BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

Closed Thread

02-21-2014, 04:10 PM   #1
Kirst
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BSM e82 135i

I'm tossing up between whether I would like Accuair bags or MCA Gold Series coilovers for my 135i

What are the pros and cons of both (or even just bags vs coilovers) performance wise (not track performance but in terms of how good they are, considering they are obviously very different and for different purposes)? I know it's a little like comparing apples to oranges

Realistically I have narrowed down to these 2 options because, as far as my suspension goes, I either want to go all out and do it properly or not at all

At ~$2000 a corner though, MCA is significantly pricier than nearly all other suspension options (I'm going to be saving up for quite a while, or winning lotto haha), is it worth it? Has anyone had any experience with these coilovers?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 04:53 PM   #2
PeteA
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: E30, E82

I've personally never heard of any of these brands for our chassis. $2500 per corner is way too much just for suspension struts and springs.

Just as a rough comparison, I changed all suspension control arms, bushings, sway bars, quaife LSD, finned diff cover, rear camber link conversion, HP autowerks M3->E82 strut brace, Ohlins Road and Track kits to suit for a bit over 10 labour included.
      02-21-2014, 04:54 PM   #3
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: f32

This post contradicts itself in so many ways.
First you are looking at coilovers @ $2.5K a CORNER which for that kind of money would be primarily designed for a track focused car......
Then on the flip side you are looking at bags which are for hard parked cars who want the slammed look, with little to no focus on handling.
Sometimes I think you and Flinchy just like to post stuff like this to get people to react.
Anyway.....
If you are serious stick to a brand of coils that are tried and tested and don't cost an arm and a leg. Besides you're driving ability will be the limiting factor not the coils, KW v2 are a nice place to start.
Is this going to be a track focused car? Are you a professional driver with very consistent lap times, hoping to shave tenths off your times? If yes then go ahead and buy the boutique coils. If not but want a nice drop and improved handling for spirited driving buy KW V1 or V2.
I wouldn't touch bags....
My 2 cents
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 05:15 PM   #4
Kirst
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 510135
First you are looking at coilovers @ $2.5K a CORNER which for that kind of money would be primarily designed for a track focused car......
Then on the flip side you are looking at bags which are for hard parked cars who want the slammed look, with little to no focus on handling.
Sometimes I think you and Flinchy just like to post stuff like this to get people to react.
Anyway.....
If you are serious stick to a brand of coils that are tried and tested and don't cost an arm and a leg. Besides you're driving ability will be the limiting factor not the coils, KW v2 are a nice place to start.
Is this going to be a track focused car? Are you a professional driver with very consistent lap times, hoping to shave tenths off your times? If yes then go ahead and buy the boutique coils. If not but want a nice drop and improved handling for spirited driving buy KW V1 or V2.
My 2 cents
I do realize that I'm not stupid

I'm actually still deciding whether to go for performance/track or a show car and wanted input from people with EXPERIENCE with MCA

who regardless I want to support rather than going KW because I know them and their work

And also, Because well quite frankly, Flinchy already has a track build in the works and I CBF, so I will most likely go for making my car slammed and showy. My understanding was that I was quite welcome to ask questions to help me make a decision on what I want to do on forums. This is why I don't post here usually when I want to know info

Your negativity towards me isn't welcome in this thread, I do not post things just to get a reaction. Sometimes I actually do know what I'm talking about
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 05:22 PM   #5
Kirst
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteA
I've personally never heard of any of these brands for our chassis. $2500 per corner is way too much just for suspension struts and springs.

