BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-23-2011, 06:29 PM   #23
TurboBullett@Ambient Thermal Management
Major
TurboBullett@Ambient Thermal Management's Avatar
Rep
Drives: 2012 Abarth 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuchi View Post
I believe 275-285whp
If you get a chance could you do a dyno with the accessports built in dyno? It would be great to see if the power band is the same or similar and would go a long way in analyzing if the built in dyno calibration is correct! Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 07:03 PM   #24
SilverII
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 335IS

Garage List
2011 BMW 335IS  [9.66]
wow...geez
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 07:52 PM   #25
Broham
Rep
Drives: soon to be 135i

Congrats on these numbers. It was nice meeting you at Moore auto. This is my first time going out there for a dyno day. I was on the fence real bad about the capability of this engine, since I thought it'd need tons of work to break 400, but that 450tq was an awakening. I searched for the 135 forums as soon as i got back to do more reading. In the evo community you can achieve high numbers, but not on stock turbos and 18psi, it's just not going to happen. I didn''t realize the 135 can get there without upgrading the turbos and on pump. Coming to the next dynoday? I'll be dynoing then and I'm sure you'll up the turbos or boost to break 500 tq!.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 08:56 PM   #26
Experimental
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 328d M-sport Wagon

Quote:
Cobb Stage 2+ requires FBO
Very nice numbers!!! I'm impressed. I've got to wonder what the numbers at the crank are pushing!

It looks like Cobb requires upgraded FMIC, upgraded intake of any kind, and downpipes (catted or catless). Catback exhaust is recommended.

How are your coolant and oil temps running?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 09:21 PM   #27
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi A4

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
If you're worried about heatsoak with catless dp's and an HPF FMIC then going back to the stock intake will do you no good, infact it will restrict airflow which will hurt your power up top. Especially seeing as you're running an aggressive tune, the turbos NEED the most airflow with the least amount of restriction. Honestly I doubt that you are actually "heatsoaking" with what you have on the car, I figure you're probably going by coolant/oil temps being a bit higher than normal which is to be expected with the tune you are running. Ive tried to say this plenty of other times, Ill say it again. If you want your coolant/oil temps lowered you need to worry about how this engine is primarily cooled, its a watercooled engine. The radiator and coolant mix we have in our cars is meant for stock power, once you raise that power curve dramatically, you need to raise the bar on your watercooling as well. This comes in the form of an additional/performance radiator much like the one included in the stage 2 bmw perf kit. Also, using a diff coolant ratio/mix helps alot as well. If you havent done anything with your coolant yet, than you're likely still running regular coolant. You need atleast a 50/50 mix of distilled water and coolant. Can also add WaterWetter from Redline http://www.hpashop.com/product.sc?pr...categoryId=286

Its too bad DCI's still get such a bad rap for causing heatsoak on 1ers that are tuned, its like its just the one thing that people instinctively blame
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 09:32 PM   #28
RnmEvo9
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broham View Post
In the evo community you can achieve high numbers, but not on stock turbos and 18psi, it's just not going to happen. I didn''t realize the 135 can get there without upgrading the turbos and on pump. Coming to the next dynoday? I'll be dynoing then and I'm sure you'll up the turbos or boost to break 500 tq!.
Last time I checked, Evo's only have one turbo and 18psi is lower than stock boost. Stock Evo's peak at about 20psi and drop down to redline and they can make over 400awhp on stock turbo (if you have the 10.5 hotside like on the 05-06 Evo's). I made 414awhp/404awtq on a local dynojet with bolt on mods and E85 on my Evo9 with stock turbo. But yeah, in order to make some real power, a stock appearing turbo upgrade is the way to go really fast , but then you'd have to build the block.

