BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-09-2009, 09:29 PM   #45
SlicktopTTZ
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 91 300ZX Twin-Turbo, 2010 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky G View Post
Nope, not by the numbers I've seen. But trust me, it's not about that anyway. When you really figure out how to drive stick, nothing at all beats that feeling of downshifting to give yourself an extra burst of power as you want to blast around someone. It's about being in control.
Or dropping the clutch in a turn to initiate a slide! Or controlling what gear to burnout in! If used properly some people have gotten really good mileage with manual due to coasting and perfect shift points. And there really isn't a better car related feeling than getting a perfect launch and 1-2-3 shift with a good gearbox or throwing down a perfect run at autocross. I get so involved that my hands are a little shaky right after it is over! But this is in my Z, if you drove it you would understand.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 10:54 PM   #46
BlackFlash
poseur (for now)
Canada
Rep
Drives: a piece-o-crap

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW328_ View Post
What's a 2009 MY demo. To the people that have a manual car... do you ever get into your car and wish you had an automatic?
A 2009 model year demo, i.e. a car a dealership got in late 2008 and have been letting people test drive or use as a loaner. Get one with a couple of thousand miles on it and it could easily be in your budget. And like I said, I expect most of the people who are going to haul ass during a test drive would opt for a 135i so a 128i would still likely be in great shape.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2009, 07:32 AM   #47
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
To the people that have a manual car... do you ever get into your car and wish you had an automatic?
Never (in over thirty years of driving sticks).
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2009, 08:03 AM   #48
Monterra
Captain
Rep
Drives: 15 X1 msport sdrive28

I don't think a GTI is a ricer and that (or something like that) is what you should be looking for imo. There are many reasons why it makes sense to work your way up through the car ranks and few to start out by dropping 30k. And no, never a regret about manuals, nothing but for 17 years and counting....longer than you've been around, dammit!
2009 Montego/terra 128i 6MT (ouch)...great car
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2009, 10:52 AM   #49
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Don't you have to replace the clutch after a while? Also, how long would it take to learn to use manual. My friend tried teaching me on his POS 2001 VW gti - ricer The most trouble I had was making the car move using the clutch from standing still. Shifting up was easy but not down.. Does it bother you to have to use two feet to brake?
You may have to replace the clutch if you abuse it or don't know how to use if properly. My WRX has 92,000 miles and is still on its original clutch. Each car is different, and it takes a little practice when learning, but the key is finding how much throttle to apply while letting out the clutch as it begins to catch. As mentioned, you don't need to use two feet to brake. I'm guessing whoever told you this didn't explain it fully. What they probably meant is that when coming to a stop, you would use one foot to apply the brake, and the other foot to press the clutch so the car doesn't stall when you come to a stop.

Oh, and GTI's aren't ricers unless that is the look your friend is going for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monterra View Post
There are many reasons why it makes sense to work your way up through the car ranks and few to start out by dropping 30k.
This is very true as most of us here have done just that.
      12-10-2009, 02:39 PM   #50
50shadesofhockenheim
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Toyota Prius

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post

Oh, and GTI's aren't ricers unless that is the look your friend is going for.

Loud exhaust tips that sounds too loud and they're hanging almost dragging on the ground. Spray painted rims with paint from an arts and crafts store. spray painted logos.

To everyone; is this a good deal, http://backwebs.homenetinc.com/offle...20605#tippytop
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2009, 03:27 PM   #51
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Loud exhaust tips that sounds too loud and they're hanging almost dragging on the ground. Spray painted rims with paint from an arts and crafts store. spray painted logos.

To everyone; is this a good deal, http://backwebs.homenetinc.com/offle...20605#tippytop
Yeah, it sounds like that GTI has seen better days. Regarding the 335 coupe in your link, I'm going to go ahead and say it. That's too much car for a 16 year-old learning to drive (ie: too much power).
      12-10-2009, 03:48 PM   #52
50shadesofhockenheim
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, it sounds like that GTI has seen better days. Regarding the 335 coupe in your link, I'm going to go ahead and say it. That's too much car for a 16 year-old learning to drive (ie: too much power).
I understand what your saying, but I still like fast.... I'm not a crazy driver like you would think. Most 16 year olds get there license and go crazy. I've been driving alone on my permit for the past 7 months (my mom lets me). I usually just go to the gym or to eat but I never drive recklessly.

Oh and about the car, does anyone know what the two lights mean. You can see them from a distance in one of the pics.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2009, 04:00 PM   #53
bmwsam
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i M-Sport

Garage List
2012 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Oh and about the car, does anyone know what the two lights mean. You can see them from a distance in one of the pics.
Are you talking about the daytime running lights?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2009, 04:04 PM   #54
50shadesofhockenheim
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwsam View Post
Are you talking about the daytime running lights?
no on the dash by the speedometer, 8th picture
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2009, 09:49 PM   #55
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
I understand what your saying, but I still like fast.... I'm not a crazy driver like you would think. Most 16 year olds get there license and go crazy. I've been driving alone on my permit for the past 7 months (my mom lets me). I usually just go to the gym or to eat but I never drive recklessly.

