BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-10-2008, 10:56 AM   #1
mikead_99
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 SMG 135i

Thumbs down BMW of Arlington (VA)

I just want to share the following email correspondence I had with a CA from there. He had been working with me, along with several other dealers on getting the price down on the car I ordered. The email chain pasted below speaks for itself. Note my response to his original question, I don't owe the guy a thing but took the time to let him know I gave him a shot and things went a different direction. I think before this we had maybe 3 emails, so apparently this is enough to make someone bitter.

Classless.

Mike:

Thanks for the update. Sorry things didn't work out for you to order thru BMW of Arlington. I'm sure you paying more than what deal we could have struck.

Best of Luck.

Bobby
-------Original Message-------
Sent: 6/10/2008 9:21 am
To: Robert Wallace
Subject: RE: BMW 1 Series

Bobby,

I apologize for inconveniencing you. I actually went by the dealership Sunday to place the order not realizing you were closed. Being impatient, yesterday, I took the opportunity to slip out of the office to a more local dealership and struck a deal and placed the order. I really do appreciate your taking the time to provide the quotes to me and do wish I would have planned the weekend visit out a little better.

Thanks,
Mike

On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 6:48 PM, Robert Wallace wrote:

Mike:

Just touching base with you on the 1 Series BMW we talked about last week. Are you still considering the special ordered car?

Bobby
      06-10-2008, 12:00 PM   #2
ScottyGams
Uber-Lee7 Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

looks like somebody didn't get their payday!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2008, 12:19 PM   #3
DC135i
Private
Rep
Drives:

I didn't think the CAs email was classless at all. He was just telling you the truth, which is that he could have made a counter-offer that could have saved you some money. I think you're taking this wayy too seriously. Afterall, this guy did take the time to worth with you, and you admitted that you were impatient and opted to go to someone else.
      06-10-2008, 12:28 PM   #4
mikead_99
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

@ DC135i, mmmm, maybe, but I don't think so. I'd received his "best" quote, after telling him he was competing, and basically agreed to order when I got a better deal elsewhere. I guess all I would expect from a guy in his position is a courtious thank you for giving him the opportunity at all and for letting him know he can move on instead of wasting any more time with me. Maybe my expectations are too high? He sounded a little bitter and unprofessional to me is all.
      06-10-2008, 12:31 PM   #5
UmpChap
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i Convertible, SGM

BMW of Arlington

I had a not so terribly different experience with BMW of Arlington. First, let me say that I work a block from BMW of Arlington's Eads Street service center, which has done me well in the past, and was fully prepared to buy my 135 convertible from them.

However, I'm not in the philanthropy business. Their price was on the high end of the spectrum of quotes from DC area dealers, a couple of thousand higher than what I ended up paying.

Along the way, the salesman I dealt with admitted that BMW of Arlington is not a high volume dealer and can't compete with some others on price. (I'm thinking that's a good way to make sure you don't ever become a high volume dealer.)

I suppose on any one transaction, anyone can match anyone else's deal. Bobby's email smells of sour grapes but my experience is that the dealership can't back it up. Don't worry about it.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2008, 01:09 PM   #6
damian
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

i don't see anything wrong with his email. Not like he was being an ass or anything. Maybe he truly believes he could've gotten you a better deal.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2008, 01:13 PM   #7
dimeesq
Private
Rep
Drives: 135 Vert

I lived a mile from BMW of Arlington and had similar expereinces in years past. When I went to buy my first new BMW in 2003 they wouldn't even give me the time of day (I was 25 and don't think I looked the part). Every encounter I had with that dealership left me frustrated (including service appointments). It was a chore just to get a question answered. I had similar experiences at BMW of Fairfax. I ordered my 135 vert from BMW of Sterling...the fourth vehicle from them since 2003. They have always treated me great! Repeat business is another thing these dealerships should think about.

2008 BMW 135 Vert
Montego Blue
Coral Red
HGB Trim
Cold Weather
Premium
Sport
Comfort Access
IPOD and USB
Satellite Radio
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2008, 01:28 PM   #8
mikead_99
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Good to hear, Sterling was the winner for me. I'm very happy with the service there so far......now I just have to wait.
      06-10-2008, 01:31 PM   #9
shaggy135i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Same here....

