BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-21-2013, 09:30 AM   #23
BEAR-AvHistory
2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convrt

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twhill19 View Post
yes i realize that. more of a temporary thing before cobb comes out for me. but considering my others mods i thought it should account for maybe 30-40 hp
The only thing you have that will help generate power is the down pipes. 15/20hp. The rest is mostly cosmetic.

The one thing that surprised me was the loss in WHP after the first pull. I would have expected the FMIC to help maintain the power. I run a 5" ETS & its been very effective against heat soak.

2022 M4C - 2020 Z4 M40i - 2023 FORD Expedition XLT Max 4X4 400BHP - 2009 V-Star - 1998 Ranger 4X4 5MT - 1965 Cobra (R) 5MT - 2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 6MT
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 10:01 AM   #24
NORAGRETS
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3 ZCP BSM 2012 E82 1

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory View Post
The only thing you have that will help generate power is the down pipes. 15/20hp. The rest is mostly cosmetic.

The one thing that surprised me was the loss in WHP after the first pull. I would have expected the FMIC to help maintain the power. I run a 5" ETS & its been very effective against heat soak.
yeah i was kinda shocked about that too...the 16 hp drop or whatever it was...i honestly think if i go again in ideal conditions 55 degrees and normal humidity...i can put down 340-350...but maybe im wrong

RIP - E82 135i - 7/7/2021
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 10:49 AM   #25
Brix
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18' Grigio Telesto F80-6MT

Quote:
yeah i was kinda shocked about that too...the 16 hp drop or whatever it was...i honestly think if i go again in ideal conditions 55 degrees and normal humidity...i can put down 340-350...but maybe im wrong
I think you need stage 3 for those numbers. If you watch that dinan video. His stage 3 car puts down ~320whp. You already have that.. I think the stage 3 flash plus you mods should give you ~340. I hope I'm wrong. Either way your car is running strong. Especially in 96 deg heat
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 12:19 PM   #26
loesch
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brix View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Ce7k-OMCCDo

At the end of the vid, steve says part deux installment will feature stage III with an upgraded compressor wheel matching n54 power...
That video made my day. Good to hear Dinan supports the idea that the N55 is a decent platform. Vargas had a modified wheel at Bimmerfest Saturday. Didn't get a chance to talk to them though. I'll be checking more into that.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 01:03 PM   #27
1911A145
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

You are above avg. for your numbers honestly.

Was there a fan in front of the intercooler?
Was the hood open for the runs?

I would wait for COBB to come out with something before changing over. The tune you have now is way too conservative. You just are not going to make any more power with that flash. It's all in the tune and you have the proper supporting mods. Call COBB up and light a fire under there ass. I am not a fan, at all, of piggy backs either...

You don't need a new wheel for your goals. You need a new tune.

393 RWHP / 434 RWTQ
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 01:24 PM   #28
dknl
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: none

I've tried both tunes and both cars are daily drivers. JB4 is n54 and Cobb is N55...Both have no issues in terms of codes and problems. Both cars no mods but tunes and JB4 destroys the cobb car each & everytime without even trying. The JB4 N54 car has more than double miles to date simply bcuz its more fun to drive.

No issues with both tunes...just matter of which u like better.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 02:05 PM   #29
Clovef
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

A flash tune like Cobb or Dinan has the boost mapped, meaning more mods does not equal more boost and you won't see much in the way of gains. So, if you are running 15lbs of boost by the dinnan tune and then add a bigger intercooler you will still be targeting 15lbs of boost and making pretty much the same power. More mods when you have a flash tune will not make more power, or at least not much. A piggy back tune will read the inputs and adjust to make more power but a flash tune is static. The car will due what the flash tune tells it to no matter if you have more mods than needed or not enough. In fact, if you change the car too much from what the flash tune was designed with your car will run worse. That means if you change mods on a flash tune you should adjust the tune to account for those mods. You have no way to adjust your dinnan tune so you should not venture far from the mods that the tune is designed with. That is why Cobb has different maps for different levels of modifications and Access Race Tunner to adjust them even more. With the mods listed, you would make more power with a JB4 or Procceds piggy back tunes. It is my opinion that Cobb is the only acceptable flash tune availiblle due to this need to customize static flash tunes. I know it is not available for your car just yet so you should keep in mind the limitations of the Dinnan tune. That tune is designed for a car that is different from yours, it will never be able to take advantage of your additional modifications.
2011 BMW 135i DCT M Sport, black sapphire metallic,Coral red tint, black line tail lights, back grils, BMW Performance spoiler, Apex ARC8, 235/265 Dunlop ZIIs, Ohlins coilovers w/ Swift springs, M3 front bits, Whiteline rear sub frame bushings, Vorshlag camber plates, Stoptech pads, stud conversion, spacers, bms intake
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 02:15 PM   #30
1911A145
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dknl View Post
I've tried both tunes and both cars are daily drivers. JB4 is n54 and Cobb is N55...Both have no issues in terms of codes and problems. Both cars no mods but tunes and JB4 destroys the cobb car each & everytime without even trying. The JB4 N54 car has more than double miles to date simply bcuz its more fun to drive.

No issues with both tunes...just matter of which u like better.

And an N54 COBB will DESTROY an N55 JB car. What's your point? I've never had a JB car beat mine... and I've raced many...

apples to oranges here.

