BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-21-2010, 08:28 PM   #1
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

1addicts meet 1er Forum… German road trip!

Hi Guys,

A few days ago Oli (Specter88) PM’d telling me of this little car show and drive thru the Franken country side. Since all these 1er forum guys were coming to my back door – I decided to go at the last minute. I met Oli there. I was not disappointed! We met at this little park platz just off of the A73 autobahn just south of Bamberg. About seventeen cars showed up from all over DE. From there we drove or rather “tore” thru the back roads to the picturesque Fränkische Schweiz area or “Little Swiss” as most Americans call it.

Fränkische Schweiz is a car lovers (& bikers!) paradise. Lots of curvy twisty roads, with lots of cool places to pull over and take in the views. We drove about 100 kilometers thru the Fränkische Schweiz. We ended up out tour at a very well known Bier Keller: Kathi Bräu for a nice Frankische lunch. IF anyone does their ED and is near the Nuernberg area… you really ought to come out and explore the Fränkische Schweiz.

Enjoy the cars, bikes and beer!
Dackelone

Reuter Motorsports exhaust…

Oli’s e82 120d…

Oli has a good sense of humor!

CF overlays...

Ich bin Franke. Danke!

My feeble attempt at a self portrait!

Only HAND wash!

Moving out!

Blasting down the BundesStrasse…

Our first stop to let everyone catch up with us. We took over a small grocery chain’s parking lot!

A really sweet 123d I think? I know it was one fast diesel! And it had all of the performance goodies!

BMW CF performance mirror caps on the 2010 dumbo ears…

Wide angle euro mirrors…

A 320i cab… silver stripe and silver mirrors and M//!!!!

What a ROAD!!!!!!!!!!

One of our rest breaks…

Another stop…

Detour…

Lost…

Cutting thru a farmer’s paved road…

Lost again… who cares!

Almost there to Kathi Bräu…

Arrived at Kathi Bräu…

This place is VERY popular with the biker crowd…

And some BMW bikes…

Beer tent and restaurant…

We weren’t the only ones lost!

A nice German Bier…

My ONE…

The King and his ONE…

Leaving Kathi Bräu

Refueling pit stop…

Some of the locals thought the gas prices must be good for all these cars to line up!

M// badge...

Not your average German home garage!

The End.

Fränkische Schweiz

http://www.fraenkische-schweiz.com/bilderbogen/en.html

Kathi Bräu

http://www.noettling.de/treffs/kathi/index.htm

More of my photos here:

http://s764.photobucket.com/albums/x...ts%201addicts/

Last edited by Dackelone; 08-22-2010 at 05:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2010, 09:16 PM   #2
Haagen-Dazs
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Apollo 13

Great pics, but you got 3 things wrong. 1. The blue 1S coupe is, i think, a 123d because it's got the rear calipers in yellow, and you only get those on the 123d and 135i (unless he painted them). 2. You said 120i and it's, i gues (about the engine) 320i. 3. You should have taken more pictures of the silver 1 series :P Other then that, it's great! I hope to go to the wring some day
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2010, 09:45 PM   #3
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi A4

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Good god roads like that are completely fucking non-existent in the states...

Its nothing but traffic lights, traffic jams, shitty roads, potholes and moronic drivers round here

Envious am I
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2010, 09:59 PM   #4
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: IS 300

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by thez99 View Post

Its nothing but traffic lights, traffic jams, shitty roads, potholes and moronic drivers round here

Envious am I
Come to FL or Cali.... There are some great open roads.. But I gotta say There are some really bad drivers in FL...

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2010, 10:02 PM   #5
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Ya i might like to visit certain areas of FL for a vacation (if I ever get one) but Id have no desire to live there. Im moving to NC bout 2 hours from the coast early next year, im expecting the roads down there to be a bit better.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2010, 10:19 PM   #6
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: IS 300

Garage List
Quote:
Ya i might like to visit certain areas of FL for a vacation (if I ever get one) but Id have no desire to live there. Im moving to NC bout 2 hours from the coast early next year, im expecting the roads down there to be a bit better.
They will be trust me... I lived in Doylestown PA my whole life...

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2010, 11:07 PM   #7
SchlauCow
Rep
Drives: Honda M6

Good pics, Dack. I hope to get out there with ya'll sometime before the snow!
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2010, 11:44 PM   #8
ianc
Ex '87 Carrera
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 TiAg 6MT 135i

Great pics as usual David, really enjoyed them! Especially liked the 'king's' white hatch. Envious of course as usual... Starting to rethink your decision to come back stateside yet?

