BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-03-2009, 04:25 AM   #23
takahashi
Retired trackie
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1///M

Can be stuffed looking at babybmw. What is the verdict?

I may give a call to BMW Melbourne and see what they can offer for you guys.
      12-03-2009, 04:13 PM   #24
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chappy View Post
I think i might get this installed i don't like aftermaket ones and outsiders tearing out the interior for a new system so this should be fine bmw said its already at a discounted price so no club discount poohey.
See how we go.
I'd challenge that, no where does it say it's at a discount.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2009, 04:38 PM   #25
chappy
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335 M-SPORT COUPE

This upgrade does not work for 10 speaker systems already as standard equipment in the 335 coupes bmw has just told me.
      12-03-2009, 04:46 PM   #26
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Wonder if it's the same for the 10spkr system in my 135...
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2009, 08:00 PM   #27
takahashi
Retired trackie
Australia
Rep

Booked it in for $1350 fitted GST inc. (I am tempted to put into the repayment too)

I think it worth it coz it will increase the value (a touch) at resale. If I put any other thing in ... it may even decrease in value. Will report.

Xmas present to myself...
      12-03-2009, 10:14 PM   #28
Brissie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by takahashi View Post
Booked it in for $1350 fitted GST inc. (I am tempted to put into the repayment too)

I think it worth it coz it will increase the value (a touch) at resale. If I put any other thing in ... it may even decrease in value. Will report.

Xmas present to myself...
My last car with $2000 factory upgrade Dynaudio system (with Dynaudio labels everywhere in the cabin) fetched not a single dollar extra at resale time. xmas present though is a good excuse to spend $
The problem i can see with the alpine upgrade is you are still left with the crappy factory underseat woofers powered by all 15w worth of factory headunit power, unless the alpine amp will power the woofers too?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2009, 10:27 PM   #29
bobbynoway
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Any amp upgrades options for those with the logic 7/professional systems?
I too think the subs are underpowered.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2009, 10:42 PM   #30
bc201
Australia
Rep
Drives: F31 330i

Garage List
2008 135i E88  [0.00]
bmw syd quote me $1,560.

Still thinking..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2009, 10:48 PM   #31
takahashi
Retired trackie
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw135fan View Post
My last car with $2000 factory upgrade Dynaudio system (with Dynaudio labels everywhere in the cabin) fetched not a single dollar extra at resale time. xmas present though is a good excuse to spend $
The problem i can see with the alpine upgrade is you are still left with the crappy factory underseat woofers powered by all 15w worth of factory headunit power, unless the alpine amp will power the woofers too?
You are getting too technical for me. I just want to listen to my Cantonese songs with slightly better sounds than my 7 year old RX-8's Bose system.

The appeals of BMW fitted is there. I will be put off buying a 2nd hand BMW with some speakers system that a "normal" person like me never heard off, even though it appearantly world class and cost a fortune to install. I just don't have the patient to experiment or research. Alpine from BMW for lazy ass like me - YAY!
      12-03-2009, 10:49 PM   #32
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You are getting too technical for me. I just want to listen to my Cantonese songs with slightly better sounds than my 7 year old RX-8's Bose system.
hen hao!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2009, 10:53 PM   #33
Brissie
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Ha! Ha!
The alpine upgrade will do then. Do you know if the idrive equipped car can show chinese characters on the h/u with songs from USB? I gather you have a non idrive car.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2009, 10:59 PM   #34
samchuang33
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: MY 16 440i & MY20 X7 30d

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbynoway View Post
Any amp upgrades options for those with the logic 7/professional systems?
I too think the subs are underpowered.
Even the individual audio is very lacking in the base area, very disappointed. Not enough thump IMO. I listen to Warren's focal speaker with stock sub speaker and it by far much better. Alll he did was change the front speaker and added a extra 4 channel amp powering the front stage and subs.

So I think adding a extra amp such as alpine PDX should do the trick for ppl with premium speakers.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2009, 11:15 PM   #35
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by samchuang33 View Post
Even the individual audio is very lacking in the base area, very disappointed. Not enough thump IMO. I listen to Warren's focal speaker with stock sub speaker and it by far much better. Alll he did was change the front speaker and added a extra 4 channel amp powering the front stage and subs.

