BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-06-2009, 01:16 PM   #1
YearONE1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Starting my audio project today.

Well, I think I know what I am going to do. I just placed an order for an AudioControl LC6i and two SWS-8x (4ohm) subs. Next, I am looking for the best deal I can find for an Alpine PDX-5 amp. My girlfriend works for a company who has a vendor that sells them Alpine products, so I am going to see if she can get me a deal.

I plan to keep the factory components in front and back, and see how they sound with more power pushing them. I really don't have any complaints about them now, but the car has so little low-end, something has to be done. I have the non-logic7 hi-fi, btw.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2009, 02:07 PM   #2
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by YearONE1 View Post
Well, I think I know what I am going to do. I just placed an order for an AudioControl LC6i and two SWS-8x (4ohm) subs. Next, I am looking for the best deal I can find for an Alpine PDX-5 amp. My girlfriend works for a company who has a vendor that sells them Alpine products, so I am going to see if she can get me a deal.

I plan to keep the factory components in front and back, and see how they sound with more power pushing them. I really don't have any complaints about them now, but the car has so little low-end, something has to be done. I have the non-logic7 hi-fi, btw.
That's a much better and suitable set up for your particular application than your previous Cleansweep thread...
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2009, 08:02 PM   #3
YearONE1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I agree. I am really excited about this project. Just bought some dynomat for my sub installs. I will for sure take some pictures as this progresses.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2009, 08:04 PM   #4
YearONE1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

BTW, do you know where I can get a wiring diagram, Technic? I want to try and make the install as easy as possible, so I need to know which wires are which. Ideas?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2009, 09:15 AM   #5
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
BTW, do you know where I can get a wiring diagram, Technic? I want to try and make the install as easy as possible, so I need to know which wires are which. Ideas?
The HiFi system in the 1-Series is exactly the same as the 3-Series: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138949
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2009, 10:19 AM   #6
YearONE1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
The HiFi system in the 1-Series is exactly the same as the 3-Series: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138949
YOU ARE AWESOME! This should make the install a whole bunch easier.

I can't wait for the parts to get here...
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2009, 04:19 AM   #7
strike4A
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i LCI Tanzanite Blue II

You're doing a similar install as me. I've just successfully installed an LC6i and PDX-5 and for the timebeing am running the OEM HiFi speakers. I'm on my second PDX-5 as the first one I bought was faulty.

The levels on the LC6i have to be turned up fairly high as the signal from the HU is not as strong as a speaker level signal which is primarily what the LC6i is designed to accept. Also it may be better to reverse the inputs on the LC6i as normally it will take the signal from the rear inputs and duplicate to create rear and sub outputs (the PDX-5 requires front/rear/sub inputs to work properly). If connected up the standard way and you fade to the front then the subs will be faded out also which you do not want.

The sound is obviously much louder and I'm surprised how well the OEM components stand up to the extra power. The subs though are stretched and can't really cope at anything above mid volume.

I've got a pair of SWS 8x subs ready to go in as well as Focal KRS100 components up front. Just need to find the time to install them...
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2009, 06:07 AM   #8
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by strike4A View Post
You're doing a similar install as me. I've just successfully installed an LC6i and PDX-5 and for the timebeing am running the OEM HiFi speakers. I'm on my second PDX-5 as the first one I bought was faulty.

The levels on the LC6i have to be turned up fairly high as the signal from the HU is not as strong as a speaker level signal which is primarily what the LC6i is designed to accept. Also it may be better to reverse the inputs on the LC6i as normally it will take the signal from the rear inputs and duplicate to create rear and sub outputs (the PDX-5 requires front/rear/sub inputs to work properly). If connected up the standard way and you fade to the front then the subs will be faded out also which you do not want.

The sound is obviously much louder and I'm surprised how well the OEM components stand up to the extra power. The subs though are stretched and can't really cope at anything above mid volume.

I've got a pair of SWS 8x subs ready to go in as well as Focal KRS100 components up front. Just need to find the time to install them...
What OEM system do you have?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2009, 07:13 AM   #9
strike4A
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

The HiFi system. Followed your advice earlier when I was having problems connecting directly to the amp.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2009, 07:25 AM   #10
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Thanks...

Although the LC6i works in this OEM HU/HiFi setup the Matrix is the better device for this application, as the signal that need to be processed is a low level signal (albeit a high voltage signal). So what is really needed is a line driver and not a line converter...
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2009, 08:06 AM   #11
strike4A
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

I thought the LC6i was both a line driver and line converter?

http://www.audiocontrol.com/t34/1761...tegration.html

Either way, it works flawlessly.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2009, 09:39 AM   #12
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by strike4A View Post
I thought the LC6i was both a line driver and line converter?

http://www.audiocontrol.com/t34/1761...tegration.html

Either way, it works flawlessly.
Based on your findings -which are technically correct- the line converter section of the LC6i is attenuating the already low level outputs of the OEM HU. So even that it works as you can adjust the output levels of the LC6i (the line driver section) to compensate for that converter attenuation, the fact is that this converter section is not only non-productive in this application, is actually counter-productive.

The Matrix is a plain line driver -no level converter- so it is perfect for "drive up" a low level signal as it is input, no attenuation anywhere. So it is more efficient in this particular application.

