BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-22-2012, 05:33 AM   #23
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alext
I got some of them Zuzu but returned them after one of them started to deform at the base when I drove my Z4 up onto them not quite square on (wide rear tyres). When I drove off the plastic was permantley damaged and bent. Couldn't trust them after that. So I promptly returned them - you might be ok though - just a heads up.
I actually returned mine the next day. Wasn't happy with the flimsy lip either. Didn't even unpack them.

I was a concerned also with the 265's on the ramp.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2012, 07:58 AM   #24
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

I bought myself some Race Ramps over a year ago. They're on the steep side but I wanted the best ramps around if I'm going to be working underneath my car. Race ramps are the real deal, there are videos of the ramps being used on ice and it doesn't slide around at all. I recommend getting the 2 piece so you can still have access from the sides.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2012, 09:09 PM   #25
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
I bought myself some Race Ramps over a year ago. They're on the steep side but I wanted the best ramps around if I'm going to be working underneath my car. Race ramps are the real deal, there are videos of the ramps being used on ice and it doesn't slide around at all. I recommend getting the 2 piece so you can still have access from the sides.
Thats what I'm going to buy also!

http://www.raceramps.com.au/56q-race-ramps.html

Although I would like these:

http://www.raceramps.com.au/67-race-ramp-xts.html
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2012, 09:38 PM   #26
david.orr
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Cars

Joe and all, save your money and go to any backyard fab shop. Give them the dimensions of this 'race' ramp and ask them to fab one for you using scrap chequer plates and 10mm rod/braces all welded together. You get a vert end plate and longer flat area too with these materials. 100-150 cash into the guy's pocket and you have what I have. Custom made, heavy duty, non-slip, last forever
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 06:33 PM   #27
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-JEKL View Post

I think I have the 67 two piece. I highly recommend the two piece so you can still have access from the side. Great ramps, they haven't let me down yet.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 11:53 PM   #28
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Quote:

so expensive

$4xx is definitely more than i'm willing to pay for ramps
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 12:00 AM   #29
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy View Post
so expensive

$4xx is definitely more than i'm willing to pay for ramps
Its all a matter of perspective.

Expensive yes, but over the years instead of having my car serviced by a mechanic, I have gone the DIY option used top shelf synthetic fluids and slowly built up a small amount of hand tools.

A typical oil change is say $150, $50-90 in fluids and $10 for a filter this leaves you with a theoretical $50 to spend on tools (fluid syringe for the diffs, socket sets, torque wrench etc)

Those prices quoted are from the australian distributor I'm keen to use some contacts and get some direct from the usa myself (the 64" race ramps in the usa are around 56" money!)
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 12:56 AM   #30
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Quote:
Its all a matter of perspective.

Expensive yes, but over the years instead of having my car serviced by a mechanic, I have gone the DIY option used top shelf synthetic fluids and slowly built up a small amount of hand tools.

A typical oil change is say $150, $50-90 in fluids and $10 for a filter this leaves you with a theoretical $50 to spend on tools (fluid syringe for the diffs, socket sets, torque wrench etc)

Those prices quoted are from the australian distributor I'm keen to use some contacts and get some direct from the usa myself (the 64" race ramps in the usa are around 56" money!)
yeah.. but $400 in ramps.. or some cheap ramps, a jack (under the ramp side) then stands?

way cheaper than $400?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 01:35 AM   #31
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M View Post
Ramps are not ideal as the car is on an incline and oil doesn't drain properly. Rather spentd 30 mins and put the car on 4 jack stands IMO.... or go to Advan on a Sat morning and pay a few $ to use the hoist
Wouldnt the car be leaning in the direction of the oil plug, thus actually aiding in draining of the engine oil (I haven't done an oil change on my bmr yet though all my jdm cars had the plug at the back of the engine)
Appreciate 0