BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-21-2012, 03:22 PM   #45
fourtailpipes
Major
Rep
Drives: the ladies crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by yandyr View Post
I don't take stuff too personal to begin with, but your judging from a video what the correction is and should've been. Could I have corrected and saved it? yes, most likely, pretty sure. The point is that it happened, mistake was made, and it's my view to learn from it. I'm not racing, or competing so that limit was never reached for me. Yes, I don't have years of experience nor do I pretend to have. One thing I will ask though, say what you will about me, what I did, criticize, I honestly will not take it personal, and will receive everything meant in good and bad. But, lets keep the organization out of this, there's no need for it. You want to start criticizing them start your own thread, and leave my info out of it.

Thanks
at your request i'll leave the NASA out of it. i'll also leave this with one final thought: you can't find an invisible limit without overstepping it. i just wish for your sake you'd overstepped it on street tires, and with an instructor in the car. if you're not crossing these limits at least occasionally, you're not learning anything at the track. good luck with the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 03:30 PM   #46
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 MR "Civic" ///M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonwilbs View Post
It is very obvious from this video that this is the first time you've ever had a car break loose underneath you. This isn't even a spin. You could drive around at this yaw angle all day and be in control. This is a joke. Do you hate your car? Were trying to put it right into those exact blue tires? The fact that you were on r-compounds without an instructor in HPDE3 without ever having to make a correction before is insane to me. Are you really trying to learn how to drive? Do you think driving is just point and squirt? I know I sound scathing now, but you're starting to show a lack of responsibility for this and it seems you're unwilling to accept criticism you don't agree with. It is not just that you did nothing to save your car. It is that at your level of experience you aren't ready to ride alone, and you aren't ready for anything more than a street car. Fix your car, take it out again, and you will crash again. You didn't do anything, not even swipe at the windshield wipers like most guys do on the way to the wall. You just shat your pants and wiggled a little bit as you guided your car like a smart bomb right into it's target. This is some of the worst driving I've seen, especially at this level.
Thanks, glad I could help you meet your internet flame for the day. I have no idea where you get that I'm not open to criticisms, all I asked was to leave the Group out of it. And at the same time discussing and taking it all in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonwilbs View Post
And you're helmet is too small!
ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourtailpipes View Post
at your request i'll leave the NASA out of it. i'll also leave this with one final thought: you can't find an invisible limit without overstepping it. i just wish for your sake you'd overstepped it on street tires, and with an instructor in the car. if you're not crossing these limits at least occasionally, you're not learning anything at the track. good luck with the car.
Your criticism is good, and I appreciate it, I just want to leave it as to things I did, that is all. If you wish to stay out of it then that's your choice, I just didn't want the Org involved since it's not my intent.

Experience is the greatest teacher, and you're probably right about me going back to HPDE2. What everyone needs to take in before bashing (not that you are) is that I'm taking all this in, and going over it in my head.

I said that'll I'll be back out, never said how or when, the advice of going into group 2 is good. It's eye opening to say the least how little I did, and that's my own fault. Constructive criticism as what you and others have provided are more than welcomed.
      05-21-2012, 04:01 PM   #47
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport :D

Yandy man I feel bad for you man...not only does your baby get hurt but you get chided for it as well. Don't fret over it all too much. Everybody makes mistakes and there's a whole host of circumstances behind it. Even instructors with the PCA, CCA, SCCA, NASA, or any other org wreck at times...sometimes they'll total a students car like this past weekend in a turn nobody could figure out how they wrecked there. You see what you did wrong and are going to work to correct it.