I agree that the email didn't seem all that rude! However, the first time I saw a 135i was @ BMW of Arlington on a slow week day. My buddy and I not only inspected the car with no assistance but even went into the dealership to look about a broucher and not a single person acknowledged us. We sat inside the demo on the show floor, found the broucher ourselves and walked out without a word said :iono: Good thing i'm picking mine up from VOB of Rockville :thumbup:
      06-10-2008, 01:47 PM   #10
dimeesq
Private
Rep
Drives: 135 Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy135i View Post
I agree that the email didn't seem all that rude! However, the first time I saw a 135i was @ BMW of Arlington on a slow week day. My buddy and I not only inspected the car with no assistance but even went into the dealership to look about a broucher and not a single person acknowledged us. We sat inside the demo on the show floor, found the broucher ourselves and walked out without a word said :iono: Good thing i'm picking mine up from VOB of Rockville :thumbup:

Yep...that pretty much sums up my experiences there. Although I once did get an "I'll be with you in just a second" that never materialized.

2008 BMW 135 Vert
Montego Blue
Coral Red
HGB Trim
Cold Weather
Premium
Sport
Comfort Access
IPOD and USB
Satellite Radio
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2008, 02:04 PM   #11
uvaphi
Rep
Drives:

BMW of Arlington

My experience (at least to this point) was great with BMW of Arlington. I placed my order on Memorial Day and my CA was fantastic. I had been emailing and calling back and forth with the CA for about 4 months. Generally a very pleasant experience. However, talk to me closer to delivery, etc.
      06-10-2008, 02:53 PM   #12
DC135i
Private
Rep
Drives:

I ordered my 135i from Tischer BMW of Silver Spring (MileOne), and I had (and continue to have), a really good experience. My CA gave me all the time in the world (he was about to leave after a full day's work, but stayed with me for 2 hours to get me a test drive and talk about options and pricing). His wife even called twice, but he stayed with me, and I really appreciated that. Also, he allowed me to take a 135i on a test drive by myself, and he even gave me a great back roads route to take. It was an awesome route that took me through the Silver Spring countryside/farmlands with winding roads and varying grades. I was out for about 45 minutes, and that wasn't a problem at all for them. Also, both the sales manager and the general manager came out to greet me and talk for a bit. They even shared their own BMW stories. I was also given a bottle of water (i know, not a big deal, but it was a nice gesture). And whenever I have a question, I just call my CA or email him, and he's always ready to respond. Just yesterday he went out of his way to contact a customer who just received his 135i, to ask him a question that came from me. I'm in my early 30s, but I could pass for 27, so I wasn't judged by my younger appearance. I recommend them, based on the experiences I've had thus far. Let me know if you want my CAs name...he's great.
      06-11-2008, 02:59 AM   #13
WishBone33
First Lieutenant
Japan
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i

