BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-25-2013, 02:00 AM   #1651
yawn
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

So finally installed Stage1+ and decided see what kind of a difference the tune makes. Took her out for a bit if a drive and noticed a few things:

On one or two pedal to the metal runs, I noticed a slight surge in acceleration after lift-off. As I understand, others have experienced this issue, but, any resolution to this? Could be quite dangerous if you take your foot off to start to slow down, only to have the car accelerate for a split second more. Doesn't happen every time, but then again, all it takes is to be at the wrong place at the wrong time...

Also, I noticed from inside the cabin, there is a more metallic drone under acceleration now. This was definitely not there prior to the tune. Any thoughts guys? Something that wasn't loud before has become much louder.

Definitely happy with the added power the car has now - acceleration is much greater lower in the rev range. However, there is now a lack of smoothness in the delivery of this power. Guess a pro-tune should help fix this eh? Overall though, you could say I'm a happy camper with the tune

Thoughts appreciated!

EDIT: was just mulling over the "surge in acceleration after lift-off" issues - could it be that it just takes time for the car to adapt?

Last edited by yawn; 06-25-2013 at 02:37 AM.. Reason: Afterthought
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 03:15 AM   #1652
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 SD

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkatron View Post
So finally installed Stage1+ and decided see what kind of a difference the tune makes. Took her out for a bit if a drive and noticed a few things:

On one or two pedal to the metal runs, I noticed a slight surge in acceleration after lift-off. As I understand, others have experienced this issue, but, any resolution to this? Could be quite dangerous if you take your foot off to start to slow down, only to have the car accelerate for a split second more. Doesn't happen every time, but then again, all it takes is to be at the wrong place at the wrong time...

Also, I noticed from inside the cabin, there is a more metallic drone under acceleration now. This was definitely not there prior to the tune. Any thoughts guys? Something that wasn't loud before has become much louder.

Definitely happy with the added power the car has now - acceleration is much greater lower in the rev range. However, there is now a lack of smoothness in the delivery of this power. Guess a pro-tune should help fix this eh? Overall though, you could say I'm a happy camper with the tune

Thoughts appreciated!

EDIT: was just mulling over the "surge in acceleration after lift-off" issues - could it be that it just takes time for the car to adapt?
Let car to adapt talking about any of those things you mentioned
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 09:16 AM   #1653
euro2fast4u
Private
Rep
Drives: signle turbo e30

Quote:

Thoughts appreciated!

Does the metallic noise sound like BB's in a tin can?
      06-25-2013, 04:51 PM   #1654
yawn
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro2fast4u
Quote:

Thoughts appreciated!

Does the metallic noise sound like BB's in a tin can?
Lol no - no waste gate rattling just drone.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 05:38 PM   #1655
foghat
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Pats View Post
It's really a simple process in terms of what you are doing mechanically, my ER pipe came with good instructions and it makes enough sense. Again, can't over state how much faster it gets once you've done it once. Will probably take you a few hours to go slowly and figure out a few "problems" the first time you do it, but that's just the nature of working in a cramped engine bay. The only hitch I ran into the first time was unplugging the MAP sensor from the OE piping, but outside of that it was cake. If you get around to it and the directions are confusing PM me and i'll try to help out

It's blind luck man, some people can run 18.5+ PSI through their OE piping for 50K with no issues, others blow theirs off the throttle body at 8 PSI. I'd just replace it for peace of mind.
I thought the issue with charge pipes blowing was an n55 thing? No?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 06:16 PM   #1656
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by foghat View Post
I thought the issue with charge pipes blowing was an n55 thing? No?
It sucks even more on the N55...but it def. can crack on the N54.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 11:08 PM   #1657
Gemballa1980
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Hi all,

Just ran my first logs.. Was just curious if anyone could take a quick look and highlight if there's anything I should be concerned about.

FBO running Stage 2+ agg on 98oct

Datalog 4 is a 2nd - 3rd - 4th geat WOT pull
Datalog 5 is a 2nd - 3rd gear WOT pull

Thinking about getting a PTF etune done as I'm in Australia and have no local tuners.

Thanks in advance!
Attached Files
File Type: zip datalog4&5.zip (9.9 KB, 77 views)
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2013, 12:02 AM   #1658
1911A145
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemballa1980 View Post
Hi all,

Just ran my first logs.. Was just curious if anyone could take a quick look and highlight if there's anything I should be concerned about.

FBO running Stage 2+ agg on 98oct

Datalog 4 is a 2nd - 3rd - 4th geat WOT pull
Datalog 5 is a 2nd - 3rd gear WOT pull

Thinking about getting a PTF etune done as I'm in Australia and have no local tuners.

