Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M VO

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRSTM View Post
Attachment 1108732

I like this one the most but on the bottom numbers should be 1/740 to keep it simple. Thanks for doing this.
Yep, you can do whatever you want since these are all custom designed. You can do 1/740 or ONE OF 740..it's going to be up to you.

Others have suggested using VIN numbers which is great too since there's no denying that the VIN belongs to that vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2014, 12:02 PM   #90
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F32 Coupé

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRSTM View Post
I like this one the most but on the bottom numbers should be 1/740 to keep it simple.
"740" only applies to the USA. The remaining 6000 or so of us might want something different...

Just saying...
      10-24-2014, 04:29 PM   #91
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
"740" only applies to the USA. The remaining 6000 or so of us might want something different...

Just saying...
With this 1M Coupe VIN series overview you could determine your global serial number to list on the plaque, or just nice to know as a personal 1M trivia.

I haven't seen other 1M VIN series overviews. Also no independent nor BMW confirmation that this is indeed the full chronological overview. Only 4055 EU/ROW iso 4155 reported by others. total of 6242 is 89 less than the official 6331). If we can develop some kind of consensus on this overview, we could make a look up table that's easy for all owners to determine their global 1M serial number.

Perhaps better to continue this in the Official BMW 1M Registry thread.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2014, 05:23 PM   #92
FIRSTM
Buck Sgt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post

Just saying...
lol, I am talking about USA 1M, not the rest of the world, even tho the vin number isn't bad idea either, I just like to keep it simple.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 09:48 AM   #93
arvinz
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
First post updated with ordering info and pics

Last edited by arvinz; 10-27-2014 at 05:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 05:03 PM   #94
EldRick
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M VO - #161 US

Please strike me from the list.

I'll print my own, in plastic...
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 05:12 PM   #95
arvinz
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by EldRick View Post
Please strike me from the list.

I'll print my own, in plastic...
No prob man, thanks for the interest.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2014, 06:38 AM   #96
1MOz
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M AW & F15X5 40d & M2C HS

Mate, $120USD for a name plaque is a bit steep. I appreciate its good look but I'm not sure if there will be a lot of takers with that price.

I would have thought the price at most would be around $50USD.

Does anyone else feel the same or am I the only cheapskate here?
      10-28-2014, 07:32 AM   #97
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Long story short: I'm out

The long story: Looking at the images of samples I'm concerned about:
1- the 3D printing lines; choosing the sunken/'engraved' character style, I might be able to smooth-en that, however the raised faux corner pins make that somewhat difficult.
2- the lack of color match with the other satin silver on the dashboard as on the radio dails etc (also mentioned by Arvinz). My favorite color now is the matt black but it still has issue #1.

I appreciate your initiative efforts greatly, but it turns out to be not of me. @1MOz: I do think this price level for a high quality custom metal piece is acceptable for all that do not share my (personal) issue #1
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2014, 07:49 AM   #98
arvinz
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOz View Post
Mate, $120USD for a name plaque is a bit steep. I appreciate its good look but I'm not sure if there will be a lot of takers with that price.

I would have thought the price at most would be around $50USD.

Does anyone else feel the same or am I the only cheapskate here?
Hey bud, actually, you're definitely not a cheapskate

You're among a few already that have voiced their concern regarding the price so in light of that, I'm going to work on removing excess metal that is just adding extra volume/weight. It's going to be a bit thinner but that will reduce 40-50% of the flat metal on the back which will result in a considerable price drop.

So I appreciate the concern and I'm going to take the pricing off the first post and try to nail down a price that's more reasonable for everyone in the $50-60 ball range.

So just hang on
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2014, 08:05 AM   #99
arvinz
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eeghie View Post
Long story short: I'm out

The long story: Looking at the images of samples I'm concerned about:
1- the 3D printing lines; choosing the sunken/'engraved' character style, I might be able to smooth-en that, however the raised faux corner pins make that somewhat difficult.
2- the lack of color match with the other satin silver on the dashboard as on the radio dails etc (also mentioned by Arvinz). My favorite color now is the matt black but it still has issue #1.

