BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-06-2010, 03:33 PM   #1
Marvelousone
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

New Product Advice

Hey Detailers,

Long story short, beginning of summer I bought a whole ton of detailing products including pads, PC, ONR, Leather cleaner, Windows Cleaner on and on. I detailed the car ONCE.

The reason is that for my polishes, I bought Klasse AIO and SG. AIO was simple enough to put on and take off, but SG was a bitch, as expected.

Now before winter I want to do another major detailing, and I need something to remove the scratches I've gotten over the summer ( nothing too deep, just the normal stuff that happens to a Jet Black BMW ), and have a sealant that is EASIER to apply.

So, what do you pro's suggest for a good polisher for medium scratches, and what can I use after AIO for a sealant ( Assuming I do a polish, AIO and Sealant )?!?!

Marv
      10-06-2010, 08:13 PM   #2
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: beater;)

Hey there Marv,
I'd recommend you several things. Meguiar's 205 on a black LC pad followed by 3M Ultrafine machine polish on a blue Lake Country pad on your PC for polishing.

For sealant - there are a lot of good choices, and I'm sure you've read about ones like Blackfire and Menzerna Powerlock recently. If you finish down correctly on your paint with the polishing steps, there's no reason for an AIO. Go directly to your good sealant in place. In prep for Winter, apply multiple coats of sealant spread over several days. If the BMW is your daily driver; no problem - apply a layer after all your prep work, and the next time you wash her, apply another layer. Because you're in the Great White North like I am similarly in Detroit, you'll surely want to apply multiple layers (2+).

Hope this helps
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 10:38 PM   #3
Marvelousone
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Hey MuttGrunt, Thats great advice. I was really thinking about getting the PowerLock stuff.

How harsh is the Meguire's 205? I have very few really deep marks, but a whole lot of finer scratches. I am kinda scared to take too much off....but to be honest, the last time I tried, there were still lots of scratches after I finished. So maybe something harsher would have been needed in the first place....