Needless to say, its rather dumb to compare different platforms as they make power differently.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 09:42 PM   #29
135iiiiii
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 135i ///M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by thez99 View Post
Its too bad DCI's still get such a bad rap for causing heatsoak on 1ers that are tuned, its like its just the one thing that people instinctively blame
+1

BTW, amazing numbers OP. Congrats

JB4:Injen:NPG DP/Exhaust:BSH OCC:BTIC:Alpine:Icarbon:
Turbosmart:ER:KW V1:VMR 710:Nitto.......and METH
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 09:58 PM   #30
Yuchi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i M-Sport Package

Quote:
If you're worried about heatsoak with catless dp's and an HPF FMIC then going back to the stock intake will do you no good, infact it will restrict airflow which will hurt your power up top. Especially seeing as you're running an aggressive tune, the turbos NEED the most airflow with the least amount of restriction. Honestly I doubt that you are actually "heatsoaking" with what you have on the car, I figure you're probably going by coolant/oil temps being a bit higher than normal which is to be expected with the tune you are running. Ive tried to say this plenty of other times, Ill say it again. If you want your coolant/oil temps lowered you need to worry about how this engine is primarily cooled, its a watercooled engine. The radiator and coolant mix we have in our cars is meant for stock power, once you raise that power curve dramatically, you need to raise the bar on your watercooling as well. This comes in the form of an additional/performance radiator much like the one included in the stage 2 bmw perf kit. Also, using a diff coolant ratio/mix helps alot as well. If you havent done anything with your coolant yet, than you're likely still running regular coolant. You need atleast a 50/50 mix of distilled water and coolant. Can also add WaterWetter from Redline http://www.hpashop.com/product.sc?pr...categoryId=286

No no, I'm not at all blaming just the DCI for heat soak. I would just like to see the difference between the two since there's so much debate about it. Heat soak on my DCI isn't going to make a huge difference anyway.
2009 BSM with Coral Red interior 135i: ///M-Sport Package // 20% tints //Cobb Protune by ProTuning Freaks// Carbon Fiber trunk lip spoiler // ADV.1 adv10 trakfunctions// H&R front and rear sway bars // Injen dual cone// CP-e full catback exhaust// AR catless downpipes // HPF FMIC // Quaife LSD // LUX Angel Eyes // Eibach Pro-Street S
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 09:59 PM   #31
Yuchi
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Experimental View Post
Very nice numbers!!! I'm impressed. I've got to wonder what the numbers at the crank are pushing!

It looks like Cobb requires upgraded FMIC, upgraded intake of any kind, and downpipes (catted or catless). Catback exhaust is recommended.

How are your coolant and oil temps running?

My oil temp is around 250-255 after "spirited" drives
2009 BSM with Coral Red interior 135i: ///M-Sport Package // 20% tints //Cobb Protune by ProTuning Freaks// Carbon Fiber trunk lip spoiler // ADV.1 adv10 trakfunctions// H&R front and rear sway bars // Injen dual cone// CP-e full catback exhaust// AR catless downpipes // HPF FMIC // Quaife LSD // LUX Angel Eyes // Eibach Pro-Street S
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 10:01 PM   #32
Yuchi
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Congrats on these numbers. It was nice meeting you at Moore auto. This is my first time going out there for a dyno day. I was on the fence real bad about the capability of this engine, since I thought it'd need tons of work to break 400, but that 450tq was an awakening. I searched for the 135 forums as soon as i got back to do more reading. In the evo community you can achieve high numbers, but not on stock turbos and 18psi, it's just not going to happen. I didn''t realize the 135 can get there without upgrading the turbos and on pump. Coming to the next dynoday? I'll be dynoing then and I'm sure you'll up the turbos or boost to break 500 tq!.
When is the next dyno day? I will probably bring the GT-R
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 10:02 PM   #33
cooler2442
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 1/18 Monte Carlo Blue E92 M3

Garage List
Girl with a GT-R? Are you single?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 10:04 PM   #34
Broham
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RnmEvo9 View Post
Last time I checked, Evo's only have one turbo and 18psi is lower than stock boost. Stock Evo's peak at about 20psi and drop down to redline and they can make over 400awhp on stock turbo (if you have the 10.5 hotside like on the 05-06 Evo's). I made 414awhp/404awtq on a local dynojet with bolt on mods and E85 on my Evo9 with stock turbo. But yeah, in order to make some real power, a stock appearing turbo upgrade is the way to go really fast , but then you'd have to build the block.

