BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-16-2011, 09:03 AM   #67
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by wan888 View Post
Quite right ...... why would any company out there waste time developing these things that won't even show off to anyone ... but VERY USEFUL!

Yes, backing plates are needed, but doesn't look like those will work with a 3" hose.

This is what I'd doing with mine.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=610281

Neil
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 06:17 PM   #68
Pete_vB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '69 GT3, GT4, 1M, 912

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJSchmooze View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_vB View Post
Paint, depending on color and the size of the car, weighs a bit over 20 lbs. White is a bit lighter than other colors (not kidding).
I have waited for this day to come, when you would finally put your two cents in on something you, my man, are DEAD WRONG in. As the son of the owner of an automotive bodyshop, for over 15 years may I add.... White is by far, the thickest, and heaviest pigment in the automotive toner spectrum.
Stick to what you know.
Link?

That's why aircraft are painted white, because it’s the heaviest? FedEx changed from purple to white on its planes a few years ago to save weight and fuel.

And race cars? Every Porsche GT3 Cup is delivered white, as are RSRs, Spyders, etc, and in fact race cars from most manufactures going back to the 60s. Before decals.

You need to know % solids in the paint or measure dry film thickness (with eddy current, etc) to get paint weight. The titanium in white paint is heavier, but the total dry film thickness is less than colors.

Happy to be proved wrong, if you've got proof.
      11-17-2011, 05:10 AM   #69
ChrisBuer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohcrap View Post

And if you like your car stock, great, enjoy that but maybe bashing every company that dares make aftermarket options (an option, as in you don’t have to buy it if you don’t want to), on a forum who's conversations are mostly about aftermarket modifications, may not be the most logical perspective to have in a performance forum context...
To be honest, I have no issues at all with modding a car. I was merely giving my opinion that the spoiler (or should I say spoilers as there are two) stuck to the back of the car look totally out of place. In fact, it would look out of place in a film like the Fast and Furious!

These bits add nothing to the performance and I'd even speculate that the huge wing that has been stuck on the back will actually make the car more unstable at high speed.

Exhausts, remaps, wheels, suspension, etc are all fine in my eyes if they are properly tested as they can enhance the car. Sticking an ironing board on the back of the car makes it look stupid.

This is my personal opinion, which I'm entitled to and it not intended to be an attack on anyone else who decides that they like these modifications.

BMW's should not be made to look like this....

Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 06:48 AM   #70
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBuer View Post
To be honest, I have no issues at all with modding a car. I was merely giving my opinion that the spoiler (or should I say spoilers as there are two) stuck to the back of the car look totally out of place. In fact, it would look out of place in a film like the Fast and Furious!

These bits add nothing to the performance and I'd even speculate that the huge wing that has been stuck on the back will actually make the car more unstable at high speed.

Exhausts, remaps, wheels, suspension, etc are all fine in my eyes if they are properly tested as they can enhance the car. Sticking an ironing board on the back of the car makes it look stupid.

This is my personal opinion, which I'm entitled to and it not intended to be an attack on anyone else who decides that they like these modifications.

BMW's should not be made to look like this....

Obviously this is a sensitive subject for the OP, I think it's best if we leave it alone, after all, didn't he speak of the "unexpressed thought" earlier in the thread? Maybe he wasn't referring to what his car is attempting to "express" (which I have yet to comprehend considering the lack of taste in my eyes) but it was merely a hint letting us know not to provide our opinions
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2011, 05:38 PM   #71
Powerbeast
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 RarriRot

Is that a new front bumper or just add on lip?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 11:54 AM   #72
wan888
Xman
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: E93 323ci

Here're some pictures of the same styling kit in a AW 1M without the rear spoiler for street use.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...=529852&page=9
E93 323ci (converted to M3 look)
Z3M Roadster (race prep)
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 09:36 AM   #73
Powerbeast
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 RarriRot

Anyone know where to get these parts?
Appreciate 0