I emailed BMW of Arlington and a lot of other dealerships with an offer of $1,000 over invoice. Every dealership either declined my offer, or gave me a counter offer. BMW of Arlington was the only dealership that emailed me back saying they would accept the offer. I was very happy so I quickly emailed them back wanting to place a deposit but they did no respond. I thought that maybe they were busy or maybe they had closed for the day or maybe the CA that emailed me was off for the day so i gave them a couple of days to reply but they did not. Then i emailed the sales manager stating that i was happy that BMW of Arlington was willing to accept my offer and that i would like to place a deposit but i was unable to get a response from the CA. I figured surely the sales manager would atleast email me back. NO! Nothing. No response back. Finally got my local dealership to accept my offer so I emailed BMW of Arlington AGAIN to let them know that i had tried numerous times to get in touch with them but they would never email me back so i went ahead and ordered from my local dealer, but if they would beat the deal then to please email me back. To this day, I have had no email back from them. I have probably emailed them atleast 5 times and only got 1 reply back and that was the original one stating they would accept my offer.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 03:12 PM   #14
zivilyn861
*void
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC135i View Post
I ordered my 135i from Tischer BMW of Silver Spring (MileOne), and I had (and continue to have), a really good experience. My CA gave me all the time in the world (he was about to leave after a full day's work, but stayed with me for 2 hours to get me a test drive and talk about options and pricing). His wife even called twice, but he stayed with me, and I really appreciated that. Also, he allowed me to take a 135i on a test drive by myself, and he even gave me a great back roads route to take. It was an awesome route that took me through the Silver Spring countryside/farmlands with winding roads and varying grades. I was out for about 45 minutes, and that wasn't a problem at all for them. Also, both the sales manager and the general manager came out to greet me and talk for a bit. They even shared their own BMW stories. I was also given a bottle of water (i know, not a big deal, but it was a nice gesture). And whenever I have a question, I just call my CA or email him, and he's always ready to respond. Just yesterday he went out of his way to contact a customer who just received his 135i, to ask him a question that came from me. I'm in my early 30s, but I could pass for 27, so I wasn't judged by my younger appearance. I recommend them, based on the experiences I've had thus far. Let me know if you want my CAs name...he's great.
I believe I met your CA last night when I was picking my car up... I'm the other Montego 135i that Tischer ordered. Apparently everyone was confused as to whether your car had come in until they found mine in the queue (I think we only have 1 option apart from one another). I told them I'd tell you that I stole your car! Hope you get yours soon!

Back on topic, I wanted to add another recommendation to Tischer, who handled everything well. I'd highly recommend you give them your business if you're looking in the DC area.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 09:29 PM   #15
jlee
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2CS+GTS Targa+RRS SVR

yeesh..how many montego blues are here in DC ?

If I had known everyone ordered this color..I would have ordered Sedona Red :biggrin:

How are we going to tell each other apart on the road ?

Jeff
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 09:44 PM   #16
DC135i
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zivilyn861 View Post
I believe I met your CA last night when I was picking my car up... I'm the other Montego 135i that Tischer ordered. Apparently everyone was confused as to whether your car had come in until they found mine in the queue (I think we only have 1 option apart from one another). I told them I'd tell you that I stole your car! Hope you get yours soon!

Back on topic, I wanted to add another recommendation to Tischer, who handled everything well. I'd highly recommend you give them your business if you're looking in the DC area.
haha...that's awesome! What a connection. My CA originally emailed me and said..."I just looked in your car and yes, it comes with a M logo shift knob" and I was like....WHAT??? It's HERE??? hahaha You're right...I think he was a bit confused as well.

Glad you got your car already...Mine is due in a couple of weeks, and I can't wait!! BTW, I also ordered the M logo door sills from United BMW. It comes standard on Canadian models, but not on ours. And if you get any accessories, I recommend going through Tischer, as they have good discounts and I was told by them that United actually copied their website. Tisher didn't offer the M logo sills.
      06-11-2008, 09:45 PM   #17
DC135i
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlee View Post

If I had known everyone ordered this color..I would have ordered Sedona Red :biggrin:

Jeff
Well, if it makes you feel better...I haven't seen a single 1 series AT ALL so far in the DC metro area.
      06-12-2008, 08:09 AM   #18
jlee
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Neither have I, and I've been looking. Strange given that the dealer lots are fairly full with convertibles and auto coupes...

Jeff
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2008, 09:23 AM   #19
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Neither have I, and I've been looking. Strange given that the dealer lots are fairly full with convertibles and auto coupes...

Jeff
Same here. And I agree with you about Tischer - my 128i was the 4th car I've purchased from them. Although they aren't cheap, their service and general professionalism is excellent.
Tom
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2008, 10:57 AM   #20
mikead_99
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thumbs up

I just want to throw out there that if you are looking for a dealer with allotments, BMW of Sterling must be pretty set. They gave me a good deal, car was ordered on the 6/9, build will be completed 6/18!
      06-12-2008, 11:11 AM   #21
jlee
Captain
No_Country
Rep

I was at sterling too on Sat..they clearly have this weeks allocation..

jeff
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2008, 11:58 AM   #22
DC135i
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:

Jeff
All the Montego BLUES around here probably reflect the region's political leanings, too :wink: