BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-14-2008, 10:59 AM   #45
Evolved
Bad Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Evo

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhereItsAt View Post
Wouldn't that be business? When a market matures and competition is a plenty you move on to more lucrative markets. If the unit sells dwindled to an amount that makes it financially impossible to do more RD or the product has reached its full potential wouldn't you leave.

Again, I have had no experience with him/vishnu. If you have, please let us know so that we can all learn from your experiences. As far as I can tell, the majority of the people using his PROcede for the N54 like it, scratch that, love it. I don't want this to become a pissing contest for tuners and letting people now facts is the upmost importance, but spreading inuendos and rumor is not beneficial. The best thing for anyone to do is search. I have searched on many sites (BMW specific and other car forums as well) and the Vishnu tunes are pretty damn solid. So are other tunes. I think Dinan is a good tune and does offer a very appealing product. It won't appeal to everyone.

OP, sorry for getting off topic - way off topic. If I offended anyone, sorry for that too. I'm out.:wub:
You're missing the point. Yes his products are good but if his support for those products disappears than what's the point in having it. He flees the amarket and the products become worthless. I'm not "spreading innuendos and rumor", Sorry.

And yes, I have plenty of experience with Vishnu. I've seen their products and the way they operate and chose to go in another direction.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2008, 11:03 AM   #46
joelk
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray E90 M3

we need a stickied "tuner pissing match" thread so that worthwhile threads like this one don't die an unnecessary death.
      01-14-2008, 11:05 AM   #47
Evolved
Bad Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelk View Post
we need a stickied "tuner pissing match" thread so that worthwhile threads like this one don't die an unnecessary death.
Please explain?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2008, 11:09 AM   #48
joelk
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolved View Post
Please explain?
what's to explain? i wasn't criticizing anyone in particular ... and i happen to agree with your position. it just seems like any tuning thread always devolves into a pissing match concerning which one is better or how much Vishnu sucks etc ...
      01-14-2008, 11:17 AM   #49
Evolved
Bad Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelk View Post
what's to explain? i wasn't criticizing anyone ... and i happen to agree with your position. it just seems like any tuning thread always devolves into a pissing match...
Yeah, separate sub forums will be needed at some point but until products are actually released, or the car for that matter, this is the way things are. There was another good thread about Dinan but it was locked for some reason. After seeing that Helix thread I think I want to look into them a little more, especially since they have custom tunes and are local.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2008, 11:20 AM   #50
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Quote:
The JB IS a resistor based method for increasing the boost. And it can be made by an enduser. Hence the link.

No side here. :iono: Like I have said I don't own, or have ever owned any car that Vishnu could tune. But I don't care for non-tune tunes, if that makes sense. I don't expect every tuner to care for the next tuner that is why I highly recommend that this sight have subforums for each tune/sponsor. That quickly stomps out the dribble - for the most part anyway. Vishnu does post a lot on e90 and his posts are/can be very informative, that is why I linked it.

Your response to the Juice Box question was a link to hack something together that is related (but probably not the same thing), insinuating that it is the same thing with not one caveat. It was a very biased post meant to do harm to the Juice Box. If it is the same thing as the Juice Box, Shiv should be ashamed of himself, and it would speak reams as for his character. That would be one of the lowest things I've seen if so, just to try to corner the market.

I agree with most that e90post has become very Vishnu centric, and just about anybody mentioning another tune gets immediately trampled. If you are getting your tuning knowledge from there, I can see that people could easily become biased. He did advance the tuning options for the N54, there is no doubt, but there are other options out there.

One fantastic post to definitely look at on e90Post is this one, titled "335i Tuning Options for Dummies". It gives a great birds eye view of tuning options available, along with known options that are coming.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2008, 11:24 AM   #51
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
There was another good thread about Dinan but it was locked for some reason.
It was simply getting way too personal and heated, which led to a lot of name calling (that the mods continually had to clean up). That's why it was locked, which was unfortunate because there was a lot of good discussion in there regarding the Dinan tune as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2008, 11:32 AM   #52
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Y'all have been playing well together on this one though - so locking is off the table (at the moment ; -).

I think if you look back at some of those previous threads you'll be able to piece together how they slid into oblivion.

Keep it objective as possible, admit when you're being subjective and leave room in between your ears for differing opinions and it'll be just dandy!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2008, 11:35 AM   #53
Brandon26pdx
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

I've already stated that I think the Dinan reflash is overpriced, but I can appreciate the inherent superiority to their product compared to the other guys. ie; using the actual flash memory in the ECU to tune the car. They're the only one that does this AFIAK...everyone else uses "piggybacks" to intercept signals and whatnot. The Dinan software actually changes the ECU programming. It's definitely the "neatest" and least hassle way add a tune...no box to add, just fire the program through the Diagnostic port and off you go.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2008, 11:36 AM   #54
WhereItsAt
Constantly Learning
United_States
Rep
Drives: Four Wheels

I agree that e90 has become biased. But that Link is not a slam at JB. It does show what the JB is. In fact I remember a post by Terry, owner of JB, that showed pretty much tha same thing. It does show that competition is growing. With any luck, prices will drop and everybody will benefit. From what I can tell, the prodcyt that gets trampled is JB. Helix, Dinan (other than the prices), SST and XEDE seem to get a fare at bat. Vishnu just has a lot of supporters/customers that don't hold back. Even his one time favorite EENU (or something like that - from sweden) went to JB and said that the JB is a good product but came back to Vishnu. All the while not making any bones about the issues he had.