As a community of track enthusiasts here I think we've all been, and always are, in a position of learning. If you aren't learning anymore then you need to get off the track. What we're doing out there is practice to get better. Did he maybe bight off more than he could chew? Possibly and probably. That being said I don't think its fair of us to flame him for his mistake. He's paying for it, literally. We should be offering constructive criticism and offering ways he could improve and not flaming him at the same time. After all, where would we be if the first time they took off the training wheels and we fell on our bikes, they told us we weren't ready and put them back on? You never really know if someone is ready or not until you let them try. Yandy tried, made a mistake, he knows what he did. He processing the information thrown his way. Now lets sit back and encourage him to get back on the horse and help him do it better next time
      05-21-2012, 04:08 PM   #48
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
FWIW I think the correction for an unplanned oversteer like that should happen automatically from habit. Your hands should react all by themselves before you have time to think or freeze. That comes from developing the habit with lots of practice on skidpad or snow. I'm less experienced than some other people in this thread, but my advice is to get as much skidpad time as you can and make those habits sink in.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 04:16 PM   #49
armyav8tor
n1smo
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
Thanks for sharing your experience. People are so quick to judge and to hate but if they would just read the comments above them we can probably save a lot of bandwidth. Hope you get your car fixed soon and keep your head up!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 04:24 PM   #50
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focusedintntions View Post
Yandy man I feel bad for you man...not only does your baby get hurt but you get chided for it as well. Don't fret over it all too much. Everybody makes mistakes and there's a whole host of circumstances behind it. Even instructors with the PCA, CCA, SCCA, NASA, or any other org wreck at times...sometimes they'll total a students car like this past weekend in a turn nobody could figure out how they wrecked there. You see what you did wrong and are going to work to correct it.

As a community of track enthusiasts here I think we've all been, and always are, in a position of learning. If you aren't learning anymore then you need to get off the track. What we're doing out there is practice to get better. Did he maybe bight off more than he could chew? Possibly and probably. That being said I don't think its fair of us to flame him for his mistake. He's paying for it, literally. We should be offering constructive criticism and offering ways he could improve and not flaming him at the same time. After all, where would we be if the first time they took off the training wheels and we fell on our bikes, they told us we weren't ready and put them back on? You never really know if someone is ready or not until you let them try. Yandy tried, made a mistake, he knows what he did. He processing the information thrown his way. Now lets sit back and encourage him to get back on the horse and help him do it better next time
It happens, and that's why I though allot about posting it. But decided anyways because it may just help someone, though I couldn't save it. It'll give someone the foresight to go and get some reaction training to these type of events. It's all about helping others and learning from your mistakes.

Last time I checked that was called experience right? anyways, no worries, I'll be back out there after the car's fixed. Will look at some skidpad/driving schools, autox, anything I can do to home in and fine tune.

Thanks again for your feedback Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
FWIW I think the correction for an unplanned oversteer like that should happen automatically from habit. Your hands should react all by themselves before you have time to think or freeze. That comes from developing the habit with lots of practice on skidpad or snow. I'm less experienced than some other people in this thread, but my advice is to get as much skidpad time as you can and make those habits sink in.
You're right, and the fact that I didn't react says allot. Definitely need some training and will look into getting it very soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyav8tor View Post
Thanks for sharing your experience. People are so quick to judge and to hate but if they would just read the comments above them we can probably save a lot of bandwidth. Hope you get your car fixed soon and keep your head up!
you're welcome, and thanks for taking the time to actually read through.

thanks
      05-22-2012, 01:24 PM   #51
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep
Drives: X1 and R58 JCW

Too lighten up this converstion, lets talk about his car for a moment..

I went back and took a closer look at the body lines of the left front door / fender / rocker, and the right fender and hood.. They look pretty good meaning that there shouldnt be that much tweeked.. If the apron, which is the metal infront of the strut tower isint creased then i think that you wont be so bad after all..

Hood, Fender, Bumper cover, Headlight and radiator support / mounting panel, and about 5 million little screws and clips ( LOL ) you may be good..

Dont forget the alignmnent.. also make sure that they look at the steering shaft as it has a collapsable slide / joint that may have taken some impact.

before the video was removed, and i was at my 87th viewing, I believe the air bags didnt go off due to your speed and it ended as a glancing blow rather than a dead on foward impact.. The Tires did there job in a beautiful way... This would have had a much uglier outcome if that was just wall...

Regards..

p.s. your in Florida, right ????
      05-22-2012, 01:55 PM   #52
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveHard View Post
Too lighten up this converstion, lets talk about his car for a moment..

