BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-20-2012, 03:01 PM   #1
CL 19
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82 135i

Need Help: Tune N55 135i with Dinan Stage 2 or Not

Hi guys. Apparently I decide to do some mods including exhaust and diffuser. But! Bug for doing a tune comes to me. Just for your information I have '11 N55 E82 135i DCT. I never really think about a tune. Right now I'm thinking about Dinan Stage 2 that requires no hardware or parts of the car to be change.

Here comes the questions. First of all, budget is not a big deal to me. What I really want to know is, is it really reliable? How does it feel? I know with a jump to 401 ft lb torque is huge and of course everyone can feel it. I mean, will it hurts the engine or other car components? The reason I want to do Dinan because it keeps the warranty that I don't want to deal with. Next will be is it street legal? Means will I fail the smog check when I put the Dinan tune? Because I bought the car out of state and CA requires me to do smog check every two year.

Really need your advice and opinion guys! Appreciate any comment! Thanks.
2011 JB E82 135i - Premium pack | Value pack | Premium sound | Sport pack | M-Sport steering wheel and suspension | Blackline LCI tail | BMWP carbon spoiler | BMWP CF license frame | BMWP gloss black grilles | Meisterschaft GT w/gloss black tips | CF diffuser | CF splitters | Hyper Black Apex Arc-8 w/Potenza RE-11 | Dinan camber plates
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 04:30 PM   #2
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
I can't speak for the Dinan Tune itself, but I can address on some of your other questions and comment on Dinan as a brand.

Your car will be 100% CA smog legal with the tune and because you have a 2011, dinan will match your warranty on any tune related claims for the rest of your warranty period. Dinan's warranty matching offers a lot of security and is only more valuable to new cars.

Dinan is a great brand that makes some really quality components. I have had their axle back, intake among several other parts and have always been very pleased with everything.

The two main things people dislike about Dinan is the Price and the tunes being less aggressive as some of the other after market offerings such as Cobb, Giac, BMS and Vishnu. I believe both of these issues stem from them warranty matching. Dinan matching warranties, which no other companies offer, requires them to charge more for their products to cover this, and the tunes being less aggressive is to reduce the risk of over stressing components and creating possible warranty issues.

That being said, if budget doesn't matter and you want a good boost that you will feel during everyday driving and care about preserving your warranty you should get the Dinan tune.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 07:19 PM   #3
CL 19
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Thanks man! That's a lot of explanation. But I do agree that Dinan tune is expensive but again I won't deal with anything that will void my warranty. If my car ran out of warranty that would be a different case. Again, even though money is not a problem but I heard some guys were having problems while using a tune other than Dinan and that things might add up and exceed the cost of Dinan tune. Thanks

Anyone here ever use Dinan tune on their N55 135i? Let me know guys.
2011 JB E82 135i - Premium pack | Value pack | Premium sound | Sport pack | M-Sport steering wheel and suspension | Blackline LCI tail | BMWP carbon spoiler | BMWP CF license frame | BMWP gloss black grilles | Meisterschaft GT w/gloss black tips | CF diffuser | CF splitters | Hyper Black Apex Arc-8 w/Potenza RE-11 | Dinan camber plates
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 07:50 PM   #4
jsmonet
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 x7 m50i

I like mine. got s2 at 2300 miles, at 5800 or so bumped to s3. no complaints at all.

would i do it again? yeah. I didn't really like the jb4 I had and cobb/giac still aren't out.

cobb is close, so you may want to hold off just a little, but... meh.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 08:00 PM   #5
CL 19
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmonet
I like mine. got s2 at 2300 miles, at 5800 or so bumped to s3. no complaints at all.

would i do it again? yeah. I didn't really like the jb4 I had and cobb/giac still aren't out.

cobb is close, so you may want to hold off just a little, but... meh.
The others are voiding warranty and I won't do that. One question here, what's the real difference between S2 and S3? It seems I can't figure it out by plainly looking on the Internet. How's S2? Is it safe with stock components? By the way, some guys said Dinan tune will cause a problem when time to sell the car coming, is it true? Will BMW offer extended warranty when we're having Dinan tune?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 08:07 PM   #6
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Dinan stuff is top notch. But one thing is once a car has a Dinan tune, BMW will not offer or CPO that car. So yes, the car could be worth less down the road. But then again, it might be worth more to someone who wants a tune.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 08:46 PM   #7
CL 19
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

The problem is I'm the 2nd owner of the car. Is that possible for my car to be a CPO since me myself is already the 2nd owner. I'm not to familiar with CPO procedure and try not to mess with anything that could lowered the price of my car except miles. Lol
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 10:03 PM   #8
jsmonet
Captain
United_States
Rep

it does feel stronger, but not the same extreme between stock and s2.