I appreciate your initiative efforts greatly, but it turns out to be not of me. @1MOz: I do think this price level for a high quality custom metal piece is acceptable for all that do not share my (personal) issue #1
Hey eeghie,

Appreciate the comments. As for issue #1, we can definitely remove the faux corner pins from the design. Since these are all custom designed, it's entirely up to you what you do on the surface. But ya, I think you could definitely sand it down if the lines bother you.

Issue #2 is a bit harder considering printing metal isn't something that's as consistent as ink. You get a lot of randomness as well as pitting here and there. Sometimes it gives a really nice effect...the polished grey metal has a really nice shine/feel to it that comes from the randomness of the printing but it's not a perfect match to the dials.

Also, just a note, I am listening to everyone and I've already begun redesigning the plaque to get that price down considerably. Printing metal is not cheap but if I have the ability to remove excess metal that's not affecting the design then I will so everyone can afford these.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2014, 10:20 AM   #100
EldRick
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Or rather than 3D print it, any trophy shop should be able to engrave the designs at much lower cost.

In any case, if it gets back down in the $40-60 range count me back in.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2014, 08:43 PM   #101
Rikx1M
MSgt (ret)
Germany
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #739/740

Garage List
I appreciate your efforts and also thought 1) the price was steep...2) corner pins seemed trite and 3) way too thick, looks really beefing, maybe better mounted on a Raptor....

..that being said i really appreciate your efforts and am still in at a lower price point pending final design.

Thx
      10-28-2014, 10:45 PM   #102
arvinz
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikx1M View Post
I appreciate your efforts and also thought 1) the price was steep...2) corner pins seemed trite and 3) way too thick, looks really beefing, maybe better mounted on a Raptor....

..that being said i really appreciate your efforts and am still in at a lower price point pending final design.

Thx
I'm tackling all 3 of your points. Price will be a lot more reasonable due to thinning out half the metal (going to be about 2.5mm thick) and also I am removing the corner pins, you're right it did seem a little old fashion.

Will post up renderings soon and adjusted pricing.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2014, 01:04 AM   #103
css008
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw 1m

The 3 finishes offered don't match very well w/ the interior. (personal taste) Are you able to source a metal more along the lines of the limited edition uk badge? Or even smtg. that matches the silver finish of the ignition ring and iDrive knob so the plaque looks more OEM.

Thx for all your efforts and count me in!
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2014, 10:09 AM   #104
arvinz
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Guys,

I've got some really good news. I've re-modelled the plaque to remove excess metal that was just making it thicker and it's brought down the price substantially.

Below are the new designs. I took suggestions from some people and removed the corner pins and I've thinned it out as much as possible. 2.5mm thick is the smallest I can go.

You will still be have two options: engraved or raised lettering. The size overall is smaller by about 3mm width as well. You will also still have the 3 finishes for options. Unfortunately I cannot color match to the plastic knobs or the ring around the start button. Stainless steel varies quite a lot from sample to sample so I can't guarantee a perfect match even if I could.

If you really need to match, I suggest take the plaque to a local shop and have them do it or grab a can of spray and try it yourself. These puppies are very durable and will last you a long time!

New price is $60 shipped

Appreciate 0
      10-29-2014, 12:44 PM   #105
EldRick
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

So are these still customizable as to content, i.e., could mine say "161 of 740"? And not have the serial number?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2014, 12:53 PM   #106
arvinz
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by EldRick View Post
So are these still customizable as to content, i.e., could mine say "161 of 740"? And not have the serial number?
Yes, definitely. That's the most important feature. I'm literally custom modelling each person's plaque to their spec. You can put anything you want.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2014, 05:00 PM   #107
css008
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw 1m

Do you have any finish option that looks more like the renders you have shown?

(The 3 actual metals you have shown have a rustic look which really doesn't match)
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2014, 10:01 PM   #108
Rikx1M
MSgt (ret)
Germany
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #739/740

Garage List
nice...do we pay through paypal? Where do we send our requests for the engraving?
      10-29-2014, 11:31 PM   #109
arvinz
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikx1M View Post
nice...do we pay through paypal? Where do we send our requests for the engraving?
Yep, PayPal is arvinz@live.com and you can email me your options at same address: arvinz@live.com

Last edited by arvinz; 10-30-2014 at 12:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2014, 06:36 PM   #110
arvinz
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Guys, those on the interest list, I'm taking orders for this now. Shoot me a PM or email me.
Appreciate 0