BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-29-2012, 12:58 PM   #1
haggomyeggo
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

Wheel/tire question for a potential new owner

135 specific question....
i took a look at 2008 135i at a dealer this weekend
the previous owner had a set of old/replica late 90's m3 wheels on the car
17's with blizzak rubber in front and Michelin winter rubber in back.

however the TPMS sensor was always on in the car which i believe is b/c the owner did not or could not move the TPMS sensors over to the winter rims.

Now questions.

1. How much am i looking at to buy TPMS sensors if i can to put in these rims.
or

2. I know i cant drive all summer on those winter tires....ill tear them up.
ideally i would like to get the dealer to take some money off the price of the car so i can go buy some bmw or aftermarket rims that will have summer rubber and new TPMS sensors in them?

or i can just get summer rubber for the smaller rims and see about putting the TMPS onto the car....

which way should i look at. the car still looks good with the rim/tire combo on it now for size/fitment look. so i dont mind just putting summer rubber on the 17s...i just worry about the tpms sensor issue...
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 02:59 PM   #2
J0E
Year One of the 1
Rep
Drives: 135i 6MT 'vert

I'm not an expert but I did just pick up a set of winter wheels with TPMS sensors from tire rack.

For the sensors, Tirerack wanted ~$200. Discount tire wanted ~$300, and BMW wanted ~$400.

Personally I would try and use that as part of your negotiation to lower the price of the car. If there isn't a spare tire in the trunk, they shouldn't even be selling the car without the sensors or run flats. Is this a CPO?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 04:54 PM   #3
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
Is this a certified pre-owned car? If it is you should demand a correct set of tires and wheels (w/TPS) - BTW the correct tires would be runflats which will cost more and could be a bargaining chip with the dealer since they are crappy performance tires. If it's not a CPO you will want to find you own set of summer wheels. You may be able to buy a OEM set from someone on this site that is looking to upgrade, or you can upgrade yourself and get some aftermarker wheels. A good set of wheels and excellent tires (Michilen PSS) can run you ~$2400. That's actually less than a new set of OEMs with new runflats.
      05-29-2012, 05:13 PM   #4
BimmerE82
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i Sport package

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [7.00]
Like JOE stated above, that car shouldn't even be sold without the correct OEM runflat tires and OEM sensors in them. The car has no spare tire.
      05-29-2012, 08:42 PM   #5
Clovef
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

Do you really need tpms? I don't.
2011 BMW 135i DCT M Sport, black sapphire metallic,Coral red tint, black line tail lights, back grils, BMW Performance spoiler, Apex ARC8, 235/265 Dunlop ZIIs, Ohlins coilovers w/ Swift springs, M3 front bits, Whiteline rear sub frame bushings, Vorshlag camber plates, Stoptech pads, stud conversion, spacers, bms intake
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 11:12 AM   #6
haggomyeggo
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptack View Post
Is this a certified pre-owned car? If it is you should demand a correct set of tires and wheels (w/TPS) - BTW the correct tires would be runflats which will cost more and could be a bargaining chip with the dealer since they are crappy performance tires. If it's not a CPO you will want to find you own set of summer wheels. You may be able to buy a OEM set from someone on this site that is looking to upgrade, or you can upgrade yourself and get some aftermarker wheels. A good set of wheels and excellent tires (Michilen PSS) can run you ~$2400. That's actually less than a new set of OEMs with new runflats.
its not a CPO car. its an 08 with 36k(dealer is asking 22900...good/bad?) on the clock so the dealer said it still has some factory warranty but ill have to check with BMW on that, its got to be close on the in service date....
since its not at a BMW dealer I am going to have a PPI done at a BMW dealer before I sign the deal.
Also i found a guy with a set of 2008 135i rims and tires(the five spoke design, not my fav but at 500 for the set im not going to argue) with TPS in them and he said they should sync right up
But i am planning on trying to still talk the dealer down a little since im going to have to spend money to fix the tire issue and I am paying for the PPI...
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 02:20 PM   #7
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
Can't comment on the price, but you can probably check around for similar cars. When you take the car to a BMW dealer have them check whether the HPFP has been replaced yet or not. If it hasn't you might use that as another bargaining chip, but I don't know what the market is like for the car so you don't want to lose it over something that will not cost you anything to fix (10 year warrantee).