BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-29-2010, 04:48 PM   #1
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)

Question for the detailing guru's

Hello all,

So I recently I had the clear bra piece on the hood of my car replaced due to a defect on the original piece. Unfortunately, I did not take into account that the guy would be working on my car while the hood was still hot/warm.

When the guy installs the film, he uses a gel-like liquid that allows him to move the film around before he finally presses it in place and squeegees out this liquid substance from underneath the film. The substance itself is made by a well-known and high quality film maker (Xpel), and it is 100% compatible with paint/clearcoat, and harm-free. Once squeegeed out from underneath, some of this gel sat on the top part of the hood until the installation was complete, which is when I was able to rinse off the car.

To my surprise, once I washed the hood and dried it, I noticed that where the gel had been sitting, it left marks on the clear coat that look like what happens to the car when water/soap dries on it. So it almost looks like an etching, except it cannot be felt with my nail, and it seems very superficial. I am quite convinced that this happened because I had the piece replaced on a hot hood , given that when he originally installed the film the car was cold, and this problem did not happen.

My question is, does anyone know if simply claybaring and resealing the hood would take care of the issue. I would imagine that whatever is done to remove water spots, or soap spots from a car that has been sitting in the sun, would probably work for this.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2010, 04:58 PM   #2
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Try applying white vinegar directly to the spots, let it dwell for about a minute, and rinse it off. You can also try something like P21s Total Auto Wash. This probably goes without saying, but any of this will completely remove any protection you have.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2010, 06:11 PM   #3
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Try applying white vinegar directly to the spots, let it dwell for about a minute, and rinse it off. You can also try something like P21s Total Auto Wash. This probably goes without saying, but any of this will completely remove any protection you have.
Thank you sir! So pure white vinegar and not a mix of vinegar and water, correct?!? I ask because I've heard of people using the mix for other things before, and just want to make sure the vinegar in pure form is not too abrasive I also just ran out of p21s about a week ago :/ I'll order another bottle and try the vinegar in the mean while.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2010, 08:54 PM   #4
Detailers Domain
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M2C / 22 X3MC

any pictures? why not call the installer up and ask him to remove it for you.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2010, 10:27 PM   #5
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil@detailersdomain View Post
any pictures? why not call the installer up and ask him to remove it for you.
He is not a detailer type of guy. I called him up and he said that 1) this is made by the company that makes the film and is not known to damage the finish on the car, 2) chances are that the heat had something to do with it since the first time when he installed the clear bra the car was cold, and the liquid did not leave any marks on the clear coat.

Also, given that he does not detail cars for a living, I'm not sure that I would trust him messing around with my car's clear coat.

Edit: I don't have any pictures but I can take some tomorrow. The marks are hard to see as the light must be reflecting off the car at the right angle. Again, it looks like when the sun dries water/soap on the car's surface.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2010, 10:36 PM   #6
Detailers Domain
Major General
United_States
Rep

he should really know the ins and outs, call XPEL in the morning.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2010, 10:48 PM   #7
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil@detailersdomain View Post
he should really know the ins and outs, call XPEL in the morning.
Should I give the vinegar a shot anyway? Or should I wait to hear from Xpel?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2010, 10:52 PM   #8
Detailers Domain
Major General
United_States
Rep

what for expel it could be an easy solution maybe when the car is hot you can remove it etc...
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2010, 07:41 AM   #9
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Yeah, XPel probably has an easy answer. The vinegar thing isn't terribly aggressive, but I'd still wait to see if they give you an easier answer.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2010, 04:28 PM   #10
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

All right fellas, I was on the phone with one of the more knowledgable guys from Xpel, who explained to me that the gel is 100% water-soluble and that they have never had any damage issues. The guy recommended for me to use a polishing compound such as 3M and polish the area.

Should I simply resort to the white vinegar option first before I go crazy trying to cut into the clear coat for something that seems so superficial?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2010, 05:09 PM   #11
Detailers Domain
Major General
United_States
Rep

stick with what xpel told you to do polish it out then seal or wax the area.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2010, 08:52 AM   #12
BlackjackMulligan
Most interesting Roadster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3.0 Roady;'10 C300 Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SerieStud View Post
All right fellas, I was on the phone with one of the more knowledgable guys from Xpel, who explained to me that the gel is 100% water-soluble and that they have never had any damage issues. The guy recommended for me to use a polishing compound such as 3M and polish the area.

Should I simply resort to the white vinegar option first before I go crazy trying to cut into the clear coat for something that seems so superficial?
I'd be really careful polishing around the edge of your new clearbra. The best way to go usually is what you are thinking, start with your least abrasive method. I'd try the vinegar before dragging the polisher out but that's just me.

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2010, 04:12 PM   #13
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackjackMulligan View Post
I'd be really careful polishing around the edge of your new clearbra. The best way to go usually is what you are thinking, start with your least abrasive method. I'd try the vinegar before dragging the polisher out but that's just me.
Exactly what I plan to do!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2010, 01:37 PM   #14
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Here's a not-so-happy update:

So, I waited for my car to be cold, and decided to try a few of the things here.

First, I tried applying and rubbing white vinegar to the area as suggested. After a few attempts, I realized it had not gone away so I gave up on the vinegar idea. Second, I decided to wash off the surface using Dawn, thinking that all I possibly needed to do was remove sealant/protectant and reapply. Well, Dawn did not do anything either. Third, I tried claybaring the surface slightly in hopes that it would come off...again, nothing, and lastly, I went ahead and resealed the paint using blackfire, which again made my car extremely shiny, so I thought the marks were gone. To my disappointment, once I took my car out in the sun, or at night time under a fluorescent light, the marks were still there.

I am very disappointed and I think I have no option but to have the hood professionally buffed.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2010, 11:40 AM   #15
BlackjackMulligan
Most interesting Roadster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3.0 Roady;'10 C300 Sport

Garage List
Try polishing it out by hand first. Just be sure to put a piece of masking tape along the edge of the clear bra to make sure you don't upset the edge and/or get polish on the edge.

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2010, 04:06 PM   #16
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackjackMulligan View Post
Try polishing it out by hand first. Just be sure to put a piece of masking tape along the edge of the clear bra to make sure you don't upset the edge and/or get polish on the edge.
Any recommendations as to what to use to polish it out by hand? I know there are many polishes out there, some more abrasive than others, etc. Or should I just go ahead and use the 3M stuff that polishes and cuts a little into the clear coat?

I want to get use something efficient that gets the job done, does no harm and is not too expensive since I do not foresee myself having this problem again.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2010, 06:02 PM   #17
Envious Eric
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: nissan xterra, 335 soon

just hit up a local detailer to hit it for you with a PC.
Tape off the bra line and have at it. use something like menzerna 203, or meguiars 205 or megs 80 and it should do the trick.

reason I say have a detailer do it is because unless you plan on polishing the car routinely, its kinda pointless to buy all the supplies.
Appreciate 0