01-13-2012, 08:36 PM   #23
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by l888apex View Post
Well it appears the baseline WHP rating was 300. Even with the "high" DT loss of 15% this corresponds to 345 HP. Not far off the BMW rating of 335 BHP (remember, different than WHP and flywheel numbers). This is on a Dyno Dynamics which reads similar to Mustang from what I've seen, so the 3 or so members who had around 295 and this one at 300 makes sense to me.

Also, I would disregard the flywheel horsepower numbers, as they are meaningless when measured from the wheels then converted with some factor.

In addition the run was done in 3rd gear. 5th gear in our cars has a perfect 1:1 gear ratio and I think pulls done there would be more accurate.
Got back and remembered the other thread from UK, here:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=545024

Check all the thread, lots of info. there, but especially don't miss the post 39.

As I said, in fact wouldn't change a thing for me to "know" what the real power and torque are, I like what I have anyway and I find it "optimistic" to totally believe in what BMW told us about the figures of this car. After all, they also told us that it makes 0-100km. in 4.9 sec. (0.1 slower than the official time of E92 M3 coupe, yet another very handy coincidence) Is that also a fact, since they have the best test pilots and facilities at hand, it should be the fact but the car is faster than 4.9 and faster than any stock M3 to 100kms, even if my mother drives it.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 07:03 AM   #24
robertm
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

Above post.

A much better number would have been the whp istead of some conversion to crank hp. Since we dont know what ratio he used to get to the numbers he claims its tough to compare to the OP dyno.

I think you're right though the car probably is a bit underrated from BMW. It sure feels it seat of the pants!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 10:03 AM   #25
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
faster than any stock M3 to 100kms, even if my mother drives it.
I wouldn't put any money on that especially against the DCT.

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 12:45 PM   #26
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post
You're not going to find many chassis dyno operators that would be comfortable with a car going 150 mph on their dynos!

Neil
Very true! I should have mentioned the pulls I posted were in 4th gear.

Not sure if entirely true, but a friend had gone to a dyno operator last yr (different car) and they allegedly said that 'max speed' on the dyno was stipulated in their insurance policy and refused to do 5th gear pulls because of that.

I'll go back next week again and document the exhaust delta (MadDad Midpipe + Akrapovic Slip-On), maybe I'll try and pursued them to give me one 5th gear pull
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0