E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Pothole strike! Am I okay?

04-04-2006, 09:37 AM   #1
FastAttackNick
My other ride gets 2000 nm to the neutron...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i Sport

Pothole strike! Am I okay?

Question for the august body: Last night I hit a pretty good size pothole in VA Beach (didn't see anything in the heavy rain). I think was lucky - I hit it straight on, and the wheel was straight. I checked the rims, no chips or anything. The only noise was a thud when the tire hit it, and no noticeable alignment problem. My question, was I lucky? Is there anything else I should check to make sure? - new car and I'm paranoid. I hit the thing at about 45 mph... ugh...

330i / Premium, Sport, and Cold Weather Packages

Appreciate 0
      04-04-2006, 10:31 AM   #2
CMD
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastAttackNick
Question for the august body: Last night I hit a pretty good size pothole in VA Beach (didn't see anything in the heavy rain). I think was lucky - I hit it straight on, and the wheel was straight. I checked the rims, no chips or anything. The only noise was a thud when the tire hit it, and no noticeable alignment problem. My question, was I lucky? Is there anything else I should check to make sure? - new car and I'm paranoid. I hit the thing at about 45 mph... ugh...
This has happened to me and it concerned me too. Unless you can feel anything different in the steering wheel you are *probably* okay, IMO. I was in an unfamiliar suburb of Los Angeles a month or so ago, misjudged a curb and slammed my right front wheel into the curb. It scratched the rim, but other than that I can feel absolutely no difference in my steering. I'm confident that, in my car at least, that nothing further was damaged. Whew! I think you're okay, bro.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2006, 10:53 AM   #3
Chuck_IV
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
We had this happen on the Tapanzee Bridge, this past weekend. We were in the lefthand lane, going north and right at the crest of the bridge... WHAM! The whole seam of the bridge was like a pothole. I thought I lost a filling. Nothing seems wrong with the car but WOW that rocked rocked us pretty badly.

This doesn't handle bumps all that well, especially with the stiff sidewalls of the runflat. Actually, thinking about it, the stiffer sidewalls of the runflats may have actually helped protect the rims.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2006, 10:57 AM   #4
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: superstock

Check very carefully the sidewall. If there is a bump in it, you shredded the inside of the sidewall and your tire is in danger of a blowout (replace tire). If not then you were indeed lucky.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2006, 11:10 AM   #5
FastAttackNick
My other ride gets 2000 nm to the neutron...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i Sport

I appreciate the responses - I checked the tire and the rim and there is no surface damage. I'll keep on the lookout for any alignment issues. Like driving on the moon down here this time of year - I spend most of my commute in a constant wince.

330i / Premium, Sport, and Cold Weather Packages

Appreciate 0
      04-04-2006, 11:20 AM   #6
Major
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 745li / cls 55

dont worry mate, this things are quite frugal
      04-04-2006, 11:21 AM   #7
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: superstock

I hear you, in Montreal, I had the same thing happen to me but I actually had sidewall damage-had the change an otherwise perfectly good brand-new winter tire.

Toddlers can disappear for weeks in some of our potholes.
Appreciate 0