BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-25-2011, 10:59 AM   #1
spotshooter
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cayman S

Exhaust install Seattle

New 135i owner here. AW, Manual, M Sport. Exhaust will be my first upgrade. I am thinking either BMW Performance or Dinan.

Can anyone recommend a good shop to install? BMW Seattle wanted $300. Can I do better?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 10:31 AM   #2
Revelate
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 LMB 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotshooter View Post
New 135i owner here. AW, Manual, M Sport. Exhaust will be my first upgrade. I am thinking either BMW Performance or Dinan.

Can anyone recommend a good shop to install? BMW Seattle wanted $300. Can I do better?

Thanks.
Welcome, good to see another 135 in the area. Any competent mechanic can install a bolt-on exhaust, though I believe the BMW Performance isn't bolt-on since it doesn't include midpipes and must be cut after the resonator (someone correct me if I'm wrong). If that's the case, $300 is expensive but not totally unreasonable... for a dealer.

Call Eastside Bavarian or Strictly BMW if you want a non-dealer quote.

I can only comment on my exhaust which is a Berk sport and includes all hardware back to the downpipes so it was simply plug and play. My mechanic charged me actual time which ended up at just over an hour of labor. Nowhere near $300.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 04:52 PM   #3
spotshooter
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cayman S

How do you like your Berk? I want a better sound, but not over the top.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2011, 11:04 AM   #4
Revelate
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 LMB 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotshooter View Post
How do you like your Berk? I want a better sound, but not over the top.
Overall I love the Berk. It's hard to describe the loudness of sound without a point of reference, so I'll just say it sounds great on-throttle and off-throttle. In my opinion it blends with the power of the N54 quite well... yes it's loud, but it's not all for show. Depending on my mood, I may feel it's too loud at times, but it's never obnoxious.

I also wanted it for the 25lb weight savings and power increase. With a Dinan ECU as my baseline I realized a small hp/tq increase (6hp/10tq), though I am having issues with the Dinan ECU that, if fixed, would probably net the exhaust upgrade more like 15hp/20+tq.