BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-13-2016, 02:36 PM   #1
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 6MT Exec

BMW programmed software detune, PPK, and Sprintbooster/Pedalbox

Theres been tonnage written about this, and Ive researched most of it, but still looking for a tad more info.

In Novemeber, 2013, I brought my '11 N55 135I 6MT to the dealer for my annual covered Oil change. When I was checking in I was informed that there was a recall campaign B51 01 11 to deal with 'Heated side mirrors and Windshield Washer nozzles'. In so doing it was mentioned that in order for this to be dealt with, a software update was required, the base software version of which would have to be brought up to current levels.

When it was completed, on my drive home, I detected that I too had been a victim of the dreaded software de-tune about which so much has been written. I bitched and complained to the service advisor and ultimately to the srvc mgr, but to no avail. I was stuck!

As of late, Ive been revisiting this issue.. Ive learned about the Throttle Adaption Reset procedure, which works like a charm, even on my 6mt car. What it does is very similar to what Ive read throttle remappers like Sprint Booster and PedalBox do.. That is to say, give the driver a feeling that his power is back and more responsive.. It feels like for each press of the pedal, the car goes a lot faster. The problem is, in a few days, even with some WOT jaunts, it eventually detunes and goes right back to feeling the way it did after the dealer flash.

Ive been looking into getting a coding done for the PPK.1. But Im still wondering about the throttle remappers, ie Sprint Booster and Pedal box.. I know I know.. Engineers hate them and equate the effect to just putting more foot into the pedal, but owners seem to love them. However, I will tell you that after the Throttle Adaption Reset has been performed with wonderful results, after a few days, I dont care how hard you press the pedal, or how fast, you dont get the feeling you did right after the Reset. So, Im assuming with those throttle remappers, its not the same either, ie, not just like using more foot...

But what about this..... When you reset the Throttle Adaption, whats really going on.... I suspect, that if this is like most engine adaptions, over time, your driving style gets 'learned', and engine behavior is adapted accordingly. So, over time, the muted effects of daily driving mute the adaption response until, once again, we have a slug on our hands which resulted from the BMW service dept's software update..... BUT, is it possible that the increased remapped voltage signals provided by the throttle remapping piggybacks 'tricks' the ecu and its adaption henchmen to believe that we are driving harder and, therefore, the negative effects of throttle adaption may play less of a roll, and maintain the throttle sharpness that is lost through adaption? Ie, is there any chance the throttle mappers will give us a SUSTAINED experience achieved by the Throttle Adaption Reset procedure? Thats all I want, really. I dont need more power; what I need is the sharp response the car possessed before BMW flashed me, and the sharp response I get, temporarily, after performing a Thottle Adaption Reset.

Thanks for your comments......

Last edited by boostm3; 06-14-2016 at 08:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2016, 11:44 PM   #2
fast1eddy
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Lemans Blue

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
  [0.00]
You've just confirmed exactly what I've been feeling. I feel my car doesn't need more power but a little more throttle response would be good. I've been thinking of getting a tune just to make the car more responsive. I'm going to try the reset you mentioned and see how that works.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2016, 03:33 AM   #3
Jozy
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Singapore
Rep
Drives: R32 GTR

Just download the software involvedand flash the ppk by yourself.

Problems solved?
      06-14-2016, 05:03 AM   #4
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

BMW's new SW update keeps the wastegates open until 3,500(ish) rpms. Only a tune will fix this. Some people have been successful in talking thier dealers into giving them the PPK1 sw for free. Some have had their dealers do a SW update again, this time with the WG box "ticked" so that the WG stay closed. I believe BMW did this update for the masses so they would stop complaining about the ticking noises direct injection and that the WG make. I prefer he performance of the 135i's engine. I gladly put up with these weird ticking noises.

Like I said, you should either get a PPK1 flash(you can download it off the internet now for N55's) or pay for a real flash tune like Cobb or Giac.

good luck,
Dackel
Appreciate 3
      06-14-2016, 08:29 AM   #5
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Hey Guys.. Thanks for the comments.. I had been leading toward getting the PPK flash coded for me... But Ive read decidedly mixed reviews as to whether or not this fixes the delayed and weakened throttle response caused by the Dealer software upgrade on the N55s with Manual Transmissions.. Some folks say it helps a little, and some say it doesnt help at all; all you get is pops and burbles.

However I havent read anybody who has installed one of these remappers who's unhappy with the result. Im Hoping that it will have the same effect as when I do the Throttle Adaption Reset procedure, which provides exactly what Im looking for, until, that is, the effect dampens out in a couple of days back to the slug it was after dealer update.. I had been skeptical of these remappers because some have said half throttle gives you 100% throttle opening and much less control, etc, etc.

