BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-25-2011, 07:17 PM   #1
DooBs
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1 Series M Coupe 697/740

Should I be worried???

Near the end of February I called around to about 20 different dealerships asking for info about the new 1M.
Some said they were taking orders, some full waitlists, and some not even taking orders since it wasn't out....

Finally I found a rep and set up an order... BSM Convenience and Premium
While talking with him I asked when I would be receiving the car since at the moment they hadn't begun production.
He said that I would have my car in May.

Sounded great, but after a few weeks and no updates I called him asking once again when it would be coming in.
He says he would have no info until he received a production number which there after would take about 6-8 weeks.

Now its the end of April and I have still yet to receive a production number.
I have been calling on a weekly basis receiving the same answer, "unsure until a production number is in"

Now I'm beginning to slightly worry
Is there really no way to even know when my car will begin production?
Will I even get one of these beauties?
Or is this just how it goes down?... I don't know since this is my first ordered car
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 07:24 PM   #2
EINSER M
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 rex

Garage List
placed an order for a 2012 135 and 2011 1M at the same time in march. the 135 finished production last week and should be en route soon, but still no production number on the 1M. be patient. they are low production cars, BMW is flooding the market with these 1Ms. i was told august for production on mine.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 07:58 PM   #3
Red135
La Flama Blanca
Rep
Drives: 1-series

Low production and they are flooding the market?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 08:05 PM   #4
Redadair
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M #293 - 88 E30 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red135 View Post
Low production and they are flooding the market?
Sorry, but BMW isn't flooding the market with these cars. Each dealer will only get a few cars for the year.

A couple of questions to the OP.

Did you put a deposit down on the car?

Did you agree in advance in writing the cost of the car i.e. MSRP?

If no to both I am sorry to say that your dealer is in the driver seat and could potentially charge you whatever they want. Some dealers are now charging as high as MSRP + 10K.

I wish you the best with your dealer and your car and hope it works out good for you. Sorry to sound so negative but this is the current environment for the 1M.

At the end of the day, it's still early in the year and things could change before end of production of the 1M
August 8th ED (#293 of 739 or 740)
88 E30 M3 100% OEM 73K Miles
02 E39 M5 Le Mans Blue 50K Miles
06 E46 M3 ZCP 58K Miles
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 08:14 PM   #5
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Golf R

I put a deposit down in early January and I believe my salesman called me in late February to confirm my options. Mine has finished production and is in route. Yeah, I think you should go down to the dealer and talk to your salesman and/or the sales manager. I've had a production number for a month now.
Attached Images

04-25-2011, 08:40 PM   #6
Jet Mech
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M Coupe VO

My salesperson has been in touch with me every week and has my 1500.00 deposit but i still dont have a production number. He assures me i will get one at sticker and not to worry. Im #2 on the list but they still dont have an allocation and even the guy that is #1 does not have a number. I think they get monthly allocations and next month might be when i will get mine. Im keeping my fingers crossed.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 09:06 PM   #7
EINSER M
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 rex

Garage List
edit: BMW is NOT flooding the market with the 1M
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 09:57 PM   #8
DooBs
Captain
United_States
Rep

... I put a $1000 deposit down, but no written agreement.
... what are the chances that I put this up and I just got a call from my sales rep right now...

He tells me that they want more than MSRP on my car now!
AFTER ****ing 2 months of waiting!!! NOW they tell me they don't have enough allocations at the moment and are not willing to sell at MSRP as they promised.

I brought up the verbal agreement and the May delivery date he promised me...
The response... "none of that matters" ...
I asked wasn't my order already placed...
The response... "we can change the order for another customer"...

Easy to say I AM HEATED
So rude and horrible customer service.

So enough rage and I want to GET MY CAR!
What can I do guys???
He says he'll call back tomorrow with more info, but I doubt he's going to say anything different than today.
I'm planning on contacting the head of the Dealership, but how do I find that out?
or BMWUSA...

any suggestions? or advice you can give me?

