E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Broken1's broken 320d. Vibration Dampener?

12-02-2005, 08:29 AM   #1
Broken1
Addict
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 40i M-Sport

Broken1's broken 320d. Vibration Dampener?

If this sounds dramatic, it's because BMW pissed me off!

Okay, so you might have read my thread yesterday about the clutch slipping? If not, it's in the drivetrain section (http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8511)

Today, the slipping feeling of the clutch has turned into a shudder - the whole vehicle shudders (along with that clutch slipping feeling) on pull off. I was parked near a wall, and with my windows open (because it's hot here) I heard this weird noise. Jumped out of my car, and it's bad...there is something wrong.

The BMW service man said that the Vibration Damper was pulling (??) and that I must book the car in (earliest date is the 14th of December) and left me with the service receptionist to book the appointment. When I wanted to ask if that might be too long to leave a problem he was gone.

---------------------------
Now this is where they pissed me off. I drove down to the F1 style service department to ask one of the technitions to listen to the car, and explain to me how serious it is. When i get there, one service tech starts listening to the car and taking concern, while a manger type person runs upstairs to the service desk.

The service tech was ready to get the part and start working on the car, when the original guy who helped me comes down and goes "Whats the problem here" to which I said that I was just looking to see how serious it is, because they could only book me for the 14th - and I don't want to get stuck as I am doing alot of travelling in the next few days. He was very rude and basically treated me like I was waisting their time. BAD attitute
-------------------

Who know's what a Vibration Damper is - and what would cause it to pull and how bad is that?

Could this vibration damper have to do with the shudder at pull off?

Is it okay to drive for the next 2 weeks and cover over 1500km's?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2005, 09:00 AM   #2
Tierfreund
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

A few eearly 320d in Germany had a similar problem. It was a broken engine mount / vibration damper. The symptons (shudder) were simmilar to yours.

German dealers were advised to not let a customer leave with his car once the problem was diagnosed. There was a (slient) recall for the issue It was deemed to dangerous to drive because further damage to the car could occur. Basically the engine can move too freely in the engine bay, meaning that fuel pipe, water hoses, maybe even the exhaust can tear /break. Only happened on y afew earyl cars though.

As far as I remeber you have a relatively early 320d so you might be into the same trouble.

I would not drive the car for longer distances and I would call BMW headquarters for them to look into wether or not there is a bulletin in your country for the problem. Book into a different dealer if you have to or go back to the original dealership and INSIST on priority treatment. Try to find a good mechanic that will put priority on safety and avoidance of further damage instead of keeping some kind of shedule.
This may be serious enough to really stink up the dealership if nessecary.

In short, raise hell if you want to prevent further damage to your car.
(But allways in a curtous and kind manner, that´s way more effective. You´d be surprise what gets done when you kindly refuse their offerings and simply not leave until the problem is satisfactorly taken care off)

In these links you´ll find some posts in german forums about the vibration damper Problem (Schwingungsdämpfer) for what it´s worth

http://www.motor-talk.de/showthread....gungsd%E4mpfer

http://www.motor-talk.de/showthread....gungsd%E4mpfer
      12-02-2005, 09:12 AM   #3
Broken1
Addict
Rep

In the 30 Minutes since I posted and now...I called 2 other BMW dealers. The one said nothing, and the second told me if I had come to him with the problem, they wouldn't have let me drive the car out the dealership. To see who is right, I called BMW South Africa customer care. I was put through to a mechanical manger who said the car was unsafe to drive.

I am quite angry at this moment. How can one dealer tell me the car is fine for another 2 weeks, and others are saying I should actually have the car towed into a dealer. As I explained - the problem has gotten alot worse during the course of today.

Thank you for your reply Tierfreund. You have just confirmed what dealer 3 said and BMW South Africa.

Now what to do...as I can't be without a car at the moment.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2005, 09:20 AM   #4
Tierfreund
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

If I were you, I´d bring the car in right now. Then a combination of good running shoes, maybe a bike, Avis, Hertz or maybe a loaner from the dealership.

Anything but continue driving the 320d.

I was in a similar fix in April when my E46 was stolen on a Saturday night. With only one car (and then none) and my girlfirend needing hers to get to work, I actually rode my bike (and I don´t mean motorbike) to work for a week before I found an afordable rental. At least in SA you´re having nice wether right now.