Then I came across this short video which seems to totally belie that kind of thinking :

So, still on the fence, but leaning toward pedal box.. If PPK flash did the job and gave me the effect of a Throttle Adaption Reset WHICH WOULD SUSTAIN THAT EFFECT and not get adapted out, I think thats what Id go for.. But as I say, on the N55s with 6MT, reviews have been mixed.

If any N55 owners have installed the PPK flash and found it to deliver the kind of throttle response similar to what you get after a Throttle Adaption Reset THAT SUSTAINS ADAPTION, and reverses the sluggish effects brought on by the mandatory dealer software update, Please post your comments here.

Thanks again!!

Last edited by boostm3; 06-14-2016 at 08:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2016, 02:13 PM   #6
Yeineken
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i M Sport

Garage List
'11 135i  [8.20]
'16 Ford Hatchback  [0.00]
'15 X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone
BMW's new SW update keeps the wastegates open until 3,500(ish) rpms. Only a tune will fix this. Some people have been successful in talking thier dealers into giving them the PPK1 sw for free. Some have had their dealers do a SW update again, this time with the WG box "ticked" so that the WG stay closed. I believe BMW did this update for the masses so they would stop complaining about the ticking noises direct injection and that the WG make. I prefer he performance of the 135i's engine. I gladly put up with these weird ticking noises.

Like I said, you should either get a PPK1 flash(you can download it off the internet now for N55's) or pay for a real flash tune like Cobb or Giac.

good luck,
Dackel
I've grown the love the ticking noise. Let's me know she's working properly.
      06-28-2016, 03:59 PM   #7
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

My dealer just offered me the PPK at a good deal as a remedy for the performance killing tune we've been talking about.... .. Needless to say, I accepted in a hurry... Installation set up for next Wed.... Thanks Dack for pushing this.... They were really more accomodating than I had expected, especially seeing that the dealer software update that we're all complaining about was installed 2.5 yrs ago.

Last edited by boostm3; 07-06-2016 at 04:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 05:09 PM   #8
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Enjoy the fix and the mild bump in power!
      06-28-2016, 05:43 PM   #9
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

OP, you'll also enjoy all the sporty pops and crackles in engine overrun that PPK is known for.
      06-28-2016, 05:50 PM   #10
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Any updates OP ?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 09:24 PM   #11
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Any updates OP ?
No updates since my 4:59pm post. Installation scheduled for next Wed. Happy with the deal they gave me.. Glad I was patient and waited for them to capitulate. This is going to have to tide me over til I can get my hands on an M2! Hope it does the job.
      06-28-2016, 09:33 PM   #12
Jozy
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Singapore
Rep
Drives: R32 GTR

are you getting the hardware ppk too or only the software?

if software only why not find a local guy with winkfp/daten to flash for you for maybe a beer
      06-28-2016, 09:35 PM   #13
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Just the software.... Decided to go this route. I would have gone the non-authorized route if I couldnt get BMW to make me a deal, but to me, this is preferable. No risk of ecu- bricking or some kind of other problems; protected against future over-writes; etc, etc.

Last edited by boostm3; 06-28-2016 at 11:48 PM..
Appreciate 3
      06-28-2016, 11:40 PM   #14
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostm3 View Post
Just the software.... Decided to go this route. I would have gone the non-authorized route if I couldnt bet BMW to make me a deal, but to me, this is preferable. No risk of ecu- bricking or some kind of other problems; protected against future over-writes; etc, etc.
Good reasons in my opinion.
      06-30-2016, 11:14 AM   #15
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
My dealer just offered me the PPK as a remedy for the performance killing tune we've been talking about.... The offer was half MSRP on the PPK flash (being picked up by BMW), plus free dealer installation.. Needless to say, I accepted in a hurry... Installation set up for next Wed.... Thanks Dack for pushing this.... They were really more accomodating than I had expected, especially seeing that the dealer software update that we're all complaining about was installed 2.5 yrs ago.
Hope this becomes your fix and it's nice you're able to get the PPK at such a discount. Makes me wonder if I should have just waited and complained about my issues with the DCT before plunking down the cash to get the PPK2 installed.

Anyways, let us know how this turns out for you. In my situation, the PPK software did help with the throttle lag. I had the PPK2 installed a few months after buying my car new. The DCT quirks were stable up until a few weeks ago when everything just took a dump. Severe throttle lag, RPM was surging when coming to a stop, car was lurching/jumping forward when slowing at low speeds, and the false neutral incident. I had my car in for routine service and had the dealership apply the SIB.

