E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Worst luck with my BMW came along!!!

02-19-2006, 02:28 PM   #1
krndanic307
Captain
Argentina
Rep
Drives: F20 M140

Worst luck with my BMW came along!!!

:mad: So yesterday I went with my gf to visit her relatives since it's her last week here in the states... When heading home in the city of downey I did a lane change when there was no car. I did a lane change because I had to turn to the left at the signal. All of a sudden I see a car behind me coming at a fast speed and he stops with time but being a fucking jackass he decided to tail gate me. So he is right at by my bumper, having a piece of shit car the guy had (fucked up honda CRX) looked like the horn wouldn't work. The guy kept honking at me until the signal almost turned green, at the beggining I didn't know he was honking... I was like it must be the car maybe is broken? when all of a sudden my body went foward and felt a lil tap from car to car. So I get out of my car to check if he was touching my car. When I see the car his license plate is right in my bumper, and the looking kinda like a gangster and on drugs or drunk he wanted to start shit with me. He was like "What's up foo? you got a problem"? What foo"? He was latino forsure I could tell with his accent. So I didn't wanna deal with him and my gf was like come back to the car he looks like a gangster (she was scared). So when the signal turned green I drove off making a left turn drifting and then he comes again. This time he gets in the lane next to me (left lane when I was in the right) he tried to tail gate me again, but this time I didnt let him So I tail gated him and got this license plate number. When I stopped to look at my car I have to little holes on my bumper because of the license plate bolts. The bumper looks like it has 2 pimples!!!! What do you guys recommend me to do? any advice? Right when this happened I called 911 to report him and do a police report but once they transfered me with downey PD I was already in the freeway heading to LA. I already did the insurance claim and they're going to trace the plate on tuesday. I'm scared if he doesnt insurance!! :mad: :mad: Im doooomed!! Gotta pay it myself!. Should I still do a police report? my insurace told me that is not required. Any advice plz?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2006, 02:32 PM   #2
ksfrogman
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i 6MT

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
ALWAYS document with a police report. He hit you from behind. Who is to blame is a no brainer. You may consider this a simple act of road rage, but it's also assault with a deadly weapon. I'm curious to see what some of the attorneys on e90post have to say about this.

You will undoubtedly be disappointed with the lack of care in which the police report will be obtained, but get one anyways.

I had a drunk redneck try to ram me off the freeway when I lived in Kansas City. I was driving a 1984 Supra and he had a primered hair ball Olds Cutlass.
      02-19-2006, 02:33 PM   #3
sdorn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Jet Black 325i

I would follow through on the police report. If nothing else maybe they can arrest the guy and charge him with assault. (He doesn't have to actually touch you for it to be assault, that would be battery).

As far as repairing the damage, the insurance company will fix it. If they can't recover from the other guy's insurance or if he doesn't have any, then it should be covered under your uninsured motorist coverage which may or may not cause your insurance to go up.
2006 Jet Black 325i (SOLD)
2001 Bullitt Mustang (450rwhp - SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2006, 02:39 PM   #4
3aficionado
Captain
Italy
Rep
Drives: 02 M3/RRover Super

Garage List
Absolutely still do the police report. If you need it in the future (insurance or otherwise) it will be there. If you don’t make the report there is no going back to make one.

You will need the report if it turns out this kid has insurance. Or, if you use your insurance you can hand over the police report and let your insurance collect from the guy.

Talk to your insurance agent (unless you are with one of those 800 number places). He/she can give you great advice on whether to make a claim based on your situation. It all depends on the cost of repairs, your deductible and how your insurance treats these types of claims (rates rise or loose no claim discount?).
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2006, 03:03 PM   #5
krndanic307
Captain
Argentina
Rep
Drives: F20 M140

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3aficionado
Absolutely still do the police report. If you need it in the future (insurance or otherwise) it will be there. If you don’t make the report there is no going back to make one.

You will need the report if it turns out this kid has insurance. Or, if you use your insurance you can hand over the police report and let your insurance collect from the guy.

Talk to your insurance agent (unless you are with one of those 800 number places). He/she can give you great advice on whether to make a claim based on your situation. It all depends on the cost of repairs, your deductible and how your insurance treats these types of claims (rates rise or loose no claim discount?).
When I called taked to the insurance agent she told me that the police report is not required/needed. Because it is 100% that he is at fault for rear ending. Im going to do to a police report on monday or wednesday.

