BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-25-2012, 12:33 PM   #67
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep
Drives: the silver bullet

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
good news yandy! why didn't you go with the FRP instead of CF? are you planning on leaving it exposed? I'm also considering this for next year. you can put a lot of rubber under the car 275's all around!
      05-25-2012, 12:58 PM   #68
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 MR "Civic" ///M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
@kori

I had a conversation with Fred from ER and since I need mine pretty much right away. It takes anywhere from 4 - 6 weeks to get them manufactured and shipped. They don't keep stock because of the cost I'm guessing, didn't go into to much detail. I was lucky that someone cancelled their order and I picked up an available CF one. My original plan was not the CF but, you can't complain.

Yup, planning on 4 Apex 9.5" 62et rear and 9.5" et25 or so in the fronts. According to ER you can call them and ask for the ER body kit version.

Plan to run 275/35/18 all around, lots of rubber indeed..
      05-25-2012, 01:00 PM   #69
int2str
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

That sounds awesome!

Only minor blemish are the different offsets front/rear, so no rotating tires. If rotating was at all possible, I'd seriously consider this. But I don't think there's an offset that would work front and back...
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2012, 01:30 PM   #70
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by int2str View Post
That sounds awesome!

Only minor blemish are the different offsets front/rear, so no rotating tires. If rotating was at all possible, I'd seriously consider this. But I don't think there's an offset that would work front and back...
No he can rotate tires...he just cannot rotate wheels....he'll have to have them swapped before events at a tire shop...
      05-25-2012, 01:31 PM   #71
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by yandyr View Post
Yup, planning on 4 Apex 9.5" 62et rear and 9.5" et25 or so in the fronts. According to ER you can call them and ask for the ER body kit version.

Check out the new Apex EC-7 with 9.5 58et rear. The 63et rear that I have requires a spacer to keep 275 from rubbing on the inside chassis.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9496900
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2012, 01:54 PM   #72
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
guys the R-comps won't last long enough to worry about rotating them. ask me how many track days my last set lasted. best case scenario is a set a year
      05-25-2012, 02:13 PM   #73
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focusedintntions View Post
No he can rotate tires...he just cannot rotate wheels....he'll have to have them swapped before events at a tire shop...
+1, a bit more of a hassle, but it can be done

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
Check out the new Apex EC-7 with 9.5 58et rear. The 63et rear that I have requires a spacer to keep 275 from rubbing on the inside chassis.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9496900
Those have nice offsets for the front, I'll ask when I get my set to verify and will post up whatever I end up with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelblue View Post
guys the R-comps won't last long enough to worry about rotating them. ask me how many track days my last set lasted. best case scenario is a set a year
You're probably right, but for the time being I won't be able to afford to sets right away, so going with AD08 and then getting the second set for track only. This will be a while and a process though, will probably fit in the LSD before a second set of Apex.

Good thing is, I'll probably run better with the AD08 at 275 than with the nT01 at 245, much more rubber contact
      05-25-2012, 02:57 PM   #74
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
Quote:
So far so good, have it a the shop fixing the power steering and radiator leak. Pressure tests showed no damage to the radiator (no numbers yet, hopefully soon). Leak is coming from the top hoses shown in one of the pictures I posted earlier.

The body shop guy said he doesn't see any structural damage but once it's mechanically up and running will measure for free, and go from there. Shaping up to be allot less expensive than I thought.

Ordered the ER FE Wide Body (Wet CF) kit yesterday and hopefully's here soon. I will install myself, as well as the under body splashguards which shattered in half from the impact. But so far's looking good to no major damage, mechanical or physical.

Thanks for asking by the way.

make sure you order M3 fender liners to fit in your front wheel wells if you plan on running liners.

I use E82 Front liners mated with M3 Rears. I had to do some cutting but they fit pretty well.

Also note, your wider tires may rub at full lock.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2012, 03:06 PM   #75
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebmxbikes View Post
make sure you order M3 fender liners to fit in your front wheel wells if you plan on running liners.

I use E82 Front liners mated with M3 Rears. I had to do some cutting but they fit pretty well.

Also note, your wider tires may rub at full lock.
Cool, thanks for the heads up
      05-25-2012, 04:13 PM   #76
fourtailpipes
Major
Rep
Drives: the ladies crazy

Quote:
Good thing is, I'll probably run better with the AD08 at 275 than with the nT01 at 245, much more rubber contact
it's worth clarifying that area of contact patch tends to be somewhat of a constant at a given pressure. a wider tire will give you a wider contact patch, generally with a similar area. based on the tread pattern of the ad08 compared to that of the nt01, you'll likely have less total area of contact patch.

the ad08 is symmetrical, so it really should be flipped on the wheel at least once during its life, if not more. since your wheels aren't the same front to rear, make sure they also mount the rears on the front and vice versa. thats one advantage over the nt01, which is not designed to be flipped. also, on dry track days, you can switch your wheels left to right, as the directional design of the ad08 won't really matter.

now that you're on a street tire, try to get to the point where the tires are really howling consistently through every turn. that's one of the first indications that you're nearing the limit of adhesion. push them harder and harder until you begin to feel them breaking loose, then work on making the little corrections necessary to keep dancing on that line of adhesion/breakaway. "cheater streeters" like the ad08 aren't giving you everything they've got until you drive them on the edge of adhesion. before you know it, you'll be developing the instinctive hand movements you need.