Just as a rough comparison, I changed all suspension control arms, bushings, sway bars, quaife LSD, finned diff cover, rear camber link conversion, HP autowerks M3->E82 strut brace, Ohlins Road and Track kits to suit for a bit over 10 labour included.
That's not bad for all that, not bad at all in fact I will have to look into that as an option further

MCA are a local company in QLD they do most of the time attack cars
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 05:39 PM   #6
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: f32

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWlady
Quote:
Anyway.....
My 2 cents

I'm actually still deciding whether to go for performance/track or a show car and wanted input from people with EXPERIENCE with MCA

who regardless I want to support rather than going KW because I know them and their work

And also, Because well quite frankly, Flinchy already has a track build in the works and I CBF, so I will most likely go for making my car slammed and showy

Your negativity towards me isn't welcome in this thread, I do not post things just to get a reaction. Sometimes I actually do know what I'm talking about
You wrote the question not me. I didn't once call you stupid, nor did I think my post was negative in any way.

I just couldn't get my head around the post (maybe I'm stupid?), it's like asking "I can't decide weather to buy a Nissan GTR or a Mercedes S class" they are completely different cars with completely different uses/goals, polar if you will!
Both get you from A to B but nobody can make that decision for you.

KW are a extremely good product , I know several member who are running them or had run then including myself and would definitely recommend them. Talk to Stu from BMR.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 05:41 PM   #7
Kirst
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWlady
Quote:
Anyway.....
My 2 cents

And also, Because well quite frankly, Flinchy already has a track build in the works and I CBF, so I will most likely go for making my car slammed and showy

You wrote the question not me. I didn't once call you stupid, nor did I think my post was negative in any way.

I just couldn't get my head around the post (maybe I'm stupid?), it's like asking "I can't decide weather to buy a Nissan GTR or a Mercedes S class" they are completely different cars with completely different uses/goals, polar if you will!
Both get you from A to B but nobody can make that decision for you.

KW are a extremely good product , I know several member who are running them or had run then including myself and would definitely recommend them. Talk to Stu from BMR.
And as I have said
I'm aware they have different uses
That's why I have asked for info on both?

Because I'm genuinely curious as to which way I should go

I've already decided I really do not want KW so that's off the table. Hence why I have asked specifically about these two different particular suspension types
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 06:22 PM   #8
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 510135 View Post
My 2 cents
i'm thinking that too, i don't even wtf.. I don't think she really understands how suspension works lol.

personally i'm all for the bags... either that or ohlins... noting that it's never going to be a track car...

ED: FTR i never post just to get a reaction lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWlady View Post
I've already decided I really do not want KW so that's off the table. Hence why I have asked specifically about these two different particular suspension types
could have just asked me about it...

KW's are great except for the same price as V3's you can get the ohlins which i'd prefer.. and bags won't handle as well (still fine) but provide adjustability and are comfortable... Plus you can air out for looks.

and the golds aren't street friendly, they require rebuilding relatively often...

plus i've already said i want to get you bags LOL.

Last edited by flinchy; 02-21-2014 at 06:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 06:25 PM   #9
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82

I think it's going to be hard to get some 1er based feedback on either of your two options as I can't say I've ever heard of either brand mentioned on these forums before. Of course someone might have tried those kits on other cars, but it's still a slim shot and won't relate directly to it's application in our car.

But yeah, it would be a good idea to decide which route you'd like to go for before asking for feedback, especially on such unusual decisions.

The only person in Australia I know of who has slammed a BMW on bags is Suj (sbce90) on his E90 320i. Not sure what brand of bags he went for though.

As for $10k on a set of springs and struts, it sounds like too much for me. There are plenty of tried and true kits out there already and most are significantly cheaper. Check out HPA. They have a huge range of top quality coilovers that can be used for racing at a cheaper price. Moton, AST, JRZ, Etc.

I have Motons on mine and I'm pretty damn happy with the performance and ride.
      02-21-2014, 06:27 PM   #10
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by froop View Post
I think it's going to be hard to get some 1er based feedback on either of your two options as I can't say I've ever heard of either brand mentioned on these forums before. Of course someone might have tried those kits on other cars, but it's still a slim shot and won't relate directly to it's application in our car.

But yeah, it would be a good idea to decide which route you'd like to go for before asking for feedback, especially on such unusual decisions.

