BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

Closed Thread

12-09-2009, 02:49 PM   #1
twinturbo135i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

As much as I love my CR 135i, I think I may have found a new love...

I've always loved my 135i because of how nice it drives and of course how fast it is. but small little annoyances like interior rattles (that are becoming more and more apparent) are making me think twice about bailing on her. that and the fact that I'm deadly afraid of what's going to happen when my warranty runs out. I'm not in any position to shell out gobbs of money if and when something were to go terribly wrong with my engine, tranny or anything else.

so I've had my eye on one of these these babies for the past six months or so. it's a Transformers edition Camaro SS. (I'm a huge Transformers movie fan.) my local dealership finally received one and they gave me a call. I immediately fell in love with the car as soon as I sat in it. the interior is very nice and it just feels right. we took a similar car out for a test ride and it was pretty fast. it didn't have the snap your neck back fast feeling like my 135i does but I'm sure that can easily be fixed with some minor mods under the hood.

I know it's going to be a very hard decision for me to make. going from a BMW to an every day Camaro might not be an easy switch. but I'm thinking big picture, longevity-wise this might be the right thing to do. the Camaro is NA engine which means I won't have the scary though(s) of what could go possibly wrong after the warranty runs out.

decisions decisions.......

Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 02:56 PM   #2
bluejaypanther
Nerd!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW 135i Coupe 6MT

I would never buy one (don't need a luxury brand, but need something just a bit more "adult", sorry), but do what makes you happy, dude. How's the handling/agility? If you're interested in an American-style pony car, why not wait for the new Mustang V6? supposed to be pretty awesome.
      12-09-2009, 03:00 PM   #3
1HungryMan
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i

You must be joking. Seriously. A Mustang over a 135? That is a joke.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 03:04 PM   #4
BlackjackMulligan
Most interesting Roadster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3.0 Roady;'10 C300 Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1HungryMan View Post
no, it's not.

here we go with the American car bashing again.....both the new Mustang and the Camaro are serious players in the sporty car world, people are going to have to start dealing with it.

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 03:10 PM   #5
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackjackMulligan View Post
both the new Mustang and the Camaro are serious players in the sporty car world, people are going to have to start dealing with it.

I agree, but trading a 135i for a V6 Mustang is a step down. The new V8 should be putting down some pretty serious numbers though.

Personally I'm holding out to see if GM's going to actually release a Z28 version of the Camaro. They've already stated that it would get the LSA from the CTS-V (560Hp), and the damn thing would have to a monster.

There's something to be said for the simple approach GM takes with their performance cars. The LSx motors are dead reliable, and the number of electronic systems on the cars that will go wrong is minimal.

That said, I'm not a huge fan of the dash on the Camaro, and I'm thinking the CTS-V coupe might work for me instead.

Edit:

I like this setup, color and wheels:

Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 03:18 PM   #6
JohnL135I
Donkey Kong King
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Boss 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackjackMulligan View Post
no, it's not.

here we go with the American car bashing again.....both the new Mustang and the Camaro are serious players in the sporty car world, people are going to have to start dealing with it.
+1

I'm not a big Chevy fan, but the V8 Camaro is a powerful car. It will also be supported by many aftermarket companies.

One thing I do like about driving a 135i.... how many did I see on the way to work? Zero. But I counted 4 new Camaro's. Hmmmmmmm
      12-09-2009, 03:22 PM   #7
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

You think your 135 rattles. Wait till that thing gets a few years old.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 03:23 PM   #8
bluejaypanther
Nerd!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW 135i Coupe 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1HungryMan View Post
I didn't say it's a choice I would make. But the new Mustang V6 (not the current one), that's coming out in a couple years, is supposed to be a great engine. With the track pack, possibly faster than the current V8.

I don't think that the Mustang and 135i are comparable, but once you broaded out the discussion to the Camaro, it becomes fair game.

http://jalopnik.com/5408309/2011-for...5-hp-v6-30-mpg
      12-09-2009, 03:26 PM   #9
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnL135I View Post
One thing I do like about driving a 135i.... how many did I see on the way to work? Zero. But I counted 4 new Camaro's. Hmmmmmmm
This is very true. The Camaro has been selling like crazy, even through the downturn that killed most auto sales. They've outsold the Mustang for the last 6 months straight, and a lot of that time it's been supply limited. IIRC the numbers I saw last month were 55k sold YTD. That's a shitload for something in this class. On the other hand, the initial demand will be filled soon, and it will probably start to taper off some. They're certainly going to be a much more common car on the street than a 135i. But that also brings huge aftermarket support and lower prices.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 03:27 PM   #10
marvenmassey
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: '2011 AW CR DCT 135

This is one of the MAJOR reasons I am considering getting a 128i for my DD. I want to get a Orange Challenger too as summer vehicle in addition to the bimmer. I am not crazy about the interior but just LOVE the way it looks and I have always wanted a American Muscle car. With a 128 I can justify the extra money I'll save over the 135 (over 10K in Canada) on a slighty used Challenger..

Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 03:27 PM   #11
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturbo135i View Post

the Camaro is NA engine which means I won't have the scary though(s) of what could go possibly wrong after the warranty runs out.

decisions decisions.......
Its a GM car...you will have many, many scary thoughts

Disclaimer, I love American cars, just not 2/3 of them

Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 03:28 PM   #12
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post

I don't think that's a fair statement. My GTO was dead silent inside (other than the exhaust note) when I sold it with 67k miles on it. There was one rattle in the steering coluum early on that was a PITA to locate, and most of them had it, but once we found it it was an easy fix, and there was nothing else.

GM's interiors are miles ahead of where they were when the last Camaro went out of production.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 03:30 PM   #13
twinturbo135i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
the same could be said about my 135. it's an '08 and it has a pretty good amount of interior rattles. I can't imagine how much worse it could possibly get in the next couple of years.

don't get me wrong, I still love my car. I just wish that BMW had more strict QC standards on their vehicles. these cars are pretty expensive so their quality levels should be pretty high as well.

Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 03:33 PM   #14
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
Its a GM car...you will have many, many scary thoughts

That's funny considering that GM has a couple of brands that are ranked well above average in dependability, even one at the top of the pile. Take a look at where BMW and Mini are at.

They're also doing pretty well in the initial quality as well:

Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 03:35 PM   #15
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post

Damn, that looks pretty good.
      12-09-2009, 03:38 PM   #16
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's funny considering that GM has a couple of brands that are ranked well above average in dependability, even one at the top of the pile. Take a look at where BMW and Mini are at.

Doesnt matter...they are still GM cars...

and yes, im a Ford guy...

Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 03:38 PM   #17
BlackjackMulligan
Most interesting Roadster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3.0 Roady;'10 C300 Sport

Garage List
Quote:
I agree, but trading a 135i for a V6 Mustang is a step down. The new V8 should be putting down some pretty serious numbers though.

Personally I'm holding out to see if GM's going to actually release a Z28 version of the Camaro. They've already stated that it would get the LSA from the CTS-V (560Hp), and the damn thing would have to a monster.

There's something to be said for the simple approach GM takes with their performance cars. The LSx motors are dead reliable, and the number of electronic systems on the cars that will go wrong is minimal.

That said, I'm not a huge fan of the dash on the Camaro, and I'm thinking the CTS-V coupe might work for me instead.

Edit:

I agree, I should've clarified V8s were what I was referring to both with the Camaro and Mustang

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 03:41 PM   #18
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Does JD Power have numbers on customer satisfaction? Curious.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 03:42 PM   #19
Leilani
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Crimson Red 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
Damn, that looks pretty good.
+1. I'm keeping my 128i , but if my husband wanted to get a Camaro...I'd be thrilled!

2008 128i Convertible
Crimson Red - Black Top - Savannah Beige Boston Leather - Gray Poplar Trim
Step - Premium - Sport - Cold Weather - Navigation - Comfort Access - Xenon - iPod/USB
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 03:43 PM   #20
GreatDane
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i (Alpine White)

You're worried about the long term reliability of your BMW so you're switching to Chevy? And post-bankruptcy Chevy no less? Good luck with that.

The Camaro has already had a well documented complete tranny failure problem. GM's answer was not to drive it so hard.. haha...

JD Power survey's are a joke. "Initial quality", lol.

I think Toyota is getting back into sports cars with a new one. Why don't you wait for that if you want rock solid reliability? ... or even a 370Z.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 03:43 PM   #21
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

I think you should post a picture of a side view of your head. We need to measure your mullet, see how much of a Camaro driver you really are

Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 03:48 PM   #22
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatDane View Post
You're worried about the long term reliability of your BMW so you're switching to Chevy? And post-bankruptcy Chevy no less? Good luck with that.

The Camaro has already had a well documented complete tranny failure problem. GM's answer was not to drive it so hard.. haha...

JD Power survey's are a joke. "Initial quality", lol.

I think Toyota is getting back into sports cars with a new one. Why don't you wait for that?

Toyota's in the middle of their worst recall year in history. They've got frames rusting in half on their trucks, and gas pedals and ECU programming that's killing people. I'd keep my distance from them right now.

The root cause of the transmission issue was found early on, was a supplier issue, was covered under warranty for everyone it happened to, and hasn't been widespread. You've also got GM's 100k mile warranty coverage, which is notably twice as long as BMW's.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread