BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-06-2013, 05:32 AM   #1
comar1979
130i Treiber
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW 130i

Garage List
Question Do US Spec Hankooks got a ECE Sign?

Since nobody answered @ the Tire Section... Maybe a User here ordered a Pair of Hankooks over Tirerack and would take a look at their Tires if they got the E / ECE Sign. That would help me a lot! Thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by comar1979 View Post
Hey Folks!

I need your help --> . I wanna buy a Set of Hankook V12´s via Tirerack. The Problem is, i live in Germany an every Tire need´s an ECE Sign (otherwise they are not StreetLegal and i loose my Insurance). German Spec Hankook´s got this Sign, the question is, do American Hankook´s have those Sign too!?

here are two Pics how the Sign looks like:

It would be great if "international" Hankook Tire User would take a look at their Tires and confirm this.

Thanks and "Greetings from Munich"

# BMW 130i /// + SPARCO Assetto Gara 8x18 bronze + KW + PP SteeringWheel II +PP Exhaust +PP Kidneys + PP AirFilter + PP Style Flaps + PP SS Kit + AC-Schnitzer Gear Knob + MorVision Diffusor + LCI Blacklines high + GroundZero-Audio #
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2013, 01:39 PM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

I don't know Marco. But when visiting a buddy of mine last month back in the states... he was raving about his Conti all season tires on his Audi RS4. When I looked at the sidewall... I had a good laugh.... "made in Czech Republic"!!! So the US Conti Sport Contact 3(?) tires are rebadged "Barum" tires - Conti's (cheaper) sister company!

I think a lot of stuff sold in the US isn't the same as things sold and made in Germany. The product might look the same, but it is not the same product! Sometimes that really cheap US market product - there IS a reason why its cheaper in the US market vs German market. And sometimes not. You just have to be careful when buying things.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2013, 02:00 PM   #3
comar1979
130i Treiber
Germany
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
I don't know Marco. But when visiting a buddy of mine last month back in the states... he was raving about his Conti all season tires on his Audi RS4. When I looked at the sidewall... I had a good laugh.... "made in Czech Republic"!!! So the US Conti Sport Contact 3(?) tires are rebadged "Barum" tires - Conti's (cheaper) sister company!

I think a lot of stuff sold in the US isn't the same as things sold and made in Germany. The product might look the same, but it is not the same product! Sometimes that really cheap US market product - there IS a reason why its cheaper in the US market vs German market. And sometimes not. You just have to be careful when buying things.
I think you are right... I will buy the Rubberduck in Germany
# BMW 130i /// + SPARCO Assetto Gara 8x18 bronze + KW + PP SteeringWheel II +PP Exhaust +PP Kidneys + PP AirFilter + PP Style Flaps + PP SS Kit + AC-Schnitzer Gear Knob + MorVision Diffusor + LCI Blacklines high + GroundZero-Audio #
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2013, 02:51 PM   #4
Elsabor67
aiming for 450.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: Totaled :-(

Garage List
2009 135i  [10.00]
Let me go check my Conti DW's.....BRB.

Edit:

WOW!!!!

Mine are made in MEXICO But don't have that symbol.

Last edited by Elsabor67; 01-06-2013 at 02:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2013, 03:09 PM   #5
comar1979
130i Treiber
Germany
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsabor67 View Post
Let me go check my Conti DW's.....BRB.

Edit:

WOW!!!!

Mine are made in MEXICO But don't have that symbol.
Aye Caramba!

Ok... its done... I buy them in GER
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 04:03 AM   #6
Chamix
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i coupe

Quote:
Since nobody answered @ the Tire Section... Maybe a User here ordered a Pair of Hankooks over Tirerack and would take a look at their Tires if they got the E / ECE Sign. That would help me a lot! Thanks!!

Hey comar,

I hope I'm not too late. I got a set of Hankook V12s by mail last year not from tire rack but some shop in California.
I just checked and they do have the K and E4 symbols like in the image u posted.
BTW, mine are made in Korea!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 04:29 AM   #7
Mr Kleen
teh porcupine
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2020 Tesla 3 LR AWD

Garage List
2013 BMW X1  [10.00]
Just because something is made in Mexico or CZ doesn't automatically mean the quality is bad. A well run company can manufacture good parts in any country.
      01-07-2013, 04:50 AM   #8
maupineda
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4MC

and just fyi, our plants in Mexico have better production quality than those in the EU for some OEM's. ask VW and Ford if you don't believe
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 08:03 AM   #9
Elsabor67
aiming for 450.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: Totaled :-(

Garage List
2009 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kleen View Post
Just because something is made in Mexico or CZ doesn't automatically mean the quality is bad. A well run company can manufacture good parts in any country.
Never said it was a bad product. These are my 3rd set of Conti EC DW's and really wouldn't care where they're made. They are an excellent tire. Just surprised that they were made in Mexico since Continental is a German brand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maupineda View Post
and just fyi, our plants in Mexico have better production quality than those in the EU for some OEM's. ask VW and Ford if you don't believe
Very true. They also have some of the best medical schools in the world. That is where my former brother in law went to finish his medical school at.
      01-07-2013, 10:05 AM   #10
comar1979
130i Treiber
Germany
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamix
Quote:

Hey comar,

I hope I'm not too late. I got a set of Hankook V12s by mail last year not from tire rack but some shop in California.
I just checked and they do have the K and E4 symbols like in the image u posted.
BTW, mine are made in Korea!
Hey!

Thank you for your reply! Good to know, but i buy my next Set in Germany. But with this sign they would be Street legal !

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 11:53 AM   #11
Mr Kleen
teh porcupine
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2020 Tesla 3 LR AWD

Garage List
2013 BMW X1  [10.00]
these were purchased from Tire Rack last summer when I lived in Germany
Attached Images

01-07-2013, 01:55 PM   #12
comar1979
130i Treiber
Germany
Rep

Garage List
Thx for your Info
Appreciate 0