The only person in Australia I know of who has slammed a BMW on bags is Suj (sbce90) on his E90 320i. Not sure what brand of bags he went for though.

As for $10k on a set of springs and struts, it sounds like too much for me. There are plenty of tried and true kits out there already and most are significantly cheaper. Check out HPA. They have a huge range of top quality coilovers that can be used for racing at a cheaper price. Moton, AST, JRZ, Etc.

accuair i'm pretty sure has been done on 1/3 series before, they're currently probably the 'biggest' name in bag systems.

not cheap though. oh boy not cheap.

ED: i stand corrected, looks like you can get a reasonable accuair kit for $2k + management.. <$4k all up. hm.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=891717

is one on an E92.

Last edited by flinchy; 02-21-2014 at 06:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 06:39 PM   #11
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy
Quote:

accuair i'm pretty sure has been done on 1/3 series before, they're currently probably the 'biggest' name in bag systems.

ED: i stand corrected, looks like you can get a reasonable accuair kit for $2k + management.. &lt;$4k all up. hm.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=891717

is one on an E92.
Maybe so, but highly unlikely found in the Aussie 1addicts forum unfortunately.

Curious as to their handling prowess though.
      02-21-2014, 06:56 PM   #12
Cakezilla
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

That fitment. That e92 looks pretty phat. Bags on a 135 seems pretty cray if you ask me, why not buy a 125/120 and bag it out.

Or even better get a Hilux and bag that haha.

A bagged 1er would looks bad ass but I know I'd be pretty pissed when the day came that I decided I wanted to take some twisties at speed and found the side of a tree instead.

But after saying that. Fk it. Bag it.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 07:17 PM   #13
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakezilla
That fitment. That e92 looks pretty phat. Bags on a 135 seems pretty cray if you ask me, why not buy a 125/120 and bag it out.

Or even better get a Hilux and bag that haha.

A bagged 1er would looks bad ass but I know I'd be pretty pissed when the day came that I decided I wanted to take some twisties at speed and found the side of a tree instead.

But after saying that. Fk it. Bag it.
As for their handling - seems like they have designed it with function in mind - they've track tested it according to a few articles, even matt farah has favourably reviewed it

As long as you set it up for a certain height day to day, and raise or lower from there.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 07:18 PM   #14
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by froop
Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy
Quote:

ED: i stand corrected, looks like you can get a reasonable accuair kit for $2k + management.. &amp;amp;lt;$4k all up. hm.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=891717" rel="" target="_blank">http://<a href="http://www.e90post.c...p?t=891717</a>

is one on an E92.
Maybe so, but highly unlikely found in the Aussie 1addicts forum unfortunately.

Curious as to their handling prowess though.
Yeah, also doubt there's too many potential owners of it here haha

Ed: on MCA though... If they actually made their lower series stuff, it would crap all over likely anything in the $2.5k and under bracket.. Pity they said no, 'don't see a market'
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 07:26 PM   #15
Kirst
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

I like how Flinchy basically just said I'm completely pants on head

Thanks -__-

Bags it is
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 07:53 PM   #16
BBK
Banned
Rep
Drives: A boring one...

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
Why don't you decide what you want to do with the car first, then ask what options to consider...
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 08:12 PM   #17
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBK View Post
Why don't you decide what you want to do with the car first, then ask what options to consider...
all i ever get told is showy/streety, so

she's even said yet to installing all my stereo gear lol.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2014, 01:13 AM   #18
Kirst
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBK
Because I've pretty well decided now
Just wanted to see if I could be swayed
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2014, 03:03 AM   #19
Cakezilla
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Just weld bars in your suspension and your diff and turn it into a drifter. Problem solved.

Just see how much fun this looks.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 11:22 PM   #20
Mr Marcus
Objects in the rear view mirror are losing
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i N55

02-23-2014, 11:57 PM   #21
Harlequin
Brigadier General