2 months wait with no heads up and now this???

i have papers written with pricing all over it, but no actual contract with signatures...

please help me out. I'd love to hear any tips or advice

PS- thanks for the quick replies
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 10:14 PM   #9
sq86
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i E92 LMB

Garage List
Call BMWNA and tell them your situation and see if they can help put the dealer under some pressure. If they wrote down #'s for the price of the car I would make them stick to it. There's nothing to say that they will since it wasn't set in stone but at least you can pressure them for that. They are still going to make a pretty penny off of you compared to most deals.

Also there is a formula based on the number of 1 series and M cars they sold last year including the total volume (# of units) for last year as well. I believe its a 35/65 ratio or something, maybe someone else knows? So they know how many cars they are going to get for sure. They may get an extra car as a bonus if another dealer doesn't sell theirs but that will be decided at the end of the year. Just pressure them to see how many cars they are getting. At my dealer for example they are only getting one for sure, mine. So the number two guy still has money down for a bonus vehicle at the end of the production. If they go back on you just call BMWNA and your local better business bureau or something to that sort. Thats my best advice. Good luck.

BMW CCA Member# 481791
Current: 2013 E92 328i LMB/Saddle Brown (1 of 21 for E92 LCI in that combo), 2018 F31 330xi AW/Saddle Brown
Sold: 2011 1M BS/Black, 2008 E90 328xi AW/Beige, 2001 E46 330xi SG/Black
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 10:16 PM   #10
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DooBs View Post
i have papers written with pricing all over it, but no actual contract with signatures...
Yeah, you wouldn't have a contract, etc. until you have a production/VIN. All of these pre-sale price talks are just a "gentleman's agreement" with the dealer.

Sorry to hear they are pulling this. Even sorrier to hear that this is going on at multiple dealerships
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 10:39 PM   #11
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DooBs View Post
... I put a $1000 deposit down, but no written agreement.
... what are the chances that I put this up and I just got a call from my sales rep right now...

He tells me that they want more than MSRP on my car now!
AFTER ****ing 2 months of waiting!!! NOW they tell me they don't have enough allocations at the moment and are not willing to sell at MSRP as they promised.

I brought up the verbal agreement and the May delivery date he promised me...
The response... "none of that matters" ...
I asked wasn't my order already placed...
The response... "we can change the order for another customer"...

Easy to say I AM HEATED
So rude and horrible customer service.

So enough rage and I want to GET MY CAR!
What can I do guys???
He says he'll call back tomorrow with more info, but I doubt he's going to say anything different than today.
I'm planning on contacting the head of the Dealership, but how do I find that out?
or BMWUSA...

any suggestions? or advice you can give me?

2 months wait with no heads up and now this???

please help me out. I'd love to hear any tips or advice

PS- thanks for the quick replies
going through the same thing with a small dealer myself.
They have a production slot for late fall, but want a $1500 deposit. The deposit is refundable until the car is ordered and they have not sold ANY 1Ms yet, so I would have the first slot, but they won't confirm pricing, saying " we don't know what the pricing is yet", which is a load of crap. I would go ahead and pay the deposit and WAIT (risking a chance at another slot opening sooner at another location) if they would confirm the pricing now, but without a firm price, I expect that they are leaving themselves wiggle room to pull the same " market adjustment" BS, so I'm continuing to look around. I hate car dealers.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 10:43 PM   #12
Redadair
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M #293 - 88 E30 M3

So sorry to hear about your situation. It happened to me as well at my second choice dealer who called me up with an allocation yet wanted to start a bidding war at $+4000 over MSRP.

Luckily I had a deposit and a signed agreement with my First choice local dealer who just found out I will get my car. I am #2 on his list and they have been informed that they will be getting 2 cars.

After my second choice dealer called me trying to get me to bid over $4K above MSRP, and I refused I called BMWNA to enter a formal complaint about this dealer only to be told that each dealer is privately owned and can charge whatever they want and BMWNA can't do anything about it. They told me I would need to take the issue up with the dealer's Management, the same people who are charging over MSRP.