1.500km you say? That´s possible on a good bike, but you´d need at least 15 days and not much else to do on those days... Good for your health and fitness though.

Just kidding. I really feel for you. Your situation is nasty.
      12-02-2005, 09:24 AM   #5
Broken1
Addict
Rep

Hyde Park Auto has now "magically" found me an appointment for wednesday next week. The service manager assures me the car is safe to drive until then...I need a car, as I am doing a 120km each way drive tomorrow night.

What could happen if this thing breaks?
Just the whole engine fucking out? (ie new car from hyde park auto) OR could it mean the crankshaft siezing, locking the rear wheels, rendering the car uncontrollable and killing me and my girlfriend?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2005, 09:39 AM   #6
JamieA
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i

This sounds really serious. I am sorry to hear about your problem. I wouldn't chance drivging it. Esp if it can tear hoses loose, you will end up with a completely cooked car, loss of control if you are really unlucky, and also you could break down in a bad area...

Hope all is put right for you pronto!
      12-02-2005, 09:42 AM   #7
bimmer4me
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I couldn't resist...
Attached Images

2006 330i Monaco Blue | Grey | Walnut
...Manual | Sports | Premium | Cold | Nav | Comfort Access | PDC | Sirius | Sunshade
...M-Tec Steering Wheel | M-Tec Shifter | TLC
...Performance Center Delivery | Oct 14, 2005
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2005, 09:50 AM   #8
Broken1
Addict
Rep

Ok...this is the update. BMW and everything is now closed, being 6 o'clock.

I spoke to the workshop manager at JSN Motors (the place that always seems to come right for me lately). He said that the problem is serious, but it is still safe for me to drive - it is a known problem on some of the earlier models. He said it is important that I get it fixed soon - and will fix it for me on monday morning. He claims it is safe to drive the car for the weekend.

I am going to write an official complaint to BMW South Africa about hyde park auto - it is rediculous that they can tell me the car is fine, and it's perfect to get it fixed in 2 weeks - while others are saying don't drive the car.

The car is covered under full warranty and motorplan - so if it blows up - they can replace it. I will be a very difficult customer, as I expect perfection out of my BMW. As long as it is not life threatening, which JSN motor assures me it isn't...then I should be okay. :-)

I would still like some more advice - as I might be inclined to listen to users on this forum more than dealers.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2005, 09:52 AM   #9
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Sorry to hear Broken1

The guy you wet to sounds very unprofessional

I hope you told BMW SA who it was

Have you tried to see if anyone else cannot slot you in earlier ?
I know they currently have the problem of people wanting a service before they go on holiday, thus filling up all the slots.

May I reccomend trying Club Motors Randburg, they have a very large service section and may have some space.

Speak to the head of the serice department, not just a service advisor wherever you phone for this
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2005, 09:53 AM   #10
Broken1
Addict
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer4me
I couldn't resist...
Thank you :-) You made me smile!! haha I'm even laughing

Ahhh...I can count on this forum for everything :P

That just made me feel alot better...hahaha

Appreciate 0
      12-02-2005, 09:54 AM   #11
JamieA
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i

As long as it isn't life threatening mate. I'd jus take it real easy. I am glad you found a dealer that talks sense and can do the work sooner.
      12-02-2005, 09:55 AM   #12
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken1
Ok...this is the update. BMW and everything is now closed, being 6 o'clock.

I spoke to the workshop manager at JSN Motors (the place that always seems to come right for me lately). He said that the problem is serious, but it is still safe for me to drive - it is a known problem on some of the earlier models. He said it is important that I get it fixed soon - and will fix it for me on monday morning. He claims it is safe to drive the car for the weekend.

I am going to write an official complaint to BMW South Africa about hyde park auto - it is rediculous that they can tell me the car is fine, and it's perfect to get it fixed in 2 weeks - while others are saying don't drive the car.

The car is covered under full warranty and motorplan - so if it blows up - they can replace it. I will be a very difficult customer, as I expect perfection out of my BMW. As long as it is not life threatening, which JSN motor assures me it isn't...then I should be okay. :-)

I would still like some more advice - as I might be inclined to listen to users on this forum more than dealers.
You posted while I was typing my above answer.