a few more weeks, maybe some so cal vendor will have a dyno day. otherwise i'll see if i can sneak in on a weekend
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 08:55 AM   #9
Vlaze
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i MT

This whole topic has been discussed in rather extensive detail over on this thread. If you have any other questions about the dinan tune, feel free to PM me. I've had the stage 2 for about 5 months.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...ight=dinan+ppk
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 05:07 PM   #10
blutattoo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
I have stage 3 and love it. If you wanna drive it let me know. I live in Sac and I see your in Davis so you can see the difference if you want. I'm putting the bbk on right now, but I should be done and driving next week. Let me know. Plus I have dyno sheets from when I changed to stage 2 so you can see what the potential hp difference is.

As for drivability it is spot on. Absolutely no issues with it under very extreme circumstances, tracking, autox, drifting, etc.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 06:26 PM   #11
CL 19
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blutattoo
I have stage 3 and love it. If you wanna drive it let me know. I live in Sac and I see your in Davis so you can see the difference if you want. I'm putting the bbk on right now, but I should be done and driving next week. Let me know. Plus I have dyno sheets from when I changed to stage 2 so you can see what the potential hp difference is.

As for drivability it is spot on. Absolutely no issues with it under very extreme circumstances, tracking, autox, drifting, etc.
Is it worth it to commute around the city that often stop and go? How's te gas mileage? I heard BMW won't offer extended once we tune using Dinan, have you ever heard about it? You are so kind bud! I will let you know once I decide to try it but now I won't be able to do it since I'm quite busy with assignments
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 09:00 PM   #12
blutattoo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CL 19 View Post
Is it worth it to commute around the city that often stop and go? How's te gas mileage? I heard BMW won't offer extended once we tune using Dinan, have you ever heard about it? You are so kind bud! I will let you know once I decide to try it but now I won't be able to do it since I'm quite busy with assignments
Well my gas mileage wasn't very good to begin with, but it shouldn't change much unless you use the throttle a bunch. I guess because it has more power you are more inclined to use it more often thus you'll get worse mileage, but not by much. If you don't drive aggressively you won't notice a huge difference, but when you merge, pull out to pass, those type of things you'll notice a big big difference.

As far as I know, it won't effect any warranty extended or not. I could be wrong, but unless the tune is solely responsible for the problem then legally they can't deny you warranty coverage. That goes for any tune or aftermarket parts. There has to be a direct correlation.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 02:48 AM   #13
jsmonet
Captain
United_States
Rep

i get 19.999omgwhydon'tyoueverhit20 consistently. i got 19 flat before the tunes. perhaps if i moved somewhere without this stifling mess we call traffic i could do just a bit better
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 12:33 AM   #14
CL 19
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Does it make the car sounds different? I know it's silly question but like PPK some guys said it makes your a bit louder because the tuning. Also, do I have to o back in stock once the time to do smog comes? Because I do smog once every two year due to buying a car out of state
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 01:07 AM   #15
jsmonet
Captain
United_States
Rep

no, not really. none of them actually make any of the cars sound different beyond exceptionally minor amounts of extra whistle as you push just a little more boost than normal.

you're looking at the meisterschaft, so you shouldn't worry about these insanely minute changes of tone btw, once you DO nail down an exhaust, make with the videos!
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 01:15 AM   #16
CL 19
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmonet
no, not really. none of them actually make any of the cars sound different beyond exceptionally minor amounts of extra whistle as you push just a little more boost than normal.

you're looking at the meisterschaft, so you shouldn't worry about these insanely minute changes of tone btw, once you DO nail down an exhaust, make with the videos!
Okay. I'm still not sure for the tune but Meisterscahft is on the waiting list for winter! I will post up a video soon after I'm done with it. Thanks bud!
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 02:59 AM   #17
jsmonet
Captain
United_States
Rep

oh, i completely missed the more important question in your post. no you don't have to go back to stock for smogging. they do a CEL check, emissions check, and done. since all of your equipment remains stock, it's all good. If you go stage 3, good luck finding a smogger who actually recognizes anything's changed, or even cares as long as you pass the sniffer.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 12:55 AM   #18
Mikbek
1Er Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i

Garage List
I have a 2012 135i with the N55 and a Dinan Stage II tune. The difference from stock is dramatic. I absolutely love this car with this tune. It pulls much harder especially once you hit about 2,200 rpm all the way to about 6,500 rpm. No flat spots, just brute torque. Gas mileage is same as stock unless you enjoy the tune and use the extra "oomph" which is as you would expect. I have put about 1,000 miles on the car since the Dinan tune and have absolutely no negatives to report. It turns a quick, fun little BMW into a brutally fast car. Super impressed...two thumbs way up!!!