As of the deductable it's 500$ insurance won't go up for hit and run. But I don't wanna pay for something that I didn't do. Pisses me off!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2006, 03:27 PM   #6
3aficionado
Captain
Italy
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by krndanic307
When I called taked to the insurance agent she told me that the police report is not required/needed. Because it is 100% that he is at fault for rear ending. Im going to do to a police report on monday or wednesday.

As of the deductable it's 500$ insurance won't go up for hit and run. But I don't wanna pay for something that I didn't do. Pisses me off!!!
Good thing to still get the police report... just in case. Unfortunately anything you decide to do you will you only have a couple options.
  1. Make the police report and see if the guy has insurance.
    1. Claim (with report in hand) directly with the kids insurance. No involvement of your insurance will definitely keep from loosing any No Claim discounts. Plus you will not need to pay any deductible.
    2. Claim with your insurance and let your insurance collect from the kids insurance. Only IF your insurance gets money from the kids insurance will your insurance refund your $500 deductible.
  2. Make the police report and find out this kid doesn’t have insurance.
    1. Claim with your insurance and let your insurance eat the cost or go after the kid. You are out $500.
    2. Claim with your insurance to get it fixed (same as above) and take the kid to small claims court to get your $500 deductible back. You would easily win with your girlfriend as a witness and a police report.

Depending on how much your time/effort is worth you may just want to write it off as a $500 bad day. Plus you may not want to take a suspected gangster kid to court and have to face an idiot with nothing to loose in life. The last thing you want is to give a punk like that any reason in his deranged mind to retaliate. That kids car probably isn’t even worth $500 so you taking money from him will only further enrage him.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2006, 03:42 PM   #7
thunderbirdsarego
Private
Rep
Drives: 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3aficionado
Depending on how much your time/effort is worth you may just want to write it off as a $500 bad day. Plus you may not want to take a suspected gangster kid to court and have to face an idiot with nothing to loose in life. The last thing you want is to give a punk like that any reason in his deranged mind to retaliate. That kids car probably isn’t even worth $500 so you taking money from him will only further enrage him.
He doesn't sound like a very successful gangster to me!

Call me perverse but I would be willing to be out of pocket to make sure something is registered against this guys driving record or better. One day he may do some real damage.

The last time I had someone try to run me off the road I was not in my E90 but in my running shoes. I think it's really important that we each contribute to getting people like that off the road - by legal means that is!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2006, 03:48 PM   #8
D.D.
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330 xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbirdsareg
I would be willing to be out of pocket to make sure something is registered against this guys driving record or better. One day he may do some real damage. I think it's really important that we each contribute to getting people like that off the road - by legal means that is!
:rocks: :rocks: :rocks: :rocks: :rocks: :rocks:
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2006, 03:55 PM   #9
3aficionado
Captain
Italy
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbirdsarego
He doesn't sound like a very successful gangster to me!

Call me perverse but I would be willing to be out of pocket to make sure something is registered against this guys driving record or better. One day he may do some real damage.

The last time I had someone try to run me off the road I was not in my E90 but in my running shoes. I think it's really important that we each contribute to getting people like that off the road - by legal means that is!
I couldn't agree more.

Unfortunately its unlikely the kid will get his license pulled for this stunt. If it was going to happen the police would have went after the kid right away and not waited a week for krndanic307 to file a report. I think criminally very little will happen to this punk. But every report on the kid will help brand him for future problems. And the police report will help krndanic307 in any civil matters.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2006, 04:11 PM   #10
NaTuReB0Y
Powered By 36DD
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90

Honestly, I don't think the cops will do anything......
Examples:
1. My brother's car got broken into in broad daylight and they took everything that they could take......and there were witnesses everywhere who got the descriptions of the jerks and their license plates. The cops just said, "Take this report and have your insurance take care of it." I'm like.....WTF? That was it........case closed!
2. One of my friends' house got broken into and they took about $8,000 worth of jewelries(wife's wedding ring too), PS2, games, DVDs, collectibles, etc.......and one of the thieves accidently dropped his cell phone behind.....and the cops didn't do anything about it. Have your homeowner's insurance take care of it....And his insurance only paid about $600(vandalism only) for fixing the broken window with the steel bars....and he still had to come up with the $500 deductible.......case closed! They didn't even look for fingerprints.......

