BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-22-2014, 08:05 AM   #1
jzmundy
Major
Rep
Drives: F97

Sanity check: interesting TPMS behavior

Hi all,

A couple weeks ago, I was fortunate enough to snag a set of 313s from the guys at getbmwparts. They included pre-09/2010 TPMS and Dunlop RFTs already installed. Since my 135 is a MY13, I preemptively ordered the newer sensors from TireRack, as I knew the older version would not sync up with my car.

This is where it gets interesting. I installed the wheels the other night with the old sensors still in them, fully expecting to deal with TPMS warning lights. Started up the car, and bam! Low tire warning on all four corners and the inability to initialize the system via iDrive. I had not thought to check the pressure in the tires before installing, so I chalked this up to the sensors not being compatible. Next morning, it dawns on me to check the tire pressure and all four corners were between 15-20 psi. After filling them up, the low tire warning went away and I was able to initialize the (presumably incompatible) sensors through iDrive. I've driven about 30 miles since, and the TPMS is still active.

My question is this: Let's assume the sensors are the pre-09/2010 version. Have there been any reports of newer cars accepting the older sensors? Also, for my sanity and before I return the new sensors to TireRack, is there any reason to expect them to just irreversibly unsync at any point? Again, I've driven about 30 miles with no issue at this point.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Zach
      09-24-2014, 01:29 PM   #2
TT-Tom
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: C.S.B

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzmundy View Post
Hi all,

A couple weeks ago, I was fortunate enough to snag a set of 313s from the guys at getbmwparts. They included pre-09/2010 TPMS and Dunlop RFTs already installed. Since my 135 is a MY13, I preemptively ordered the newer sensors from TireRack, as I knew the older version would not sync up with my car.

This is where it gets interesting. I installed the wheels the other night with the old sensors still in them, fully expecting to deal with TPMS warning lights. Started up the car, and bam! Low tire warning on all four corners and the inability to initialize the system via iDrive. I had not thought to check the pressure in the tires before installing, so I chalked this up to the sensors not being compatible. Next morning, it dawns on me to check the tire pressure and all four corners were between 15-20 psi. After filling them up, the low tire warning went away and I was able to initialize the (presumably incompatible) sensors through iDrive. I've driven about 30 miles since, and the TPMS is still active.

My question is this: Let's assume the sensors are the pre-09/2010 version. Have there been any reports of newer cars accepting the older sensors? Also, for my sanity and before I return the new sensors to TireRack, is there any reason to expect them to just irreversibly unsync at any point? Again, I've driven about 30 miles with no issue at this point.

Zach
The tpms system will throw a light asap, so if its functioning, which it seems to be; youre all good!
      09-24-2014, 01:43 PM   #3
jzmundy
Major
Rep
Drives: F97

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT-Tom
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzmundy View Post
Hi all,

Zach
The tpms system will throw a light asap, so if its functioning, which it seems to be; youre all good!
Been trouble free for well over a month now. Weird, but I'm not complaining!