BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-29-2010, 10:27 AM   #45
Elsabor67
aiming for 450.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: Totaled :-(

Garage List
2009 135i  [10.00]
Small update.........

Went to the closest BMW dealer in Amberg (Lell BMW) and was treated super nice by the staff (unlike Euler K-Town). I explained the guy what was happening to the car and showed him the paper that Euler gave me. He checked my key and checked the database and told me that all Euler did was update the software. On the key, it recorded the CEL's and the fuel pump fault. Car goes in the shop 8 June and the guy told me they are gonna replace the pump and filters.

Oh, and I also get a free rental.......not like Euler K-town that will charge you for a rental.

Updates when the car comes back from the shop.
      05-30-2010, 12:22 PM   #46
GemBm
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i, Spt Pkg,Nav,PDC,IPOD

Nik,

That's great man. I have an appt with Euler on the 8th (3rd one) for long cranks. The last two times they loaded new SW and said they repaired a fuel leak. Now I'm having the same intermittent long cranks! They better replace that HPFP this time.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2010, 03:37 PM   #47
Elsabor67
aiming for 450.....
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [10.00]
Completed and excellent!!!!!!!

Well,

She's finally home . Before I start off, Whoever is in the Graf/Vilseck area i would definetly recommend you to go to J.B. Lell BMW ( http://www.lell-bmw.de/ ) in Kummersbruck (Amberg). Unlike EULER Kaiserslautern, Lell BMW treated me like a true customer and had the car ready in the time they stated. And gave me a free rental , something EULER didn't and would have charged for.

When I went for my appointment, their customer service was top notch as the guy doing my paperwork explained to me what they were going to do and also stated to me that the way it looked, they were going to order the new pump anyways. After handing the keys I was given a 5 dr 118i (w/4 hamster pwr) but a hella cold ac that made up for it and a full tank of gas. Later in the day, I recieved a call from the dealer informing me that the pump was the main culprit since it was failing to build up sufficient pressure for startup and he also told me that it was showing some failure for normal operations.

When I picked up the car, treated with the same service as before and the maintenance person explained in detail what was done to include a service check from a bulletin about the rear light housing and leaks. Now my baby pulls like before and am very very happy.
      06-17-2010, 10:03 AM   #48
pavelitto
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i Performance

My dealer called me and said they updated the software and it is fine now... (I only had long cranks everyday before)
I'm pretty sure that once I pick up the car the problem will reoccur... but they say BMW won't let them replace pump now if it appears to be fine...
i wanted to remap my car next week and now I'm not sure if should I wait.
did any of you have the hpfp fixed by updating the software or whatever without replacing the pump itself?
      06-17-2010, 11:03 AM   #49
pavelitto
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I sent an email to my service rep and said to keep it overnight and test the cold start because I rather have the car fixed properly than have the fuel pump fail during high speed drive through Germany later next week as I'm going form UK to Poland.
But it appears they do what the bmw service manual says and prob first point is: upgrade software and if that won't help than they dig further...
      06-17-2010, 11:04 AM   #50
pavelitto
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Maybe I should have waited longer for more "serious problems" than long cranks but again it was so irritating...
      06-17-2010, 11:50 AM   #51
pavelitto
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRat View Post

You certainly don't want to wait until you have a serious accident or get stranded on the side of the road, to have your BMW properly repaired for a known safety defect...
Exactly but what can I do.... the whole software BS is really pissing me off. These are cars, not calculators...
      06-18-2010, 04:24 AM   #52
Elsabor67
aiming for 450.....
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [10.00]
Pavelitto,

Have you had any really, and I do mean really rough starts in the morning where the car sounds like its chocking and then you get a CEL light? If you haven't had that yet, even though it cranks for a bit at startup, they (Dealer) won't replace it because the pump is passing the diagnostics, therefore, they won't change it.

When I went to the dealer, I went with video proof and showed them all the times I got a CEL. When they did the second round of diagnostics on the pump since they knew I had the software. The pump failed on the initial pressure buildup. That was why minie got replaced.

I would do some recordings in the mornings if I was you. It helped me alot.
      06-18-2010, 06:03 AM   #53
pavelitto
Second Lieutenant
Rep

The engine starts were very rough every morning. to the point I thought: "This time it won't start" (sitting in the car, listening to the cranks for several seconds- close to 10 is not a pleasant experience)however once started the rpm was stabile and I didn't get the CEL light. Maybe I am at early stages of what happened to you. What was your mileage went it started happening? my is at about 41500 km
The dealer reset the system and updated the software and said it works fine now. And the BMW won't approve the fuel pump change if the are not fault codes present.

The pain is that reading all the post by others I know exactly what will happen next:
1. I will pick up my car
2. Drive for a week or two
3. Have the problem again
4. Take it back for a repair
5. Hopefully get the pump changed at this occasion.

The problem is that I will be traveling in two weeks time (1350km trip) and if the fault won't occur before, it will most definitely occur during the trip or after and so I will have to take it to the different dealer and explain what was done and what should be the next step (even though they should see it in the system, but its easier to convince same people the second time than convince new people for the first time)
      09-13-2010, 05:33 AM   #54
pavelitto
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Okay I had my really harsh start yesterday and the Engine Malfunction Light came up with reduced power ie Limp Mode. Im taking it to the dealer and want the new fuel pump/injectors or whatever is wrong with this car. Also when I was traveling through Germany 2 days ago I got Limp Mode twice: one when hard accelerating 5th to 6th gear at about 5,5 k rpm and another one in 6th gear at about 260km/h and 5,5 k rpm.
This sucks!
      10-03-2010, 12:08 PM   #55
kc_skyrider
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i M-Sport

I know noone wants to hear my ultimate "fix" but it worked amazingly well and my car was down all of 5hrs. I had long starts maybe 5sec so I thought it would hold out awhile, a couple days before deployment I was heading to bitburg for the drag races and about 10km out I got reoccuring limp modes with fuel pressure faults. I was driving with my laptop next to me constantly clearing them. (look great infront of all the guys in my shop to have our 2nd fastest car unable to make it down the autobahn). I got on the internet on my phone and called every BMW dealer within 200km till I found one with a HPFP in stock. I refused to be out a race and return from deployment with a 2009 car that didn't work and the $300 price tag was about what my labor was worth demodding my car. So I got the part and put it on the next day. I still could have raced if I had only remembered to plug in the dang knock sensor. So 5hrs of labor $300 no additional head ache no software update no putting up with eulers hatred of the Americans that are their bread a butter, and my car is running top notch.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2010, 10:05 AM   #56
LukyLuke
Rep
Drives: 135i cab - 520d (f10)

I had my HPFP replaced early this spring (car 07/2009) with 17000 km...
After hybernating last winter the car gave me some "Reduced Power" messages and failed to start correctly a few times. My dealer change the pump on warranty !
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2010, 05:10 PM   #57
hwelvaar
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i MT

I've had the HPFP replaced twice in 4 years time (120.000 KM)

I've read on the net that the 'software upgrade' for the N54 problem is more like a down-tune of the max performance delivered/requested from the pump.

It fixed my startup problems for a few months, but eventually the pump had to be replaced anyway.

Also, I've had like 20 engine limp conditions in the past 4 years. Dealer never really clarified why, but I suspect related to HPFP.

I drive european 335i, on 98 RON premium gas, so type of gas has nothing to do with HPFP problem.
Appreciate 0