BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-27-2012, 12:56 AM   #23
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

I'm at 82k miles. No extended warranty. The only post 50k repair ive had was covered by bmw warranty - turbo replacement at 75k miles.

Reading through I just got reminded of the $2500 bmw made me spend. Crap. Locked that one out of memory. Thanks a lot andre

To be fair not all of that money was for the injector repair. While the engine was open i also had a 100k service performed on the car (replaced all sensors deep in the motor while it was apart, full walnut blasting, and a few other things)

I still say that I'm ahead, as bmw charges 3k for a full warranty

Last edited by BrokenVert; 12-27-2012 at 01:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 05:18 AM   #24
Got_///M
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonack
From the discussions I have had with my BMW rep, there is no powertrain warranty beyond the 50,000 miles / 4 years. However, I believe BMW extended the fuel pump warranty to 100,000 miles because of the pending class action lawsuit....
Is the extended fuel pump warranty for the n55's as well?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 08:08 AM   #25
jb2178
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i

Nope.
1. Because I have the extended maintenance plan which should offset any repairs that come up.
2. Because extended warranties in my experience are not worth the money.
3. I have a 128i with a manual transmission, with 47,000 miles on it so hopefully it's years away from any major repairs.
      12-27-2012, 09:15 AM   #26
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jo View Post
it's like i've been saying for the past year or so: owning a N54 135i is like being in an abusive relationship.

mine is going back... tomorrow. BMW repurchase under CA lemon law for the HPFP issues. i'm pretty sad about it, but i'm laying off BMW for a while to recover. also thinking about a golf R, coincidentally....
Let me know how much they give you for it. I had the chance to consider this option through BMWNA but declined because I am a 1addict
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 05:06 PM   #27
jo
vrooooomba
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 GTI, '08 135i coupe (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Let me know how much they give you for it. I had the chance to consider this option through BMWNA but declined because I am a 1addict
it was done on an equation. they deducted, from the price i paid:
price paid x [ (how many miles i drove before first occurrence which caused it to be lemoned) / 120k].
in my case, it was the HPFP problem 3 times, which started the first year i owned the car (2010), after about 9k miles. they gave me back everything minus about $2300. they'd given me the option for buyback last year (after HPFP failure number 3) but i turned it down then. when the water pump failed a couple of months ago i called BMWNA and requested another repurchase claim. they pulled all the service records, had me fill out paperwork, approved it and that was that. i'm not sure what factored into how simple it was -- whether BMWNA is just used to dealing with HPFP buybacks or CA lemon law really is that much more consumer-friendly than other states.

all in all, i'm pleased with the way BMWNA handled it. but i don't know when i felt more heartbroken -- when i was razoring the 1addicts.com sticker off of my passenger window last night, or when the repurchase agent looked at me today, and said, okay we're done. i loved that damned thing -- when it worked. it just wasn't good for me (or BMW's image) to have the car towed undriveable to the dealer 4 times in the past couple of years.

vaguely considered leasing a new 1er while i was waiting at the dealership this morning, but i think it's best i take a break from bmw for a while. i'm tooling around right now in a rented base model ford focus. actually drives fine (great brakes!), but the interior is utter crap. i'm going to test drive VWs this weekend. but i'm definitely keeping an eye on the forthcoming 2-series....
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 06:58 PM   #28
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Quote:
it was done on an equation. they deducted, from the price i paid:
price paid x [ (how many miles i drove before first occurrence which caused it to be lemoned) / 120k].
in my case, it was the HPFP problem 3 times, which started the first year i owned the car (2010), after about 9k miles. they gave me back everything minus about $2300. they'd given me the option for buyback last year (after HPFP failure number 3) but i turned it down then. when the water pump failed a couple of months ago i called BMWNA and requested another repurchase claim. they pulled all the service records, had me fill out paperwork, approved it and that was that. i'm not sure what factored into how simple it was -- whether BMWNA is just used to dealing with HPFP buybacks or CA lemon law really is that much more consumer-friendly than other states.

all in all, i'm pleased with the way BMWNA handled it. but i don't know when i felt more heartbroken -- when i was razoring the 1addicts.com sticker off of my passenger window last night, or when the repurchase agent looked at me today, and said, okay we're done. i loved that damned thing -- when it worked. it just wasn't good for me (or BMW's image) to have the car towed undriveable to the dealer 4 times in the past couple of years.

vaguely considered leasing a new 1er while i was waiting at the dealership this morning, but i think it's best i take a break from bmw for a while. i'm tooling around right now in a rented base model ford focus. actually drives fine (great brakes!), but the interior is utter crap. i'm going to test drive VWs this weekend. but i'm definitely keeping an eye on the forthcoming 2-series....
They gave me that same option because my car ended up at the dealership for 2 months within a three month period. I decided against it. So far I made a great decision. It didn't really make sense to lemon mine because I got it for a steal of a price at the time and was unable to find another with the same specs local to me. *fingers crossed* that I've seen the worst of its problems already. (it was in the shop for wastegate rattle and along the way they found 5 other things to fix)

Last edited by Venom; 12-27-2012 at 07:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 07:21 PM   #29
jo
vrooooomba
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
They gave me that same option because my car ended up at the dealership for 2 months within a three month period. I decided against it. So far I made a great decision. It didn't really make sense to lemon mine because I got it for a steal of a price at the time and was unable to find another with the same specs local to me. *fingers crossed* that I've seen the worst of its problems already.
yikes... well, i hope that problem is fixed, and i'm glad it's working out for you! i got a great price as well, but my problems always seemed to happen on wednesday or thursdays, and the car would never be ready until monday or tuesday. and, of course, since it wasn't something i could predict, those were the times i didn't get a loaner. so i was far too often without a car for 5 day stretches at a time. the fact that my closest (by far) dealership was neither great nor conveniently located didn't help, either. this was the place that once left a side panel sitting in my backseat after a seatbelt recall repair... so my decision was also based on the whole experience of ownership, not just the car itself. although the car did like to strand me in west oakland....
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 07:27 PM   #30
jo
vrooooomba
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got_///M View Post
Is the extended fuel pump warranty for the n55's as well?
i was under the impression that it was only the N54s, and only certain model years, but someone please correct me if i'm wrong.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 07:35 PM   #31
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Quote:
yikes... well, i hope that problem is fixed, and i'm glad it's working out for you! i got a great price as well, but my problems always seemed to happen on wednesday or thursdays, and the car would never be ready until monday or tuesday. and, of course, since it wasn't something i could predict, those were the times i didn't get a loaner. so i was far too often without a car for 5 day stretches at a time. the fact that my closest (by far) dealership was neither great nor conveniently located didn't help, either. this was the place that once left a side panel sitting in my backseat after a seatbelt recall repair... so my decision was also based on the whole experience of ownership, not just the car itself. although the car did like to strand me in west oakland....
My car was in so often that the local dealership seemed to always have a car prepped for me just in case(couple of times I called it and told them that my car would be coming in and they would say they didn't have a loaner to give out and I'd get there and they'd have a special set of keys for me to choose from). I got some pretty sweet loaners cause I had never thrashed a loaner.
Helps a lot to know your SA well.

I couldn't find a single car I would have gone for except for my 1 in the price range. I would have lost probably about $5k in value for selling it. I toyed around with the idea of the FRS but I have an Integra for mountain back trails so it didn't appeal to me enough.

What are you going to replace it with? Hope you find happiness and reliability with your next car!
Appreciate 0