BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-07-2017, 09:23 PM   #1
vinylengraver
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i

How expensive is too expensive? Duh!

I made a promise to myself and my car that I will be keeping it genuine oem BMW forevah. And I am starting to regret this.
I made up my mind on what my 1er wants for Christmas.

Initially, it was a toss-up between Performance Exhaust and Suspension.

But, as blasphemous as it seems, I don't really love the PE sound... I dunno, I kinda prefer the Corsa/CP-E/Rogue sound... throaty but mellow.
PE is throaty and raspy and screaming all at once, but to my Very Musical Ears it does not sound quite right. Like the harmonics are wrong... I feel like they did not really tune it, just made it louder. But I digress...
So anyway, stock it stays.

And that leaves me with the suspension scenario, which is just as well since the car needs it way more, especially once those RFTs are now behind us.

So I call my friendly local BMW dealer, who BTW quoted me a very, very tempting price on the PE and ask them for the BWM Performance Suspension kit plus yellow springs plus labour, since this was the only way I could get a price break and 15% in loyalty points towards my next new bmw vehicle purchase

The quote was for $4600 canadian (deduct 25% or so to get $USD equivalent)
Shit, I did not expect that.
I mean, c'mon, that is hella expensive, no?
And for what? Not that much I hear...

I think I will have to break the promise I mentioned earlier and get me some Konis instead.
Can you buy those yellow springs separately - so it's all nice and yellow under there and still sort-of OEM-ish?

Last edited by vinylengraver; 12-07-2017 at 09:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 10:43 PM   #2
MaC-N54-E82
G82 Love
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4 Competition xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinylengraver View Post
I made a promise to myself and my car that I will be keeping it genuine oem BMW forevah. And I am starting to regret this.
I made up my mind on what my 1er wants for Christmas.

Initially, it was a toss-up between Performance Exhaust and Suspension.

But, as blasphemous as it seems, I don't really love the PE sound... I dunno, I kinda prefer the Corsa/CP-E/Rogue sound... throaty but mellow.
PE is throaty and raspy and screaming all at once, but to my Very Musical Ears it does not sound quite right. Like the harmonics are wrong... I feel like they did not really tune it, just made it louder. But I digress...
So anyway, stock it stays.

And that leaves me with the suspension scenario, which is just as well since the car needs it way more, especially once those RFTs are now behind us.

So I call my friendly local BMW dealer, who BTW quoted me a very, very tempting price on the PE and ask them for the BWM Performance Suspension kit plus yellow springs plus labour, since this was the only way I could get a price break and 15% in loyalty points towards my next new bmw vehicle purchase

The quote was for $4600 canadian (deduct 25% or so to get $USD equivalent)
Shit, I did not expect that.
I mean, c'mon, that is hella expensive, no?
And for what? Not that much I hear...

I think I will have to break the promise I mentioned earlier and get me some Konis instead.
Can you buy those yellow springs separately - so it's all nice and yellow under there and still sort-of OEM-ish?
You can purchase the BMW sport springs separately. Getbmwparts.com is a great source.
Also: FJ60, Volvo Recharge
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 11:55 PM   #3
fast1eddy
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Lemans Blue

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
  [0.00]
I have the Performance suspension on my car. I like it a lot and would highly recommend it but not at that price. I wouldn't pay half that amount for it installed. What is the price of the suspension itself before install ?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2017, 04:14 AM   #4
a4nut
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 13 135is

I just removed my sport suspension, and frankly I think it was terrible. Far too floaty on the highway and I've the big stuff, and just plain sloppy. I went with Ohlins coilovers, and it's perfect. Tight without being harsh, simply stable.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2017, 10:49 AM   #5
Thewind727
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 135i AT

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Tc Kline here and i cant even decribe how good they feel, i understand the wanting to stay bmw everything but dare i say it they dont make everything better than everyone else
08 135i AT / xHP stage 3 trans flash / vrsf 7.5 hd FMIC/ docrace single 6266 dbb precision turbo kit / TCKline s/a coilovers / RB external pcv kit / Active Autowerke ChargePipe / Wavtrac lsd / Whiteline subframe and Diff Full bushings / WedgeTuning full e85 custom tune 26psi / Blackmarketparts Port Injection Kit
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2017, 11:10 AM   #6
vinylengraver
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thewind727 View Post
Tc Kline here and i cant even decribe how good they feel, i understand the wanting to stay bmw everything but dare i say it they dont make everything better than everyone else
You know, this confirms my suspicions about TCKline setup's superiority...
May I ask what spring rates did you chose and is the car street, track or both?

PS: I do not really believe the OEM setup is the best, not by a long stretch.
I just had too many hit-and-misses with aftermarket suspension setups on my previous cars.
My NC Miata with factory-supplied Bilsteins was how I believe a car should feel.
Everything else I ever drove always ended up feeling somewhat disappointing. Including the 1er.
I am convinced that with the sorted suspension this will be a keeper.

Last edited by vinylengraver; 12-08-2017 at 11:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2017, 12:04 PM   #7
Thewind727
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinylengraver View Post
You know, this confirms my suspicions about TCKline setup's superiority...
May I ask what spring rates did you chose and is the car street, track or both?

PS: I do not really believe the OEM setup is the best, not by a long stretch.
I just had too many hit-and-misses with aftermarket suspension setups on my previous cars.
My NC Miata with factory-supplied Bilsteins was how I believe a car should feel.
Everything else I ever drove always ended up feeling somewhat disappointing. Including the 1er.
I am convinced that with the sorted suspension this will be a keeper.
Im all street atm but trying to get setup for some track days, i went with 350f 600r single adjustable i drive alot of hiway and city mixed good and bad roads and these coils over feel perfect on all of it i took her out to some windy roads yesterday and man it just felt so planted i was amazed, i also just did the whiteline rear subframe bushing best mods ever!!!
08 135i AT / xHP stage 3 trans flash / vrsf 7.5 hd FMIC/ docrace single 6266 dbb precision turbo kit / TCKline s/a coilovers / RB external pcv kit / Active Autowerke ChargePipe / Wavtrac lsd / Whiteline subframe and Diff Full bushings / WedgeTuning full e85 custom tune 26psi / Blackmarketparts Port Injection Kit
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 08:38 PM   #8
beattiecj
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i 2017 x5 35i 1988 e30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thewind727 View Post
Im all street atm but trying to get setup for some track days, i went with 350f 600r single adjustable i drive alot of hiway and city mixed good and bad roads and these coils over feel perfect on all of it i took her out to some windy roads yesterday and man it just felt so planted i was amazed, i also just did the whiteline rear subframe bushing best mods ever!!!
Appreciate your input and feedback really tempted to pull the trigger on a set!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2018, 11:00 AM   #9
Thewind727
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by beattiecj View Post
Appreciate your input and feedback really tempted to pull the trigger on a set!
Well i can say after a few weeks of driving on them and getting my ride height set where i want it, I love them!!! the car feels great and the only time its harsh at all is on really sharp bump like road reflectors and the sort but overall the car feels great and i love the adjustability.
Appreciate 0