BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-28-2011, 01:27 AM   #23
pcockley
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335

JB AS you know I go in next week for the magic triangle of AR DP's, ETS FMIC and ER CP (with meth bung for if and most likely when I find a source of meth).

Just wondering how loud the DP's alone (from an exhaust perspective) will be. I am really trying to go for the sleeper angle, well sleeper until I stop on the loud pedal....
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2011, 02:59 AM   #24
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Congrats! Make sure you wind out 3rd an 4th a couple times too

I love my dp's, I can't get enough of that smell when I'm waiting for my car to warm up lol. must be a true 1addict
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2011, 04:43 AM   #25
Gumball
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: A45

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcockley View Post
JB AS you know I go in next week for the magic triangle of AR DP's, ETS FMIC and ER CP (with meth bung for if and most likely when I find a source of meth).

Just wondering how loud the DP's alone (from an exhaust perspective) will be. I am really trying to go for the sleeper angle, well sleeper until I stop on the loud pedal....
Got the ETS intercooler and AR downpipes and the ER CP with Forge DP's.

Downpipes - Huge gain (JB4 map 2) - 265kw at the RW. Sound awesome when warm (turbo whistle). When cold its loud with the stock exhaust - not a big deal though.

ETS Intercoooler - made no difference to sound but car felt smoother.

ER CP with Forge DV's. Louder turbo whistle and blow off sound than stock but not annoying . I have the BMS DCI which makes everything seem louder though. No difference to performance. Only reason I did the charge pipe was to install meth in the future and to future proof it for higher boost.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2011, 06:44 AM   #26
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep
Drives: a sleeper

Quote:

The catless DPs give a metallic rasp to the exhaust and of course very noticeable turbo whistle. When you're off the loud pedal, it's exactly the same as stock. Cold starts are a fair bit louder though

IMO it doesn't give enough volume normally associated with exhaust note. The car does seem louder overall but that's when your foot is buried.

E82 135i M-sport: SGM/6MT/Black
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2011, 09:29 AM   #27
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08' 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley1175 View Post
I've had no problems at all with my meth kit and did the install myself.

It's been almost a month since I've had to fill the washer bottle so for me it's been smooth sailing all the way. I highly recommend it. Meth comes on every day I drive the car but I'm not on WOT for long on my commutes.
I fill up with petrol each week which is far more often than meth.

It's really an easy system to live with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBK View Post
+1

Plus if you go the FMIC, then meth later on, the improvement the FMIC has isn't very big once you have meth as it cools down the air a fair bit anyway.
Hmmm tempting - will have to look into it further!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeef Beef View Post
Nope, you can just order the CP now with the meth elbow and bung. My ER CP is meth ready!
ah ok fair enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post

I love my dp's, I can't get enough of that smell when I'm waiting for my car to warm up lol. must be a true 1addict
I try to but double demerit this weekend trying to stay under the radar

last night a e46 325 wanted to play with me but definitely not worth the risk of double demerit!

Quote:
The catless DPs give a metallic rasp to the exhaust and of course very noticeable turbo whistle. When you're off the loud pedal, it's exactly the same as stock. Cold starts are a fair bit louder though

IMO it doesn't give enough volume normally associated with exhaust note. The car does seem louder overall but that's when your foot is buried.
I also notice a nice bark when i upshift and stay on the gas (AT).
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2011, 10:10 AM   #28
Honny
Captain
Rep
Drives: Something

Quote:
I try to but double demerit this weekend trying to stay under the radar
last night a e46 325 wanted to play with me but definitely not worth the risk of double demerit!
E46 325i? was it silver with some bling ass rims? I had one tail gating me up my ass the other day.... thought I was slow doing 60 in well.... a 60 zone - I slowed right down to 50 so piss the guy off. We then pulled up next to each other at the lights and I taught him a lesson

In terms of double demerits - I haven't seen so much "badgeless" Commadores whom are police is not funny. Don't even think about speeding un till Monday morning.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2011, 06:15 PM   #29
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honny View Post
Don't even think about speeding EVER
FTFY.

Damn, I really am 40

Appreciate 0
      10-28-2011, 06:33 PM   #30
JB4-335
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 BSM & E70 AW

Quote:

That's awesome pcockley. Your car will come out a monster.
The DP's produce a really nice note. Not too loud at all. Just enough to hear your turbo's spool. Your gonna love it. You got the ETS just in time for summer.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2011, 06:36 PM   #31
JB4-335
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 BSM & E70 AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post

Yep, very tue. With the IC you'll have much more consistant power up top in 3rd & 4th.

You are a real addict Vinney. I have a set of Berk midpipes arriving soon so we'll see how full catless smells.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2011, 12:02 AM   #32
Honny
Captain
Rep
Drives: Something

Heard the beast in the morning!

YouTube clips don't do justice to this thing.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2011, 06:14 AM   #33
-satanic-
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i

Apologies for not knowing what all the acronyms stand for, but I'm assuming AR is a brand name? Links,Pics,Prices?