Just report to your insurance and let them take care of it.......cops in Southern California have too much on their hands to be looking for hit and run scums.......I'll bet you that if you try to follow up on the case....they'll tell you that the car was a stolen vehicle....case closed!

It's reality.......
      02-19-2006, 06:23 PM   #11
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
I would file the report and also ask if there is something he can be charged with. Like Natureboy said, probably no way to track the scumbag. In my Utopian society, his dead body would be left by the side of the road for the morning clean up crew to collect.

Roaches should be sprayed with Raid.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2006, 06:31 PM   #12
ben1364
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 330iA

Sounds like (1) you cut him off and, (2) both of you acted in an immature manner. I suggest you forget it and be glad that nothing worse happened.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2006, 06:42 PM   #13
sbrentson
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Agree the ben1364. You handled the exchange poorly. Who's to blame you? It was a very quick exchange.

However, if we disregard the double case of road rage, he was definitely at fault. If he is insured, his insurance company will pay 100% of the repairs. That's his collision. Not your comprehensive. If not, you can certainly take him to small claims court. At the very least, if you file a police report, and it's discovered that he is not insured, he should have his license revoked. You could take that as satisfaction since it's not likely you'd be able to get any monitary settlement at that point.

Good luck and drive safe.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2006, 06:43 PM   #14
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

May I suggest you consider the following popular BMW raid dispenser accessory:[IMG] The problem of course, is both sides see the other as the roach, and everyone ends up getting dispensed. Is the USA getting Balkanized?
Attached Images

Last edited by stressdoc; 02-19-2006 at 10:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2006, 07:08 PM   #15
docbolo
BMW worshiper
Rep
Drives: M3/alpine/manual/prem/19"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP
In my Utopian society, his dead body would be left by the side of the road for the morning clean up crew to collect.

Roaches should be sprayed with Raid.
ledzep let me know if you run for prez cause i would vote for you.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2006, 08:10 PM   #16
Ethirtynine
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 Honda S2000

Since he bumped you, could that be considered hit-and-run?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2006, 08:33 PM   #17
Brunotheboxer
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben1364
Sounds like (1) you cut him off and, (2) both of you acted in an immature manner. I suggest you forget it and be glad that nothing worse happened.
i dont agree with this because cutting someone off does not give them the right to hit you. we all get cut off all the time and do we resort to smashing into them? i dont . i flip the person off and swear but then i just drive away. go with the police report and fix your car. hopefully it wont cost any money out of your pocket. good luck
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2006, 08:44 PM   #18
Matt_UKTX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrentson
Agree the ben1364. You handled the exchange poorly. Who's to blame you? It was a very quick exchange.

However, if we disregard the double case of road rage, he was definitely at fault. If he is insured, his insurance company will pay 100% of the repairs. That's his collision. Not your comprehensive. If not, you can certainly take him to small claims court. At the very least, if you file a police report, and it's discovered that he is not insured, he should have his license revoked. You could take that as satisfaction since it's not likely you'd be able to get any monitary settlement at that point.

Good luck and drive safe.
What are you guys talking about? Handled it poorly? If he had got out of the car with a shotgun and executed this parasite, that would have been a poor exchange. I don't see anything wrong in the way the OP reacted. I think he was EXTREMELY tolerant under the circumstances.

My advice... Pursue this pond scum to the limit of the law. Get his name and pursue HIS insurance company. By the way, isn't it illegal to drive in CA without liability insurance? So far you potentially have him on several things...

1) Driving without insurance (if this turns out to be the case)
2) Assault
3) Wreckless endangerment / Dangerous Driving / Driving without care and attention
4) Hit and Run

I would call the police (and the DA if needed) until they drag his a*s in and charge him.

Good luck...
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2006, 09:00 PM   #19
deutschmann59
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbirdsarego
The last time I had someone try to run me off the road I was not in my E90 but in my running shoes.
Same thing happened to me once. I was out jogging and some hs scumbag was out driving with his friends and they decided they'd try to run me over while I was on the sidewalk (where the sidewalk lowers to groundlevel, where cars can pull in and out of the parking lot). Anyway, he missed me by about 2 inches so of course I throw a fit and the guy gets out ready to fight.

The thing that pisses me off is I had my cell phone with me...I could have called in his plates. But the police here are very unreliable, and not only that, this kid had all his friends in the car...they could have easily chased me down and jumped me.

