BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-21-2010, 09:05 PM   #1
pinmagic
The Only Sane One Here
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i Convertible

Installing a Hammock-Style Cargo Net in the Trunk - Cheap & Easy!

I haven't had a car with a real trunk in YEARS - had a bunch of 2-seaters. But I've always thought the hammock-style cargo nets looked really useful - probably moreso than the floor cargo net option for the 1. It's much easier just to drop grocery bags in it than to slide them under the floor net.

So I set about installing a hammock-style in my car, and it turned out to be cheap and easy. (Cheap and easy - sounds like a good date! )

The whole thing installs in about 20 minutes, and it cost less than $25. It can be removed in 30 seconds, and the 2 hooks at the bottom can be stowed under the battery compartment cover when not in use, so they're out of the way.

This thing is great - it can hold grocery bags (or whatever). And I can put more bags in front of it - they pretty much stay in place. And when I need more room, it takes about 5 seconds to unhook it.

And as you can see, you can still use this, even if you have the BMW cargo net on the trunk of the floor.

Love my hammock net!

NOTE THAT MY CAR IS A 2011 VERT - I have no idea if this will work in a coupe, or in a different model year.

Here's what you'll need:

- The hammock net - I ordered this one, designed for a Hyundai (yeah, it's for a Hyundai - get over your damn self!) - ORDER THE 4-DOOR VERSION, NOT THE 3-DOOR VERSION. Total with shipping is $17 - and now you know why I ordered a Hyundai part!
Hyundai Cargo Net. In your cart, it'll show the item number as U8170-1E000.

- 4 nylon flat washers, or similar. I used these from Home Depot (in a parts drawer): 3/8" 9.5 (?) Nylon Flat Washer, UPC 030699869688 (2 per bag).

- 2 straps with hooks to hold the bottom in place - I used Gear Wrapz. They're available at The Container Store, or from a bunch of other sites online. You can get the 7" or 10" - either one will be long enough.

To install the hammock net:

- Remove the 2 trim plugs (both parts) from the top lip of the trunk - see pic for location.

- The net comes with 4 hooks, but you'll only use 2. Place 2 washers on each of the 2 hooks, and screw them directly into the holes where you removed the trim plugs. Amazingly, they're the right size, and they should screw right into the hole. Make sure the hooks are vertical.

- Under the cargo cover (on the floor of the trunk), you'll find 2 nuts - one on the left side, and one on the right. (Not sure what they're securing - holding the molded battery compartment area in place, perhaps?) Determine how long your Gear Wrapz should be. You'll have to test with the net in place to decide. Then, punch holes in your straps (I used a hole punch), remove the nuts, place the straps over the protruding bolts, put the nuts back in place, and tighten.

- Now, Just attach your cargo net to the 2 hooks on top, and the 2 straps on the bottom, and TA DA! - a hammock-style trunk net!

NOTE: the net is a bit wider at the top than we need, so, after this photo was taken, I ended up doubling some of the top cord back over itself (a couple of inches at each end), and securing it with cable ties. That way, I could still use the original loops to attach it to the hooks. One of these days, I'll post updated pics.

Hope some of you find this useful.
Attached Images

Last edited by pinmagic; 05-31-2012 at 06:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2010, 10:36 PM   #2
sb335is
Captain
Rep
Drives: fast

nice! might consider this. currently ive got a folding canvas chair, tripod, monopod, shoes, books, and a jacket rolling around back there. on top of my driving style, things get messy.
      04-14-2011, 04:20 PM   #3
pinmagic
The Only Sane One Here
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i Convertible

FWIW - After posting these pics, I modded the net a bit to narrow it, so the loops at the top actually fit onto the hooks, without the net sagging. I just doubled over a couple of inches on each of the top lines (using a few wire ties on each to keep the lines in place). One of these days, I'll post updated pics.
      04-15-2011, 08:21 AM   #4
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

Seems like a neat idea! Thanks.