Thanks in advance!
Look's "OK" , but Can you PLEASE get a data log starting in erd gear @ 2k rpm and go to reline and then end the log. do the same in 4th. make sure you log both LTFT's banks. as well.

Thanks.

393 RWHP / 434 RWTQ
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2013, 12:10 AM   #1659
Gemballa1980
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911A145 View Post
Look's "OK" , but Can you PLEASE get a data log starting in erd gear @ 2k rpm and go to reline and then end the log. do the same in 4th. make sure you log both LTFT's banks. as well.

Thanks.
Will do... Thanks for the tip!
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2013, 05:29 AM   #1660
yawn
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

I've also noticed too that on sudden lift-off of the gas (gear change), there is now a distinct sound happening - my DVs? Wasn't aware they made noise since they're not venting to the atmosphere.... Can hear it right in the cabin, and it's loud - wasn't there before. I seem to be hitting 18psi. That ok?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2013, 08:08 AM   #1661
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I've also noticed too that on sudden lift-off of the gas (gear change), there is now a distinct sound happening - my DVs? Wasn't aware they made noise since they're not venting to the atmosphere.... Can hear it right in the cabin, and it's loud - wasn't there before. I seem to be hitting 18psi. That ok?
If you suddenly let off high load, the DVs will make some noise for sure. If its like a Synapse or HKS bov, then something could be up. Check codes if you have a boost leak.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2013, 02:59 PM   #1662
Jcrewsn
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i

Garage List
2009 135i Sport  [0.00]
^^DVs for sure

Where can I find any info about Meth maps? Anything yet?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2013, 08:08 PM   #1663
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcrewsn View Post
^^DVs for sure

Where can I find any info about Meth maps? Anything yet?
No such thing as a Cobb OTS meth map, if thats what you mean. Race/e30 has the most aggressive timing available.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2013, 10:40 PM   #1664
yawn
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Pats
Quote:
If you suddenly let off high load, the DVs will make some noise for sure. If its like a Synapse or HKS bov, then something could be up. Check codes if you have a boost leak.
Thanks for confirming - I just wondered why they got so much louder.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 03:03 AM   #1665
yawn
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Ah yeah, also noticed under WOT, the car has a tendency to want to squirm. I really have to concentrate to hold the wheel straight. And no, I don't think the car is skidding as such - I don't notice the lights flickering or anything like that. Just feels.... dangerous? Would improving my suspension fix this?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 08:18 AM   #1666
JHOOPS2
AKA HISSMAN
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 SG 135i Coupe'

Quote:
Ah yeah, also noticed under WOT, the car has a tendency to want to squirm. I really have to concentrate to hold the wheel straight. And no, I don't think the car is skidding as such - I don't notice the lights flickering or anything like that. Just feels.... dangerous? Would improving my suspension fix this?

Yes. Also, check you wheel bearings and make sure everything is up to spec.
      06-27-2013, 04:12 PM   #1667
yawn
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHOOPS2
Quote:

Yes. Also, check you wheel bearings and make sure everything is up to spec.
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2013, 10:04 AM   #1668
2kredz3
Mod Squad Motorsports
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i M Sport 6MT

Did a fast pull last night after getting ready for the track and laid down 335hp/425tq

stage 1 aggressive map
AFE Intake
Amsoil Fluids through out the car

Not making power above 5.5K, obvious the stock down pipes are a huge restriction. ;-)

Thanks Cobb for a great product!

Kelly
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 01:01 PM   #1669
Jcrewsn
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i Sport  [0.00]
Quote:
No such thing as a Cobb OTS meth map, if thats what you mean. Race/e30 has the most aggressive timing available.
If I still wanted to run Cobb with meth...anything I can do? I've heard that there are Cobb tuners, is that something they'd be able to help with?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 03:59 PM   #1670
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcrewsn View Post
If I still wanted to run Cobb with meth...anything I can do? I've heard that there are Cobb tuners, is that something they'd be able to help with?
Protune it or learn ATR and make a map your self. At the most basic level, the meth will cool the charge air and add octane. So the primary benefit from the tuning side is more aggressive timing, but a proper protune will obviously account for much much more.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 04:23 PM   #1671
Jcrewsn
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i Sport  [0.00]
Quote:
Protune it or learn ATR and make a map your self. At the most basic level, the meth will cool the charge air and add octane. So the primary benefit from the tuning side is more aggressive timing, but a proper protune will obviously account for much much more.
Thanks for the help!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2013, 12:29 PM   #1672
Rob HT
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Great sight that has wealth of info guys! I p/u a '98 135i last month. Up to this point all of my exp has been w/American V-8s. My question - is the Snow Performance Water/Methanol Injection compatible with the Cobb Tuning?
Appreciate 0