Thanks for the link!
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 06:06 AM   #4
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Einser Rex

Quite a mixed bag in there. I agree with a lot of those but Golf R?

It's a great car and something I was actually planning to buy at one point, but it's not a limited edition or particularly impressive car for the price and peer group.
The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 08:42 AM   #5
MusclezMarinara
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: VALNCYA

Garage List
And people wonder whyI dont drive my 1M
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 08:51 AM   #6
Oaktree
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 - 2010 M3 - 1999 M3

Don't ever mix a hobby and an investment. The two do not pair well.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 03:10 PM   #7
nebby
SoCal 1M
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M Audi A8L

Quote:
Originally Posted by b33g33 View Post
Quite a mixed bag in there. I agree with a lot of those but Golf R?

It's a great car and something I was actually planning to buy at one point, but it's not a limited edition or particularly impressive car for the price and peer group.
I come from the VW R32 and Golf R world... and while it's not as limited as the 1M, there are only 5,000 made every four years.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 03:16 PM   #8
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebby View Post
I come from the VW R32 and Golf R world... and while it's not as limited as the 1M, there are only 5,000 made every four years.
No need to justify the R32....Awesome car. People have to understand that rarity doesn't guarantee "Classic" .

Pontiac Aztecs are rare....you want one?

Mustangs were made my the millions....classic now. A bunch of M3s were made between 2008 and 2011.5.

Each one has something special that hits with a generation. If you like VWs, R32 is the best VW for car enthusiasts.

While I proudly own a 1M, my wife has a regular GTI and it was half the price and a fantastic, fun, attractive and comfortable kid and grocery hauler.

So gentlemen, get over the low numbers = instant classic. It's more than that. If you don't agree I have a Classic 1989 Yugo for sale. : )
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 04:39 PM   #9
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
No need to justify the R32....Awesome car. People have to understand that rarity doesn't guarantee "Classic" .

Pontiac Aztecs are rare....you want one?

Mustangs were made my the millions....classic now. A bunch of M3s were made between 2008 and 2011.5.

Each one has something special that hits with a generation. If you like VWs, R32 is the best VW for car enthusiasts.

While I proudly own a 1M, my wife has a regular GTI and it was half the price and a fantastic, fun, attractive and comfortable kid and grocery hauler.

So gentlemen, get over the low numbers = instant classic. It's more than that. If you don't agree I have a Classic 1989 Yugo for sale. : )

I actually said: "but it's not a limited edition or particularly impressive car for the price and peer group."

So, I'm not sure why you both are fixating on the limited edition piece only.

It's in the same peer group (price/performance) as the WRX STi and EVO.

Also, I could care less about collectibility. I'm buying the car to drive, not mothball.

You're the one who started the thread about classics.
The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 04:58 PM   #10
nebby
SoCal 1M
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M Audi A8L

Quote:
I actually said: "but it's not a limited edition or particularly impressive car for the price and peer group."

So, I'm not sure why you both are fixating on the limited edition piece only.
I'm not fixating on anything... just wanted to get the facts out there.

And when you say "or", it allows people to comment on 1 of the two statements you made... doesn't require qualifying the first with the second.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 05:54 PM   #11
superchargedman
Captain
Rep
Drives: The ///Mbulance: 1M AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaktree View Post
Don't ever mix a hobby and an investment. The two do not pair well.
Unless it's hookers and blow.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 06:49 PM   #12
sergeremi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1 Series M Coupe

^^^ +1

Quote:
So gentlemen, get over the low numbers = instant classic. It's more than that.
TRUTH.
      10-24-2011, 07:05 PM   #13
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebby View Post
I'm not fixating on anything... just wanted to get the facts out there.

And when you say "or", it allows people to comment on 1 of the two statements you made... doesn't require qualifying the first with the second.
I'll say this and drop it.

This isn't programming 101. Typically, when people comment on only one part of an or statement it's because addressing the other one isn't as conducive to their argument.

I'm not denigrating the VW R. As you would have seen from my post this was actually on my short list of cars to buy this year. Unfortunately, VW USA dragged their heels for over 2 years before finally committing to bringing it over in 2012 and I lost patience.

Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 11:44 PM   #14
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'll say this and drop it.

This isn't programming 101. Typically, when people comment on only one part of an or statement it's because addressing the other one isn't as conducive to their argument.

I'm not denigrating the VW R. As you would have seen from my post this was actually on my short list of cars to buy this year. Unfortunately, VW USA dragged their heels for over 2 years before finally committing to bringing it over in 2012 and I lost patience.
B33, I apologize if you took it directly, it was not intended that way. It was after months of a lot of people equating the short numbers with instant classic. So in my mind it was not directed at your comment, just the concept in general that low numbers equate into classic. I can see by the thread how you took it as hyper-focusing on that aspect. It really was a general statement to something common I hear about the 1M.

As far as me posting it. I made no comment and had no preconception, I just found it and wanted to share the find. I made no comments on the original post.

Finally, on the R32. It is a really cool ride. I didn't think you denigrated it, all I said to the poster that appeared to be defending the R32, that there was no need to defend it. It is a really cool ride for it's genre. For guys the grew up with VWs, it is the peak of the VW GTI family and sounds amazing.

I don't know if it will become a classic, but I don't know that about the M3 either. As much as I like the V8 I had the choice and went with 1M. To me the M3 as good as it is, was the catalyst for the 1M. It is the very reason that ///M finally listened to a lot of us that felt the car had gotten away from it's core.

Finally, the forum is about sharing opinions and all our opinions are noted and I do extend my apology again if my statement about low number not making a car an instant classic felt to that they were directed at you.

Hope that helps.