It turned out to be just a small pushing contest, but god was I mad :mad: . I called the police afterwards, but what could they do? I didn't have their plate or even a description of the car (I didn't even take notice in my fit of rage).

That's why the best thing to do whenever in a situation is STAY CALM. You've got to think fast and straight in a situation like that. It may be very hard, but that's what you've got to do. You can't get in people's faces....you've got to stay calm and just get their plate and report it.

For as much as I would have liked to kick the living $hit out that guy, his friends were all behind him, and it wasn't worth it. Yes, I agree with Led Zep about stopping people like this with "raid"

But, you also have a responsibility to take people like this down legally to make sure they're punished. If you have all the info on this guy, don't think twice. FILE A POLICE REPORT!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2006, 09:58 PM   #20
Huncowboy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5, '19 750i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben1364
WOW... Have you ever cut off anyone? I guess not. It happens. I did it just the other day and it scared the _shit out of me but it does happen. I even turned my head back, I probably saw the car with my eyes but it never registered in my mind. So I cut her off. I waved sorry and we both went on.

Why did he act immature? There is nothing indicating that in his post. He got out only once he got rear ended. He left when the best thing to do was to leave. I don't understand how that was immature.

But whatever.... I would file a report anyways. It won't change much but I would do it. Eventually this guy will get into trouble, the longer his history the longer the next sentence. Just my $0.02

my road rage story:
I saw an idiot once being cut off by an SUV. The lady in the SUV was on her phone and did not pay attention. That dude went off instantly. He cut her off like three times and finally ended up cutting me off as well by mistake. Then I honked. That was a big mistake and it was irresponsible of me. The guy targeted me from that moment on. So I called the cops. Finally he gets out of his car at the red light and comes to my window. He did not touch the car but spit on it while yelling obscenities. The dude looked like an escapee from a mental institute. I told him I am on the phone with the cops and I have his plates. So he yelled for another 10 seconds then he left the scene in a hurry. Probably he had a suspended license or somethign else to hide. Since there was no damage the cop talked me out of filing. He was even lazy to run the guy's plate. Thanks Coconut Creek PD! I should have filed anyways because this was/is an assault here in FL. I would have had no chance proving it but who knows may be the inconvenience of going to court would have thought him a lesson. This way he got off easy. Even better I should have called the cops the moment he was tailgating the lady and I should have never let myself involved in this by honking back at him.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2006, 10:05 PM   #21
sdorn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Jet Black 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huncowboy
my road rage story:
I saw an idiot once being cut off by an SUV. The lady in the SUV was on her phone and did not pay attention. That dude went off instantly. He cut her off like three times and finally ended up cutting me off as well by mistake. Then I honked. That was a big mistake and it was irresponsible of me. The guy targeted me from that moment on. So I called the cops. Finally he gets out of his car at the red light and comes to my window. He did not touch the car but spit on it while yelling obscenities. The dude looked like an escapee from a mental institute. I told him I am on the phone with the cops and I have his plates. So he yelled for another 10 seconds then he left the scene in a hurry. Probably he had a suspended license or somethign else to hide. Since there was no damage the cop talked me out of filing. He was even lazy to run the guy's plate. Thanks Coconut Creek PD! I should have filed anyways because this was/is an assault here in FL. I would have had no chance proving it but who knows may be the inconvenience of going to court would have thought him a lesson. This way he got off easy. Even better I should have called the cops the moment he was tailgating the lady and I should have never let myself involved in this by honking back at him.
That's why I have a concealed carry permit for a firearm. You never know what kind of person you might run into, and when someone might go crazy and try to kill you. There are road rage stories on the news here in Atlanta fairly often where someone lost it and killed someone. There are shootings and times where someone just runs someone off the road intentionally and kills them.
2006 Jet Black 325i (SOLD)
2001 Bullitt Mustang (450rwhp - SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2006, 10:26 PM   #22
Craigar
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 330I

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdorn
As far as repairing the damage, the insurance company will fix it. If they can't recover from the other guy's insurance or if he doesn't have any, then it should be covered under your uninsured motorist coverage which may or may not cause your insurance to go up.

Uninsured motorist coverage is for an injury , not the damage to your car.

FYI, you fill out a police report then it is public record where you live. If this guy wants to he can get the police report, come to your house and finish what he started.

My advice, let it go, pay to have it fixed and be glad he didn't blow your head off. Ohh and look before you change lanes and cut somone off next time.