JSN is also good, I have had many good reports about them

Im shure BMW SA will be happy for you to tell them about Hyde Park, since they want their dealers to do things correctly

Time now to have something cool to drink and relax, your car will be good as new in no time
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2005, 09:55 AM   #13
Broken1
Addict
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet
Sorry to hear Broken1

The guy you wet to sounds very unprofessional

I hope you told BMW SA who it was

Have you tried to see if anyone else cannot slot you in earlier ?
I know they currently have the problem of people wanting a service before they go on holiday, thus filling up all the slots.

May I reccomend trying Club Motors Randburg, they have a very large service section and may have some space.

Speak to the head of the serice department, not just a service advisor wherever you phone for this

I spoke to the head of JSN motors, who has the part in stock and will fix it on monday.

Do YOU think the car is safe to drive for the weekend? (and I have to drive to springs, from sandton)
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2005, 10:03 AM   #14
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
I spoke to the head of JSN motors, who has the part in stock and will fix it on monday.

Do YOU think the car is safe to drive for the weekend? (and I have to drive to springs, from sandton)

Its hard for me to tell since I dont know this particular problem, but the manager who knows it said its ok for a few days

I wouldnt go drag racing with it.

A nice cruise to springs on the highway shouldnt put too much strain on it, and if the problem made the car undrivable they would have sent a flat bed truck to pick it up instead of telling you to bring it in on monday.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2005, 10:06 AM   #15
Broken1
Addict
Rep

http://e90post.com/forums/showthread...highlight=320d

Just saw this thread while searching...seems he had a similar problem...
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2005, 03:07 PM   #16
bimmer4me
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Thank you :-) You made me smile!! haha I'm even laughing

Ahhh...I can count on this forum for everything :P

That just made me feel alot better...hahaha

Glad I could help. That's what we are here for.

2006 330i Monaco Blue | Grey | Walnut
...Manual | Sports | Premium | Cold | Nav | Comfort Access | PDC | Sirius | Sunshade
...M-Tec Steering Wheel | M-Tec Shifter | TLC
...Performance Center Delivery | Oct 14, 2005
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2005, 04:20 AM   #17
Broken1
Addict
Rep

Okay...so I made my 200km drive (both ways) last night without any hassles. I saw a record 15 cars stuck on the side of the road - but I wasn't stuck so that's

My car is still making the horrible noise, and the clutch shudder at pull off is BAD - but they will fix it tomorro... I'll keep ya'll updated!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2005, 05:24 AM   #18
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
its your screen name.

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2005, 05:31 AM   #19
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Good to hear you made it
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2005, 05:37 AM   #20
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

make shure you get the part number /proper part name of what they replace for me
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2005, 05:50 AM   #21
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

broken 1,
just logged on now to read about your plight. sorry sorry sorry to read this unfortunate problem. iam glad that all was ok with you driving the car in its condition.

how unbelievable it was to read about the sick attitude of the service idiot. i really hope you teach this loser a lesson. he should never have had such an unprofessional attitude towards you.

more importantly i am happy to read that your car will be attended to pronto. i hope that although you had no choice, the additional driving did not cause any other damage elsewhere.

youbknow, sometimes we are lucky and get early warning signs of impending problems, just like in your case, the shudder, but in many cases we sort of 'ignore' it hoping it will sort itself out. well unfortunately in your case it got worse, which reminds me of my situation in 1998 with my e36.

fan belt screeching intermittently over a short time. then one morning bang - it broke, which caused more damage than if i would have attended to it when the warning signs were there.

its easy in hindsight to be wise but when the car makes incorrect noises & shudders, its time to take immediate action.

like i said, im glad you have everything sorted now and that you will have your car back on the road asap.

take care delivering it to the service department on monday.

all the best b1.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2005, 07:44 AM   #22
Broken1
Addict
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet
make shure you get the part number /proper part name of what they replace for me
Will do my best :-)
I'll ask for a copy of all the invoices and job reports!

Dave : thanks for the kind words :-) I read in another users post (link posted above) that this is actually a known problem. I just hope it's the first and the LAST - as my last 2 bmw's have been virtually faultless!! I have written an official complaint about the service advisor - and BMW assured me they will take it up (I mean how can he tell me it's fine to drive for over 2 weeks, when every other person says i need it fixed asap)

:P I'll let you all know what goes down...
Appreciate 0