Last edited by fourtailpipes; 05-25-2012 at 04:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2012, 06:04 PM   #77
Lubo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 15 335 iX

Quote:

If this will be your track setup why not run 285/30/18. Should be marginally wider but the lower aspect ratio should help with clearance and also gearing will be closer to OEM spec as 275/35/18 fits but is decreasing your final drive
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2012, 06:43 PM   #78
Sauce
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Montego 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourtailpipes View Post

now that you're on a street tire, try to get to the point where the tires are really howling consistently through every turn. that's one of the first indications that you're nearing the limit of adhesion. push them harder and harder until you begin to feel them breaking loose, then work on making the little corrections necessary to keep dancing on that line of adhesion/breakaway. "cheater streeters" like the ad08 aren't giving you everything they've got until you drive them on the edge of adhesion. before you know it, you'll be developing the instinctive hand movements you need.
This!!!!!
KW V3's, Sparco Pro2000's, Vorshlag CP's, JB4, Heat Wrapped Raceland DP's, aFe stg. 2 Sealed Intake, Miro 111's, Hankook RS3's 225/245 (for now), Seibon M3 CF Hood, Turner Motorsports Alum. Radiator, Big Tom IC, BMW Performance bumper.

Appreciate 0
      05-25-2012, 09:18 PM   #79
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourtailpipes View Post
it's worth clarifying that area of contact patch tends to be somewhat of a constant at a given pressure. a wider tire will give you a wider contact patch, generally with a similar area. based on the tread pattern of the ad08 compared to that of the nt01, you'll likely have less total area of contact patch.

the ad08 is symmetrical, so it really should be flipped on the wheel at least once during its life, if not more. since your wheels aren't the same front to rear, make sure they also mount the rears on the front and vice versa. thats one advantage over the nt01, which is not designed to be flipped. also, on dry track days, you can switch your wheels left to right, as the directional design of the ad08 won't really matter.

Thanks for this as always, very informative! This is the kinda of feedback that really makes a few flamers not really matter.

Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubo View Post
If this will be your track setup why not run 285/30/18. Should be marginally wider but the lower aspect ratio should help with clearance and also gearing will be closer to OEM spec as 275/35/18 fits but is decreasing your final drive
I hadn't thought about the 285/30/18, but looking at the specs it seems that they may indeed be a better setup. It's going to be a hybrid street/track at first, with all the repairs can't afford two sets of everything right away. But I work from home 85% of the time, so not a huge issue either.

Thanks!
      05-27-2012, 11:32 AM   #80
syenisch
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i Gran Coupe

Yandy,

No offense intended whatsoever, but are you confident it's a good idea to invest a lot of money in a wide body kit, new wheels, etc. given you haven't been back on the track yet since your incident? Again, no offense intended. Im glad to see you are enthusiastically getting back on the horse, but just curious what your take is on this.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2012, 01:55 PM   #81
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by syenisch View Post
getting back on the horse
that's the whole idea! what are you suggesting? quitting?
      05-27-2012, 02:25 PM   #82
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
It's just a question of money. Modding is fun. As long as you don't have to give up track time to afford it, I say go for it.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2012, 03:01 PM   #83
int2str
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Also, he needs new fenders
Appreciate 1
AndyW650.00
      05-27-2012, 03:11 PM   #84
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Yandy,

No offense intended whatsoever, but are you confident it's a good idea to invest a lot of money in a wide body kit, new wheels, etc. given you haven't been back on the track yet since your incident? Again, no offense intended. Im glad to see you are enthusiastically getting back on the horse, but just curious what your take is on this.
I have to come out of pocket already, significantly. So why not? Do you intend me to go spend money putting it stock? Go back? then spend money again? Just questioning your reasoning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
It's just a question of money. Modding is fun. As long as you don't have to give up track time to afford it, I say go for it.
this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by int2str View Post
Also, he needs new fenders
and this!
      05-27-2012, 03:12 PM   #85
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelblue View Post
exactly my point, I don't see a down side to it at all. Since I already have to spend a crap load of money to fix it anyways.
      05-27-2012, 07:38 PM   #86
Adam135
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i

I would like to see the video if you dont mind PM'ing it to me. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2012, 08:06 PM   #87
syenisch
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelblue
Quote:
No... Not sure how you got that. I said I am glad he's getting back on the horse (hitting the track). That's the opposite of quitting!

GaryS sees what I meant. Personally, I would have immediately decided no more upgrades were in order for quite some time. Upgrades change how the car behaves, and i would need to feel confident I was 99.9% in control with what I had (we're never 100%) before I changed anything. That is just me though. Doesn't mean I am right or someone who disagrees is wrong! If you love the looks of the wide body, that's a good reason to do it now. If you aren't really crazy about your wheels, that's a reason to do it now. That is the type of discussion I was asking for.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2012, 09:59 PM   #88
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by syenisch
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelblue
Quote:
No... Not sure how you got that. I said I am glad he's getting back on the horse (hitting the track). That's the opposite of quitting!

GaryS sees what I meant. Personally, I would have immediately decided no more upgrades were in order for quite some time. Upgrades change how the car behaves, and i would need to feel confident I was 99.9% in control with what I had (we're never 100%) before I changed anything. That is just me though. Doesn't mean I am right or someone who disagrees is wrong! If you love the looks of the wide body, that's a good reason to do it now. If you aren't really crazy about your wheels, that's a reason to do it now. That is the type of discussion I was asking for.
This is something I wanted to do anyways, it's a perfect time for it.