BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-22-2012, 01:03 PM   #1
haitham87
Private First Class
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 135i, JB4, AA BOV, PE

LSD

Hey fellas, whats the best LsD for manual 135i?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2012, 03:10 PM   #2
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
probably OS Giken
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2012, 03:50 PM   #3
ParkNuts
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3 Performance

If I'm not mistaken a Wavetrac is the best in no load scenarios like on ice or if a tire is lifted and is also the cheapest. That makes it the best option for a lot of people. I'm sure others will chime in with more information.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2012, 03:58 PM   #4
smw356
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Anyone have experience with the OS Giken superlock diff and how much it effects every day driveability.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2012, 05:44 PM   #5
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

Quaife, Wavetrac, Torsen, Dinan (basically Torsen) are all gear type LSDs, while OS Giken and Drexler are clutch type.

The clutch types offer performance advantages on a track, but aren't as nice for day to day driving. They're still fine for the street, but it's up to you if they are not quiet or smooth enough if you're daily driving your car. The quaife and wavetrac are both great for street driving and track days.

Basically, for the street a gear type will cost less money, be less work for you to maintain, be smoother, and overall nicer mannered. But a clutch type will hold traction better, will handle high amounts of torque better (no gears to break from too much force), and will overall perform better. Also, IIRC, Drexler (clutch type) manufactures the differentials for AMG cars and for BMW Motorsport's race cars. I don't really know any race cars with gear type LSDs.

I don't have an LSD yet, but I have my eye on the OS giken unit... but it's two grand I heard it's not terrible at all for daily driving, and has more than double the plates of the Drexler unit so it will last much longer even with hard driving.

I believe the Berk Technology time attack car uses an OS Giken unit. I'm sure someone would be happy to comment on how they like it if you send them a PM.

Appreciate 0
      07-22-2012, 05:54 PM   #6
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

^thats a great explanation. OSG is what berk runs - you're correct.

Just curious OP. why do you think you need the 3-5K investment that is an LSD?

Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 01:24 AM   #7
haitham87
Private First Class
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 135i, JB4, AA BOV, PE

Thanks 1speedbike... Hmmm well, im looking for an LSD mainly for road use.. For drifting in particular... As i saw, do the other lsd's need installation like the Quaefi?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 10:09 AM   #8
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by haitham87 View Post
Thanks 1speedbike... Hmmm well, im looking for an LSD mainly for road use.. For drifting in particular... As i saw, do the other lsd's need installation like the Quaefi?
I'm 99% sure that any LSD you buy for the manual transmission will be more expensive and a bit more involved to install. This is because the diff for the manual is welded and not bolted like the auto. For example, the OS Giken auto unit is about $1900, while the manual unit is about $2200 (this is just at one online store that I happened to look at. I'm sure prices differ). I think any diff. you get will have a similar install as the Quaife. For road use, a gear-type LSD is fine.. but...I remember hearing that clutch type LSDs are better for drifting. Though, being honest, I'm not really sure why it would be preferable for drifting over a gear-type.

Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 10:20 AM   #9
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Many people go with a Quaife bc of the no to little wear over the life of the unit and that it works seamlessly. ie: no jerking or noises when its doing its job.

These threads might make for some good reading material for you OP...

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...t+Differential

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...t+Differential
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 01:48 PM   #10
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Andre, gear type LSDs tend to become open diffs when one wheel has zero traction - so a lifted wheel or driving on bad ice/snow.

Clutch type diffs don't have this issue. They allow full lock in zero traction scenarios.

That being said - the ediff on our cars is will active no matter what. So it takes some of the issue with gear types away

Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 06:35 PM   #11
Eyeman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 blk, blk, step

Garage List
With a tuned LSD, in my mind you really need an LSD. I'm amazed how well my Quaife works with the factory traction control system. Before the LSD I would often have to mess with the traction control button and I'd still get traction control interference, even before I was tuned. Now I can practically drift without even messing with traction control. I get flashing traction control lights here and there but never notice any braking, etc. I still have way too much power for my tires but it's much better and much more controllable with the LSD.
Injen, RR OCC, MadDad Whisper, donut spare, 19x8.5et43fr 19x9.5et45r Volk LE37's, rear fenders rolled/pulled, PSS4S 225/35fr 255/30r, KW V1's, AR coated catless dps, Cross strutbar, CF grills and license plate holder, iCarbon diffuser, ETS black anodized FMIC, M3 control arms, Quaife, ER chargepipe, ForgeDV's, Topspeed Custom Tune, V3sims, Braille, Andrey_GTA rear hub mod, Ebay Mstyle front bumper and performance style side skirts.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 06:50 PM   #12
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
Andre, gear type LSDs tend to become open diffs when one wheel has zero traction - so a lifted wheel or driving on bad ice/snow.

Clutch type diffs don't have this issue. They allow full lock in zero traction scenarios.

That being said - the ediff on our cars is will active no matter what. So it takes some of the issue with gear types away
OOoohh! I get it now!

Makes sense. Clutch types wins in my eyes, even if the ediff compensates in some ways. Still, cool that a gear type LSD and the computer work together in that way. Thanks dude!

Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 06:52 PM   #13
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyeman View Post
With a tuned LSD, in my mind you really need an LSD. I'm amazed how well my Quaife works with the factory traction control system. Before the LSD I would often have to mess with the traction control button and I'd still get traction control interference, even before I was tuned. Now I can practically drift without even messing with traction control. I get flashing traction control lights here and there but never notice any braking, etc. I still have way too much power for my tires but it's much better and much more controllable with the LSD.
You're really making me want to have a spare couple grand lying around for a LSD. Thanks for your opinion, even though I hate you for having one

Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 08:00 PM   #14
smw356
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

From my research the biggest downside to the clutch type ones is the fact that our OEM diff housing doesn't have a drain plug, which makes changing the oil a PITA.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 11:47 PM   #15
Scott B
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

Is the 1M diff an option for a 135?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 07:50 AM   #16
bdoooh
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 SSII M5 CP

I was going to post up in another thread.. but I think I'll hijack this one since it's on the same topic.. I've been looking into LSDs lately as one of my first mods. I feel as if getting more power like most people desire, as much as it is tempting, I believe supporting mods for the future power is more important. And seeing as the wavetrac is $1200, that isn't too bad.. but.. my question is.. what's the true cost of getting an LSD in a manual N55 135i? Seeing as the differential is welded..

True cost meaning.. the LSD ( minus the core charge ), installation, and any other costs that may be associated with this. It is... around $1200, right?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 09:43 AM   #17
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdoooh View Post
I was going to post up in another thread.. but I think I'll hijack this one since it's on the same topic.. I've been looking into LSDs lately as one of my first mods. I feel as if getting more power like most people desire, as much as it is tempting, I believe supporting mods for the future power is more important. And seeing as the wavetrac is $1200, that isn't too bad.. but.. my question is.. what's the true cost of getting an LSD in a manual N55 135i? Seeing as the differential is welded..

True cost meaning.. the LSD ( minus the core charge ), installation, and any other costs that may be associated with this. It is... around $1200, right?
Going by what it says on N54Tuning for buying the Wavetrac...

Quote:
If you are welded you need to select the install kit + core option. Install Kit is 699.00 and the REFUNDABLE core is 800.00 (Total 1499.00) (800.00 core is refunded once your stock pumpkin is sent back)
So it's $1,199 + $1,499 (core + install kit) - $800 (core refund) + labor cost (I don't think this is DIY for most people) = $1,898 + labor.

The install kit seems necessary for welded (manual) but not bolted diffs. Going by what I've seen, Dinan quotes 4.8 hours for install, other places quote up to 8 hours (!!), so I'm assuming something like $400-$800 cost for the install. So, total cost would be $2,298 - $2,698 depending on the installation labor cost for MT. $699 less for an auto that doesn't need the install kit.

Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 05:48 PM   #18
TT1351
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135, GTS, E30 M3+

Check out VAC Motorsports, in PA, they can install a Quaiffe, and do the required machining, I got one from them and love it, no issues. Fran
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 07:34 PM   #19
bdoooh
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 SSII M5 CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT1351
Check out VAC Motorsports, in PA, they can install a Quaiffe, and do the required machining, I got one from them and love it, no issues. Fran
How much did you end up paying when it was all said and done if you don't mind me asking?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 01:14 AM   #20
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1speedbike View Post
Quaife, Wavetrac, Torsen, Dinan (basically Torsen) are all gear type LSDs, while OS Giken and Drexler are clutch type.

The clutch types offer performance advantages on a track, but aren't as nice for day to day driving. They're still fine for the street, but it's up to you if they are not quiet or smooth enough if you're daily driving your car. The quaife and wavetrac are both great for street driving and track days.

Basically, for the street a gear type will cost less money, be less work for you to maintain, be smoother, and overall nicer mannered. But a clutch type will hold traction better, will handle high amounts of torque better (no gears to break from too much force), and will overall perform better. Also, IIRC, Drexler (clutch type) manufactures the differentials for AMG cars and for BMW Motorsport's race cars. I don't really know any race cars with gear type LSDs.

I don't have an LSD yet, but I have my eye on the OS giken unit... but it's two grand I heard it's not terrible at all for daily driving, and has more than double the plates of the Drexler unit so it will last much longer even with hard driving.

I believe the Berk Technology time attack car uses an OS Giken unit. I'm sure someone would be happy to comment on how they like it if you send them a PM.
You are mostly right. However, there is hardly any load on the gears in a gear type LSD because it never goes into a full lock. With gear type LSD there is much less wear and heat, thus less frequent gear oil changes and failures. Clutch type will eventually need a rebuild and frequent gear oil changes to extend their service life. And there is sometimes the noise issue with some clutch type LSD's you have to deal with for day to day driving.

If your car is mostly a street car, a gear type LSD, such as the Quaife or the Wavetrac is recommended. If you do more track then street or compete in drifting events then the natural choice is a clutch type LSD.

PM, email or call us with any specific questions you may have. We have extensive experience with Quaife, Wavetrac and OS Giken LSDs on E8x/E9x chassis ever since they came out 6 years ago.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 11:19 AM   #21
Scott B
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott B View Post
Anyone?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 12:10 PM   #22
int2str
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott B View Post
Not a good one

Somebody here has done it, I believe. But since the dimension and the placement on the car are different from the 135i, other changes are required. At a minimum, M3 half-shafts are necessary, I believe.

The other options mentioned in this thread are much more sensible IMHO.
Appreciate 0