BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-28-2008, 10:58 PM   #1
DINAN135
Rep
Drives:

All Season Tires

What tires do you recommend for all season tires? I only want to use them in the winter, I have Pilots now but I ran into some snow in PA in my truck and decided it is time to change.
      10-29-2008, 05:31 AM   #2
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
If you're in Ct forget the all seasons unless you can leave your 1 in the garage every time it snows. If the 1 is your daily driver you need snows. If you don't want to have a dedicated set of wheels, you can put 225/40s snows on your 18" rims and then change back in the spring.
      10-29-2008, 10:41 AM   #3
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M-sport 328i, '13 X1 28i

+1. I call all-season tires "no-season". Just a bad compromise, IMO.
      10-29-2008, 10:54 AM   #4
NY SLC 93
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeo View Post
+1. I call all-season tires "no-season". Just a bad compromise, IMO.
+2, Stop the AS madness. A very bad compromise, not good in the snow and not good in the dry.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2008, 12:07 PM   #5
Heinzftw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2000 Civic+2008 Accord

Soo true. I remember my first time driving up to the snow. There was alot of "im going to fucking die" from the passengers. Curse you AS tires. :smile:

-█--------█-
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2008, 01:30 PM   #6
Ruffan
Rep
Drives: '09 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DINAN135 View Post
What tires do you recommend for all season tires? I only want to use them in the winter, I have Pilots now but I ran into some snow in PA in my truck and decided it is time to change.
For what it's worth, i replaced Eagle F1 summer tires on my old car with Pirelli P-Zero M&S All-seasons for the winter and loved them. I drove in (not that deep) snow without a problem for a full winter. The biggest advantage is that the M&S tires didn't get rock hard at winter temps and can still make use of the grip. The tread was also significantly better for snow than the F1's which were like grooved slicks. They were quiet on the highway, and although they obviously gave up dry grip, they were what I would consider excellent tires.
      10-30-2008, 08:24 AM   #7
Esmallstii
Systematic Chaos
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

A/S =Death
My wife has a mini Cooper, and we put a set of Blizzak LM-25 run-flats from Tire Rack on her Factory rims for the winter. WOW,..that thing is like a tank in the Upstate NY Snow now. Goes through snow better than my 4wd Tacoma w/ All seasons Mud & Snows.
Really is amazing what a good set of snows will do. Plus they are pretty tame on dry pavement as well.

Thread posted somewhere in the wheel / Tire forum from Gill that mentions a few excellent tires.
BSM/Coral red/Sp pkg/Cft access/Htd seats/BMW Performance Pedals, Spoiler, & Rotors/18" VMR V710's/Hankook Ventus/Cool Carbon Pads ."The 135i's engine sound is so ferocious and bittersweet, so carnal and wicked, somebody ought to name a heavy-metal band after it: Velvet Chain Saw."
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2008, 10:32 AM   #8
warmtoes
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: EBII 435i xDrive

I have also read that the PZero Nero M+S were very good A/S tires. But, if you are going to have two sets of tires there is no reason to get A/S. You have summers for summer and snows for winter.

If you were only going to have one set of tires then you look at A/S.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2008, 01:07 PM   #9
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY SLC 93 View Post
+2, Stop the AS madness. A very bad compromise, not good in the snow and not good in the dry.
That is simply not true - and I speak from personal experience.

I swapped the OEM Bridgestones 050 runflats from my 335i with Pirelli PZero Nero M+S sized +1 wider (235/265) and I gave up NOTHING in dry traction even in the hottest summer day. Absolutely nothing, and I can let anybody try out my car who thinks otherwise.

Instead I gained a less jarring ride, no skipping, better wet traction and a modicum of winter ability. As someone else posted, if it doesn't snow a lot in your area you are better off with all seasons, because they will retain much more dry/wet grip than a dedicated set of winters. In MD winter temperatures fluctuate wildly and IMO all seasons make a whole lot more sense as "winter" setup. (And use max perf summers for summer if you want the best).

I've had a 330i with winters for 4 years and didn't really have any measurable gain from the dedicated winter setup. YMMV.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2008, 02:06 PM   #10
vanbmw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 Black 335i

A good friend of mine has a bmw 330CI with high performance all season tires (Yokohama AVIDS I think). He said they were fine in the dry but he had some traction issues in 1st gear. The stock summers could handle an aggressive launch but the all seasons needed a little more care and attention. He said they handled okay but had a bit less grip then the summers. As far as snow driving..he said the first year he said the all season's plus traction control worked fine. He said he drove in a few descend dumps of snow and had no problem. However, the second winter the tires had about 60% tread left and he said it was terrible in the snow. He said it could get going with the help of traction control but he said it was very hard to stop and turn. The third winter he had snow tires.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2008, 02:26 PM   #11
Johnnyr135
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

I read good things about the pirelli AS and about the Bridgestone AS on tire rack. The summer times get rock hard and the I had high performance dunlop snow tires and they were all right on my 350z but I want to try a good all season tire, I do not need to drive the 1 in the snow so I don't need a dedicated snow tire.
      10-30-2008, 10:19 PM   #12
mikead_99
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 SMG 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
That is simply not true - and I speak from personal experience.

