BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-23-2017, 01:02 PM   #1
Bimmer TV
1Lover
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i M Sport PPK

URGENT: VRSF Catless DP Fix Installed - Still Get Not Ready/Complete Errors - HELP!

I could use some advice/help from our members! I've installed the VRSF Catless DP fix on my 2008 135i so I can get my inspection sticker. Trouble is, the monitor status of the Cats are still showing as not ready so I will fail still. I don't get any CEL codes with it installed nor was I before I installed it but I also don't get a ready/complete state. Do I just need to adjust the dial a bit more on the DP Fix to get them to register properly or does the DP Fix not do anything for readiness states? Any input would be greatly appreciated as my buddy that can get me the sticker is moving this week so I have very little time left and the laws are getting a serious change around here next month so I really need to get this done before then so I will at least have another year. Thanks!
Monaco Blue/Coral Red | MHD BE Flash | RI M1 Bumper | VRSF 7" FMIC | aFe DCI Intake | AR Catless DP | ER CP & Tial Q BOV | H&R Springs | VMR 18" | Black Gloss Grills | aFe Air Intake Scoops | MFactory SMFW | 335is Clutch | Blacked Out Side Markers | Carbon Fiber Deck Spoiler | LUX LED Angel Eyes | BMW Aluminum Pedals | BMS OCC | Mishimoto OCC | RB Turbo External PVC Kit | JB4 w/ Wireless | PR Stage 2 Fuel Pump | BMS SSK
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2017, 12:22 PM   #2
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Yo Btz! Have you checked the connections and made sure they are all correct? Are you running a JB4?

I'd first check the connections and then make sure you go for at least a 30min drive to get everything to the "ready" state. Also consider contacting VRSF asap for assistance.
      08-24-2017, 01:27 PM   #3
Bimmer TV
1Lover
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matticus91 View Post
Yo Btz! Have you checked the connections and made sure they are all correct? Are you running a JB4?

I'd first check the connections and then make sure you go for at least a 30min drive to get everything to the "ready" state. Also consider contacting VRSF asap for assistance.
Thanks Matt! I'm assuming it's installed right as I am getting no codes and my buddy that's a BMW tech installed it. It's been driven for 2-3 weeks now with it installed so not a matter of time driven. No JB4 or I wouldn't have needed this as far as I know.

I did try to contact VRSF before I purchased it to make sure this would solve my problem. I may try them again.

I read that if the adjustment setting is wrong for your car, you'll get codes. Set it too high it will throw a code and set it too low and it will throw a code. I have it at 6 o'clock as is suggested and having no issues but readiness state on cats is incomplete.
Monaco Blue/Coral Red | MHD BE Flash | RI M1 Bumper | VRSF 7" FMIC | aFe DCI Intake | AR Catless DP | ER CP & Tial Q BOV | H&R Springs | VMR 18" | Black Gloss Grills | aFe Air Intake Scoops | MFactory SMFW | 335is Clutch | Blacked Out Side Markers | Carbon Fiber Deck Spoiler | LUX LED Angel Eyes | BMW Aluminum Pedals | BMS OCC | Mishimoto OCC | RB Turbo External PVC Kit | JB4 w/ Wireless | PR Stage 2 Fuel Pump | BMS SSK
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2017, 02:11 PM   #4
R1wheelieforfun
Private
Rep
Drives: 2005 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunky Osiris View Post
I could use some advice/help from our members! I've installed the VRSF Catless DP fix on my 2008 135i so I can get my inspection sticker. Trouble is, the monitor status of the Cats are still showing as not ready so I will fail still. I don't get any CEL codes with it installed nor was I before I installed it but I also don't get a ready/complete state. Do I just need to adjust the dial a bit more on the DP Fix to get them to register properly or does the DP Fix not do anything for readiness states? Any input would be greatly appreciated as my buddy that can get me the sticker is moving this week so I have very little time left and the laws are getting a serious change around here next month so I really need to get this done before then so I will at least have another year. Thanks!
I got thru this every year, such a PITA. This is what I do (Jb4 here) and catless DPs with the VRSF fix. JB4 set to menu zero, clear all my codes with a handheld reader, and then I drive the car for a day or two. Then I recheck with my scantool the readiness of the car. Your 'cat' should come back eventually and show as 'ready.' I want to say my O2 sensors end up reading as 'n/a' but they never fail me (I'm in MA too). My issue is that my CEL always comes back after a day or two, so I need to balance driving the car enough cycles to get it back to 'ready' state before it throws the CEL. Seems like the DP fix only works for so long, or at least in my instance.

Not sure if this helps you or not, but this is my experience for the past 3 years every June. It sucks, but you get a whole year to not deal with it again.
Appreciate 1
Bimmer TV125.00
      08-25-2017, 01:20 PM   #5
Bimmer TV
1Lover
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1wheelieforfun View Post
I got thru this every year, such a PITA. This is what I do (Jb4 here) and catless DPs with the VRSF fix. JB4 set to menu zero, clear all my codes with a handheld reader, and then I drive the car for a day or two. Then I recheck with my scantool the readiness of the car. Your 'cat' should come back eventually and show as 'ready.' I want to say my O2 sensors end up reading as 'n/a' but they never fail me (I'm in MA too). My issue is that my CEL always comes back after a day or two, so I need to balance driving the car enough cycles to get it back to 'ready' state before it throws the CEL. Seems like the DP fix only works for so long, or at least in my instance.

