BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-06-2012, 02:07 AM   #1
INDPNDT
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport, BSM/Coral

Arrow 2011 135 M-Sport; Suspension Options

Hey everyone -

So here it is, I'm looking for suspension opinions for my 2011 135i M-Sport with a budget under $1k.

I was thinking about running Eibach Pro or H&R Sport springs with the M-Sport suspension. Has anyone done this and had a negative experience?

Coilovers could be an option if I go with ST however I would easily be at 1k plus install so this is not ideal.

I currently have the OEM M-Sport rims although I will be getting VMR 710's; 19x8.5+45, 19x9.5+50 - tires - 225/35/19 and 255/30/19

Please let me know what you think, and of course, pictures ALWAYS help especially if you have these springs on the OEM M-Sports.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2012, 02:15 AM   #2
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F32 Coupé

Garage List
I'm running the Eibach Pro Kit with M-Sport Struts. I may upgrade to Koni FSDs at some point but just adding the stiffer/lower springs has massively improved the handling - without sacrificing ride comfort.

Way less body roll and bounce.

I'd recommend adding the E93 M3 Front Sway bar as well though.

PS: I went the the Eibach because the H&R give a more raked stance - sort of like the car is sticking it's bum up in the air.

Here's a pic:
Attached Images

01-06-2012, 02:36 AM   #3
INDPNDT
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
I'm running the Eibach Pro Kit with M-Sport Struts. I may upgrade to Koni FSDs at some point but just adding the stiffer/lower springs has massively improved the handling - without sacrificing ride comfort.

Way less body roll and bounce.

I'd recommend adding the E93 M3 Front Sway bar as well though.

PS: I went the the Eibach because the H&R give a more raked stance - sort of like the car is sticking it's bum up in the air.

Here's a pic:
That looks perfect!!

Are the 313s 18's or 19's?

Just trying to get a feel for the look before swapping out the rims.

BTW - I sent you a PM about your audio setup! Haha
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2012, 02:39 AM   #4
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
They're 18"s... The back end took a couple of weeks to settle after the install (not as much weight compressing the springs)...

I saw your PM... I'll get back to you later tonight when I have time to write something up...

Suffices to say the Alpine kit is well worth the $$$ but ideally it does need a separate Sub or upgrades to the underseat ones...
      01-06-2012, 02:48 AM   #5
INDPNDT
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
They're 18"s... The back end took a couple of weeks to settle after the install (not as much weight compressing the springs)...

I saw your PM... I'll get back to you later tonight when I have time to write something up...

Suffices to say the Alpine kit is well worth the $$$ but ideally it does need a separate Sub or upgrades to the underseat ones...
Did you have to roll the fenders at all?

Everything fine with the stock struts? How many miles are you at?

Thanks for the info!! I appreciate it!
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2012, 02:50 AM   #6
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Nope. No fender rolling. Never rubbed - ever - even when I've bottomed out the suspension once or twice...

Done about 6000kms since installing them.
      01-06-2012, 02:59 AM   #7
INDPNDT
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Nope. No fender rolling. Never rubbed - ever - even when I've bottomed out the suspension once or twice...

Done about 6000kms since installing them.

Sounds great - I believe the M-Sport suspension is a little different than the non-sport so hopefully it can hold up to the new drop.

I'll definitely be doing the m3 sway at the same time.

Would you say the overall ride is significantly improved??
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2012, 03:03 AM   #8
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Massively improved. It's actually fun to put the back end out now because the car stays nice and level instead of lots of bodyroll.

Also much more confident throwing it into corners or sudden direction changes. I actually trust that it's going to do what I want instead of just flollop around all over the place...
      01-06-2012, 03:15 AM   #9
INDPNDT
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Massively improved. It's actually fun to put the back end out now because the car stays nice and level instead of lots of bodyroll.

Also much more confident throwing it into corners or sudden direction changes. I actually trust that it's going to do what I want instead of just flollop around all over the place...
Haha... thats EXACTLY what I am looking for. I had a S2000 and that car was on rails. It went where I wanted it and when the backend came out - I could control it without any worry.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2012, 08:50 AM   #10
1Pirate
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i

Since your car is a 2011 M Sport, which supposedly now has stiffer linear springs as compared to the 2008-10 M Sport progressive springs, you could just go with a good set of dampers like Koni Sports. That is if lowering the car is not also an objective. You should be able to pick up a set of Koni Sports and an M3 sway bar for approximately $1,000.
      01-07-2012, 01:02 AM   #11
INDPNDT
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Pirate View Post
Since your car is a 2011 M Sport, which supposedly now has stiffer linear springs as compared to the 2008-10 M Sport progressive springs, you could just go with a good set of dampers like Koni Sports. That is if lowering the car is not also an objective. You should be able to pick up a set of Koni Sports and an M3 sway bar for approximately $1,000.

