yorkshire/Clydesdale Bank asset finance and their residual value for 1M after 4 years is £12,700.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2011, 02:43 AM   #26
clived
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Evolved 1M

There was £6.5K of equity in my 135i as a trade in, so even 3 years ago BMW's GFVs were very low. I see it as a saving for my next deposit scheme. But then, I don't plan to get out after 12 months, when the biggest hump of depreciation is happening.

Kev, you should really only ever buy a 1 year old used car in my opinion, given your financial caution.
      06-18-2011, 07:13 AM   #27
Shost
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thats reasuring Clive that you did have equity, given me a little more confidence in my sharp-suited salesman friend!

as7920, that has reminded me to check out those Clysdale people before I sign my finance away!

Very useful these forums
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2011, 07:16 AM   #28
as7920
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thats reasuring Clive that you did have equity. as7920, that has reminded me to check out those Clysdale people before I sign my finance away!
They were very good. Very competitive and great to deal with.

As well as the £2k lower residual value, they saved me £13/month for 4 years.

Mark.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2011, 07:21 AM   #29
Shost
First Lieutenant
Rep

Good good, I'm planning to stretch my ownership for four years myself to spread the hit of buying new (going against everything I know about car buying). As the sales man said to me your only going to get another loan/finance deal when this finished anyway. And the 1M in Black looks to be quite the keeper!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2011, 08:14 AM   #30
as7920
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Good good, I'm planning to stretch my ownership for four years myself to spread the hit of buying new (going against everything I know about car buying). As the sales man said to me your only going to get another loan/finance deal when this finished anyway. And the 1M in Black looks to be quite the keeper!
Exactly!
Appreciate 0