Not sure if this helps you or not, but this is my experience for the past 3 years every June. It sucks, but you get a whole year to not deal with it again.
Wicked, thanks for the tips! Good to know about the CEL coming on after the Cats saying ready or N/A. Hope I can get this done without having to buy stock DPs and replacing them seeing as I already bought the VRSF DP fix.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2017, 01:23 PM   #6
Bimmer TV
1Lover
United_States
Rep

Quick update after doing some more research and getting some tips from fellow members. Sounds like I need to flash back to stock with MHD so the codes aren't suppressed. I did that this afternoon and then tried my best to follow the recommended driving schedule. I'm running to my buddies shop shortly to grab his readiness reader and see if I can get a ready state to show up before getting a CEL.
Appreciate 1
Matticus913474.50
      08-27-2017, 12:42 PM   #7
Bimmer TV
1Lover
United_States
Rep

Adding this input from another member to this thread.

"please excuse me as I only read the first 4 posts before I add my 2 cent. was going through the same problem here in Las Vegas. I installed the dp fix I got from another member on here. I'm running the mhd 2+ 91 oct ( because we have shitty gas here). you have to reset your dme, drive freeway and streets for 20 miles, turn the car off let it cool then go drive again for the same. check the shadow codes if any and adjust the dpfix and drive it again. I got lucky and left it on the setting the guy before had and it worked first time. everything showed up perfect on the computer with the tune still installed."
Appreciate 1
Matticus913474.50
      08-28-2017, 08:58 AM   #8
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunky Osiris View Post
Adding this input from another member to this thread.

"please excuse me as I only read the first 4 posts before I add my 2 cent. was going through the same problem here in Las Vegas. I installed the dp fix I got from another member on here. I'm running the mhd 2+ 91 oct ( because we have shitty gas here). you have to reset your dme, drive freeway and streets for 20 miles, turn the car off let it cool then go drive again for the same. check the shadow codes if any and adjust the dpfix and drive it again. I got lucky and left it on the setting the guy before had and it worked first time. everything showed up perfect on the computer with the tune still installed."
Good on ya for trying to get this resolved and sharing solutions for other members!

Hope you get it all working for the inspection man
      09-06-2017, 09:21 AM   #9
Bimmer TV
1Lover
United_States
Rep

Ok guys, still having trouble with this so here is some more of what I've tried/learned.

After installing the DP Fix and driving for 3 or 4 weeks, I was still getting two incomplete readings for Cats on my buddies CReader (and the inspection machine). As I mentioned above, I read that the MHD tune might be preventing the monitors from showing a ready status. So, I flashed back to stock and drove around for 5 or 6 days with at least an hour of driving each day. Many of the trips doing the specific reset schedule. (Cold Start 2 minutes 10, 20-30MPH 3 minutes 30, 40-60MPH 15-20 minutes and idle 6 minutes. No exceeding 3k RPM or 60MPH)

So after 5 days or so flashed to stock, I was now only getting one monitor for the Catalyst as showing incomplete. Improvement but not good enough for me as I already failed for the Cats on my 1st go-round so now they have to all show as complete. I think a lot of people are getting by with one as incomplete but correct me if I'm wrong.

So then after talking to a few more people, I decided to try flashing to Map 0 with MHD so MHD is installed still but no tune is present. Within 15-20 minutes I was able to get all the reset monitors to come up as ready or N/A except for the one Cat still and EVAP of course which takes a few heat/cool cycles. More driving and still couldn't get the final one.

Now, here is the weird part. If I check readiness with MHD, I see
O2 Sensor - Complete
Heated O2 Sensor - Complete
Catalyst - Complete
Heated Catalyst - N/A

This should be fine as N/A is ok, just not incomplete.

This is also exactly what I see with Torque as well.

But! What I see with my buddies CReader that I trust more is something like this (he's now moved to Denver so I don't have access to it anymore).
O2 - Complete
Heated O2 - Complete
Catalyst - Incomplete
Heated Catalyst - Complete

I'm kind of at a loss now as I've tried quite a few things with no luck. I went ahead and grabbed some catted OEM pipes from a member on here and they should be arriving soon. Car goes in for accident repairs Monday the 11th so I'll update when I know more or have a sticker finally.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2017, 08:42 AM   #10
Bimmer TV
1Lover
United_States
Rep

Also, just to reiterate from above, I was never getting any CELs or anything this whole time. Just couldn't get the one monitor to show as ready.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2017, 10:30 AM   #11
08 1ER
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i MT

When i installed mine i noticed the pictures were different than the written instructions. Pin installation on the picture was off from the written directions. Follow the written instructions not the pictures.

With mine, also installed on a 2008....I had to turn the dial up a bit to get it to read ready. I did have to drive it a couple miles but i did not do any of the drive cycle stuff. MHD has a readiness monitor on it and i referred to that while getting it ready for inspection.
Appreciate 1
Bimmer TV125.00
      09-08-2017, 10:32 AM   #12
Bimmer TV
1Lover
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08 1ER View Post
When i installed mine i noticed the pictures were different than the written instructions. Pin installation on the picture was off from the written directions. Follow the written instructions not the pictures.

With mine, also installed on a 2008....I had to turn the dial up a bit to get it to read ready. I did have to drive it a couple miles but i did not do any of the drive cycle stuff. MHD has a readiness monitor on it and i referred to that while getting it ready for inspection.
Cheers, thanks for the added input!
Appreciate 0