Quote:
Come to FL or Cali.... There are some great open roads.
Depends on where you are. I live in the bay area and when I came home on Fri, it took me two hours to drive the 60 miles; I was ready to break something when I got home. We have more than our share of morons here and likely will as long as we keep letting people fail the driving test 5x in one day before patting them on the back and telling them to try again next week...

ianc

"I got 328 loaner and was impressed with performance. It feels much faster than my 135i." - MOCKBA
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2010, 05:00 AM   #9
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haagen-Dazs View Post
Great pics, but you got 3 things wrong. 1. The blue 1S coupe is, i think, a 123d because it's got the rear calipers in yellow, and you only get those on the 123d and 135i (unless he painted them). 2. You said 120i and it's, i gues (about the engine) 320i. 3. You should have taken more pictures of the silver 1 series :P Other then that, it's great! I hope to go to the wring some day
Ok, I made some corrections. Thanks. It was late last night when I wrote that stuff. The reason I did not take more pics of the silver 135i is bc that is MY car! lol

And Oh.... not wring but 'Ring!

This area, the Fränkische Schweiz is near Nuernberg, just North of Munich! The Fränkische Schweiz is only 20 minutes from my house! Nuernberg was where Hitler wanted as his new capital and it was bombed like crazy.

Nuerburgring is West of Frankfurt and is three and half hours away from here, BA! The 'Ring is near Mayen on the map. A lot of people confuse these two cities.

Here is one more pic of my car... next to some fire wood for sale! I was just driving around and saw that sight!

Appreciate 0
      08-22-2010, 05:03 AM   #10
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Here is a short video of the twisty roads...

Oli and I kind of forgot to make a video bc we were having so much fun driving thru the curves.

I am not sure what I am doing wrong for the YouTube embed link. I cut & paste the embeded link into the U2B /U2B

<iframe class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="385" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_ZrEo8wID-Y?hl=en_US" frameborder="0"></iframe>

What am I doing wrong?

Last edited by Dackelone; 08-26-2010 at 05:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2010, 11:04 AM   #11
KTS1010
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Man that seems like one hell of an awsome experience.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2010, 12:32 PM   #12
Haagen-Dazs
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Apollo 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Ok, I made some corrections. Thanks. It was late last night when I wrote that stuff. The reason I did not take more pics of the silver 135i is bc that is MY car! lol

And Oh.... not wring but 'Ring!

This area, the Fränkische Schweiz is near Nuernberg, just North of Munich! The Fränkische Schweiz is only 20 minutes from my house! Nuernberg was where Hitler wanted as his new capital and it was bombed like crazy.

Nuerburgring is West of Frankfurt and is three and half hours away from here, BA! The 'Ring is near Mayen on the map. A lot of people confuse these two cities.

Here is one more pic of my car... next to some fire wood for sale! I was just driving around and saw that sight!

That doesn't explain it! are you that unhappy with your car that you don't even want to take pictures of it? (just kidding) It was preaty late, and i was pretty sleepy and wring felt more right then ring lol. Great pictures!

Last edited by Haagen-Dazs; 08-22-2010 at 05:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2010, 03:14 PM   #13
///M///M Good
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: people nuts

Quote:

Envious am I
Not true, you just need to go to the country in the north. I grew up in upstate New York in a very rural area. The roads looked EXACTLY like that. I suspect that if you ventured to the right parts of PA where you also have rural, hilly areas, you could find the same thing.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2010, 03:29 PM   #14
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M///M Good View Post
Not true, you just need to go to the country in the north. I grew up in upstate New York in a very rural area. The roads looked EXACTLY like that. I suspect that if you ventured to the right parts of PA where you also have rural, hilly areas, you could find the same thing.
Theres a few decent areas but much fewer n far between. Whereas it seems out in Germany, italy, france, etc. other than the inner city areas its nothing but wide open sexy smooth back roads n mountain passes, where u dont hafta driive hours out of the way just for a good drive.

That and theres the autobahn
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2010, 03:42 PM   #15
Elsabor67
aiming for 450.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: Totaled :-(

Garage List
2009 135i  [10.00]
Dack, if I would have known I would have definetly been there with you guys!!!!!! Great pics and gorgeous scenery. Do you know if there is another one planned in the future?
      08-22-2010, 04:06 PM   #16
comar1979
130i Treiber
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW 130i

Garage List
HeyHo,

nice Pics!

