BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-27-2011, 01:41 PM   #1
notmisfit
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i 6MT

Ultimate Driving Machine (New Owner)

Indeed. This Tuesday I picked up a CPO 2008 135i 6MT 45k miles, with the M sport package, heated 8 way power seats, ipod/usb and couldn't be happier. It just came off lease. (3yr/15k)

2 months ago - I was more or less settled on a 350z 2 months ago as a "cheap" toy. I have gone back and forth about buying a new car for a couple years now and was also set on a new WRX for quite a long time. One day those couple months ago I made the mistake of test driving a 2012 DCT 135i on an impulse on the way to visit my dad. I remembered seeing an M version on Top Gear and wasn't all that impressed but I remembered him raving about it vaguely so I figured what the hell it was only 10ft away from the road on the way to dad's.

That was a mistake. I described it to my friends as a religious experience. Something that had all the power I wanted, didn't scream pull me over, and was very well refined for my commute's in to work. It's like Christian Bale in American Psycho I thought. Mild mannered on the outside but a serial killer underneath. While the looks aren't for everyone to me the car looks like it was molded out of clay as opposed to designed on a computer like the 370z, and I love the looks of the 370z.

From there I the last spent 2 months trying to reason a 2012 135i lease into my budget and keeping the brochure close like it was my bible. It wasn't that hard since I'm single (have a 9 year old son that lives with me) but no wife to stop my madness. However the more sensible side of me won and I started to look down in the 25-35k range. Last Saturday I test drove the following cars: 2008 135i 6MT, 2009 370z 6MT, 2008 G37S 6MT, and for kicks, a 2008 IS250 as they didn't have any 350's on the lot.

I already knew what I wanted after the first test drive (135i) but I tried the others. I was very glad the 6MT is so great in the 135, I have driven purely manual cars for the last 15 years and wasn't really ready to make the plunge to even a DCT setup.

Anyway long story short I'm very happy with my purchase and the last 2 days of driving it have been great. I even already have my first warranty visit! The nozzles don't spray wiper fluid. It's not wax, I was hoping it was. I've got the original warranty until September 2012 and then CPO until September 2014. Hopefully no HFFP issues surface or brake lights fall off! I worked with Ron @ Baron BMW in Kansas City for anyone who was curious and they were great to deal with.

List of previous cars (worth noting anyway) I got tired of making slow cars handle great & stop quick only to be lacking in power. I don't speed everywhere but I like merging into traffic without turning off my air conditioning.

1994 Mazda Miata (8 months - completely upgraded suspension and brakes)
1993 Nissan 240sx Coupe (7 years - completely upgraded suspension and brakes)
1997 Subaru Impreza Wagon (2 years - completely upgraded suspension and brakes, still have this for winter)

I have done some track days and autocross in the past and will be joining the BMWCCA and trying to do some more in the future. If you read this far I think it's obvious I love the car!
Attached Images

Last edited by notmisfit; 10-27-2011 at 01:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2011, 09:43 PM   #2
sjp3003
Private
Dominican Republic
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 50i

Congrats....looks like you did extensive homework. So, what did you think about the 370 and the G37?
2013 KTM 1190 Adventure
2013 Husqvarna Terra 650
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2011, 08:11 AM   #3
DanoG80Cx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M3 Competition xDrive

Garage List
2023 BMW M3Cx  [10.00]
Congrats! I too almost pulled the trigger on a 370z Nismo, but not having a backseat at all brought me back to the 135i. I do have to say, I didn't think I'd like the 370 as much as I did. The interior was very nice and the car was quicker than I thought it would be, the clutch felt really nice as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2011, 08:30 AM   #4
BimmerE82
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i Sport package

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [7.00]
Nice ride. The car being an 08, it should have already had the HPFP replaced under warranty so that shouldn't be an issue.
      10-28-2011, 09:41 AM   #5
notmisfit
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjp3003 View Post
Congrats....looks like you did extensive homework. So, what did you think about the 370 and the G37?
Thank you - indeed I did do some homework.