I would say that because the 135 shares the same drivetrain as the 335, the tuenr wars will appear far sooner than expected. In addition, the products will likely adapt quickly or be an outright plug-n-play. The subforums may be needed before more of these threads.

Once again, I apologize for creating something I hate - I didn't catch myself in time!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2008, 11:41 AM   #55
Evolved
Bad Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon26pdx View Post
I've already stated that I think the Dinan reflash is overpriced, but I can appreciate the inherent superiority to their product compared to the other guys. ie; using the actual flash memory in the ECU to tune the car. They're the only one that does this AFIAK...everyone else uses "piggybacks" to intercept signals and whatnot. The Dinan software actually changes the ECU programming. It's definitely the "neatest" and least hassle way add a tune...no box to add, just fire the program through the Diagnostic port and off you go.
I wouldn't say it's "superior" as I'd take a custom tune over an off the shelf flash every time. That's why I see Helix as an interesting option.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2008, 11:42 AM   #56
WhereItsAt
Constantly Learning
United_States
Rep
Drives: Four Wheels

BTW
Larryn, that link is a good read and about as unbiased as they come!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2008, 11:57 AM   #57
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N55 X1, N54 135, s54 m3

Question: And I think this that E90 forums may be a better place for it...

Does anyone know if you can splice in a switch to the JB harness to pull it in and out of the loop?

I'd be interested in running the added boost when I want it, but not necessarily all the time. I should probably ask that Terry guy...
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2008, 12:05 PM   #58
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
BTW
Larryn, that link is a good read and about as unbiased as they come!
Totally agree! :thumbup: I'm glad that person took the time to put it together.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2008, 01:14 PM   #59
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Quote:
Shiv jumps from car to car and leaves everyone else behind. First it was the Subaru crowd, then over to the Evo boards. Left the Evo guys for the Mazdaspeed3. Briefly tried to get involved with Mini and made all types of claims but was never able to crack the ECU and left the market. Now he's on to BMW's, for the time being. That's his history and that's why people in the know are skeptical.
Exactly! Forget Shiv.
      01-14-2008, 07:54 PM   #60
mkiiieustyle
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: mk3 vr6 jetta, soon to be 135i

i for one have done research on products, i have never owned a vishnu product yet but see the end results through dyno's and customer experiences that's why i brought up the procede idea, i'm the type of person that if i see that someone could potentialy be gettin a better bargain or a bad deal i will say something, i know that there there are alot of different people out there all wanting different things so having a variatey of tuners is a major + instead of just relying on just 1 tuner.

i cannot and will not down a tuner unless i have had a personal experience with them and that experiance is bad.
from what i have seen E90 post is actually pretty even when it comes to customers compairing/talking about tuners i have seen threads and dyno's from each one and every customer has pretty much said how the product they just bought is the best, i in the other hand, not having any personal experience with the tuner companies, look at the dyno results and mods going with them and start to make my own oppinions on the product,

i have really not seen a thread yet that has put me off because of customer service, i look at black and white paper (dyno graphs) and see what the products offer and go from there.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2008, 09:44 PM   #61
sambonator
Samtaro!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F32 N55 Alpinweiß

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiiieustyle View Post
...i have really not seen a thread yet that has put me off because of customer service...

How about this?

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105851
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2008, 10:05 PM   #62
asv
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

I'm sorry, but I would rather pay the 2k for Dinan and get a warranty, rather than deal with an unprofessional outfit like Vishnu. Its not worth the cost savings. There are many expenses I can be thrifty with, the ecu for my daily driver is not one of them.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2008, 10:06 PM   #63
joelk
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by asv View Post
I'm sorry, but I would rather pay the 2k for Dinan and get a warranty, rather than deal with an unprofessional outfit like Vishnu. Its not worth the cost savings. There are many expenses I can be thrifty with, the ecu for my daily driver is not one of them.
exactly my line of thinking as well.
      01-14-2008, 10:09 PM   #64
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiiieustyle View Post

i cannot and will not down a tuner unless i have had a personal experience with them and that experiance is bad.
Thats scary man. I work too hard for my money to end up a casualty when the shit hits the fan. I mean this is the ECU of the car. VERY VERY important.
      01-14-2008, 11:37 PM   #65
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by asv View Post
Agree 100%

Only other software upgrade I would truely feel 100% confident with would be one offered by GIAC, if it ever happens.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2008, 12:47 AM   #66
Nixon
Banned
Rep
Drives: :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sambonator View Post
Here is what I see:

A guy who tries to sell his v1.49 starting at 06:17PM on 12/26. Then when it doesn't sell right off, he tries on 12/28 to get a refund for it, and claims he didn't know about the 30-day return policy until 1/7.

He says on 1/7 that he hadn't seen the invoice that shows the 30-day return policy, because as of 1/7 "the box isn't opened". Yet he posted a picture of the unit out of the box (including a picture of the invoice) a week earlier for his ad.

A month earlier, he was posting that he was "debating between a custom tune and Dinan." instead of installing his v1.47 that he had already bought a month before.

I don't know the whole story. Could he be somebody that got a bad case of buyer's remorse when the new Dinan product was announced? And he wants somebody else to defray the cost of his buyer's remorse? And is willing to say anything, or throw anyone under the bus, to save a few bucks?

Who knows? But my point is that I just don't think this is an open and shut case of poor customer service.

NOTE: I have nothing invested in any tuner (unless they offer a chip for a 123d if/when BMW imports them). I'm just offering up what I saw when I read through everything.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=103813&page=1

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...35#post1856235
Attached Images

Appreciate 0