So I think adding a extra amp such as alpine PDX should do the trick for ppl with premium speakers.
Anyone you could recommend in Bris Vegas to do the install?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2009, 12:22 AM   #36
takahashi
Retired trackie
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyv View Post
hen hao!
Cantonese... it is hun (very short and sharp un) ho (also short and fast).

Quote:
Ha! Ha!
The alpine upgrade will do then. Do you know if the idrive equipped car can show chinese characters on the h/u with songs from USB? I gather you have a non idrive car.
iDrive does not show Chinese or Japanese Kanji (which is what i am seeing in my song). As Kanji are chinese minus a few characters. So I get some display and some character missing.

I borrowed a 09 325i not long ago for 2 weeks. iDrive sat nav only have English, French and .... Polish? I will ask on Monday if I can get the Jap installed as there is iDrive in Japan.
      12-04-2009, 12:58 AM   #37
Brissie
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

iDrive does not show Chinese or Japanese Kanji (which is what i am seeing in my song). As Kanji are chinese minus a few characters. So I get some display and some character missing.

I borrowed a 09 325i not long ago for 2 weeks. iDrive sat nav only have English, French and .... Polish? I will ask on Monday if I can get the Jap installed as there is iDrive in Japan.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2009, 04:38 AM   #38
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by samchuang33 View Post

do you have the individual in your car? I tend to find the stock system more balanced - but I guess it's how much you are willing to spend. Without, putting too much weighs in your car .

I am never big in very loud base anyway, much preferred a balanced extension.

Should get halcro to design an amp for our cars and mate it with the focals. Or better still, get Meridian to design the whole system. I am in dream land again .
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2009, 04:39 AM   #39
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
bbk's the man to ask. .
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2009, 06:05 AM   #40
samchuang33
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: MY 16 440i & MY20 X7 30d

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
do you have the individual in your car? I tend to find the stock system more balanced - but I guess it's how much you are willing to spend. Without, putting too much weighs in your car .

I am never big in very loud base anyway, much preferred a balanced extension.

Should get halcro to design an amp for our cars and mate it with the focals. Or better still, get Meridian to design the whole system. I am in dream land again .
U guys should listen to Darrens system. For what he paid, i think it is really good. I think better than mine Individual audio....

Lol
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2009, 06:33 AM   #41
BBK
Banned
Rep
Drives: A boring one...

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
Quote:

Darren got Northfield at Moorooka to do it. They are probably the most experienced working with luxury cars and one of the only places I would trust (I used to manage a car audio store and was going to work for them too).

You want to speak with Drew, tell him Richard from the 'old' CAA (Car Audio Australia) sent you Won't hurt to mention you know a few 1 series guys that have been to him either.

The Focals Darren got I think are around the $5-600 mark. He used his own amp. Not sure how much he was charged to put it all in though.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2009, 07:16 AM   #42
Brissie
Lieutenant
Rep

The above mentioned store is fine if you are prepared to pay for it. The installation of an amp and door speakers without or without the underseat woofers are relatively simple. Any decent car audio shop should be able to do it. I installed mine myself, and I am a amateur who is far from experienced, though I did stuff up simply because I did not reconnect a plug back properly. However, no harm done, and it is all sorted.
If the 1 series alpine upgrade is the same as this :http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=182752

then it looks like it is the equivalent of the lowest range of alpine product. I am sure you can get better after market product for less. However, I do understand the peace of mind you get from a BMW installed product, which is why they charge more for everything, tinting, paint protection etc etc.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2009, 05:59 PM   #43
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Any idea which of the PDX Alpine amps would be best for the 135? Thanks for the tip about the installer too, I'll make sure to go see them.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2009, 07:03 PM   #44
BBK
Banned
Rep
Drives: A boring one...

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
Quote:
The above mentioned store is fine if you are prepared to pay for it. The installation of an amp and door speakers without or without the underseat woofers are relatively simple. Any decent car audio shop should be able to do it. I installed mine myself, and I am a amateur who is far from experienced, though I did stuff up simply because I did not reconnect a plug back properly. However, no harm done, and it is all sorted.

Agreed, you will probably pay a little more there, but you get what you pay for. Also agree that it is a relatively easy install, but you would be surprised how many installers/stores can get it wrong. I know and have seen some VERY dodgy work on simple installs. Used to get a lot of work from Autobarn/Strathfield that was horrid...

I am heading to Moorooka today to get some prices, will report back later!
Appreciate 0