Finally, lets turn this around from "I don't think this will be a classic" to what do you think will be a classic and why?

Here is my list of recent cars that I think will be classics in no order:

1. Honda S2000 Club Racer - Last year made of a true driver's car.

2. New M5 with manual gearbox. They are going away and this might be the last M5 with a manual.

3. BMW Z4 Coupe / M Coupe - Stunning side profile will age well, few made llooks great in any color..blue, white, silver, charcoal, red...

4. Any 5.0L Mustang GT - When everyone is driving hybrids, nothing soothes the soul more than the rumble of the Mustang GT 5.0. Next generation will have Ind. Rear Suspension. Solid Axle with a powerful V8 is now a point of pride. It's like walking into a TOFU bar and asking for a 4 lb rare steak.

5. 2007-2008 Audi RS4. The ultimate James Bond mobile. Looks like any plain A4...so subtle yet packs serious punch and sound an any idiot can look good driving it.

6. Challenger 392....See Mustang 5.0 minus solid axle. Hemi and only car left that would still look good with Starsky and Hutch Swoosh!

7. Cayman R - Lime Green. No one will buy the lime green so when production ends there will only be 5 lime green Cayman Rs in the US so in this case rarity might matter.

8. 2006 M3 Competition Package sunroof delete ...nothing more needs to be said.

9 Hyundai Genesis Coupe - 240 SX of the day. Front engine, rear drive, edgy looks, Brembos. It will grow on people, price is right and when everyone is driving front drive cars in the future, it will be a cult classic. IMO.

10. BMW 1M - Funky car that so many struggled to get, BMW struggled to make it, so many struggle to define it. It's a car that reminds you of those pumped up Hot Wheels or Tuner Die Cast cars. It's not pretty some can say buttface, whatever but you can't ignore it...the 1M is like Philip Seymour Hoffman....you look at him and say..how can this buy be a leading man...not great looking, pudgy but you can't ignore the guy....you can call him whatever you want critique the look, the hair but when it matters he delivers.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 11:58 PM   #15
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealobo View Post
Thanks for the link!
Thank you, just trying to share the finds, glad you appreciated it.

: )
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2011, 06:03 AM   #16
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
B33, I apologize if you took it directly, it was not intended that way. It was after months of a lot of people equating the short numbers with instant classic. So in my mind it was not directed at your comment, just the concept in general that low numbers equate into classic. I can see by the thread how you took it as hyper-focusing on that aspect. It really was a general statement to something common I hear about the 1M.

As far as me posting it. I made no comment and had no preconception, I just found it and wanted to share the find. I made no comments on the original post.

Finally, on the R32. It is a really cool ride. I didn't think you denigrated it, all I said to the poster that appeared to be defending the R32, that there was no need to defend it. It is a really cool ride for it's genre. For guys the grew up with VWs, it is the peak of the VW GTI family and sounds amazing.

I don't know if it will become a classic, but I don't know that about the M3 either. As much as I like the V8 I had the choice and went with 1M. To me the M3 as good as it is, was the catalyst for the 1M. It is the very reason that ///M finally listened to a lot of us that felt the car had gotten away from it's core.

Finally, the forum is about sharing opinions and all our opinions are noted and I do extend my apology again if my statement about low number not making a car an instant classic felt to that they were directed at you.

Hope that helps.
No need to apologize my friend. I think I over-reacted.

I had just gotten out of a somewhat contentious conference call at work and probably had some pent up frustration to type out!

Back to the regularly scheduled program.

Appreciate 0
      10-25-2011, 08:05 AM   #17
elbweb
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M4

Garage List
Not to open it up again, but, also coming from the Golf R I am very glad to see it on this list.

I think the real reason it'll become a 'classic' has to do with it's following. It is a 'limited' car, but has a huge following of very vocal/happy people. Not to mention it is a great car to drive.

The only thing required to make a car a classic is people wanting it and it being hard to find. If no one wants it, no one cares. If anyone can have one, no one cars. To me, the Golf R (along with the 1M) both sit in that group nicely.
      10-25-2011, 08:09 AM   #18
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep

I test drove the R32 multiple times and found it to be a tad nose heavy compared to my modded B5 A4. It was still touch-and-go though and the final decision not to buy was more of a financial one (just bought a new house, etc.)

With an APR Stage II kit on the A4, weight, power are comparable.

The sound of that VR6 though!

Appreciate 0
      10-25-2011, 10:37 AM   #19
AM1N
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusclezMarinara View Post
And people wonder whyI dont drive my 1M

enjoy what you have!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2011, 10:47 AM   #20
Maximus_Prime
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 1M, '12 Q5 2.0T, '06 Miata

Garage List
As far as qualifying as a "classic" I think it's important to consider the significance of the 1M in the M-car lineage and in BMW's history. If what I've read is true, then the 1M is the first turbocharged M coupe, and its release signifies an important paradigm shift in the M-car philosophy.

Therefore, I see the 1M as a "proof of concept" for future M cars. It represents an important turning point in the M-car lineage. The 1M is the herald of the new age of M-cars with turbocharged engines and massive amounts of torque. We can already see this new philosophy embodied in the new M5 and in the rumors of the upcoming M3/M4.

In my opinion, this historical significance is the true qualification for the 1M as a modern classic. The fact that it is rare, that it has received almost universally positive reviews, and that it has a great story as a M studio parts-bin car greater than the sum of its parts lends extra weight to that qualification. It also helps that the car has serious personality.

However, I still think that you'll have to keep your 1M pristine for the next 20 years before you'll be able to actually reap any benefits from its significance in BMW's history. In the mean time I expect it'll depreciate like every other car, though maybe a little less than normal.
Appreciate 0