BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-12-2016, 10:15 PM   #1
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Front Euro Plate

Hi guys -
Considering getting a front euro plate, just for a different look. Currently have no plate in front. A couple of bumper plugs to cover up the holes that the dealer made. Looks pretty clean but was thinking to do something different.

What do you guys think? Leave it as is and keep the clean look or add the euro plate?

Last edited by Esteban; 06-13-2016 at 05:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2016, 10:41 PM   #2
kirill1221
NOOB
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

Its one of those things that personal preference. I prefer to have no plate on any of my vehicles even though its against the law here in CT. I haven't had any trouble with it though. If you think it will look good, then do it. Its one of those things that only the owner of the car can decide. If you're itching to do it, then do it. Worse case, take it off, put the plugs back in and hang the plate in your garage.
Appreciate 1
      06-12-2016, 11:02 PM   #3
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirill1221 View Post
Its one of those things that personal preference. I prefer to have no plate on any of my vehicles even though its against the law here in CT. I haven't had any trouble with it though. If you think it will look good, then do it. Its one of those things that only the owner of the car can decide. If you're itching to do it, then do it. Worse case, take it off, put the plugs back in and hang the plate in your garage.
Haven't had a front plate for more than 20 years and possibly looking to do something different. Appreciate the opinion.
      06-12-2016, 11:23 PM   #4
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

IMO it's a ricer mod (mod used very loosely).
Your car does not drive on ze German motorways, so there is no reason for a plate saying it could/does.

But I'm not looking for anything on my car that makes it stand out. I get hassled by the man enough already. I don't need any please pull me over red flags.
Appreciate 2
      06-13-2016, 04:15 AM   #5
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell1 View Post
IMO it's a ricer mod (mod used very loosely).
Your car does not drive on ze German motorways, so there is no reason for a plate saying it could/does.

But I'm not looking for anything on my car that makes it stand out. I get hassled by the man enough already. I don't need any please pull me over red flags.
Ricer and euro don't go together to me, but thanks. Also, never get hassled by the law. That happens more when you drive reckless and speed (and get caught) and stuff.
      06-13-2016, 08:27 AM   #6
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

I've always been on the fence about this one myself, and I tend to side with Kirill's statement. Do it, if you like it keep it, if not hang it up somewhere.
      06-13-2016, 09:57 AM   #7
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirill1221 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matticus91 View Post
I've always been on the fence about this one myself, and I tend to side with Kirill's statement. Do it, if you like it keep it, if not hang it up somewhere.
Good idea you two have, and they're not that expensive. This is the site I was looking on. Thanks guys.

https://www.customeuropeanplates.com...?category_id=2
      06-15-2016, 09:11 PM   #8
ianc
Ex '87 Carrera
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 TiAg 6MT 135i

Estaban,

What are you using for bumper plugs to cover the holes the dealer made?

ianc
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2016, 09:45 PM   #9
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianc View Post
Estaban,

What are you using for bumper plugs to cover the holes the dealer made?

ianc
http://www.bumperplugs.com
      06-16-2016, 12:03 AM   #10
ianc
Ex '87 Carrera
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 TiAg 6MT 135i

Phew! $30US\pair! A little rich for my blood. I have the correct touch-up paint for the car already, so maybe I'll take a look in Pep Boys. I was thinking more like $2.98... :-)

Thanks for the link Esteban, reminded me that I need more Rejex. Take care,

ianc
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2016, 03:36 AM   #11
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianc View Post
Phew! $30US\pair! A little rich for my blood. I have the correct touch-up paint for the car already, so maybe I'll take a look in Pep Boys. I was thinking more like $2.98... :-)

Thanks for the link Esteban, reminded me that I need more Rejex. Take care,

ianc
Nope, they're not cheap, but my baby's worth it!

Anyways... I think I will get the euro plate and see how it looks on my car and if I don't like it I'll hang it in my garage as suggested above.
      06-16-2016, 06:40 AM   #12
SchismX
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: '10 135i

If you want a really clean look, use some good double-sided tape. You will have to bend the plate a little to follow the curve of the bumper but looks the best. My tape is still holding after 160 mph runs on the autobahn.
      06-16-2016, 09:11 AM   #13
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Since you asked for opinions, I'll give you one rather than saying if you like it do it...

Don't do it. Adding a fake front plate makes no sense. If you must do something, get your bumper holes repaired by a body shop. Only that will result in the cleanest solution. Why would you put something on the car that detracts from its styling unless mandated to do so?
      06-16-2016, 11:57 AM   #14
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchismX View Post
If you want a really clean look, use some good double-sided tape. You will have to bend the plate a little to follow the curve of the bumper but looks the best. My tape is still holding after 160 mph runs on the autobahn.
That's how I was thinking of doing it as well. If it can hold up to your speeds on the autobahn it should do just fine here in the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
Since you asked for opinions, I'll give you one rather than saying if you like it do it...

Don't do it. Adding a fake front plate makes no sense. If you must do something, get your bumper holes repaired by a body shop. Only that will result in the cleanest solution. Why would you put something on the car that detracts from its styling unless mandated to do so?
Appreciate the opinion, Alex. As I originally stated, Just looking to do something a little different to the front end of my car and I like some of the pics I've seen with the front euro plates. Really don't mind the bumper plugs at all and I think it's a pretty clean look. My intention is not to to cover them up with the plate because I think they are unsightly. Personally don't think it's necessary to go so far as to have a body shop repair the holes, even though I am aware that some people do have that done.
      06-16-2016, 05:08 PM   #15
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
That's how I was thinking of doing it as well. If it can hold up to your speeds on the autobahn it should do just fine here in the US.

Appreciate the opinion, Alex. As I originally stated, Just looking to do something a little different to the front end of my car and I like some of the pics I've seen with the front euro plates. Really don't mind the bumper plugs at all and I think it's a pretty clean look. My intention is not to to cover them up with the plate because I think they are unsightly. Personally don't think it's necessary to go so far as to have a body shop repair the holes, even though I am aware that some people do have that done.
How about some splitters or an aero bumper? 1ers look mean with fangs.

Last edited by ShocknAwe; 06-16-2016 at 05:10 PM.. Reason: Autocorrect is an idiot.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2016, 05:44 PM   #16
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
How about some splitters or an aero bumper? 1ers look mean with fangs.
Pass...
      06-16-2016, 08:47 PM   #17
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
Pass...
You have an aero bumper in your profile pic of the tii concept. Just sayin...
      06-16-2016, 09:31 PM   #18
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You have an aero bumper in your profile pic of the tii concept. Just sayin...
That sketch of the tii concept also has a mean stripe on it. Don't want that on my car either.
      06-17-2016, 05:23 PM   #19
Hankdoll
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2/M3/4/5

When my car got delivered from euro delivery, it was still wearing the plate. I kept it on for a month or two until my CA plates came in. I thought it looked pretty cool, but I didn't want to draw attention to the fact that I was not running a matching front plate. You're in CA too, not sure if it's worth the trouble.

06-17-2016, 05:49 PM   #20
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankdoll View Post
When my car got delivered from euro delivery, it was still wearing the plate. I kept it on for a month or two until my CA plates came in. I thought it looked pretty cool, but I didn't want to draw attention to the fact that I was not running a matching front plate. You're in CA too, not sure if it's worth the trouble.
Nice car. Plate looks good too IMO. Thanks for the pic and input.
      06-18-2016, 01:57 PM   #21
mr.fabulous
Captain
Rep
Drives: Women Crazy

I've always thought Euro tags look sharp