BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-31-2012, 08:33 PM   #1
themuffinman
Registered
Rep
Drives: (soon) 2013 BMW 135i

"We need a downpayment to approve you for this car" - dealer woes

Hey folks, Ive been lurking around the forums here for a couple of months now, and figured Id post a little experience I had today with my CA since it seems rather shady.

So a little back story - Im a (soon to be) first time BMW owner. Back in June I placed an order for a new 2013 135i intending on doing a 36 month lease. Over the past week or so, me and my CA have been working out details regarding the lease as the car is due to be available for me to pick up on September 10th. He agreed to $500 over invoice, but hes been rather reluctant to budge on a lot of things, so I tried the best I could for him to come down the the ridiculous markups on things he was trying to push. I got a voicemail from him about an hour ago stating that I needed to put down a $4000 cap cost reduction in order to be approved for the car...........This is after I explicitly said that I didnt want to put anything down up front for the lease.

So what I want to know, is this normal!?! Based on what Ive seen here on bimmerpost and on the bimmerfest forums, the approval process through BMWFS is either you're approved or not approved. Not approved only if you fork over a sack of money.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 08:40 PM   #2
oldmarco
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

How's your credit? If it's fine and you want to deal with someone else, I can get you a forum friendly sales person at our dealer who would probably even do 300 over invoice for you instead.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 08:45 PM   #3
themuffinman
Registered
Rep
Drives: (soon) 2013 BMW 135i

My credit is pretty great (mid 700's); no bad marks, all payments made on time. I make almost 6 figures a year in salary so Im not sure why I wouldnt be approved when I was approved for my current apartment lease which is 3 times what my car lease payment would be (the pains of living in the SF bay area).

Ive got an email in to another dealer that was recommended to me, so we'll see how that goes. If that falls through through, then I'll definitely take you up on that suggestion.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 08:52 PM   #4
oldmarco
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by themuffinman View Post
My credit is pretty great (mid 700's); no bad marks, all payments made on time. I make almost 6 figures a year in salary so Im not sure why I wouldnt be approved when I was approved for my current apartment lease which is 3 times what my car lease payment would be (the pains of living in the SF bay area).

Ive got an email in to another dealer that was recommended to me, so we'll see how that goes. If that falls through through, then I'll definitely take you up on that suggestion.
Then this shouldn't be required at all. I deal with our Aftermarket division or I would sell you a car myself but I can direct you to a sales adviser that is online/forum/mod friendly and won't string you around since I'd be the one referring you to him. So if you change your mind just send me an email and I'll hook you up.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 11:22 AM   #5
Everfly
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

What dealer is it? Seem very shady.
Appreciate 0