I went back and took a closer look at the body lines of the left front door / fender / rocker, and the right fender and hood.. They look pretty good meaning that there shouldnt be that much tweeked.. If the apron, which is the metal infront of the strut tower isint creased then i think that you wont be so bad after all..

Hood, Fender, Bumper cover, Headlight and radiator support / mounting panel, and about 5 million little screws and clips ( LOL ) you may be good..

Dont forget the alignmnent.. also make sure that they look at the steering shaft as it has a collapsable slide / joint that may have taken some impact.

before the video was removed, and i was at my 87th viewing, I believe the air bags didnt go off due to your speed and it ended as a glancing blow rather than a dead on foward impact.. The Tires did there job in a beautiful way... This would have had a much uglier outcome if that was just wall...

Regards..

p.s. your in Florida, right ????
Yea in Florida, I think you're right about allot of things. Got the car home today, removed bumper, IC, found coolant leak, which is at the top right of the fan, There's a T like connection that splits into the radiotor and motor. No evident radiator/fan damage except for a crack in the support pannel. Power steering also seems to be affected, hard to turn the wheel when car is on, but easy with it off.

Timing belt is screwed and some of the pulleys as well, but nothing to major. I'm taking it to a shop tomorrow to have a closer look and an estimate.

Will update later with more pictures.
      05-22-2012, 02:17 PM   #53
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Update with pictures:

Hopefully I can take some pictures as it gets fixed as well.
      05-22-2012, 08:09 PM   #54
BiscottiGelato
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 135i M Sport 6MT

Where can one get more skidpad time to learn more about over steering corrections? As far as I know there's Autocross and there's track days and that's about it...?
      05-22-2012, 08:38 PM   #55
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiscottiGelato View Post
Where can one get more skidpad time to learn more about over steering corrections? As far as I know there's Autocross and there's track days and that's about it...?
The BMW clubs here nearly always have one or two instructed skidpad sessions at track days events. Even better, at SCCA or Trackdaze events at Shenandoah, they leave the skidpad open and we just queue up for it. People who like it can get a lot of time.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 08:47 PM   #56
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

Autocross is generally inexpensive and pretty safe due to the low speeds. Typical high speed is about 60. When you spin out you wipe out cones. I've had to rub out the impact area but essentially doesn't hurt your car. I do one a year and should take the time to do more. SCAA puts them on around here and only charges a little more for non members than for members. I do one by BMWCCA at the BMW Performance Center. It's a little higher speed than most. I leave my stability control on, however, in the mid mode. So I do not get oversteer practice but I also don't damage my car.

I did a 2 day M school in 2010. It was loads of fun and I highly recommend it. One of the very early exercises was on the wet skidpad with an instructor. First you corrected understeer. Easy and instintive. Just get off the gas. Then came oversteer. We took the cars up around the cornering limit and the instructor yanked the emergency brake. Instant agressive oversteer. If you could catch it without over correcting three times in a row and still had time left you got to try drifting the skidpad. The surface alternates from rough to smooth and I was not noticing the transition. So I never made it all the way around but I had a lot of fun. Something like this is very valuable IMHO.

We did the whole M school - other than the skid pad exercises - in M mode. I got cross wise once on the track but I didn't see anybody spin. I'm not sure you can. It allows a little tire spinning but should prevent most crashes. I do the autocross in the mid-mode of my 128i. It seems about the same. I can squeak the tires but I haven't spun.

I used to do donuts in a parking lot the first snow of the year. But for the last 12 years I've lived where it essentially does not snow. You can hang the rear end out on dry pavement but it is very tough on tires. Stability control must be fully off. A wet parking lot - like on a weekend morning early after a rain - would be an opportunity to do this without tearing up your tires.

I saw a guy put his M-coupe into the guard rail during the bmw autocross. He came up the little hill and went in the opposite direction of the track into the guard rail. He could drive it but did some damage. We had to pop the plastic pieces back semi into position. He had to come up that hill totally out of control (we couldn't see that part).

I do not want to be a flamer but I would find a way to practice oversteer control before I turned the stability control fully off again. I recommend a M School. I would also get insurance for driving schools before turning the stability control off again. I've heard it is not expensive. I wouldn't listen to the flamers. It takes a lot of integrity to admit your mistake so visibly. It shows a lack of integrity to flame.