Also, are people modifying Dump Pipes, Mid Pipes, then the axle-back system (i.e. PE)? Or is the Dump & Mid all in one?

Again, apologies, have come from a world where the terminology is a little different.

Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2011, 06:56 AM   #34
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -satanic- View Post
Apologies for not knowing what all the acronyms stand for, but I'm assuming AR is a brand name? Links,Pics,Prices?

Also, are people modifying Dump Pipes, Mid Pipes, then the axle-back system (i.e. PE)? Or is the Dump & Mid all in one?

Again, apologies, have come from a world where the terminology is a little different.
AR is AR Design - http://www.ardesign.info/store/bmw-1...downpipes.html

I replaced the down (dump) pipes and the BMW performance systems comes with a bit of the mid pipes (replaces the stock resonator) and the axleback system.

I just did a few WOT runs just then - I notice that when I shift around 5500++ I get this really raspy sound like to the point that I am worried that it could be the pipe hitting something and making a grinding noise?

It only does this in high RPM shift.

I do notice that the exhaust sound gets very raspy after 5000 which I like but the sound that it makes during upshift is a lot stronger!

Please advise if it's normal so I can stop worrying

*edit* been reading about this rasp/pop between shift so that could be what I am hearing only is probably like 5x louder with the new setup.

Last edited by RaihaX; 10-29-2011 at 07:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2011, 06:56 AM   #35
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep

Quote:

AR = AR Design which is a brand name

DP = downpipes or dump pipes, this is what you modify to get power. Mid pipes and axle back give minimal gains and mostly just noise. I haven't heard of a system that's a dump and mid in one.

Of course, you need a tune that supports downpipes in order to harness the power. Otherwise you'll probably just throw codes

BMW PE = BMW performance exhaust. This is a midpipe + axleback system.

Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 02:23 AM   #36
-satanic-
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i

Thanks both for the translation

Re, dump and mid pipes in one, probably not a BMW thing, but definitely available for other makes. Perhaps the undercarriage is too complicated to have a one piece item.

Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 04:06 AM   #37
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
For anyone with DP's and BMW PE, have you noticed any/ much drone at 2-2.25k RPM cruising on the highway?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 04:14 AM   #38
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyv View Post
For anyone with DP's and BMW PE, have you noticed any/ much drone at 2-2.25k RPM cruising on the highway?
I can't hear a drone in my car.

My exhaust has changed tone slightly, the rasp up top sounds more refined now
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 04:25 AM   #39
mcmn
Captain
Rep
Drives: MY10 AW 135i

rai, how are you finding the power gains from the DPs? I need new tyres
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 05:02 AM   #40
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Thanks both for the translation

Re, dump and mid pipes in one, probably not a BMW thing, but definitely available for other makes. Perhaps the undercarriage is too complicated to have a one piece item.
Yep, that's what I meant, haven't heard of one for our 1ers Of course they are available in other applications.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaihaX View Post
I can't hear a drone in my car.

My exhaust has changed tone slightly, the rasp up top sounds more refined now
Refined enough for someone my age? I'm awaiting my PE eagerly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmn View Post
Should be ~ +20rwkw. Good tyres are a necessity.

Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 05:03 AM   #41
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep

Quote:
AR is AR Design - http://www.ardesign.info/store/bmw-1...downpipes.html

Please advise if it's normal so I can stop worrying

*edit* been reading about this rasp/pop between shift so that could be what I am hearing only is probably like 5x louder with the new setup.
Driving bmroxm5's 6AT 135i, I hear that pop on his stock exhaust. You must just be amplifying that with your setup.

The raspiness will die down when the DPs carbon up. Sounds like a damn racecar just out of the shop though!

Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 06:59 AM   #42
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmn View Post
The butt dyno can definitely - it is excellent I Must say.

Quote:
Refined enough for someone my age? I'm awaiting my PE eagerly.
Definitely who did you get it from? if its from united you should get it in no time!

Quote:
Driving bmroxm5's 6AT 135i, I hear that pop on his stock exhaust. You must just be amplifying that with your setup.

The raspiness will die down when the DPs carbon up. Sounds like a damn racecar just out of the shop though!
Ah ok that is what I thought just wanted confirmation. The first two days was definitely very raspy - that pop was scary loud!

On a side note I just took off my CF diffuser and put on my stock one again - the car doesn't look as good without it!

Hopefully the shop can fix my diffuser quickly and give it back to me looking brand new!
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 07:07 AM   #43
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianf2002 View Post
Still waiting for my PE ... 3 weeks
let us hope this week is the week Ian!
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 07:08 AM   #44
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Definitely who did you get it from? if its from united you should get it in no time!

Ah ok that is what I thought just wanted confirmation. The first two days was definitely very raspy - that pop was scary loud!

On a side note I just took off my CF diffuser and put on my stock one again - the car doesn't look as good without it!

Hopefully the shop can fix my diffuser quickly and give it back to me looking brand new!
BMR Autowerkes ordered it in for me. Not rush especially during uni exam period.

YOU YOUNG WHIPPERSNAPPERS AND YOUR CARBON FIBRE BITS.

Appreciate 0