Oh, I've heard that before. Most people like a fast car, but trust me, learn to drive a slow car fast first (preferably with a manual) before stepping into something like a 335. In the picture, the lights on the dash are probably the seatbelt indicator and the TPMS.
      12-10-2009, 10:23 PM   #56
50shadesofhockenheim
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Oh, I've heard that before. Most people like a fast car, but trust me, learn to drive a slow car fast first (preferably with a manual) before stepping into something like a 335. In the picture, the lights on the dash are probably the seatbelt indicator and the TPMS.
If the TPMS light is on, doesn't that mean that there is a nail in the tire or something?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2009, 10:40 PM   #57
bmwsam
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i M-Sport

Garage List
2012 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
If the TPMS light is on, doesn't that mean that there is a nail in the tire or something?
Or the pressure in one of the tires is low or the sensor itself is off and needs to be recalibrated
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2009, 01:43 AM   #58
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Honda S2000, 2017 GT350

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.35]
2014 BMW i3  [10.00]
Quote:

Sad to say it, but you sound just like the kid who died driving his dad's M5. You come on here asking for advice, might want to consider taking some. I mean you don't even have your license yet and some of these guys have been driving for 30+ years.

You say you aren't a crazy driver now, but you obviously never driven a 300hp car. All it takes is a guy from your school in his Mustang revving at you at a light in front of all the girls and I'm willing to bet your logic will fly out the window. Hell, I'm 32 years old and it's still tough to let things like that go sometimes. I've done some stupid things in my early driving years and luckily the cars I had to drive had much less than 140hp.

My pet project: https://stickershift.com
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2009, 02:10 AM   #59
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Heres the deal. I was 17 when I went halfsies on my 135i with my dad.

I was going to buy something much slower, a used Audi A3, but then I got a 90% ride to my uni and my dad thought that I should have fun.

Wait until you get into college, see what your debt will be, and then make an informed descision.

edit:
Radian I like the Mustang analogy, there were 3 guys at my highschool that drove Mustangs...they all tried to get me to race them. Always said, ok, lets drive out to englishtown, or ill meet you at a track or an autox, I recommend the same response for anybody else in my situation. Funny how they never showed up when it was time to really race.

Also, a new BMW at a highschool is not something of adoration, people get pretty sick of it, and in the process sick of you.

And why dont you like driving a manual? I love driving stick, I sometimes wish that my 135i was a stick, but hey, I figure that when I retire the 135i from DD I will buy something with a stick...too much fun to ignore.

Appreciate 0
      12-11-2009, 09:57 AM   #60
BlackFlash
poseur (for now)
Canada
Rep
Drives: a piece-o-crap

Quote:
Heres the deal. I was 17 when I went halfsies on my 135i with my dad.
Didn't you say in another thread that you bought your vert yourself? Now it's "halfsies" with your dad? lol :P
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2009, 10:22 AM   #61
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackFlash View Post
Didn't you say in another thread that you bought your vert yourself? Now it's "halfsies" with your dad? lol :P
I couldnt make payments on my own, so hes helping me now...haha

To be fair tho, hes a bit addicted aswell

Appreciate 0
      12-14-2009, 01:34 PM   #62
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
Sad to say it, but you sound just like the kid who died driving his dad's M5. You come on here asking for advice, might want to consider taking some. I mean you don't even have your license yet and some of these guys have been driving for 30+ years.

You say you aren't a crazy driver now, but you obviously never driven a 300hp car. All it takes is a guy from your school in his Mustang revving at you at a light in front of all the girls and I'm willing to bet your logic will fly out the window. Hell, I'm 32 years old and it's still tough to let things like that go sometimes. I've done some stupid things in my early driving years and luckily the cars I had to drive had much less than 140hp.
My thoughts exactly.
      12-14-2009, 01:40 PM   #63
DVDA
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: women crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky1 View Post
Blowing your hard earned money on an expensive car is a dumb idea for anyone period. There I said it.
I put a down payment on a house instead of buying a 350z when i was 20
      12-14-2009, 01:55 PM   #64
DVDA
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: women crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post

Quote:
does everyone here drive manual. And If anyone knows someone that selling a 128i within 50 miles of zip 33434 please tell me. License in 43 days
Agreed, just be careful little dude, since you live in Boca just remember the 3 kids who drowned a few weeks in Coral Springs. That driver had his license for a short time.

Also you may not remember this as it was about 8 years ago, my friend was killed in an auto wreck on Loxahatchee Road (In Boca). He wasnt driving but his friend (a new driver) was speeding down that road and hit a guard-rail.

If your parents buy you a fast-luxury automobile enjoy it, cruise around, dont speed like a mad man. A) You could lose your life and B) If you dont lose your life in the wreck, you lose your car.

When you've learned to drive and get the need for speed, drive up to Palm Beach Raceway (Formerly Known as Moroso). There you can drag race or track race until your heart is content. It is a controlled enviroment so the risk of accident are less than trying to do 150 on Glades Rd. Plus if you do crash there are always paramedics standing by
      12-14-2009, 06:47 PM   #65
OneThirtyFiveEye
Rep
Drives: 135i

First of all I think you should get it with the 6MT. When I got my first car about 4 years ago I was debating between getting a manual or auto and I am very happy I chose to get a manual. I must admit tho that the first week or so I was frustrated by my lack of stability off the line. After a couple of weeks it became much more natural and I'd say that after a month I felt like a pro.

On the other hand, if I was in your shoes I wouldn't get a BMW as a first car. Regardless of what you say you can't be great driver and you will get into accidents or fender benders and it'll cost you and it'll also most probably increase your insurance costs down the line.

My first car was a 06 Civic 5mt and it was a blast to drive. Plenty of power for a beginner and it really teaches you how to drive a car to its true potential. At that age there is much more you could be doing with you or your parents money. Also, to be truly honest your really don't seem like your that responsible to be able to handle the 230HP RWD car that the bmw is. You don't even have your license and your out driving by yourself with your moms approval?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2009, 09:26 PM   #66
50shadesofhockenheim
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneThirtyFiveEye View Post
You don't even have your license and your out driving by yourself with your moms approval?
Yeah.... 38 days and it legal
Appreciate 0