370z: Much like the guy above said I was pretty impressed with it, honestly surprised me. The steering input and response was great, the feedback was fantastic. I could seeing having the Z as a 3rd car or something I drove 2-3 days a week but my goal with this purchase was get something I could drive unless I absolutely had to get in the Subaru and while I love the looks, it screamed "pull me over." As is well documented as well the Z is quite loud on the highway, sports car or not it tended to drone a bit cruising between the potenzas and the engine though it sounded great pulling through the power band. My Subaru wagon hits about 90 dB @ 85mph (just performance all seasons, stock exhaust, its mostly road/wind noise) and I have been over that for a while. BMW is maybe 73 dB at 90 mph. The Z I didn't even need to gauge past my ears even though "I had an "app" for that with me heh.

G37S: I think they look great in person (pictures make it look dull to me) but for me this was the most forgettable. It didn't have the power or speed of the Z, the handling was a bit more muted and while the interior was nice to me it wasn't as nice as the BMW. Not a big fan of brushed aluminum though. I will say they aren't just "370z's with a nicer interior." The backseat is pretty large and useable (made the dealer ride back there) and the car has a balanced feel about it but it just didn't stick. It wasn't a bad car it just didn't seem like a great car.

At the end of the day I wanted power, luxury, and practicality and while I won't admit it to myself... upgrade potential. The BMW was the most well rounded as well as the most solid driver's car of the bunch. Maybe it was the meaty M wheel, it just spoke to me. I've also been fortunate to love how the 135 looks as well. I wouldn't change a thing.

Last edited by notmisfit; 10-28-2011 at 09:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 10:19 AM   #6
mike the snake
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

I was pretty much dead set on getting a G37. It took a while to find a 6MT version in my area with low miles, and i had cash in hand when I went to test drive the car. I had researched quite a bit, and I liked the looks, and already had a mod list started. Unfortunately, the G37 did not rock my world like I had thought it would. The dealer didn't wash the car, and it appeared to be an outside car, and taken to the snow a lot, and it had lots of ding dents on the hood and front, and I just wasn't moved during the test drive. I REALLY like the looks of the 37 so I was kind of bummed, also because I really needed to buy a car that weekend because my other car died dead.

I went to the dealer to check out the new WRX, ended up test driving the 135i, and I bought it right there on the spot.

I too am very glad i bought my 135, I've had it for a couple months and really like it a lot. New wheels and tires, and new Ohlins coil overs going on tomorrow.

Congrats on your purchase, I'm sure you'll like your 135 more and more as I do. Careful with the mods though, once you start, it gets addicting.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 09:06 PM   #7
Vyk
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 128i Coupe, on order

I have to agree on your assessment of the G37. In comparison to the 128i and Genesis Coupe I drove, it felt enormous, soft, and heavy. It was still quite a capable car, and it'd eat the 128i alive if you were wringing it out, but with an engine optimized for horsepower rather than low-end torque, it didn't have any more "grunt" than the 128i if you put your foot down in town. Most amusing of all, though, the 128i (by far the smallest of the three) was the only one where I could sit in the rear without my head touching the headliner! (I'm 5'10".) I don't expect I'll ever have somebody sit in the back of my car, but with the 128i, at least I don't feel like I'd be doing them a favor if I made them walk instead. Basically, I felt the G37 would be the better car for highway trips (other than fuel consumption) but the worse car for around-town driving. At around 3 weeks of trips a year and 49 weeks of city driving a year, it was a no-brainer for me. (Probably for you too, if you're reading 1addicts instead of a G forum. )
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 12:24 PM   #8
doublevanosrc
Loves his G20
Rep
Drives: 2020 330ix M sport

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
Sounds like another satisfied customer!!!

2020 330ix-Msport
Past-
2013 135i
2011 135i
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 07:24 PM   #9
Alow
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E82 128i, F36 430i GC

Welcome to the BMW family! I also live in KC. Definitely join the BMW club and join us for a track day and/or a car control clinic.
Appreciate 0