Jim
      05-23-2012, 11:22 AM   #57
fourtailpipes
Major
Rep
Drives: the ladies crazy

all good suggestions. snowy or wet parking lots, skidpad days, autocross, karting, or even some gran turismo (no i'm not joking). i'm not by any means a driving sideways expert, but i rarely miss an opportunity to draw some circles in a slightly snowy parking lot on the way to work. i especially like wet days on the track because people tend to give one another a little more space, and grip thresholds are much lower, so if you want to play with some yaw, you can do it at a lower speed, and with more time to recover.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 11:44 AM   #58
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
Autocross is generally inexpensive and pretty safe due to the low speeds. Typical high speed is about 60. When you spin out you wipe out cones. I've had to rub out the impact area but essentially doesn't hurt your car. I do one a year and should take the time to do more. SCAA puts them on around here and only charges a little more for non members than for members. I do one by BMWCCA at the BMW Performance Center. It's a little higher speed than most. I leave my stability control on, however, in the mid mode. So I do not get oversteer practice but I also don't damage my car.

I did a 2 day M school in 2010. It was loads of fun and I highly recommend it. One of the very early exercises was on the wet skidpad with an instructor. First you corrected understeer. Easy and instintive. Just get off the gas. Then came oversteer. We took the cars up around the cornering limit and the instructor yanked the emergency brake. Instant agressive oversteer. If you could catch it without over correcting three times in a row and still had time left you got to try drifting the skidpad. The surface alternates from rough to smooth and I was not noticing the transition. So I never made it all the way around but I had a lot of fun. Something like this is very valuable IMHO.

We did the whole M school - other than the skid pad exercises - in M mode. I got cross wise once on the track but I didn't see anybody spin. I'm not sure you can. It allows a little tire spinning but should prevent most crashes. I do the autocross in the mid-mode of my 128i. It seems about the same. I can squeak the tires but I haven't spun.

I used to do donuts in a parking lot the first snow of the year. But for the last 12 years I've lived where it essentially does not snow. You can hang the rear end out on dry pavement but it is very tough on tires. Stability control must be fully off. A wet parking lot - like on a weekend morning early after a rain - would be an opportunity to do this without tearing up your tires.

I saw a guy put his M-coupe into the guard rail during the bmw autocross. He came up the little hill and went in the opposite direction of the track into the guard rail. He could drive it but did some damage. We had to pop the plastic pieces back semi into position. He had to come up that hill totally out of control (we couldn't see that part).

I do not want to be a flamer but I would find a way to practice oversteer control before I turned the stability control fully off again. I recommend a M School. I would also get insurance for driving schools before turning the stability control off again. I've heard it is not expensive. I wouldn't listen to the flamers. It takes a lot of integrity to admit your mistake so visibly. It shows a lack of integrity to flame.

Jim
Thanks for your suggestions and chiming in, I will definitely be looking at allot of what you guys have been suggesting.

And don't worry too much about the flamers, I don't.

Thanks again
      05-23-2012, 12:34 PM   #59
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep

Quoyt from Yandyr,

"Timing belt is screwed and some of the pulleys as well, but nothing to major. I'm taking it to a shop tomorrow to have a closer look and an estimate."

I hope you mispoke about "timing belt" and meant to say Fan belt, because outr cars dont have a timing belt, and if you looking at anything timing related, you have much bigger problems on your hand... so... I hope you meant to say fan belt..

with that said, the Right side motor mount arm has been know to crack upon impact. this allows the motor to rock to the left and cause the power steering pump to impact the subframe as its very close to begin with. If this were to have occured, then that would explain your issue with turning the wheel with the car running.. Look at the power steering pump pulley.. if it is chipped or cracked I can almost guarantee the mount is broken.

Good luck..
      05-23-2012, 02:32 PM   #60
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveHard View Post
Quoyt from Yandyr,

"Timing belt is screwed and some of the pulleys as well, but nothing to major. I'm taking it to a shop tomorrow to have a closer look and an estimate."

