E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Static from the AUX/iPod audio connector

06-01-2006, 11:10 AM   #1
brian32e
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 Alpine White 330i ZSP

Static from the AUX/iPod audio connector

Has anyone else noticed static or hollow sound coming from the AUX input when you hook up your iPod? I think maybe my AUX connector has a poor connection because if I wiggle the plug around the audio gets better and worse. Ultimately I can get it to sit just right, close the compartment and it will stay "good" but I think I need to get the dealer to look at this.

I guess what I'm asking you guys is, if you wiggle/touch your 3.5mm connector in the AUX input while the iPod is playing, do you get any distortion/static/dropout?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2006, 05:13 PM   #2
GG_The_Fly
U2Fanatic
Rep
Drives: e90 330xi Jet Black

Garage List
2006 330xi  [0.00]
I haven't tried jiggling the connector, but i definitely notice some static, esp when i turn up the volume. This is one of the reasons i am considering the "official" ipod connector - hoping that that will reduce/eliminate the static of using the aux input.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2006, 11:15 PM   #3
Yobyot
Major
Rep
Drives: MY19 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian32e
Has anyone else noticed static or hollow sound coming from the AUX input when you hook up your iPod? I think maybe my AUX connector has a poor connection because if I wiggle the plug around the audio gets better and worse. Ultimately I can get it to sit just right, close the compartment and it will stay "good" but I think I need to get the dealer to look at this.

I guess what I'm asking you guys is, if you wiggle/touch your 3.5mm connector in the AUX input while the iPod is playing, do you get any distortion/static/dropout?
I'm using the Belkin charger/connector and the oddest thing happens. When the car is in radio readiness and the system is set to Aux (I have iDrive and Logic7), there's a howl in the system. The instant I turn the ignition on (and/or start the car), the howl disappears.

IOW, the system is absolutely silent when the car is running and unlistenable when the car is off.

I replaced the Belkin this with another unit; it did the same thing. It's a shame since this is such an excellent, easy way to charge an iPod and play it through the Aux in port.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2006, 11:55 PM   #4
brian32e
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 Alpine White 330i ZSP

Update on this -- my friend has a 330i also and I tried out his connector and cable w/ my iPod. No problems.

I borrowed his aux cable (much nicer than my POS radio shack crap) and problem seems to be gone
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2006, 12:41 PM   #5
LarryK1000
Larry from Los Angeles
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

I just tried my new Video iPod in the 330 I got yesterday and it must be the cables, because mine has no static or buzz and sounds great. I had to crank it up pretty high to keep the vol setting about the same as the radio, sat, etc., but it sounds really good.

So, just get a good cable. And, don't say bad things about Radio Shack. I'm a shareholder and their stuff is just fine. You just got a bad one. Take it back and try another.

Good luck and enjoy.

L
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2006, 12:58 PM   #6
Brunotheboxer
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500.

no problems here. mine is fine.

"...I maybe drunk, but you're ugly, and I can sober up..."
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2006, 08:53 AM   #7
GG_The_Fly
U2Fanatic
Rep
Drives: e90 330xi Jet Black

Garage List
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Maybe i'm hyperaware, but i definitely notice some background noise and i'm using all monster products. . . don't think it's the cable, but I could try changing it.
Appreciate 0