393 RWHP / 434 RWTQ
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 02:23 PM   #31
dknl
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911A145 View Post

And an N54 COBB will DESTROY an N55 JB car. What's your point? I've never had a JB car beat mine... and I've raced many...

apples to oranges here.
ur definitely right apples to oranges..
n54 obviously more potent.

My point being both tunes are solid and reliable and shouldnt be the decision maker.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 02:32 PM   #32
1911A145
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dknl View Post
ur definitely right apples to oranges..
n54 obviously more potent.

My point being both tunes are solid and reliable and shouldnt be the decision maker.
true.

OP, look at what both can offer you plus what you expect in each of them too. then make a decision.

393 RWHP / 434 RWTQ
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 03:46 PM   #33
cheshirecat79
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 370z & 135i

Opt for the JB4. I think the performance difference will help you get over the extra wires.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 08:49 PM   #34
NORAGRETS
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=374508

ive gone over this A LOT. but alas, it is n54 stuff and not exactly relevant to n55. n54 is def more tuneable, but n55 is still new...i hope it starts to break the numbers n54 guys have been putting down in a year or so.

all good opinions, i am not going to argue with any of your points of differentiation/positive/negatives. every tune has its benefits...but i do think cobb and jb4 are the most used/user friendly of those available...

ill re-hold my breath for cobb haha

Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 09:18 PM   #35
NORAGRETS
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clovef View Post
A flash tune like Cobb or Dinan has the boost mapped, meaning more mods does not equal more boost and you won't see much in the way of gains. So, if you are running 15lbs of boost by the dinnan tune and then add a bigger intercooler you will still be targeting 15lbs of boost and making pretty much the same power. More mods when you have a flash tune will not make more power, or at least not much. A piggy back tune will read the inputs and adjust to make more power but a flash tune is static. The car will due what the flash tune tells it to no matter if you have more mods than needed or not enough. In fact, if you change the car too much from what the flash tune was designed with your car will run worse. That means if you change mods on a flash tune you should adjust the tune to account for those mods. You have no way to adjust your dinnan tune so you should not venture far from the mods that the tune is designed with. That is why Cobb has different maps for different levels of modifications and Access Race Tunner to adjust them even more. With the mods listed, you would make more power with a JB4 or Procceds piggy back tunes. It is my opinion that Cobb is the only acceptable flash tune availiblle due to this need to customize static flash tunes. I know it is not available for your car just yet so you should keep in mind the limitations of the Dinnan tune. That tune is designed for a car that is different from yours, it will never be able to take advantage of your additional modifications.
100% agree with everything you said, just more hopeful than i should have been i guess

Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 09:58 AM   #36
NORAGRETS
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911A145 View Post
You are above avg. for your numbers honestly.

Was there a fan in front of the intercooler?
- yes but again, 98 degrees...
Was the hood open for the runs?
- 1st 2 it was open, 3rd closed

I would wait for COBB to come out with something before changing over. The tune you have now is way too conservative. You just are not going to make any more power with that flash. It's all in the tune and you have the proper supporting mods. Call COBB up and light a fire under there ass. I am not a fan, at all, of piggy backs either...
- you mean complain to dinan until they refund me?

You don't need a new wheel for your goals. You need a new tune.
-lol true

Appreciate 0
      09-15-2016, 08:54 AM   #37
NORAGRETS
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
BIG OL' UPDATE ON THIS:

JUST FOUND OUT, DINAN STAGE 2 WAS NEVER INSTALLED ON MY CAR...

F-That dealer HARD! 3 YEARS!!!!!!! I had paid for Dinan Stage 2! 3 YEARS!

Luckily a awesome, honest, hardworking tech at another dealer (YOU'LL NEVER READ THIS BUT YOU'RE THE MAN!!!!) noticed that stage 1 was present on the car during a reprogramming due to navigation/vanos/eccentric shaft/motor replacement last week....

Needless to say, both of us were shocked....that tech (angel) spent 5+ hours!!! trying to get Dinan Stage 2 flashed onto the car, after 4 freezes around 90%....angel-tech, stayed until 9PM! to finish my car, and get the proper flash on the DME.

THE MAN!

BIG DIFFERENCE!

most likely WILL NOT dyno it bc not really necessary...but hey, anyone looking for dinan stage 1 #'s, this is your thread

Appreciate 0
      09-15-2016, 10:31 AM   #38
Dylanize
Captain Dutch Rudder
Rep
Drives: AMG

Quote:
BIG OL' UPDATE ON THIS:

Luckily a awesome, honest, hardworking tech at another dealer (YOU'LL NEVER READ THIS BUT YOU'RE THE MAN!!!!) noticed that stage 1 was present on the car during a reprogramming due to navigation/vanos/eccentric shaft/motor replacement last week....

Needless to say, both of us were shocked....that tech (angel) spent 5+ hours!!! trying to get Dinan Stage 2 flashed onto the car, after 4 freezes around 90%....angel-tech, stayed until 9PM! to finish my car, and get the proper flash on the DME.

THE MAN!

BIG DIFFERENCE!

most likely WILL NOT dyno it bc not really necessary...but hey, anyone looking for dinan stage 1 #'s, this is your thread
Duuuude! That sucks! Glad you got it sorted tho!

Now your numbers make a lot more sense!
      09-15-2016, 10:41 AM   #39
AGM2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 LBB 17

Quote:
BIG OL' UPDATE ON THIS:

THE MAN!

BIG DIFFERENCE!

Appreciate 0