I hope you mispoke about "timing belt" and meant to say Fan belt, because outr cars dont have a timing belt, and if you looking at anything timing related, you have much bigger problems on your hand... so... I hope you meant to say fan belt..

with that said, the Right side motor mount arm has been know to crack upon impact. this allows the motor to rock to the left and cause the power steering pump to impact the subframe as its very close to begin with. If this were to have occured, then that would explain your issue with turning the wheel with the car running.. Look at the power steering pump pulley.. if it is chipped or cracked I can almost guarantee the mount is broken.

Good luck..
Then most likely it is the fan belt lol, right in front of the motor behind the fan. I'm taking it to the shop tomorrow, should've been today, but I'll make sure to make them aware of what you've mentioned.

Thanks
      05-23-2012, 04:20 PM   #61
TX78666
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e46 330i ZHP, N55 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by yandyr View Post
brake right away, hands froze and turned to stone! so yes, something that's totally avoidable with right counter steer. Looking at the vide about 1000 times now, I still can't believe I didn't correct for it, sh*t happens, I'll fix it and go practice some oversteer in wide open areas.
It's always easier to spot in the videos, than it is to do on the track, at least in my (limited) experience. I don't know if it is because you're so relaxed watching the video, or what. I have videos where I have avoided crashes, and at the time, I felt like I just barely made it. Watching the videos, it looks like I had all day and a hundred options for getting through unscathed.

One thing I've picked up from class, is looking for things like tire walls during warm up and parade laps, and telling myself, "if something goes wrong, I am NOT going to hit that." I don't know why, but it gets me into "escape mode" faster.

Glad you're ok.
      05-23-2012, 04:26 PM   #62
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX78666 View Post
It's always easier to spot in the videos, than it is to do on the track, at least in my (limited) experience. I don't know if it is because you're so relaxed watching the video, or what. I have videos where I have avoided crashes, and at the time, I felt like I just barely made it. Watching the videos, it looks like I had all day and a hundred options for getting through unscathed.

One thing I've picked up from class, is looking for things like tire walls during warm up and parade laps, and telling myself, "if something goes wrong, I am NOT going to hit that." I don't know why, but it gets me into "escape mode" faster.

Glad you're ok.

I do that on the first few warm up laps....I call it playing the "what if" game...
      05-23-2012, 07:21 PM   #63
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
I would also get insurance for driving schools before turning the stability control off again. I've heard it is not expensive.
You can get a quick quote at the link I posted earlier: http://hpdeins.locktonaffinity.com/

Assuming a 30K agreed value:

Single-event policy: $198
6-event policy: $959
9-event policy: $1274
12-event policy: $1500
15-event policy: $1688

"The premiums shown above are premium indications. A full application must be submitted for a final quote. Club discounts and track-specific discounts/surcharges can affect the premiums shown above. "
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 11:45 AM   #64
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focusedintntions View Post
I do that on the first few warm up laps....I call it playing the "what if" game...
+1...
      05-24-2012, 03:00 PM   #65
ECSTuning
New Lifetime Replacement Policy
Rep
Drives: Independent Tuning Specialists

In due time everyone has a wreck on the track, all you can do is pick your head up learn from it and master the section you lost it in.

yandyr how's everything shaping up?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2012, 11:35 AM   #66
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECSTuning View Post
In due time everyone has a wreck on the track, all you can do is pick your head up learn from it and master the section you lost it in.

yandyr how's everything shaping up?
So far so good, have it a the shop fixing the power steering and radiator leak. Pressure tests showed no damage to the radiator (no numbers yet, hopefully soon). Leak is coming from the top hoses shown in one of the pictures I posted earlier.

The body shop guy said he doesn't see any structural damage but once it's mechanically up and running will measure for free, and go from there. Shaping up to be allot less expensive than I thought.

Ordered the ER FE Wide Body (Wet CF) kit yesterday and hopefully's here soon. I will install myself, as well as the under body splashguards which shattered in half from the impact. But so far's looking good to no major damage, mechanical or physical.

Thanks for asking by the way.