I just bought the 28mm E93 M3 FSB last night and it should be on it's way here this coming week.

I do want to lower the car as well so I'm looking for spring options. I believe the linear springs were added to the 2012 E82 - or in late 2011. My build date is late 2010 so I'm stuck with the progressive springs.

Does anyone know if the H&R and Eibach Pro-Kits are nearly the same spring rate and if they are linear?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 10:54 AM   #12
1Pirate
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDPNDT View Post
I just bought the 28mm E93 M3 FSB last night and it should be on it's way here this coming week.

I do want to lower the car as well so I'm looking for spring options. I believe the linear springs were added to the 2012 E82 - or in late 2011. My build date is late 2010 so I'm stuck with the progressive springs.

Does anyone know if the H&R and Eibach Pro-Kits are nearly the same spring rate and if they are linear?
You'll be impressed with the E93 M3 FSB. That alone makes a huge difference in the amount of body roll the car has.

I don't think you will find any aftermarket springs that don't lower the car at least a half inch. The BMW Performance springs and the Dinan springs both do and they have the least drop of any aftermarket springs I've seen.

According to what I have read in several articles BMW switched from progressive to linear springs for the 2011 model year. If your car is a 2011 model built after September 2010 it should have linear springs. See this article http://www.bimmer-mag.com/issues/96/...-better?page=2

I just picked up a set of 2011 M Sport springs from a forum member who had gone with a full aftermarket suspension. I also purchased a set of new Koni Sport dampers that are adjustable. I'm hoping the combination will help the way my car performs without lowering it. I already have the M3 FSB and control arms and tension rods.
      01-13-2012, 04:30 AM   #13
INDPNDT
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You'll be impressed with the E93 M3 FSB. That alone makes a huge difference in the amount of body roll the car has.

I don't think you will find any aftermarket springs that don't lower the car at least a half inch. The BMW Performance springs and the Dinan springs both do and they have the least drop of any aftermarket springs I've seen.

According to what I have read in several articles BMW switched from progressive to linear springs for the 2011 model year. If your car is a 2011 model built after September 2010 it should have linear springs. See this article http://www.bimmer-mag.com/issues/96/...-better?page=2

I just picked up a set of 2011 M Sport springs from a forum member who had gone with a full aftermarket suspension. I also purchased a set of new Koni Sport dampers that are adjustable. I'm hoping the combination will help the way my car performs without lowering it. I already have the M3 FSB and control arms and tension rods.
Let me know how everything works out. I'm considering getting aftermarket dampers as well. The e92 FSB will be here today. Did the control arms and tension rods make a big difference as well? If so, how?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 08:11 AM   #14
1Pirate
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Let me know how everything works out. I'm considering getting aftermarket dampers as well. The e92 FSB will be here today. Did the control arms and tension rods make a big difference as well? If so, how?
Yes the M3 control arms and tension rods do make a dfference. Since I did the M3 FSB first and then the control arm kit I was able to see a difference with each mod. The control arm kit really tightens up the steering feel and turn in. The car feels much more solid up front. There is not a lot of difference between the OEM and M3 control arms/tension rods, but the bushings are much stiffer in the M3 components.

Overall I think the M3 control arm kit is a worthwhile mod, especially when paired with the M3 FSB and other suspension mods. I'm hoping that once I get the 2011 M Sport linear springs and Koni dampers installed that my car will handle remarkable better than it did stock while still maintaining the stock ride height. I'm planning on getting them installed on Monday.
      01-13-2012, 04:53 PM   #15
INDPNDT
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes the M3 control arms and tension rods do make a dfference. Since I did the M3 FSB first and then the control arm kit I was able to see a difference with each mod. The control arm kit really tightens up the steering feel and turn in. The car feels much more solid up front. There is not a lot of difference between the OEM and M3 control arms/tension rods, but the bushings are much stiffer in the M3 components.

Overall I think the M3 control arm kit is a worthwhile mod, especially when paired with the M3 FSB and other suspension mods. I'm hoping that once I get the 2011 M Sport linear springs and Koni dampers installed that my car will handle remarkable better than it did stock while still maintaining the stock ride height. I'm planning on getting them installed on Monday.
Keep us posted!!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 05:56 PM   #16
1Pirate
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Keep us posted!!
Here you go. http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=636984