Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HERR FSTIR
So production has begun? A recent comment by Scott over on German Car Forum indicated production would run through first quarter of 2012 and there is no fixed ceiling on production numbers.

It is interesting that BMW Leipzig is in pre-production or "zero production" phase...

When you look at the N55 builds - Leipzig also built the first batch of N55 cars back in Dec, 2009 - last year Along side of the last of the N54's). It wasn't until March, 2010 - that regular N55 production began.

I foud this out thru my BMW dealer parts diagrams - last year. IF you look up a euro 135i on RealOEM.com you will see both engines were built durring this time last year. This actaully is also correct for US spec cars - its just RealOEM's data base doesn't have the latest data files - yet.

This suggest a pattern here, with BMW! Humm...

Dackel
During the visit of the factory, BMW told us that, Leipzig is the most modern & well equipped factory of BMW. It is also the most flexible factory of BMW because they can easily change the setup inside the factory by the modern technology inside this factory. They can produce 4 to 5 products at the same time in the same production line. So this is not difficult to understand new stuff can be easily introduced into this factory first.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2010, 10:28 PM   #90
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

exactly... and we were told they currently are producing 730 cars per day (with more capacity available) and that one can still change options on your own build as late as a week in advance of production, so it should be easy for them to spool up 1Ms on the line. There were 1 series coupes, verts, hatches, and X1, for both left hand and right hand drive, all on the same line.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2010, 01:37 AM   #91
as7920
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2023 SG/FR M4 xDrive Competiti

Pretty amazing stuff. Would've been great to see that.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2010, 12:37 PM   #92
///Mangler
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 Darth Vader Trackcar

Garage List
2000 E39 M5  [9.00]
"Originally Posted by Bigmouth Studio
What I dislike: still a little bit under-power if this is an M car. The interior is not very interesting."

So 60-100+ ft lbs of torque over the S54 makes it under powered? You do know that torque moves a vehicle right? HP is just a function of torque?

Race engineers tune the torque "area under the curve" to match the chassis that the power plant will be installed in.

T
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2010, 10:15 PM   #93
JB135MDCT
I'm just a cook
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxnix View Post
Too bad no one asked them why DCT was so easy to couple with the N54 in the 335is and so difficult with essentially the same N54 in the 1M!
Scott stated early on that the 1M is not complete in order to not step on the M3. There is no technical reason, just politics.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 02:05 PM   #94
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxnix View Post
Too bad no one asked them why DCT was so easy to couple with the N54 in the 335is and so difficult with essentially the same N54 in the 1M!

there have been reports in different threads that DCT contributes greatly to drivetrain heat, which compromises track reliability with respect to the limp home mode. Also, it appears that the gearbox on the 1M actually has cooling, and it's been rumored that the cooling setup may have been borrowed from the DCT design. Even still... the idea of the 1M is a car with reduced weight... more focused for the track, and most track drivers prefer a manual vs, an autobox, especially an autobox that adds weight and may make the car less trackworthy! DCT is now available in the 135 i hear.... which kinda nixes the " politics " thing..
Appreciate 0