Some of the Cars look pretty familiar to me

Did you allready sign up at 1erforum?

Greetz

Marco
# BMW 130i /// + SPARCO Assetto Gara 8x18 bronze + KW + PP SteeringWheel II +PP Exhaust +PP Kidneys + PP AirFilter + PP Style Flaps + PP SS Kit + AC-Schnitzer Gear Knob + MorVision Diffusor + LCI Blacklines high + GroundZero-Audio #
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2010, 04:23 PM   #17
Imola.ZHP
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW i3 BEV EE

I want a 1er hatch for a DD so fcking bad...

- 2014 CPO i01 BEV Electronaut Edition Capparis White Tera World, '17-
- 2015 CPO i01 BEV Laurel Grey Tera World, '17-
- 2015 i01 REx Laurel Grey Tera World, '15-'17
- 2003 CPO 330i ZHP Imola Red Build 03/03/03, '06-'15
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2010, 04:27 PM   #18
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by comar1979 View Post
HeyHo,

nice Pics!

Some of the Cars look pretty familiar to me

Did you allready sign up at 1erforum?

Greetz

Marco
No, not yet. I do drop by there - from time to time. I really am not as fluent in German as I would like to be!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsabor67 View Post
Dack, if I would have known I would have definetly been there with you guys!!!!!! Great pics and gorgeous scenery. Do you know if there is another one planned in the future?
Sorry, man. I found out kind of last minute myself.

I think we should plan on a dual meeting ourselves. Maybe something for late September or October? When the leaves are starting to turn color. ? Somehwere in the Fränkische Schweiz would be great! Maybe a car show or drive again?

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2010, 07:11 PM   #19
wmj73
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp, 440i GC

Garage List
2008   [0.00]
2020 BMW M2 Comp  [0.00]
Great pics, what an AWESOME turnout!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2010, 10:33 PM   #20
OwnAge
Gourik
Canada
Rep
Drives: soon

Garage List
2009 328i  [8.90]
Nice rides, nice shots.
      08-23-2010, 04:29 AM   #21
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianc View Post

Depends on where you are. I live in the bay area and when I came home on Fri, it took me two hours to drive the 60 miles; I was ready to break something when I got home. We have more than our share of morons here and likely will as long as we keep letting people fail the driving test 5x in one day before patting them on the back and telling them to try again next week...

ianc
The road sover here are REALLY GOOD. Nothing like the paved "trails" we call roads back in the states. When you drive in Chech or Italy... there the roads start to look as bad as the highways in the states. But Germany is on a whole new level. The autobahns are a glass smooth - a race track for everyone... and the back roads (BundesStrasse) are not bad either!

I have to laugh about Ian's driving test comment.

Over here in Germany... a drivers lic cost about 1,500 euros. It will take most people 40 hours(I think) of in car driving and paper tests/exams. THEN... once they go for the "test" it is a paper AND driving (in car) test. Fail the test once you must wait 30 days. Fail the test TWICE.... and you must to to a phyc doctor to see why you are so dumb! Really!!! Why would anyone spend good money (the more time you need behind the learners permit car/driving school car) the more it will cost you! So... IF anyone fails the test the first time... they have to pay more and more... for more seat time and more study time. THIS is why you must go to a phyc doctor... bc no one in thier right mind would pay all that money and NOT study or pass thier drivers test!

On base... thru the Army... we also have an American-ized dumb'd down euro test. You need a valid US drivers lic to take it. The test use to be 100 written questions and 50 euro signs that you needed to match up with the answers. There is no road test! Just a paper test.

When I took my test(ten years ago), there were 50 people in that room. All had failed three four seven times!! There was only three of us - who were taking the test for the fist time. Only me and another person passed (two out of the three of us) You can fail the Army driver's test twice... then you have to wait a month... bc they only have TWO tests!!!!

Now... they made the test 50/50. Fifty written questions and fifty signs. The test really wasn't too hard. Just everything ANYONE should know when driving over here.

Last edited by Dackelone; 08-23-2010 at 04:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2010, 08:13 AM   #22
Oulixes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 330xi, 335i

Quote:

Its nothing but traffic lights, traffic jams, shitty roads, potholes and moronic drivers round here...
+1, it is good to see a place where one needs not to fear driving on alloy rims, and can share the road with motorbikes.
Appreciate 0