BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-13-2011, 01:14 PM   #89
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

I just had a funny experience with an M3 guy. He seems really cool so it wasn't a bad experience just funny.

He is selling me his ZHP wheels so I can autocross on them. He bought a set of the GTS black ones and had the dealer swap them on delivery so they are brand new. I was chatting with him on how cool his car looks and he replies back that he thinks the ZHP wheels will look great on my 1er. I had told him it was a 1M and sent him a pic albeit mostly front.

???

I don't think he even knows about the 1M or that it comes already with ZHP wheels! I was really surprised by that. Most people, even a lot of M3 or BMW people don't know what the 1M is.

We have been living in a 1M bubble and outside of the hard-core car world, very few poeple know about it, yet it does get noticed every now and then. I think California people are pretty jaded though. Too many nice cars around here for anyone to notice much.

Last edited by nachob; 11-13-2011 at 02:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2011, 01:21 PM   #90
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

On the drive back from an autocross I had two experiences... I spied an older 911 up ahead... it was a Turbo... probably from before the 993... MASSIVE whale tail on the back with extensions. I managed to work through traffic and pulled alongside and then ahead... At the next light... the driver looked over and commented to me... WOW... what a great looking car.... He said he had seen a 1M previously but not in black.... and that the car looks FANTASTIC in black.... (of course.. his 911 is black as well!).... A bit further down the road, two ladies in a Mitsubishi Outlander SUV were both straining to look over at the car. The passenger was all smiles, and when we stopped at light, the driver said she had never seen my car before but that it is VERY COOL.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2011, 01:47 PM   #91
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Got a 6er behind me yesterday evening around 11pm. 3 young women, probably on their Saturday night out to a party or bar. We cruised through town at slow pace. Several traffic-lights (right time to check them out in my rear view mirror). I noticed that one of them in the back started filming with her smartphone (permanent flashlight kept playing in my rear view mirror, as if it were some white laser beam). At some point I had to turn left and was required to wait for oncoming traffic. The 6er driver flashed the headlights and passed me by.

This kinda stuff never happened to me during my M3 days.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 10:22 AM   #92
evolution80
Captain
Austria
Rep
Drives: M3 F80 silverstone

Garage List
thanks to the unusual nice weather i am still driving around in my babyM...

today i saw an older guy in an e30M3 sport evolution in excellent condition - several minutes later i decided to turn around to see where he was going - and we passed each other for the second time - each giving a thumbs up!

enjoy your cars
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 11:00 AM   #93
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Got a 6er behind me yesterday evening around 11pm. 3 young women, probably on their Saturday night out to a party or bar. We cruised through town at slow pace. Several traffic-lights (right time to check them out in my rear view mirror). I noticed that one of them in the back started filming with her smartphone (permanent flashlight kept playing in my rear view mirror, as if it were some white laser beam). At some point I had to turn left and was required to wait for oncoming traffic. The 6er driver flashed the headlights and passed me by.

This kinda stuff never happened to me during my M3 days.
Were the headlights the only thing she flashed?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 11:14 AM   #94
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: white 135

this is why i hate owning bright/unique cars.

I can't stand the attention, but i love the cars, it's really confusing and annoying.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2011, 11:51 AM   #95
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

While parking at Publix today:

Funny guy: Damn...is that the souped up one?
Me: Ummm sure, it's named the 1M.
Funny guy: Wooooo...that sh*t's hot!!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2011, 06:02 PM   #96
Slats
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M & 1997 M3

When I came out of the office late one night last week, there was a note under my windshield wiper describing my VO 1M as "stunning" and inviting me to a Euro car meet to show it off. I felt a bit uncomfortable, as I didn't buy the car at impress anyone other than myself and don't especially like to attract a lot of attention. But I showed up with the car and had a good time meeting some new gearheads and running into a couple of local BMWCCA KC Chapter members.

On my way back home, as I turned the corner at a stoplight, there was a guy in a new silver 335 who whipped out his iPhone to take a picture as turned the corner in front of him. I guess I need to get used to being stalked.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2011, 09:15 PM   #97
PyratOne
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe (Not an M1!)

Im only now just getting home with the car. Waited many weeks for ED redelivery to PCD a couple days ago.

I have to say for the most part people arent noticing. Maybe because its AW - its a bit of a sleeper -or im just dense. I catch a few people bending necks, etc. One young couple in a pickup in Tennessee gave the thumbs up!

But one story I forgot to mention in my previous post about ED...