What a sack of Sh.t this is turning out to be at some dealers. Yes this has happened with other newly released cars but it doesn't make it any easier to take, especially when it is happening to you.
August 8th ED (#293 of 739 or 740)
88 E30 M3 100% OEM 73K Miles
02 E39 M5 Le Mans Blue 50K Miles
06 E46 M3 ZCP 58K Miles
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 10:44 PM   #13
JohnL135I
Donkey Kong King
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Boss 302

Also, to add- A "Production Number" does not mean your car will soon be in production. I have a "Production Number" that is assigned to my dealer, however I'm still status 47, in the order que, BMWNA has yet to officially accept the order. So, I know I will get a car, but as of this time, neither my dealer, nor BMWNA can tell me when the car will be built. I received my production number at the end of Feb., my order has gone nowhere!
      04-26-2011, 02:21 AM   #14
hwelvaar
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i MT

You guys in the US have a weird way of starting a transaction.

I mean, putting down a deposit, just like that, without any clear written agreement on what the deposit is for, what the final price will be of the object that you are buying, estimated delivery time etc... Over here, that would be considered pretty stupid on the buyer's end. Sorry for these words, but maybe it's a cultural difference, and common in the US of A, but as became clear in this thread, it's of no use ?

Nonetheless, I hope you'll get a 1M.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 07:20 AM   #15
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Golf R

BMW NA - 1 (800) 831-1117

This was bound to happen at a few dealerships. Limited production brings our the greedy whores every time. Capitalism has it's downsides.
Good luck.
      04-26-2011, 10:39 AM   #16
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

OP what dealership is this?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 11:48 AM   #17
DooBs
Captain
United_States
Rep

wow how messed up! I didn't know this situation was so common!

Do you think there really are people out there wiling to pay so much over MSRP? looking at some posts I saw even 10K! really?
Waiting to hear from my rep to see how much more he's asking for

The dealer where this is happening is at

Pacific BMW, Glendale California
Anyone else have one down here? and are they experiencing the same?

Also do you think its the dealership asking for this price or am I just talking to the wrong rep?

ps - what happens if I just disagree to pay more its my order under my name afterall right? do you think i can just ignore them and wait for my car? ...

Last edited by DooBs; 04-26-2011 at 12:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 12:59 PM   #18
Papethova
Banned
Rep

Pacific is the WORST dealership. They wanted 5k over MSRP for my 135, I went to another dealer and paid 9k less than the Pacific asking price. This was 2-3 months BEFORE the launch of the 135.

Oddly Pacific had agreed to do 1M ED for me at $900 over ED invoice, but I found a better deal elsewhere. Not surprisingly they tried to sabotage my deal. Dont trust anything you are told at Pacific.

Ignore them and wait for the car to arrive. They may change their stance once the car is here, if allocations across the country open up, the hype dies down, or they feel they cant move your car the way you spec'd it.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 01:03 PM   #19
Red135
La Flama Blanca
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papethova View Post
if allocations across the country open up, the hype dies down, or they feel they cant move your car the way you spec'd it.
While true, that is a big 'if'.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 01:07 PM   #20
Papethova
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red135 View Post
While true, that is a big 'if'.
ya but when the car is here and its spec'd your way the dealer is more inclined to deal with you rather than risk being stuck.

I know people that order identical cars from 2-3 dealerships then put pressure on the 1st dealership when the car is on the boat. I think in every case that 1st dealership agreed to the buyers terms and the cars at the other dealerships were cancelled before production began. Dealerships know you can walk away so they are open to making a small profit just to move the car at that point.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 01:11 PM   #21
Red135
La Flama Blanca
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papethova View Post
ya but when the car is here and its spec'd your way the dealer is more inclined to deal with you rather than risk being stuck.
A customer walks into the dealership and asks to order a 1M. The dealership states that there are no allocations available to order, but there is one on the lot. You believe the customer would choose no car over the one available just because he didn't spec it?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 01:15 PM   #22
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

I don't think there will ever be an unsold 1M on a dealer lot.

Unless it is marked up $10K or something ridiculous.
Appreciate 0