BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-21-2012, 01:57 PM   #1
hybris4u
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 1-serie M Coupé and BMW X5

Bang when accelerating

Today when I did accelerate hard in MDM mode there was a bang that seemed to come from the right side (outside). Really sounded like something would be broken. The car was having a bit hard to find grip due to the loads of torque. Noting but the "bang".

No issues later on. Did seemed to be ok. No sounds or issues. But still don't fell 100% comfortable with it.

Any clues? Not an expert in those matters I admit. Grateful for any ideas from more experienced members.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 02:13 PM   #2
Grey Dove
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Sold for a reptile

I'm not sure if your in the mood for a joke but .......

Maybe you where passing the soundbarrier.....
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 02:19 PM   #3
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Golf R

I'd send a diff fluid sample to Blackstone Labs.
      04-21-2012, 02:26 PM   #4
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

yea... maybe you want to check your diff fluid level with your dealer. LSD have gone bad on the M3's.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 02:31 PM   #5
hybris4u
Captain
Rep

It was on the first gear - second gear. Did not rev to high.

Anything to be worried about as the car seems to be have no issue after? I will take the advice to check the diff fluid level.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 03:43 PM   #6
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

charge pipe?

Neil
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 08:46 PM   #7
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Golf R

Neil would know. The charge pipe on his M1 flys off every time he shifts to. 2nd!
      04-21-2012, 08:55 PM   #8
superchargedman
Captain
Rep
Drives: The ///Mbulance: 1M AW

Are you sure it's not just the exhaust pop when you shift?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 09:31 PM   #9
Pete_vB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '69 GT3, GT4, 1M, 912

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybris4u View Post
Today when I did accelerate hard in MDM mode there was a bang that seemed to come from the right side (outside). Really sounded like something would be broken. The car was having a bit hard to find grip due to the loads of torque. Noting but the "bang".

No issues later on. Did seemed to be ok. No sounds or issues. But still don't fell 100% comfortable with it.

Any clues? Not an expert in those matters I admit. Grateful for any ideas from more experienced members.
I've had she same thing happen to me more than once, also right hand side, also in hard acceleration, first or second, on uneven pavement, DSC off. I have looked and have yet to find the cause, but it didn't sound good...
      04-21-2012, 10:52 PM   #10
sl00se
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M / BSM 1M / AW E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_vB View Post
I've had she same thing happen to me more than once, also right hand side, also in hard acceleration, first or second, on uneven pavement, DSC off. I have looked and have yet to find the cause, but it didn't sound good...
I had the same experience one single time under similar conditions... Sounded horrible but never found anything upon stopping to check it out.

Hasn't happened again and hopefully it will not.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2012, 01:43 AM   #11
hybris4u
Captain
Rep

Good to hear that Im not alone. I will mention it to my dealer that is still looking for the solution to the BMW Apps / Media adapter.

Many thanks for all input so far!

On my Alpina B3 3.3 from 1999 the undercarriage actually got a crack. It was starting to come loose. That was in the back. There was an issue with tuned E46 or E46 that where pulling like caravans and stuff. That issue was solved around the M3 E46 time. I got it fixed on warranty as it was a well know issue. Don't want that kind of issue again. Don't see any relation with this thread but its always on my mind.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2012, 11:29 AM   #12
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

If OP experienced the sound as disturbing/abnormal (seems to be the case when reading his post), he should get it checked by his dealership.

Even if nothing abnormal is found, a potential hazard (risk of non-visible structural damage to some mechanical part) got at least reported regarding his 1M. Needless to say that it's always important to get an issue documented just in case something bad happens in the future.

No-one wants some mechanical piece to break down when driving at high speed. Not only for yourself, but also for the other road users (remember the Massa-Barrichello F1 incident in the Summer of 2009: a spring of the rear suspension of Ruben Barrichello's F1 race car unexpectedly came off and hit Felipe Massa's helmet during the qualification for the Hungarian F1 race).

Better safe than sorry, so IMHO a visit to the dealership is worth the effort.
      04-22-2012, 05:17 PM   #13
LeifW
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1M AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post
charge pipe?