Needless to say, its rather dumb to compare different platforms as they make power differently.
I wont even compare them seriously, they are too different. I'll be dynoing the fp black to see what happens next time, but I still have my eye on the torque loving 135. I won't build the block just yet, I'll just keep the tq below 400 for now. Not to digress, but what is the tq limit for these 135s? Obviously 450 plus is pretty high already.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 10:10 PM   #35
RnmEvo9
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooler2442 View Post
LMAO!!

FP Black huh? Pump gas or E85? Please say E85, then again you would have to build the block for that. Built motor + FP black + E85 = modded Z06 killer.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 10:10 PM   #36
Broham
Rep

Quote:
When is the next dyno day? I will probably bring the GT-R
I'll talk to the guys at the shop to do 1 more before the year ends. Final date not set yet. I'd like to see what the R puts down! Any mods on gtr yet?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 10:14 PM   #37
Yuchi
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooler2442 View Post

Quote:
I'll talk to the guys at the shop to do 1 more before the year ends. Final date not set yet. I'd like to see what the R puts down! Any mods on gtr yet?

Okay sweet, I'll keep an eye out for the event. Midpipes will be on tomorrow morning. So it'll be nice to get a "baseline". It will have the p800 kit in the spring
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 10:21 PM   #38
cooler2442
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 1/18 Monte Carlo Blue E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
I will take that as a yes. Planning to visit Los Angeles anytime soon?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 10:23 PM   #39
RnmEvo9
Banned
Rep

What year GTR? I know the new ones put out quite a bit more power than the older ones. I saw an older model putting down 435awhp bone stock on a dynojet while I was having my Evo tuned that day.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 10:23 PM   #40
Broham
Rep

Quote:
LMAO!!

FP Black huh? Pump gas or E85? Please say E85, then again you would have to build the block for that. Built motor + FP black + E85 = modded Z06 killer.
Yeah man I'll tune for e85 along with pump. I'm still debating between long rod 2.4 or 2.3 stroker.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 10:27 PM   #41
Broham
Rep

Quote:

Okay sweet, I'll keep an eye out for the event. Midpipes will be on tomorrow morning. So it'll be nice to get a "baseline". It will have the p800 kit in the spring
p800? That is going to be a lot of power on the streets. Gotta think though, will it be too much and lose the comfortness of stock? Probably not, but I have no doubt you'll do 9s. Careful with that trans though, I'm not sure how it holds up to such tq
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 10:49 PM   #42
Yuchi
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
What year GTR? I know the new ones put out quite a bit more power than the older ones. I saw an older model putting down 435awhp bone stock on a dynojet while I was having my Evo tuned that day.
2009...newer one is a beast!

Quote:
p800? That is going to be a lot of power on the streets. Gotta think though, will it be too much and lose the comfortness of stock? Probably not, but I have no doubt you'll do 9s. Careful with that trans though, I'm not sure how it holds up to such tq
Not sure whether I want Switzer or AMS. AMS has the fastest built GTR right now.

AMS Alpha 9 claims it'll drive like stock until WOT
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 02:38 AM   #43
Experimental
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 328d M-sport Wagon

Quote:
My oil temp is around 250-255 after "spirited" drives
That's not bad at all. Have you done anything for extra cooling capacity?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 06:32 AM   #44
Dr_Dirt
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i 6AT

Quote:

Why would you recommend 50/50 coolant ratio?????

Fyi 100% water will give you the best cooling capability you should add as little glycol as you can get away with without letting your engine freeze in the winter.
Appreciate 0