Since getting the car back, the throttle response is better and so far having had any of the lurching/jumping which was down right scary in bumper to bumper rush hour traffic; especially when I had to navigate this type of traffic for 15+ miles. I'm still seeing some RPM surging but it's not as severe as it was before the software update.

BTW, the power train is all stock except the PPK software and cooling upgrades.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2016, 03:38 AM   #16
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
No updates since my 4:59pm post. Installation scheduled for next Wed. Happy with the deal they gave me.. Glad I was patient and waited for them to capitulate. This is going to have to tide me over til I can get my hands on an M2! Hope it does the job.
You're going to love it.
      07-06-2016, 10:56 AM   #17
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

So, my car is at the dealership getting the flash... They arranged for a loaner.. Cant really figure out why, when remote coding is being done for people in under an hour... I asked how long, and SA said could take a day...

Dont really understand why, but maybe they have to update the underlying software before they can apply the PPK?

Puzzled..

***UPDATE***

Just drove her home, and I must say, Im pleasantly surprised. Two facets: The sound is as has been described; the engine overrun pops and burbles is no joke.... To me, its not obtrusive, but adds to the pleasure of driving the car... The power increase, while not worlds apart, is definitely palpable. Its 95 degrees here today, and even so, it pulls considerably harder above about 3k rpms. If you're stopped and idling, you still have the delay in response of the tach needle in response to throttle blips (compare this to a 2016 328i loaner they gave me which of course was worlds slower, but didnt have that throttle delay at idle). However driving on the road, it's definitely improved, and the increased response from the engine all but makes you forget about the delay. (Keep in mind, this is a 6MT... YMMV with an automatic). Final judgement will have to wait a few days, as I want to make sure daily driving conditions that in the past have adapted out throttle response, as compared to that achieved right after a throttle adaption reset, dont plague the flash.

But as of now, Im happy with it... Ill report back if there's any change.

Last edited by boostm3; 07-06-2016 at 03:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 10:57 PM   #18
Overpar56
Proud AARP member in good standing
Rep
Drives: Me nuts

Quote:
So, my car is at the dealership getting the flash... They arranged for a loaner.. Cant really figure out why, when remote coding is being done for people in under an hour... I asked how long, and SA said could take a day...

Dont really understand why, but maybe they have to update the underlying software before they can apply the PPK?

Puzzled..

***UPDATE***

Just drove her home, and I must say, Im pleasantly surprised. Two facets: The sound is as has been described; the engine overrun pops and burbles is no joke.... To me, its not obtrusive, but adds to the pleasure of driving the car... The power increase, while not worlds apart, is definitely palpable. Its 95 degrees here today, and even so, it pulls considerably harder above about 3k rpms. If you're stopped and idling, you still have the delay in response of the tach needle in response to throttle blips (compare this to a 2016 328i loaner they gave me which of course was worlds slower, but didnt have that throttle delay at idle). However driving on the road, it's definitely improved, and the increased response from the engine all but makes you forget about the delay. (Keep in mind, this is a 6MT... YMMV with an automatic). Final judgement will have to wait a few days, as I want to make sure daily driving conditions that in the past have adapted out throttle response, as compared to that achieved right after a throttle adaption reset, dont plague the flash.

But as of now, Im happy with it... Ill report back if there's any change.

I've had PPK1 first, then the SIB update since PPK1 didn't fix the stutter and lack of throttle response. The SIB I had for about a year or more. Overall I've been pleased, although the idle comes up at a stop again. Not as quick or dramatic as before, but enough that I noticed.

2012 135i DCT, Lemans Blue/black leather, PPK1, PE, Stoptech Sport rotors and Sport pads, unhealthy crackles and burbles and an aging demonic driver.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2016, 07:42 AM   #19
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overpar56 View Post
I've had PPK1 first, then the SIB update since PPK1 didn't fix the stutter and lack of throttle response. The SIB I had for about a year or more. Overall I've been pleased, although the idle comes up at a stop again. Not as quick or dramatic as before, but enough that I noticed.
From what Ive read, it seems those with the DCT transmission have different issues than those with the 6MT. Ive never had a surging throttle or stutter issue with mine; my problem, as described, was always what felt like a performance detune brought on by the mandatory bmw DME update that so many have experienced. As for the throttle response, it still takes forever, at idle, for throttle pedal blips to register on the tach needle. However on the road, driving, its not as noticeable to me as it was before the PPK1 flash.