Neil
How would one check the charge pipe?

Leif W
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2012, 08:48 PM   #14
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeifW View Post
How would one check the charge pipe?

Leif W
Charge pipe fits over flange on intake manifold with a large C-clip. Simply take a look.

However, chances are you'd have a check engine light if it popped off.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2012, 09:35 PM   #15
LeifW
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1M AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post
Charge pipe fits over flange on intake manifold with a large C-clip. Simply take a look.

However, chances are you'd have a check engine light if it popped off.

Neil
Ah, okay. Thanks.

Even though I don't have any check engine lights, I'll still check for piece of mind. As others have stated, I had the big bang happen. It was only one time. All electronic nannies were active though. I was accelerating hard on a slightly uneven surface.

Leif W.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2012, 09:43 PM   #16
FIRSTM
Buck Sgt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

one of my friend also heard it when he was sitting on the passenger side and he thought it was a rock or debris hitting the car, he heard it happen again a mile later. So I drove with the music off and try to listen for the same noise and heard it one time. It is as you describe, will try to check the undercarriage and the diff fluid later.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2012, 09:48 PM   #17
FIRSTM
Buck Sgt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

I think 1M owner need to give this a try for a few days, drive regularly but with no music and focus to see if you hear that distinctive sound.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2012, 10:09 PM   #18
Pete_vB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '69 GT3, GT4, 1M, 912

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRSTM View Post
one of my friend also heard it when he was sitting on the passenger side and he thought it was a rock or debris hitting the car, he heard it happen again a mile later. So I drove with the music off and try to listen for the same noise and heard it one time. It is as you describe, will try to check the undercarriage and the diff fluid later.
The noise I am referring to is loud. It sounds almost is if something broke, or something hit the car. No need to have the music off to hear it.

Definitely not the charge pipe.
      04-23-2012, 10:57 AM   #19
hybris4u
Captain
Rep

I was at my dealer today. One of the technicians that are good on driveline etc did take the car for a ride with me. He tried different things and the conclusion was that its in perfect shape with no issues. He thought that the sound could be due acceleration on rough surface and that the wheel did spin freely and then came down on the surface. He said they had similar experiences with other cars and its actually plausible. I did check the asphalt where I did accelerate and its actually a bit rough so this might actually be the case... So nothing to worry according to him. They did note this in the cars log just incase.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 11:34 AM   #20
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

You know for us 135i guys... our cars make a loud(one time) BANG noise from the passenger side of the dashboard. I seem to notice this sound more in the winter time. It always happens when teh car has been sitting for awhile and then you take it out for a drive. The noise happens within 1km of driving usually.

Someone said once thier noise went away after having their windshield replaced. I've had mine replaced twice. So far after the 2nd(or rather 3rd) windshield... I have not heard that noise. My noise sounds like someone hit the firewall or under the dash with a metal hammer on metal part. Just FYI guys.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 11:43 AM   #21
EmmDrei
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2011 Saphire Black 1M Coupé

For noises like that, my first guess would be "exhaust". Hard acceleration has everything moving... enginge, gearbox and the exhaust system. I would guess that something there bangs against something else. Lift the car and see and hear if the exhaust can be made to move far enough to touch something solid, i.e. the diff, etc. If so, then look for scratch marks and you have the "culprit". If you see an engine move under load in an engine bay, then it is not surprising that you have these types of sounds under extreme conditions. I have not heard any similar noises so far, but I almost always short shift in first, simply because anything else is just senseless stress on all possible parts of the car.
      04-23-2012, 02:05 PM   #22
hybris4u
Captain
Rep

I have tried accelerating really hard, braking, provoking the car a lot but not a single sound from the driveline etc. So the BMW technicians thought that I did accelerate hard and that part of the wheel probably got airborne and then when hit the ground made the sound as that put a lot of force down. I did notice the rough surface and small bumps at the place I did accelerate so it sound like a probable cause. The technician is the expert on M-cars at my dealership and seemed to know his thing. He said my car was in perfect shape and no sounds from anything. (he did try different stuff at different surfaces with me)
Appreciate 0