I swapped the OEM Bridgestones 050 runflats from my 335i with Pirelli PZero Nero M+S sized +1 wider (235/265) and I gave up NOTHING in dry traction even in the hottest summer day. Absolutely nothing, and I can let anybody try out my car who thinks otherwise.

Instead I gained a less jarring ride, no skipping, better wet traction and a modicum of winter ability. As someone else posted, if it doesn't snow a lot in your area you are better off with all seasons, because they will retain much more dry/wet grip than a dedicated set of winters. In MD winter temperatures fluctuate wildly and IMO all seasons make a whole lot more sense as "winter" setup. (And use max perf summers for summer if you want the best).

I've had a 330i with winters for 4 years and didn't really have any measurable gain from the dedicated winter setup. YMMV.
Dude, I hear you. I live in the same region as you and don't need snow tires for the little snow we get, it all gets cleared from the roads here pretty quickly anyway if and when we do get it. I did have to get something that wasn't brick hard in the cooler weather so I went with GY F1 AS myself. Loving the ride compared to the RFTs, and with the temps we have been seeing the grip is better than the Potenzas in a big way. Come spring I will store the AS tires, they may have all of 2,000 miles on them by then, and go to some nice non-RFT summers. There are conditions when a "winter setup" is needed, but snows are overkill. It all depends on where you live.
      10-31-2008, 06:23 AM   #13
mikead_99
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 SMG 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeak View Post
summer tires on one set of wheels
winter tires on a second set of wheels!!!

there you go!!!!
Yup, my OEMs have become my winter wheels, just no need for pure snows on 'em.
      11-06-2008, 01:37 PM   #14
gio
Captain
Rep
Drives:

I just bought a set of slighty used non-sport-package 128 wheels (all-season tires) to use as my winter wheels. I was planning on getting a new set of rims with winter tires from tirerack but I just couldn't resist getting these rims for the winter and it was a good deal as it included TPM sensors. I'm debating on whether to spend another $600 to get snows for the them or just leave the all-seasons on this winter and see how they work out. I live just outside Boston and while the 1 is my daily driver I do have the option of working from home on snowy days and my commute is not too bad (15 miles all highway). I guess if it looks like it's going to be a snowy winter I could always just get the snows and sell the tires as spares to my brother who just bought a 128.
      11-06-2008, 02:04 PM   #15
pit1
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

+1 on where you live
+3 Winter Set

Everyone's situation warrants different needs. In CT, no doubt go dedicated Winter. Personally, I'm running stock all year, I'll go public transit, telework, or ride with my wife if it snows. Drivers here are far too challenged, we need a mandated driver education program. If didn't have options and would go through the trouble to swap out I would go winter even in DC Metro. You take a performance hit either way, but at least I'd be prepared for a fluke snowfall or security with a trek up North. But to each his own, do what you think it best for you...(Winter set is best for you):wink:
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2008, 03:26 PM   #16
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pit1 View Post
+1 on where you live
+3 Winter Set

Drivers here are far too challenged, we need a mandated driver education program.
Personally, I think they are very good at what they do - such as driving very slowly down a snowy incline so as to not have the momentum to get up the other side. I believe one scores 5 points for every car one can block in this manner. Or the guys in Camaros & Mustangs driving in the left lane of the Beltway on worn A/S rubber and spinning out into the median!
After years of little snow, my plan is to sell the Dunlop M3 snow tires & steel wheels for my daily driver E46 and replace the worn out ContiSport 2 rubber with GY F1 A/S tires for year round use. The 128i will keep it's summer tires and stay in the garage when temps are near freezing. If this results in record snowfalls for our area, I apologise to you guys in advance.
And I agree, if I lived in CT, I'd keep the 2 sets of wheels & tires.
Tom
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2008, 03:06 PM   #17
trfortin69
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i Convertible

all seasons in the snow

I just got my 135i vert with all seasons and unfortunately I didn't get the sport package, the all seasons aren't that bad as long as you have something to drive during snows storms of 4 inches +. I had my car out during our recent two snow storms 18 inches plus and during the intial burst of snow 3-4 inches they actually performed pretty well. Keep in mind though in new england they do a great job of plowing and usually I can get around town without any issues. I definately wouldn't go on a trip with the all seasons but to putz around town they should be fine. I drove around all day today, the day after the storm and didn't slip and slide once. However if you get caught on a hill it may be a different story, then again if you get caught on a hill with winters you may have problems as well, there's only so much a tire can do with rear wheel drive. With that said if you have to drive far during snow storms or have only one car definately get snow tires, if you don't then stick with the all seasons. Considering I just bought this car the tread is in excellent condidtion and I'm assuming this is why it's so good in the snow. Next year may be a different story. :iono: