Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

06-01-2011, 06:03 PM   #1
discoboy1
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E82 1M VO/F30 328D

Poll: The 1M Drone Syndrome

I am experiencing I think a exhaust drone with my 1M.
It occurs @ 2300RPM and 70 mph in sixth gear. it gets noticeably louder inside compared to going 55-60 mph.
I will try to measure with a DB meter over the week-end to see the difference, and will post results.

UPDATED**
I have taken measurements in the car driving in 6th gear from 55-70 mph,
lowest reading I got was 86-87 db, when drone is present I got peak readings of 97db.

UPDATE 2

After 2000 miles I can report the problem has not changed.

Driving on the highway, no hills, steady gas the noise inside the cabin will go up by almost 10db and disappears, then come back.
It is not a steady loud noise.....

Last edited by discoboy1; 08-29-2011 at 08:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 06:24 PM   #2
Franklin Joseph
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

i finally noticed this today....thought it was the truck next to me, but as i pulled away, it got louder.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 07:01 PM   #3
///1M
Captain
Rep
Drives: On a good day, AW 1M coupe

Is this something that's "fixable," and if so, what's the likelihood that BMW will be able to make an exhaust adjustment through the dealer network?

Unfortunately, the small 1M community doesn't have clout in numbers, but maybe BMW will still address this suspected issue.

Drone can be a real killer. Can make you fall out of love with a car!
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 07:35 PM   #4
Mnime
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cayman GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///1M View Post

Drone can be a real killer. Can make you fall out of love with a car!
Only until I put the gas pedal to the floor...then i love it all over again.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 08:44 PM   #5
rapter
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1(M)other f*^#er of a car

Definitely heard and hear The drone....

What the hell are we going to do about this?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 12:14 AM   #6
Dick Brown
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1m, Porche Boxster, Audi A8L

Drone 2

"I am experiencing I think a exhaust drone with my 1M.
It occurs @ 2300RPM and 70 mph in sixth gear. it gets noticeably louder inside compared to going 55-60 mph."

This is exactly what I have been experiencing. Definitely can be annoying on the highway as it is constant pretty loud.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 04:19 AM   #7
hajohehe
Private
Rep
Drives:

I exprienced it, but i came from very loud car. It does not bother me much. If it is intended drone for extra HP or performance boost, I am okay with it. If it is just half ass job, then they better fix it.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 04:34 AM   #8
cc3
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, GT4, M2 M140i G40

I think mine is getting better with miles. Just done a reasonable trip of 150 miles and the exhaust still isn't quiet but it was fine given it's a performance car!! Sounds nice outside so accept there may be a trade off in the car. Overall brilliant package. Almost run in and and an opportunity to open her up. Wow!! It's quick away from the lights and that mid range poke is very very impressive.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 04:49 AM   #9
BMW-driver
Drive carefully :)
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 1M Valencia Orange

That's bad. I experienced exacty the same 'drone' with the AC-Schnitzer exhaust. A drone at appr. 2300 revs 6th gear (70 mph) or 110/120 Kph. The drone was really annoying. I removed that exhaust asap, and put on the OEM exhaust back on. Problem solved. No drone anymore. With the 1M///, the problem can't be fixed that easy As for performance? No difference at all between the exhausts: still 382bhp and 565 Nm (all cranck numbers).
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 06:51 AM   #10
momo style
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1m

i didnt experience anything... Ill keep my ears open though
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 06:51 AM   #11
fastauto
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M Coupe

yes, its bad at times but something i can live with.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 08:31 AM   #12
///1M
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by acs1.35i View Post
That's bad. I experienced exacty the same 'drone' with the AC-Schnitzer exhaust. A drone at appr. 2300 revs 6th gear (70 mph) or 110/120 Kph. The drone was really annoying. I removed that exhaust asap, and put on the OEM exhaust back on. Problem solved. No drone anymore. With the 1M///, the problem can't be fixed that easy As for performance? No difference at all between the exhausts: still 382bhp and 565 Nm (all cranck numbers).
Has the 1M been dyno'd at 382 at the crank? I've seen the IL results, but those were at the wheel.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 08:39 AM   #13
JJSchmooze
I'm on that Orange Crush
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe VOP ZCV ZPP

With just over 1000 miles on mine, the drone has significantly decreased, although there remains a deep tone between 2100-2900 rpms. When I say deep, it would probably be compared to my STI when I had just the axle-back portion of the exhaust done. It shouldn't be a downer, as most of us realized that this is not your average 135, so we should expect more noise to a reasonable extent.

I recommend getting to the first oil change at 1000 miles before lodging a complaint to your dealer.

“Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... that’s what gets you.” Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 09:14 AM   #14
Franklin Joseph
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

the drone this morning was half as bad...but it was 20 degrees cooler than yesterday, maybe its heat/humidity dependent.
Its something that i can live with, and it has a sweetspot = 2300-2400rpm in 6th, outside this range and its drone free. (at least for me)
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 11:25 AM   #15
rapter
Lieutenant
Rep

To update everyone following this thread.

I have contact BMW Canada and have opened a case # in regards to the concern/ issue that many are having with their vehicle. I am going to the dealership to drive the vehicle with both their shop foreman and the service manager.

I suggest that others pick up the phone and contact either BMW Canada, BMW USA, BMW North America, BMW UK etc etc and start similar cases. In this way we can all learn and contribute to BMW's knowledge pool and help sort out a solution as to why some are experiencing the issue and others are not.

Update: June 2 2011

Dealership: Took a ride with the Service Manager and the Shop Foreman this afternoon after contacting BMW Canada customer Service in regards to this exhaust Drone. The Service manager and the Shop Foreman BOTH have said, yes that is a drone.

However, both noted that "although we hear a drone it does not necessarily mean that there is a problem with the system". The Shop Foreman indicated that the resonance from the Drone appears to be originating all they way a the header's of the exhaust system and travels all the way down the system to the exhaust.

In Sum: The dealer is leaning towards this drone being a design feature/ characteristic of the vehicles performance.

What the Dealer has done: They have contact their Regional Technical representative who will be involved in the loop pertaining to this situation. Once they hear back from the Regional Technical rep. they will get back to me with an answer.

BMW Canada customer Service They are documenting the whole experience as it happens. They are in agreement with the dealers who have contacted the Technical Rep. BMW Canada wants to wait and see what will happen with this situation as it unfolds.

I will continually update the thread as the story goes on...

Last edited by rapter; 06-02-2011 at 03:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 06:24 PM   #16
discoboy1
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E82 1M VO/F30 328D

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapter View Post
To update everyone following this thread.

I have contact BMW Canada and have opened a case # in regards to the concern/ issue that many are having with their vehicle. I am going to the dealership to drive the vehicle with both their shop foreman and the service manager.

I suggest that others pick up the phone and contact either BMW Canada, BMW USA, BMW North America, BMW UK etc etc and start similar cases. In this way we can all learn and contribute to BMW's knowledge pool and help sort out a solution as to why some are experiencing the issue and others are not.

Update: June 2 2011

Dealership: Took a ride with the Service Manager and the Shop Foreman this afternoon after contacting BMW Canada customer Service in regards to this exhaust Drone. The Service manager and the Shop Foreman BOTH have said, yes that is a drone.

However, both noted that "although we hear a drone it does not necessarily mean that there is a problem with the system". The Shop Foreman indicated that the resonance from the Drone appears to be originating all they way a the header's of the exhaust system and travels all the way down the system to the exhaust.

In Sum: The dealer is leaning towards this drone being a design feature/ characteristic of the vehicles performance.

What the Dealer has done: They have contact their Regional Technical representative who will be involved in the loop pertaining to this situation. Once they hear back from the Regional Technical rep. they will get back to me with an answer.

BMW Canada customer Service They are documenting the whole experience as it happens. They are in agreement with the dealers who have contacted the Technical Rep. BMW Canada wants to wait and see what will happen with this situation as it unfolds.

I will continually update the thread as the story goes on...
Can I ask what dealer are you talking to?
      06-02-2011, 06:35 PM   #17
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
Drone is precisely why I went with the DINAN exhaust over other manufacturers with my E90M3. If in fact there is 'drone' especially at cruising freeway speeds this is in my opinion a design flaw. Tuners are able to develop sportier high flow after market exhausts without drone if they do the proper R&D. I'd be interested if the 1M internals of the exhaust has a Helmholtz chamber or not.
      06-02-2011, 06:59 PM   #18
rapter
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoboy1 View Post
Can I ask what dealer are you talking to?
I am dealing with Parkview bmw
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 07:01 PM   #19
rapter
Lieutenant
Rep

From a design prospective, how does one fix an exhaust drone?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 09:54 PM   #20
///1M
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapter View Post
From a design prospective, how does one fix an exhaust drone?
This is a great question, and would really be interested to hear an expert weigh in.

Yes, I intend to track the car, but also commute with it. Believe me, drone gets old fast (depending on how loud and at what speeds, of course). If the 1M drone is in fact most pronounced at 70mph, and isn't "fixable," it's a deal killer for me.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 04:17 AM   #21
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: always changing

this is interesting. since i already placed the order with an aftermarket exhaust without the actual car being delivered, i'm wondering if it would help or worsen the drone issue. knowing the drone doesn't really related to loudness, i can't wait to get mine in few weeks to test it out.

btw, i don't think this would be an issue elsewhere or even for myself. driving around 70 mph on fwy... that's just so not going to happen with me in the 1M. i'm not worried, at all.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 04:31 AM   #22
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2045 View Post
this is interesting. since i already placed the order with an aftermarket exhaust without the actual car being delivered, i'm wondering if it would help or worsen the drone issue.
May I ask which system you ordered? As fas as I know there isn't anything out there for the 1M yet, at least not a production system.
Appreciate 0