Im in a remote area in Dolomites, Italy. Very few Americans from what I can tell. We're staying in really nice B&B run by a German guy with endless energy. Anyway, I get up early so I can take a morning drive alone (Dolomites are GREAT for driving -great roads and they seem to allow crazy-fast speeds) and the owner sees me leaving in the 1M, and waves goodbye. When I come back from the drive he comes up to me and says "thats the new M, yes?" Then hands me a german magazine with 1M story in it. " Zis is a very fast car, yes? Lots of POWER!" He then goes on to tell me all about the specs, weight etc, and how it will handle great because of short wheelbase.

We were in the middle of nowhere, and this german knew this car.

Top Gear Magazine - Jason Barlow about the 1M
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2011, 09:27 PM   #98
Maniac992
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 1M

First day I picked mine up (BSM with tint) I had a 335 behind me with driver taking a picture of my car on his iphone, then an AMG GWagon passes me and driver leans out and flashes me a "peace" sign. This car definitely gets noticed. Of course that was day 1 and the car looked great!
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 08:07 PM   #99
oldBMWguy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW 1M [Finally !]

A week ago, I had two instances worth noting. I was running about 65 in a 55 zone on a 4-lane road near Pinehurst NC. I saw a mustang closing FAST behind me and moved right to get out of his way. He caught me, slowed down and got on my tail for a mile, then pulled up beside me [two 30 yr olds ] , gunned it a few times tring to get me to nail it [which I enored]. They then gave me a thumbs up and proceded to drive off weaving like nuts as they passed the cars in front...... not sure if I want THAT kind of attantion

They next day a 335 conv. got behind us and started taking pics thru their front window.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 08:40 PM   #100
Pun
Rep
Drives: 08 Sapphire Black M6 Coupe

LOL where do you all live at? I get far less attention with my M6.....

Guess I am a little late to the party. Dealer offered me a 1 Series M a few months back but I was hesitant at the time. When I finally decided to get one for tracking purposes, allocations dried up
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 11:28 PM   #101
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pun View Post
LOL where do you all live at? I get far less attention with my M6.....

Guess I am a little late to the party. Dealer offered me a 1 Series M a few months back but I was hesitant at the time. When I finally decided to get one for tracking purposes, allocations dried up
There are more M6 cars in circulation than 1M's...also, it's hard not to notice it after all the hype created by BMW and the fan base.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 12:34 AM   #102
Powerbeast
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 RarriRot

Yes I have noticed that as well, I have literally had my 1M for 12 hours and even people that don't understand the difference between a !28 and 1M have approached me and the car saying how great looking she really is. Most importantly I can't stop starring at her.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 11:11 PM   #103
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
I had my first photographic experience today. Caught someone shooting pics with a smartphone from the lane next to me about a car length back.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 11:28 AM   #104
1978.530i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M

I was sitting in the parking lot of my local hardware store, finishing a conference call. Window was down, and a couple of teenagers riding bikes through the parking lot cruised by. One said, "I really like your car, yo." I responded with a thumbs up and said thanks. Even the kids like it!
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 04:13 PM   #105
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

I honestly stopped counting. Everywhere I go it's the same thing...either I get thumbs up, or people asking what in the world it is that I'm driving, or my friend texting me at work telling me there is a car that just pulled up next to mine to admire it.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 05:03 PM   #106
mrow
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

When I went to pick my car up on Saturday they couldn't find the gas card to fill it up by the time I got there. After we had done all the paper work they found the card and my CA and I drove to the gas station down the street. As soon as we pulled in some dude filling up his Mercury Mariner walked over and started asking about the car. So I couldn't even get off the lot more than 30 seconds without getting some attention!
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 02:13 PM   #107
Rikx1M
MSgt (ret)
Germany
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #739/740

Garage List
I'm stationed at a military post in Germany and today drove to the post office on post. Some guy walks up to me and asks if it's a German spec or US spec car...says it looks real nice...that he has a 911 but wants to buy a 1M. One minute later three guys walk by admiring the car and said it looks fast...Is it? Also commented on how nice it looked and wanting to hear the exhaust. My wife pulls up in my other car just as some Army Major walks by saying...nice car and then 30 seconds later some 25 year old kid says that's a sweet ride.

In the span of 2-3 minutes, 6 comments on my car...and it was dirty as I just drove over 75+ miles in rain and ugly German weather, coming back from a job in Stuttgart and meeting Drillslinger for lunch. But that VO sure looks good with water drops and an overcast sky.

that's the most attention this car has ever gotten....
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 09:54 AM   #108
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Leaving work yesterday I see a convertible 128i get by my side and it goes down like this:

128i driver: *honk honk* "nice...really nice! I hate you."

We both laugh and part our own ways.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 12:53 PM   #109
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

Had an M5 rip through traffic to catch me, follow me a bit to take pics, then thumbs up and a U turn back to where he was initially going.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 12:56 PM   #110
sergeremi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1 Series M Coupe

Ok, that's a little ridiculous. Whoa.