The only benefit of the LC6i over the Matrix is its wire inputs, as the Matrix require RCA plugs. So connection to the OEM HU outputs is straight forward.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2009, 10:30 PM   #13
YearONE1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Interesting stuff, although I can honestly say about half of it is greek to me. The subs will be here tomorrow, so I will be installing them myself. The amp will be here Friday, and I am having a reputable local shop do the wiring/install of LC6i and amp/tuning. These guys have all the mic's and digital media needed to properly tune the system so I figured I would leave that part up to them.

I just hope they will be able to tune the factory component speakers to get all the ranges neccessary. I don't want to have to upgrade to aftermarket mids/highs. I guess only time will tell, and when I hear the car on saturday I will know for sure.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2009, 05:36 AM   #14
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Interesting stuff, although I can honestly say about half of it is greek to me. The subs will be here tomorrow, so I will be installing them myself. The amp will be here Friday, and I am having a reputable local shop do the wiring/install of LC6i and amp/tuning. These guys have all the mic's and digital media needed to properly tune the system so I figured I would leave that part up to them.

I just hope they will be able to tune the factory component speakers to get all the ranges neccessary. I don't want to have to upgrade to aftermarket mids/highs. I guess only time will tell, and when I hear the car on saturday I will know for sure.
You will be fine... until the next upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2009, 06:39 AM   #15
strike4A
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

There's not a lot to tune with just an LC6i and PDX-5. I'm toying with the idea of getting an EQ to go inbetween but will see what the sound is like when the new speakers go in and make a decision after that.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2009, 04:49 PM   #16
YearONE1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Project officially starts today with the arrival of these parts. I have my trusty helper here too...

Appreciate 0
      06-10-2009, 05:44 PM   #17
miro2296
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Montego Blue BMW 135i

NICE! Let us know how it sounds when you get it all installed!
BMW 135i/6 Speed/Montego Blue/Formula One Ceramic Tint/JB4 G4/AA Sport Intercooler/19 inch Iconz 880Z(19X8.5 & 19X10)/PSS 225/35 & 265/30/E93 M3 front sway bar/TRW front and rear Control Arms/BMS Drop In Filter/Dinan Exhaust/BlackLines/Upgraded \\\M RSFB
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2009, 06:02 PM   #18
YearONE1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Well, everything is done and i sounds great! Its wonderful to be able to hear a full range of sounds again, especially the lows. The subs are very cean, yet can be very powerful considering what they are. I had a local shop called Sounds Good To Me install the amp and LC6i and tune the system. They did an amazing job and I love where they put the amp.

The only issue I have at this point is that I can hear a faint (very faint, but the car drives so quiet its easy to hear) static sound coming from all of the speakers, even when the head unit is turned off. My guess is that this is because even with the head unit off, the amp is still switched to on. I noticed that the amp comes on everytime the car 'wakes up' which is pretty much anytime you open a door or do anything that the car can sence. I need to find a correction to this problem, maybe it's as simple as finding a different source for the amp remote cable?

USA '1' #4126 | BSM | Premium Pkg | Sport Pkg | Paddles | Coral Boston Leather | Poplar | Shadow Grille | Shadow Emblem | Breyton GTS-Rs | PDX-5 | GP Thunder 8500k | Eibach Pro-Kit | CF Spoiler
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2009, 08:00 PM   #19
YearONE1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Well, I have verified that the amp remote is the small black cable from the stock wiring harness, which is the OEM remote. It is just strange that I can hear the faint hissing of the speakers whenever the amp is on. I tried looking to see if this was a problem of too much amp gain, but I don't even see an amp gain adjusment on the PDX-5. Hmm.

USA '1' #4126 | BSM | Premium Pkg | Sport Pkg | Paddles | Coral Boston Leather | Poplar | Shadow Grille | Shadow Emblem | Breyton GTS-Rs | PDX-5 | GP Thunder 8500k | Eibach Pro-Kit | CF Spoiler
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2009, 08:31 PM   #20
YearONE1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Ok, well I found the removable panel to adjust the gain. All my gains were on minimum. When you turn them up, it defiantely makes the hissing problem worse. The only gain I adjudsted was for the subs. I brought that up to about 1/4 turn, if that. That way I can have a little bit more bass when I really want it. That did not affect the hiss, as it is only coming out of the door speakers.

Maybe this is just something I didn't notice before and am just paying attention to now. When the system first boots, I can hear the slight beeping and spinning of the CD-player starting in the speakers, with a louder hiss. After a couple seconds, the beeping disappears and the hiss becomes the faint hiss I described above. I does not affect the performance of the system, it is just kind of a nuisance when I want it quiet in the car.

Appreciate 0
      06-14-2009, 09:33 PM   #21
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

What happens if you turn down the LC6i gains, is the hiss gone? Are you using the LC6i signal sensing to turn the PDX-5 on?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2009, 08:06 AM   #22
strike4A
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

I have no hiss on my system and I have the following settings:

- LC6i gains about 80%
- PDX-5 gains at minimum
- LC6i ground isolation: Isolated

I have taken the OEM remote wire and used that as remote turn on for the LC6i rather than signal sensing. Then I have utilised the remote out from there to the PDX-5.

The LC6i should be shipped as new with the ground isolation jumpers set to the isolated position although it's probably worth double checking this. The other options are 200 ohm or ground.
Appreciate 0